• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be a PSV3000 this year? Revealed at TGS?

I really feel the Lime Vita 2000 and about to import it via Play-Asia.

But I am wary that a PSV3000 is in the works and will be released this year… any thoughts on this?

No Love

Banned
Vita is dead, bro. Unlike PSP which sold gangbusters, I doubt a future revision is coming. Sony sadly seems to be moving away from the Vita inch by inch until they can retire it quietly. Bah.

Ventara

Sony has showed that the Vita is pretty much dead to them. They will not be investing in another iteration.

Highly doubt it. The 2000 is already good enough, in my opinion, outside of the screen technology debate. Any changes made towards the Vita will likely be internal.

Eggbok

Nah Vita is dead, Morpheus is now in the spotlight. Or at least making it's way to center stage, while Vita exits.

Is it expensive to R&D something like that? Wouldn't the slimmer model cost less to produce and eventually same them some money? Or would it requires millions of units sold just to make it worth it?

Nevertheless, if Sony was really serious about pushing Vita as a remote play device, a Vita 3000 with L2|R2 and L3|R3 would be totally logical.

Fat4all

Banned
If Sony want's to continue their trend of better sales quarters by cutting out certain markets/products, then they will do the right thing and not even try Vita 3.

If it makes it cheaper for Sony to manufacture then maybe? It still sells enough in Japan that I wouldn't count it out. However it probably wouldn't be a real improvement over 2000 for consumers outside of price cut.

But as said above I guess it depends how much they would need to invest in R&D and such. I'm no expert on the matter :).

I mean they released the friggin europe only cheapo PSP E1000 model when the console was basically dead, or at least way more so than Vita is in Japan.

Kriken

I know there are people who love the Vita, but what would a revision do for it? A minor bump in sales? That wouldn't really be worth the time and effort from Sony

ajim

I wish. I wish the vita had a better life so we could get a vita 2 or whatever. It'll never happen tho.

Love my vita :-(

Fat4all

Banned
All their R&D money is probably tied up anyways.

They have the Morpheus coming up and they are probably working on a PS4 Slim.

Shizuka

Some of you think the OP is talking about a successor. It's not the case here, the OP is talking about a Vita redesign, a third model after the OLED Vita and Vita-2000. Just in case that was not clear enough.

If they do make a 3000, I wouldn't expect it to come to North America. Probably not Europe, either. And I'd expect it to be something along the lines of the PSP E1000: something done to cut costs, not to improve on previous models. At this point, what could you change about the Vita to make it better anyways, besides get rid of the proprietary memory (which I doubt Sony will ever do)?

styl3s

3000 is the number of units it would sell.
Have they even sold 3000 Vitas to date? Best Buy here could make a 1:1 scale of a castle with all the borderland bundles they have.

If i could get my hands on a brand new pre-2000 model, the OLED version for like $100-150 i would bite but until then i slum it with the vita tv.

AmyS

All their R&D money is probably tied up anyways.

They have the Morpheus coming up and they are probably working on a PS4 Slim.

Morpheus, PS4 Slim and much further down the line, PS5.

Sony has no reason for another iteration of VITA, much less a successor.

Have they even sold 3000 Vitas to date? Best Buy here could make a 1:1 scale of a castle with all the borderland bundles they have.

If i could get my hands on a brand new pre-2000 model, the OLED version for like $100-150 i would bite but until then i slum it with the vita tv.

I dont know what to say.

Elios83

Umm can't say it's impossible, but really unlikely.
The sales volume is too low, even introducing a new model wouldn't change things at this point, cutting the price doesn't make sense either because the uptick in sales would be really modest and wouldn't offset the lower margin (not to mention that you can already find a Vita 2000+different digital games bundled+8GB memory card at 169$ easily) so they would just invest in something without a meaningful return.
Also the system doesn't have a long life left anyway, I doubt it will survive past 2016, so it doesn't make sense to invest in a Vita 3000 and they clearly don't any any plan to relaunch the system, actually they have pretty much decided to abandon it to focus on PS4.

n0razi

Make it in the pap go form factor with 5" OLED . Also make the sticks clickable.. rest of the specs same as psv2000 and ill buy it

Snakeyes

For those if you saying no, this is the same company that put out a $1000 Walkman into an almost nonexistent dedicated audio player market.

I say they give their handheld division a proper send-off while optimizing the hardware for Remote Play on PS4, and probably even PS5. Better processor, 720p, slightly bigger display, clickable analogs, two sets of shoulder buttons and SD card storage. I'd probably buy one before a New 3DS.

Wow… you guys are sure negative about the Vita's prospects…

The Vita enjoys a 20k+ weekly sales in Japan which is on par with the weekly sales of the N3DS XL.

This is Japan ALONE and not even counting the sales in SEA (which is quite substantial given the amount of Traditional Chinese and English subs for Japanese Vita games released and to be released for SEA)

The PSP went through PSP GO PSP3000 and the e1000… the Vita only has the 1000 and 2000… surely, there has to be a PSV3000 in the works RIGHT NOW at Sony's R&D.

Sony went on to work on the PSV2000 RIGHT AFTER the Vita1000 launched… so… you know?

AetherZX

If they won't bring back OLED, at least use their smartphone LCDs in another possible revision.

More onboard storage wouldn't hurt either.

Fat4all

Banned
For those if you saying no, this is the same company that put out a $1000 Walkman into an almost nonexistent dedicated audio player market.

Expect those Walkman's are still profitable for Sony. It's a niche market, but audiophiles love them and are willing to buy them. Sony just knows not to make too many of them.

Top Bottom