• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Josh Earnest calls black reporter a "slave" to her profession

Status
Not open for further replies.

IpsoFacto

yxplk72hq144.jpg

Source: Youtube

Methinks Josh needs to work a bit more on his PR skills. It's probably true in his mind he was making a joke, but I'm not sure many people will see it that way.

It's an expression. Seems like people want to make something out of nothing. Did your hearing drop out when he said 'to your profession?'

I honestly don't see the big deal.

In reference to a reporter attending a concert in a town that has recently been hit by riots in desperation for news, this isn't a controversial use in context.

Where did you even stumble across this video?

BigDug13

It's a real shame that people police jokes like this on a regular basis. Especially when it's such a reach sometimes.

Maybe if he said it, then winked at her, and then high-fived another white guy standing slightly offscreen there would be a problem...

...in its current incarnation, no.

-MD-

Outrage culture.

People are going out of their way to seek out things that offend them. There's nothing here.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Maybe if he said it, then winked at her, and then high-fived another white guy standing slightly offscreen there would be a problem...

...in its current incarnation, no.

Or had a huge pause after slave of some shit. You're a slave.....to your profession.

Hex

Banned
Poor choice of words, but obviously there's no ill intent here.

It is not a god damn poor choice of words.
For fuck sake.
It is people trying to invent something that is not there.
Stop trying to treat people like they are cripples and can not even hear certain words without breaking or getting offended, or if an entire people can not even hear certain words without getting offended I do not even know what to say.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It would be helpful if the OP could provide a list of completely ordinary words and phrases that should not be uttered in front of black people so that we can all avoid making grievously racist mistakes such as the one so bravely reported in this thread.

I was expecting an awkward emphasis on the word or something, but there's nothing there.
Outrage culture.

People are going out of their way to seek out things that offend them. There's nothing here.
This is more like pre-emptive outrage at "outrage culture" before anything has even happened (using a poor example to boot).

Aiii

So not worth it
It would be helpful if the OP could provide a list of completely ordinary words and phrases that should not be uttered in front of black people so that we can all avoid making grievously racist mistakes such as the one so bravely reported in this thread.

Whatever you do, for the love of god, don't ever mention to Grace Jones that she is a "slave" to the rhythm.

Poor choice of words, but obviously there's no ill intent here.

It is not a poor choice of words, it just requires intelligence on the other end to know what the person meant. People shouldn't have to walk on eggshells, the bar needs to be higher for how we interprete what is said.

Africanus

This reminds me a tad of the U.S. military's "Chink in the armor" incident.

Expressions are a rich part of the English language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom