• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sayonara UmiharaKawase + |OT| Rubbering action at 60 flames per second

Bowl0l

iphgMMYXsV5Sr.jpg

Compared to the game description in PSN store:
Completely re-worked for the PlayStation®Vita, play as `Umihara Kawase` - a 20 year old backpacking Japanese sushi chef armed with a fishing rod, a rubber fishing line and a fishing hook. Avoid fish-like enemies, conveyer belts, spikes, watery pits, time travel and more. Make your way to the end of each level, collecting items and finding along the way. The deeper in to this dream-like game players venture, the more challenging the solutions and the greater the time pressure becomes. Along the way, look out for shortcuts and secret exits and unlock bonus levels.
It is the elasticity of Umihara’s rubber fishing line that has always set this franchise apart from all other rope games, giving unprecedented levels of mobility and discovery. Tightening the line or giving lots of slack can be the difference between success and failure. The bungee like nature of the fishing line allows the player to stretch down to otherwise unreachable areas or be catapulted upwards.

Why the game description didn't mention that it comes with the 1994 version?

I hadn't considered the off day, but hey, Agatsuma confirmed it themselves, as well as EU pricing: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Sayonara+UmiharaKawase++/news.asp?c=64994

Also worth noting is the tweets from the KawasePlus account were RT'd by the company who Agatsuma probably worked with in orchestrating a global release: Kiss Ltd. in London. They are also the account's only follower.

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-clark/4/815/298

Head of Marketing – Kiss Ltd. Establishing the marketing & PR function. Kiss is a publisher of digitally downloadable video games.

Marketing Consultant - Agatsuma, Japan. Creating and implementing a global launch strategy for Sayonara UmiharaKawase + on PS Vita

Would be nice if their Twitter had more followers (Agatsuma themselves don't appear to be on Twitter, neither are the devs), seems like this launch will be a quiet one :(

I hadn't considered the off day, but hey, Agatsuma confirmed it themselves, as well as EU pricing: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Sayonara+UmiharaKawase++/news.asp?c=64994

Oh god, yess. Whatever, I'll believe it and hope it actually turns up. Pretty excited to play it and the original
Also worth noting is the tweets from the KawasePlus account were RT'd by the company who Agatsuma probably worked with in orchestrating a global release: Kiss Ltd. in London. They are also the account's only follower.

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-clark/4/815/298

Head of Marketing – Kiss Ltd. Establishing the marketing & PR function. Kiss is a publisher of digitally downloadable video games.

Marketing Consultant - Agatsuma, Japan. Creating and implementing a global launch strategy for Sayonara UmiharaKawase + on PS Vita

Would be nice if their Twitter had more followers (Agatsuma themselves don't appear to be on Twitter, neither are the devs), seems like this launch will be a quiet one :(
Yeah I saw the retweet by Kiss myself and thought it was strange, as I only know them as a Steam publisher. Interesting

Prelude.

Maybe if we pester Agatsuma enough on social media, they'll patch an English language option into the JP version?
I don't know, since they bothered to remove the language selection for a simultaneous release it seems like they're trying to discourage imports. And I guess it's in their best interest that you buy a digital copy, after all.

Shizuka

I don't know, since they bothered to remove the language selection for a simultaneous release it seems like they're trying to discourage imports. And I guess it's in their best interest that you buy a digital copy, after all.

It's worth a shot, I guess. I'd do it if I used Twitter.

0dk3jVN.png

yhOWvJ8.png

SCEE once again confirming that they don't allow publishers to set their own prices on the PS Store. Poor Agatsuma Entertainment. This game's fucking doomed.

Genki

In addition to the pricing issue it's not even available here in Norway, or in Bahrain, Denmark, Finland, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Poland, Sweden, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE.

Genki

Cool about the pricing.

A sliver of hope (not for the regional issues though..)
Hmh1Eev.png

Yeah sure, which is why you see all those small titles which aren't available in random countries on Steam, right? There's clearly some kind of SCEE policy causing this.

Yeah sure, which is why you see all those small titles which aren't available in random countries on Steam, right? There's clearly some kind of SCEE policy causing this.
Absolutely. It seems like SCEE requires something from the publisher that many just don't feel is worth the effort. It's store translations for one, but probably something else as well. That's 100% SCEEs fault and them blaming the publishers is a joke.

Explain a list like that
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine

I'm sure the pub just "chose" not to publisher in all of these countries

Mzo

Question about the SFC original, which is included in the game:

every time the character is killed by an enemy, a pink cloth pops up and drifts around in the wind.

Those....aren't her panties, are they? I don't know what else they could be, though...

It's like a Rorschach test. I'm writing down your results.

But seriously, backpacks would fall heavier than that, right? R-right?

I'm glad more people get to play the SNES game now. It feels so much better than the newer games.

I think this is a really interesting example of how a game can be remade to fit different hardware's strengths and weaknesses. I just noticed that the specular maps and effects on objects and enemies have been removed, but replaced with textures to simulate the effect. Look at the ducks here for example:

3DS release:
hsSxV4h.jpg

Vita release:
bfjHsd6.jpg

While the Vita version loses those effects, it gains better environmental lighting, which is best evidenced in the "sunset" stages (see below). Makes those levels look a lot richer than they did, where they were pretty plain looking before.

MxmVKHP.jpg

I also think the removal of shiny reflective specular effects suits the majority of the level designs a lot more, they now feel more organic and natural, whereas before the effects made everything look a bit like figurines -- the trees are a good example. The approach the team took on 3DS suits the "bathroom" stages better, but the other level types don't look so hot.

Agatsuma posting a technique video on their youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFwey5Tahc

Impressive, but any info as to how you pull off those techniques? I can sorta envision it in my mind but without direction I'm a bit stumped as to how to effectively use the rod/elastic rope to navigate stages. I tend to flounder about barely making it through stages! I like the concept of the game, but wish I knew how to properly play it.

There is a trophy that says "Capture the Tadpole", does anybody know how to do that? I've beaten the giant tadpole in both the original version and the newer one, but I don't know how to go about "capturing" him. Or if it's referring to something else entirely.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how many playable characters there are in the game?

We got a copy for Lone Stars and we did a Let's play of it that went really well, and will be going up soon.

I'm so absolutely in love with this game. It's challenging and rewarding, and it works great on the PSTV. Could use some faster loading times, though.

Here's hoping for a PS3/4 port too. Just bumping up the IQ would be enough for me.

Went back to this game today, determined to make some real progress on it. You know when you play a game and it just clicks? That happened.

The controls are indeed slightly weird to begin with but once you play around with them, learn the best ways to propel yourself and the best ways to reach platforms you begin to look at the game differently. Previously unreachable areas become reachable, and the game becomes a whole new level of fun. Its challenging, but really rewarding when it does click. I did the time attack mode for the first route (completing the game on level 9) and managed to snag another silver trophy which was ace. I can see myself really enjoying this game now.

The inclusion of the original game is also excellent, its smooth and looks great on the Vita. I don't like the respawning enemies though, they are a pain in the ass at times, I finally manage to reach an area only to be met with a fish killing me!

Also, on the original game how do you beat
the Giant Tadpole?
. He moves from left to right jumping, then walks from right to left so I use my rod to drop down and hang off a platform to avoid him. However at no point do I see an opening or weakspot. I must be missing something, but all I found was an extra life under the starting point.

There is a trophy that says "Capture the Tadpole", does anybody know how to do that? I've beaten the giant tadpole in both the original version and the newer one, but I don't know how to go about "capturing" him. Or if it's referring to something else entirely.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how many playable characters there are in the game?

I'm playing the Japanese version (wanted a physical copy), so I can't confirm 100% that I got the capture the tadpole trophy, but I did get a trophy when I did the following:

Defeated the boss on stage 9. After he takes the third hit he will then shrink to a regular size enemy - you have a small window to grab him with your fishing rod. So quickly stun him and then reel him in to capture him. At that point I got a trophy which I assume is the one your talking about.

Not done a count on the character total, but I think its around 6?

Also, on the original game how do you beat
the Giant Tadpole?
. He moves from left to right jumping, then walks from right to left so I use my rod to drop down and hang off a platform to avoid him. However at no point do I see an opening or weakspot. I must be missing something, but all I found was an extra life under the starting point.

I'm playing the Japanese version (wanted a physical copy), so I can't confirm 100% that I got the capture the tadpole trophy, but I did get a trophy when I did the following:

Defeated the boss on stage 9. After he takes the third hit he will then shrink to a regular size enemy - you have a small window to grab him with your fishing rod. So quickly stun him and then reel him in to capture him. At that point I got a trophy which I assume is the one your talking about.

Not done a count on the character total, but I think its around 6?

To beat the giant tadpole in the original version, you just have to let him go back and forth about 5 times and just hide and kill or avoid the little frogs when the spawn. After the 5th or so time, the he will just jump into the water and swim away.

And you were right about capturing the tadpole in the new version, thank you very much!

As for characters, I'm guessing I don't have them all unlocked. There is a trophy for playing with all of them that I don't have yet. So far I have 5 characters available:

Umihara Kawase
Umihara Kawase (Shun)
Emiko
Umihara Kawase (Childhood)
Noko Yokoyama

EDIT: I just unlocked
Umihara Kawase (Original)
after acquiring 15 backpacks. After playing one level with her I unlocked "The Whole Gang". So looks like there are 6 playable characters.

To beat the giant tadpole in the original version, you just have to let him go back and forth about 5 times and just hide and kill or avoid the little frogs when the spawn. After the 5th or so time, the he will just jump into the water and swim away.

And you were right about capturing the tadpole in the new version, thank you very much!

Ok, I don't think I'd have thought of that, I'd get impatient before waiting for the boss to just swim away!

Glad to hear that trick worked for you :)

rjc571

Banned
Well, I'm cancelling my order for the JP version at Play-Asia. Turns out that because I also preordered the new Rhythm Heaven game in the same order, neither game would ship until after Rhythm Heaven is released (and only then if both games were in stock). I'm undecided if I still even want the physical release, or if I should just wait for the US version to drop in price (I refuse to pay $20 for a digital game).

Well, I'm cancelling my order for the JP version at Play-Asia. Turns out that because I also preordered the new Rhythm Heaven game in the same order, neither game would ship until after Rhythm Heaven is released (and only then if both games were in stock). I'm undecided if I still even want the physical release, or if I should just wait for the US version to drop in price (I refuse to pay $20 for a digital game).

I've had much better experiences with Nippon Yasan personally. They are cheaper than Playasia and the shipping times are far quicker.

Anyway, I've played more of the game today and managed to beat the crab boss in the "new" version of the game. Also managed to make it further in the Snes original version. The respawning enemies suck though, makes reaching some areas unbelievably frustrating (really bad design decision).

On the new game, level 35 can go screw itself. The trampolines are the most unreliable mechanic in the entire game as far as I'm concerned, any tips on the best way of handling them?

SerTapTap

Got a Japanese copy of this coming eventually, How playable is it with know knowledge of Japanese? I assume pretty simple? Though I might just buy the English version too since it's only $20. Wanted the figure...

Got a Japanese copy of this coming eventually, How playable is it with know knowledge of Japanese? I assume pretty simple? Though I might just buy the English version too since it's only $20. Wanted the figure...

Only the tutorial and menu's are in Japanese and those are easy to get the gist of. Its real simple to play with no knowledge of the language.

Eolz

Just remembered it's on sale on EU PSN (-50%)!
I remember some of the later stages being really hard, snes and 3ds versions, hope someone can help you, but sometimes, being patient is the only way :/

Prelude.

Jesus christ, that was brutal, I almost got to 100 tries but I somehow did it. Even if I did manage to pass that part multiple times the momentum always made me drop into the water right at the very end.

I don't think it's actually possible to do what the first guy does in the Plus version, there must be some slight variation in the level, even when hanging from the lowest possible pixel I can't reach down enough to pass under the corner without using momentum.

Samemind

The trick is to use the elasiticity of the tether to get that greater-than-max length to give you the trajectory to make it. Which does mean it requires good timing on your part.

Prelude.

The trick is to use the elasiticity of the tether to get that greater-than-max length to give you the trajectory to make it. Which does mean it requires good timing on your part.
Yeah, that's how I did it and that's why it was so hard but, as you can see here, he just slides to the right with no "extra" length, that's just not possible in Plus.

Top Bottom