• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony continues to sabotage certain European PS Stores

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
More specifically; Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Kuwait, Lebanon, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the UAE.

Sony has this requirement that if a countrys PS Store is translated, ALL content must have their store pages descriptions translated or else the country won't get the content at all. Rating boards are not involved with this except for Russia in some cases.
Most publishers do translate their descrptions whether it's properly or by using Google Translate, but some publishers just refuse to. The main culprits being Natsume, Arc System Works (update: 5pb joins in) and some smaller, mostly indie publishers. They translate their descriptions to English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and maybe some other language and then calls it a day.
Even then countries like Austria and Switzerland who uses German, French and Italian sometimes get excluded for some mysterious reason. But Germany, France and Italy gets it.

I noticed this week that Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE missed out on two games this week along with the usual countries, and they won't get Arc System Works' upcoming game Damascus Gear either, even though they did get their earlier games. So I assume that an Arabic-translated store is imminent.

I think this is totally unreasonable and ironic. French, Italian, German and Spanish? Sure, that's the norm. But the games are most of the time English-only and in some cases support EFIGS, so why are store translations to other langauges required? Lots people know English well enough, and to just dismiss those people in those countries frustrates me to no end. Even the countries with the highest English knowledge rate after the UK gets excluded because their stores are translated, while some of the countries with the lowest knowledge rate gets English descriptions. If they really need those translations they should start something along the lines of the Steam Translation Service where people can contribute with translations.

If this requirement doesn't stop more countries will get excluded and in the end some games will only release in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Awesome, right?
Who can I send my compaints to?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I vaguely remember Disgaea for the Vita not being available on the Polish PSN because of this.
I sent N1 an email telling them that I can translate the description for free if that'd allow them to put the game on PSN, but they never got back to me.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I vaguely remember Disgaea for the Vita not being available on the Polish PSN because of this.
I sent N1 an email telling them that I can translate the description for free if that'd allow them to put the game on PSN, but they never got back to me.
Yeah, Disgaea 3 Vita, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and all their DLC were affected by this at the same time in Poland, Sweden and Denmark. Disgaea 3 was made available about a year ago, not Neptunia mk2 though. Too much DLC i suppose.

I don't understand why some shit has to be restricted by regions. Like, i want that toro theme but for what purpose is it exclusive to japan

Joqu

Yeah, I wanted to buy Maken Shao (ps2 classics game) a while ago but it wasn't available on the dutch Belgian PSN store because of this. I sent an email to the publisher offering to translate the description and they were actually quite supportive at first but in the end they declined, I guess because of legal reasons?

Really unfortunate.

I don't understand why some shit has to be restricted by regions. Like, i want that toro theme but for what purpose is it exclusive to japan

It's infuriatingly stupid. Still can't buy Duke Nukem on the German store. I would change regions but I've already bought stuff with my current account.

There is talk of a possible EU ruling coming in which will no longer allow regional sales restrictions (something like that), hopefully it will apply to digital marketplaces.

Mr Moose

Huh? I have it, and I live in the UK (had to buy it though, is it free in Japan?).

This one, right?

iMupGMpRTTktr.png

I caught on to this incompetence when these branches of PSN first opened. Truth is, by that point I had already invested way too much into my US PSN account, so it wasn't like I was going to switch if they were competently run. Still, the first thing I tell anyone jumping into the PlayStation ecosystem is "US account or don't bother".

For some reason, charging €69.99 is not enough for Sony in Finland. Battlefield Hardline digital on PSN costs €72.99!!

The Xbox One digital version is €69.99 so this makes no sense at all. Crazy either way, because you could pick them up for €60 day one on retail.
and Anttila was offering 30% discounts so you could actually get it for €41.96, got Bloodborne for that price

Huh? I have it, and I live in the UK (had to buy it though, is it free in Japan?).

This one, right?

Japan had a PS+ Toro theme long before Europe got that one. At least in that matter Sony listened to the people asking for such a theme and made it available. (The Vita version was even free for a while.)

thebloo

For some reason, charging €69.99 is not enough for Sony in Finland. Battlefield Hardline digital on PSN costs €72.99!!

The Xbox One digital version is €69.99 so this makes no sense at all. Crazy either way, because you could pick them up for €60 day one on retail.
and Anttila was offering 30% discounts so you could actually get it for €41.96, got Bloodborne for that price

Publishers set PSN prices.

myco666

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Fuck me for not living in UK or US I guess.

What Anttila had that offering? I haven't noticed these.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
There is talk of a possible EU ruling coming in which will no longer allow regional sales restrictions (something like that), hopefully it will apply to digital marketplaces.
Right, I forgot about this. I really hope it goes through so Sony (and in some cases Nintendo) stop doing this.
I caught on to this incompetence when these branches of PSN first opened. Truth is, by that point I had already invested way too much into my US PSN account, so it wasn't like I was going to switch if they were competently run. Still, the first thing I tell anyone jumping into the PlayStation ecosystem is "US account or don't bother".
I would if I already hadn't spend a lot of money on my European account. And if it didn't mean I had to wait longer for US games to arrive, not being able to order some games from outside the US, miss out on pre-order stuff and such.

thank you very much, my good sir. i've waited a long time for this

now, as a complaint of how Ps4 themes work in general, when I select one of the tabs from the home menu, the background goes back to the original blue swivly line. I wish at the very least that we could pick the color of that line if we're still going to fucking see it after switching to a theme, or make the themes more dynamic by adding backgrounds to the tabs.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
To publishers who can't afford to spend 10 minutes on Google translate?
I have tried. Believe me, they won't budge. Some publishers have claimed that they are working on it though, but that's the minority.
I meant someone who works at Sony who is in charge of these things. Pestering publishers about translations isn't the most effective way, especially when they just ignore you.

Kyoufu

SCEA is garbage in different ways.
SCEJ is probably the best.

As far as PSN Stores go, the US store is by far the best. Pre-loads, midnight releases, lots of content.

JP store is a wasteland on PS4 and the notable content won't even have a pre-load or midnight release half the time. EU stores are all overpriced trash.

So just buy them from the US store then like everybody in Europe can and does. Problem solved.

This is really just creating problems where there aren't any. Sony is great when it comes to the region freedom of their online stores.

The eu psn store is a mess and lacks so much compared to the us store. It has been like this for a while and I can't believe there are not doing anything about it.

andshrew

I have tried. Believe me, they won't budge. Some publishers have claimed that they are working on it though, but that's the minority.
I meant someone who works at Sony who is in charge of these things. Pestering publishers about translations isn't the most effective way, especially when they just ignore you.

There surely must be more to this than just a translated store description if there are publishers that are still refusing to do it even with offers of free translations from the community?

I can on the one hand see why Sony may want all of their stores content to be in the native language of that country, but at the end of the day it is a little pedantic when the actual content being sold isn't translated anyway.

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Fuck me for not living in UK or US I guess.

What Anttila had that offering? I haven't noticed these.

All of them. You could enter your phone number on Anttila's website to get a text message, then you show the message on your phone and a Plussa at the checkout. It was 30% off any game, very sweet. It happened on Bloodborne release week, which was some great timing.

Publishers set PSN prices.
I'm actually going to say no. At some point in 2014 some €60 games became €62 and some €70 games became €73 for no reason. GTAV on PS3 was €70 when it came out, but became €73 after this mysterious Finnish price increase. This even happened across publishers. GTAV on PS4 launched at €70 though, so it's not consistent at all!

And this does not happen on Xbox or Steam, this 2-3€ increase is only on PSN.

In Belgium its only because lot of games are not translated in dutch...

And French , German speaker have less content because of that ...

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So just buy them from the US store then like everybody in Europe can and does. Problem solved.

This is really just creating problems where there aren't any. Sony is great when it comes to the region freedom of their online stores.
Then tell me how I can access the US store while on my European account on my Vita.
There surely must be more to this than just a translated store description if there are publishers that are still refusing to do it even with offers of free translations from the community?

I can on the one hand see why Sony may want all of their stores content to be in the native language of that country, but at the end of the day it is a little pedantic when the actual content being sold isn't translated anyway.
Maybe, but in most cases the countries being excluded have their store translated. Country selector here.
The Danish PS Store is not translated. It's in English.
Try opening this link in a private window. I don't know why the store is in English when opening the store normally or when using a console either. Totally pointless.

Top Bottom