• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sayonara UmiharaKawase + |OT| Rubbering action at 60 flames per second

ZeroAKA

zVSTRbF.jpg

Qfaadem.jpg

kFahUtx.jpg

BcABrdC.jpg

LpIwKFE.jpg

OT created with help from baekshi and InfiniteNine. This should have been up sooner, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of posting it from my phone.

Eolz

That's a pretty OT!
Will wait for more info on the physical version before buying it (already have the 3ds one).

Shizuka

The japanese release is within two days, right? I'll wait to see if it has english subtitles, even if it cost me almost triple of the digital release.

wilflare

In console war threads ;)
OT is obvious enough

Nice! Hope this release isn't too limited since I won't preorder it.

:p #BestOnVita isn't about console warz haha (at least for me it isn't :X)

hmm if there's an Asian release with JP/ENG options, I'm happy to help get it and send it to fellow GAFfers

Erm, I was enjoying the Vita title despite the rather crud presentation and menu design (and annoying tutorials in the first levels).. but then I gave the included original a shot. And WOW, I forgot just how GOOD it was. Just about everything (aside from level select?) seems to have been done better in the original. It is much more fluid, I feel like I have much more control, and everything runs at a brisk and fluid pace.. a huge difference. I felt like a Ninja breezing through the first level.

Was the original SNES release this smooth?

Great package though, happy to see this game return.

wilflare

Erm, I was enjoying the Vita title despite the rather crud presentation and menu design (and annoying tutorials in the first levels).. but then I gave the included original a shot. And WOW, I forgot just how GOOD it was. Just about everything (aside from level select?) seems to have been done better in the original. It is much more fluid, I feel like I have much more control, and everything runs at a brisk and fluid pace.. a huge difference. I felt like a Ninja breezing through the first level.

Was the original SNES release this smooth?

Great package though, happy to see this game return.

guess I should really get this!

Yasumi

Banned
Got a bit of an audio stuttering glitch when I took a screenshot. Closing and reopening the game fixed it.

Also, asdfgfdsa unexpected clams in level 14. Seems like they can be used as an anchor, so you can hook them, drop down a ledge, then use them to pull yourself up.

Responding to a post from the other thread:

How's the emulated SNES game? Or is the PSX episode?
I'd like to know if the emulation is better or worse than on the NDS compilation.

Comparing my copies of the Vita and DS version side by side, the only thing I'd really say the DS version has going for it over the Vita version is that the color is closer to the original (it's possible sound is different too but my ear isn't discerning enough.)

Other than that, the game is excellent on the Vita. It plays great, has translated menus, configurable controls, and gives you some basic filtering options. Plus, it adds in a practice mode so you can jump in and try any level you've reached any time, like the PSX game. In my amateur opinion, I'd probably say it's the new definitive version of the original.

Eolz

:p #BestOnVita isn't about console warz haha (at least for me it isn't :X)

Was saying that partly joking, as hashtags are getting used a bit too much in this way (didn't see you using it in that way, don't worry and sorry about that).

Responding to a post from the other thread:

Comparing my copies of the Vita and DS version side by side, the only thing I'd really say the DS version has going for it over the Vita version is that the color is closer to the original (it's possible sound is different too but my ear isn't discerning enough.)

Other than that, the game is excellent on the Vita. It plays great, has translated menus, configurable controls, and gives you some basic filtering options. Plus, it adds in a practice mode so you can jump in and try any level you've reached any time, like the PSX game. In my amateur opinion, I'd probably say it's the new definitive version of the original.

Thanks for the info, nice to know!

Edit:
So this is a platformer? I've never heard of the game before.

It's basically a weird platformer based around physics. You should watch InfiniteNine's stream above :p

Cmagus

Didn't know this was coming to the US. I'll be picking this up it'll give me a reason to dust off the Vita.

wilflare

Was saying that partly joking, as hashtags are getting used a bit too much in this way (didn't see you using it in that way, don't worry and sorry about that).

Thanks for the info, nice to know!

Edit:

It's basically a weird platformer based around physics. You should watch InfiniteNine's stream above :p

no worries man! hmm shall see if i can get a PSN card to buy this

takoyaki

Great OT, more people need to know about/play Umihara Kawase.

The game is fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed playing through the 3DS version. My only complaint with that version was the framerate and the Vita version seems to fix that. At $20 I'd call this a blind buy for people who love challenging oldschool platformers that reward you for learning the controls. Will double-dip on the Vita version :)

Am I the only one that prefers the included SNES original?

Does the SNES version ever unlock level select? Or is it expecting me to play through the game in one sitting?

Does the SNES version ever unlock level select? Or is it expecting me to play through the game in one sitting?

Practice Mode lets you play any single level you've been to before, but clearing the stage doesn't take you to the next one. You only unlock new stages by reaching them in the main game, which starts at Field 0. Still, you can reach a proper ending in as few as 9 doors, I believe, and any given field should be no more than 15 doors from the start.

I had absolutely no idea this was coming to the US. Is this the first Umihare Kawase game to do so? I played the original in Japanese and loved the hell out of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I had absolutely no idea this was coming to the US. Is this the first Umihare Kawase game to do so? I played the original in Japanese and loved the hell out of it.
Sort of, if you don't count the 3DS version, which this is based on but has additional content.

I'm honestly pretty surprised by how much has changed in this version. Beyond just adding new levels and features, there's new models and animations and all sorts of stuff.

One cool new thing is the overhaul of the Replay system. You can upload replays to the game's server, so that when someone sees your ranking on the leaderboards, they can check your uploaded replay. Like, for example, I have the top time in S0->S1 right now, so you can go look at my replay and tell me how cool and good at videogames I am :D
until someone beats it very shortly lol
You can specifically see which replays your PSN friends have uploaded too.

Really, really digging this version so far.

Yasumi

Banned
Holy crap, the squids are terrifying. And they made 33 even harder than it was.
It has spiral shellfish on the platforms you have to hook onto now. Took me like 100 tries on the 3DS version. Might need to double or triple that. ;-;

@MUWANdo

Banned

The Vita version is an enhanced port of a 3DS game that was released internationally last year (Natsume changes the name to "Yumi's Odd Odyssey" for North America).

Top Bottom