• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought Bloodborne and all I got was a Christmas CD

So I go to GAME Epsom (UK) and buy Bloodborne. Get a PSN 1 month thing too. Remember, this is sealed. The dude at the counter didn't open anything or put in a disc. I come back home, which is a bus ride away, and I get this.

aoWaz1y.jpg

SnbHzQ2.jpg

Belated April Fools on someone's part? It's April 2nd, and I'm not laughing. Whoever did this as an ill-advised prank, I had to pay £55 for this prank. I'd only find it funny if the Christmas CD actually played Bloodborne and I might even keep it for jokes, but the PS4 said it was an unsupported disc.

Not even an isolated case. I go back to the GAME shop and show them it. A dude is behind me with a copy of Battlefield Hardline. He ALSO got a Christmas CD.

O4v0ybt.jpg

THqly0c.jpg

Both copies were sealed. The GAME employee says it can't be their fault because it was sealed and they didn't tamper. It came from Sony. I tell him can't he just replace it with a correct copy? I tell him to check if other copies in the shop also have Christmas CDs. He can't replace it. So he gives me a slip for the Playstation Support telephone number. I come back home, and am puzzled at why this wasn't sorted then and there with at least a replacement. I call up Playstation Support, a dude named Jack, tells me it's not a problem with Sony. It's the retailer or the game developer's issue.

It's 6pm right now, so I can't go back to the store today. Tomorrow is Friday prayer so I'm going into town anyway to sort this out.

Pretty sure this is the seal for the game:
Bear in mind, I also bought a PS4 controller charger thing so I might confuse this seal shrink wrap thing with that product's, but I'm fairly certain this is the seal for the game I find in my bin cause of the contours. Got PS4 lines on it.

iei0CP98YZPRW.jpg

Resolved.
Sorted it out. Like the reversible cover more. They apologised. Their management said they've had similar cases, so they're investigating into their distributor.

ZuWNMp4.jpg

MOLLlwO.jpg

Rich!

Do not buy from GAME.

I bought Luigi's mansion preowned there once. I took it out of the store after paying, opened it, and the disc was scratched to hell and so I took it back inside.

They refused a refund because I broke the label seal they placed on the case. I told them to fuck off.

Vol5

April Foo.....oh wait

I'd go back to GAME and royally kick off. This is clearly for them to resolve.

Bsigg12

What kind of shrink wrap was on it? The one with the folded ends that's done in a factory or the one that seem all crinkled up because the case was put into a shrink wrap bag and then hit with a heat gun?

Either way, that sucks OP. If anything you and the other guy could be exposing someone of potential theft from within the store.

Zomba13

They gutted the copies and resealed them maybe? Or maybe before the shipment arrived someone unpacked a bunch of games and resealed them with christmas music.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Probably wasn't sealed. At least not with original factory sealing. Dude probably opened it, took the disc and re sealed it with a machine that does just that.

How was it sealed? Did it have that PS4 ribbon on it? Swap jobs in the pressing plants do happen, but two different titles in the same store is pretty bloody unlikely.

Just an FYI, people have found ways to open the sealed copies very carefully, sometimes using steam to undo the sticky residue. Then pull the case out enough to open the bottom. Then they pull the disc out, and put another disc in and push the case back up into it. Then resealed the folks plastic bottom. We had someone do this a few times at a local store I worked at years ago so it started becoming mandatory that any returns we got, even if sealed, were opened on the spot. Eventually we got the person trying to do a return a few times and got em! It's either someone at the store or a repeat customer.

In this case GAME should refund you and check their stock, it's nothing to do with Sony.

This. The retailer is obligated to give you a replacement and they have to take it up with their supplier.

Edit: Especially as the second guy had a different one in line with you too!

Uhyve

Pretty sure that the official Sony plastic wrap has a shiny PS4 logo running along the bit that you tear. If you've still got it, you can at least see if it was some dude at GAME who rewrapped it (I mean, I'm pretty sure that most GAME stores have a machine to do this).

Reule

They definitely gutted those copies and then resealed. Someone is lying their asses off. Keep the pressure on the store to get an actual copy or at least a refund.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hear a lot of issues with GAME. I'm actually surprised people are still doing business with them. As much as people trash on Gamestop, the couple of times I've gotten a broken disc, etc, they immediately replaced it with a new copy. No questions asked.

Ganondorfo

Everywhere I go I hear the name Bloodborne, at work, on reddit, on neogaf, outside, on tv. This game is probably so big right now. I feel like this game is going to be the game of the generation when it ends, I never witnessed something that big of hype of a game.

GAME is where people sell their stolen goods.

I'd bet money they're lying about it being sealed, they likely shrinkwrapped it themselves and don't want to deal with it.

My guess is that they took sealed copies as trade-ins and didn't bother to check them, because the £ signs lit up in their eyes.

Everywhere I go I hear the name Bloodborne, at work, on reddit, on neogaf, outside, on tv. This game is probably so big right now. I feel like this game is going to be the game of the generation when it ends, I never witness that big of hype of a game.

It's the defining game of the gen. so far that's for sure.

Decider

Lighten up, OP. Just talk to the manager at GAME or their customer support. You'll get your game or your money back and you got a funny story out of it.

Can you remember if it was an official plastic wrap with the tear off strip or was it crinkled around the edges? If the latter, its likely been resealed as (this is going back some years) most stores had a plastic wrap machine out the back. But the issue is definitely with GAME, the long and short of it is any issues with the product (faulty or otherrwise) is down to the retailer. If they don't back down and refuse to do anything ask to speak to the manager, if that doesn't work ask for the contact number for the regional manager.

Edit:
GAME is where people sell their stolen goods.

Nah, nowadays its CEX and Cash Convertors. Mate is a manager of a CC and fairly regularly has to contact police about suspected stolen games.

gossi

Under UK law they *have to* replace it. It's defective. Ask for manager. If manager can't help ask him to phone head office and pass you phone. If he won't do that, call them on mobile right there.

Somebody working in the store or supplier stole the discs.

mekes

I can't lie, I'd be angry at finding out and furious at Game playing the blame game. Its their responsibility.

Don't shop there anymore OP.

soultron

Banned
Fracas time.

(In all seriousness though, that's so fucked up.)

If it happened to two different people, I'd say that it's up to the store to correct the mistake. There's a very low chance the two of you are in cahoots.

Ask for the head office number with the sales rep. They will sort this.

It's not completely unheard of to find games that have the wrong disc/no disc at all straight from the factory, even if it's factory sealed. Pressing problems like this unfortunately happen more often than you'd think.

...but the fact that it happened with Battlefield too definitely points to something like employee theft as being more likely.

Top Bottom