• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood PC Performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
wolf14tobsysreqsqmoe0.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Skip intro videos: Navigate to SteamApps\common\Wolfenstein The Old Blood\base\bink and rename loadvideo_pc_xboxone.bik to something else.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Graphics quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Custom
Anti-aliasing: Disabled; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x; 32x
Virtualtexture cache size: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Virtualtexture compression: Disabled; enabled
Virtualtexture CUDA acceleration: Off; On; Smart
Virtualtexture max PPF: 16; 32; 64
Virtualtexture filtering: Bilinear; Trilinear
Virtualtexture anisotropic: Low; Medium; High
Virtualtexture LOD bias: Slider with distinct values

Virtualtexture page fade: Disabled; Enabled
Shadow resolution: 2048; 4096; 8192
Character shadows: Disabled; Enabled
Dynamic object shadow quality: Off; Low; Medium; High
Character shadow quality: Low; Medium; High
Depth of field: Medium; High
Godrays quality: Off; Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Radial blur quality: Off; Low; High
Screen-space reflections: Disabled; Medium; High

Subsurface scattering: Disabled; Enabled
Haze flare: Disabled; Enabled
Ambient occlusion: Disabled; Enabled

FLAguy954

I'll report my performance in the morning :(.

The download has slowed considerably recently on Steam...

Fuck.

Btw, thanks for the thread OP.

idTech 5 continues to be a weird, kind of not great engine. The huge number of additional options is very nice to have this time out, I look forward to more knowledgeable people figuring out what should be left off. And I can confirm that 32x anti-aliasing is not a viable option. Darn.

Edit: I should say that it's running well for me. I'm on an i7-2600k @ 4.3, and a 980. I'm playing at 1440p and am getting solid 60 with slightly tweaked settings, AA is only at 2x and I turned down/off reflections and that haze effect as I remembered they weren't great visually or performance wise in TNO.

So far running well. Having some frame drops here and there, but nothing major. Titan X @ 4k and all max settings, except AA off. Can't compare TNO, since I played on ps4.

Edit: Get white flickers when turning the camera quickly using an fov above default. Changing it back to 80 seems to fix it.

x3sphere

Is the AA setting MSAA?

I'm getting a locked 60 at 3440x1440 with everything maxed, texture compression disabled. Had to turn AA down to 2x though. VRAM usage hits around 4GB

i7 5930k
Titan X@1300 MHz
32GB RAM

Is the AA setting MSAA?

I'm getting a locked 60 at 3440x1440 with everything maxed, texture compression disabled. Had to turn AA down to 2x though. VRAM usage hits around 4GB

i7 5930k
Titan X@1300 MHz
32GB RAM

Does the game give you a VRAM budget when configuring the settings?

Really, that should be a standard feature in every PC game. Especially for those of us with a single 970. Don't want to push past that 3.5 ceiling...

x3sphere

Does the game give you a VRAM budget when configuring the settings?

Really, that should be a standard feature in every PC game. Especially for those of us with a single 970. Don't want to push past that 3.5 ceiling...

Nope but I'm guessing if you run into any issues just turn on texture compression and you'll be fine. In the past id Tech 5 games that's the only setting that really caused VRAM usage to shoot up.

FrsDvl

Getting terrible graphical artifacts, i'm guessing it's cause of Windows 10. Using a 7970 3Gb Ram.

Never mind solved it, rolled back and drivers and its fine now!

Everything on Ultra, CUDA streaming is greyed out (Titan X), 4XMSAA, High SSR, No texture Compression

Flat 60 the entire time.

Putting on 8XMSAA causes drops into the high 40s. I am quite surprised that the game has more GFX options then Wolf TNO. Pleasantly surprised in fact.
Has the performance gone up or down compared to TNO?

Seems rather similar to me.

Deepo

Everything on Ultra, CUDA streaming is greyed out (Titan X), 4XMSAA, High SSR, No texture Compression

Flat 60 the entire time.

Putting on 8XMSAA causes drops into the high 40s. I am quite surprised that the game has more GFX options then Wolf TNO. Pleasantly surprised in fact.

CUDA streaming is greyed out when texture Compression is turned off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Runs fine but AA decimates my performance. Even 2xMSAA has a fairly huge performance hit, most noticeable in combat.

CUDA streaming is greyed out when texture Compression is turned off.
Hrm. Not seeing any reason to have it on then necessarily then. I have more than enough VRAM to deal with uncompressed textures. That is unless the performance increase is substantial.

TJP

Don't forget the old trick from The New Order of creating a new folder within the \Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\MachineGames\ directory. Create a new folder named 'Wolfenstein The Old Blood' within the folder named 'MachineGames'.

By doing the above, two files will be written once The Old Blood is started:

FileCache000.bin
FileCacheHeader.bin

This will enable the game to cache file data and hopefully smooth out any frame rate and pop-in issues.

Vash63

Don't forget the old trick from The New Order of creating a new folder within the \Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\MachineGames\ directory. Create a new folder named 'Wolfenstein The Old Blood' within the folder named 'MachineGames'.

By doing the above, two files will be written once The Old Blood is started:

FileCache000.bin
FileCacheHeader.bin

This will enable the game to cache file data and hopefully smooth out any frame rate and pop-in issues.

There's actually a bunch of caching options in the Advanced Video Options menu in game this time. That trick might not be necessary anymore.

In other news, can't play it yet because it has a fullscreen bug on Windows 10. Haven't tried on Windows 8 to compare to but when I go into fullscreen I can only see the bottom 3/4 of the screen, the whole screen is shifted up and the bottom of my screen is just left black.

TJP

There's actually a bunch of caching options in the Advanced Video Options menu in game this time. That trick might not be necessary anymore.
It can't hurt to try it..I think it's fixed the pop-in issues I had with The New Blood but YMMV ;)

Considering TNO ran pretty good on my laptop and had higher system requirements than this, I am thinking that I can run this game pretty easily once again. Probably not at 60fps, thuogh, but 30fps is good enough for me.

Will report back later today with specs.

d00d3n

Flat 60 the entire time.

Have you tried running 3840x2160 DSR? I haven't tested The Old Blood yet, but that resolution seemed to hold 60 fps in The New Order (with multi aa disabled). Titan X user here as well.

holygeesus

Banned
AA is definitely a resource hog. Using all the default Ultra settings, except AA at 2x and it is hitting 60 most of the time here so far.

3570k/970/16GB RAM all stock.

Vash63

Textures are popping in left and right whenever I turn the camera. Any way to fix this?

I remember it being a lot better in RAGE and TNO when you enabled CUDA mode in the settings. Haven't tried on this one yet though due to the Windows 10 issue (which seems likely a Microsoft problem).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll try this!

FYI, the option is forcibly disabled if you don't opt to compress the textures (if you check the first screenshot in the OP you'll notice it's greyed out), presumably because it's not required.

Truant

FYI, the option is forcibly disabled if you don't opt to compress the textures (if you check the first screenshot in the OP you'll notice it's greyed out), presumably because it's not required.

Yeah, I saw that too. Does the texture compression look noticeably worse? Not at home so I can't check myself.

Nifta

Neo Member
Yep. CUDA is an Nvidia system that's used here to offload texture decompression from the CPU onto your GPU. If you're using uncompressed textures, it has no purpose.

If you've got a strong CPU and weaker GPU, you should probably leave it disabled anyway.

Nifta

Neo Member
Radial Blur makes things like fireball explosions look more distorted. It simulates heat haze too.

Vash63

Yep. CUDA is an Nvidia system that's used here to offload texture decompression from the CPU onto your GPU. If you're using uncompressed textures, it has no purpose.

If you've got a strong CPU and weaker GPU, you should probably leave it disabled anyway.

You think so? I'd think that not having to decompress in RAM and then copy to VRAM would still be faster even with a fast CPU.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I find it odd that Ultra sets AA to 8x but SSR to Medium.

I'd hazard a guess that it's not 8xMSAA but 8xCSAA (or EQAA for those Red fellas) so essentially 4xMSAA + 4 coverage samples. Going by that logic 16 would be 4xMSAA + 12 Coverage Sample and 32 would be 8xMSAA + 24 Coverage Samples.

Screen Space Reflections is usually a one of hit regardless if there are any reflective surfaces in the game and in Wolf TNO the performance cost was massive with them set to Ultra, where as 8xCSAA over 4xMSAA would be quite a negligible hit and only a tiny bit more VRAM used. 8xMSAA would be a massive increase in performance cost and VRAM usage that I doubt anyone has a card capable of running at a decent framerate.

Sijil

I don't suspect there's much difference between TNO and Old Blood is there? If I could run TNO at ultra (with Shadow resolution slider at half, can't remember the settings well) 60 FPS I should be good here right?

My specs would be i7 4790 stock (non k), 770 4GB and 16GB RAM DDR3.

What vsync option is best? The game just downloaded so I haven't had any decent time to test. I have set it off in the game and have adaptive forced in the control panel but I am getting tearing.

Edit: It seems like vsync on (not adaptive) in the nvidia control panel has (so far) removed the tearing. Edit 2: And of course brings about 30fps with any frame drop.

I have tried numerous combinations of in-game, Riva Tuner, control panel and none remove the tearing other than vsync on (not adaptive).

Edit 3: Fullscreen windowed is also causing tearing. It seems a little less so with in-game adaptive vsync and full screen windowed mode but is still there.

Window mode seems to eliminate screen tearing (I also have in-game adaptive vsync on). It is a small price to pay as I hate screen tearing.

Moff

Textures are popping in left and right whenever I turn the camera. Any way to fix this?

I won't do the same mistake like in rage and TNO and spend hours trying to fix this, I'll just enjoy the game with the popping.

Have you tried running 3840x2160 DSR? I haven't tested The Old Blood yet, but that resolution seemed to hold 60 fps in The New Order (with multi aa disabled). Titan X user here as well.

Haven't tried yet, I definitely will when I get home though.

Has anyone gotten OSD to work with the game yet? It did not work for me this morning when I tried.
I'd hazard a guess that it's not 8xMSAA but 8xCSAA (or EQAA for those Red fellas) so essentially 4xMSAA + 4 coverage samples. Going by that logic 16 would be 4xMSAA + 12 Coverage Sample and 32 would be 8xMSAA + 24 Coverage Samples.

Screen Space Reflections is usually a one of hit regardless if there are any reflective surfaces in the game and in Wolf TNO the performance cost was massive with them set to Ultra, where as 8xCSAA over 4xMSAA would be quite a negligible hit and only a tiny bit more VRAM used. 8xMSAA would be a massive increase in performance cost and VRAM usage that I doubt anyone has a card capable of running at a decent framerate.

What you are saying sounds right, but experientially this game's 8XMSAA option was much harder on my hardware than 4XMSAA, perhaps implying that it wasn't just 8XCSAA.

Genio88

My download is almost done, should i just start the game on my r9 290 OC or wait about 3 days until my new GTX 980 arrives?

Top Bottom