• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: An explanation of rumors/reporting/sourcing

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Interesting

Hi everyone. I'm Jason Schreier, a reporter at Bloomberg News. I enjoy reading this subreddit but often see a lot of misunderstanding here about how reporting works, so I thought I'd make a quick post to help clear things up. If you've ever seen a rumor and wondered where it came from and whether to believe it, this might help out.

Let me break down where information comes from.

Secondhand sources

Nintendo's buying Microsoft? Well, I heard it from someone who heard it from someone...

Many of the rumors posted on this subreddit are coming from secondhand, thirdhand, or even more distant sources (when they're not simply made up). There are a couple of Discords where this kind of information is circulated, and often that gets out to the public through Twitter, podcasts, etc. Someone in localization for PlayStation passed along a message that got passed to someone who knows someone who dropped it in chat and bam, there's suddenly an account tweeting cryptic emoji.

These rumors sometimes turn out to be correct, but the further removed from the original source you get, the more likely that something gets garbled along the way. Also, the folks sharing information from these kinds of sources are less likely to be diligent about making sure everything is buttoned up. They're also more likely to be vague and cryptic because they know they don't really have the goods.

Single primary source

This is where people often get into trouble. Let's say I have a trustworthy source in Nintendo's marketing department who correctly told me about the next Mario and Zelda games in advance. So when they tell me that Nintendo is buying Microsoft, I believe it. But, uh oh, turns out they just heard that from a boss at the lunch line and didn't actually know for sure, and because I haven't corroborated it elsewhere, I'm totally wrong and have egg on my face.

Some of the stories you'll see on this subreddit come from reporters or rumormongers who heard their information from a single source with firsthand knowledge of the information involved. This is often going to be correct, but not always. Sometimes that source might not have complete knowledge or might be making their own assumptions about what's going on. For example, someone at Microsoft might have insight into what's going on at one of their subsidiary studios, but that subsidiary might also be managing up and making things seem rosier than they seem.

The recent Dead Space 2 remake debacle is a good example of when this becomes an issue. Most companies use code names to refer to a single project, but Motive used the same code name to refer to whatever the Dead Space team's next project was going to be. Let's say the code name was Water Bottle. It'd be very easy to hear from a reliable EA source that "Water Bottle" referred to "Dead Space 2 remake" (because perhaps that source saw a pitch document saying as much) but in reality, Water Bottle referred to an ambiguous idea that was continually shifting and "Dead Space 2 remake" was only one possibility considered.

So if your reliable EA source tells you that Water Bottle was in development for a year but recently shelved, you might interpret that as "the Dead Space 2 remake was in development for a year but recently shelved," when in reality it means that "this team's next project, which changed frequently, was in development for a year but recently shelved."

Most reporters/insiders/leakers/whatever have a hard enough time convincing a single person to share information with them, let alone multiple, so it's always tempting to share something when you've heard it directly from a primary source. But when you don't corroborate pieces of a story with more than one person, it's very easy to hear incomplete information and make assumptions or overextend yourself. (I have certainly done it!)

Multiple primary sources

If you see a story come from a major news outlet, it is most likely based on the reporter speaking to multiple people with direct firsthand knowledge of the information in question. Many professional reporters will sit on stories until they've corroborated them with multiple firsthand sources. If I had a dollar for every scoop I missed out on because I only had it from one source, I would have at least, I dunno, twenty dollars.

This is the gold standard at outlets such as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg News, etc. If someone has a pristine track record, this is probably the mantra they are following. It's very rare for a story based on multiple primary sources to be wrong, but of course it happens! Everybody makes mistakes, and there's a lot of nuance to gathering and sharing information.

Documentation

Video footage, screenshots, emails, audio recordings. This is also a primary source (and, when combined with testimony from the person who sent it over, often meets the standard I just described) although of course can be easily faked.

A good rule of thumb is that if you see a slanted screenshot or blurred footage on the internet somewhere, it's most likely phony, but if a reporter such as Tom Henderson describes the content of a game based on a video he saw that he says he can't share, it's probably real.

(It appears that some insiders over the years have also gotten their information from YouTube or blog backends, which I don't know as much about.)

In conclusion

The next time you see a rumor or a report, whether it's a reputable news outlet or some random Twitter insider, ask yourself what they know and how they might know it. Compare an account like Pyoro, which only posts concrete, tangible things about upcoming Nintendo Directs, to, for example, that one random dude with the Silksong avatar who has made vague, lofty claims about all sorts of games and publishers. ("It's a trilogy, but it could have more games in the future since it has become a very important IP." - lol come on)

Think about whether the person posting the information might have one source or multiple, whether those sources are secondhand or primary, and who might or might not know about this. And of course, pay close attention to the reporter's track record and go from there.

Hope that all helps, and good luck sorting through the pile of nonsense that is the internet!

Meme Think GIF

dottme

He wasn’t part of the group of reporter who didn’t want to report stolen information.

But all the method describe here is to steal information from the company.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fairly level headed post from jason and why i trust him more than others. He works for Bloomberg now and they wont let him print a story with just one source. plain and simple. The Tom Hendersons, colin moriarty and jeff grubb dont follow those rules which is why they might get it wrong every now and then.

I do think this post was needed because people tend to dismiss rumors if they dont like the sound of them. Its a neat little window into video game journalism that I appreciate. Thowing a bitch fit over this innocuous little post shows lack of maturity similar to what Jason displays on twitter.

CamHostage

Good post there by Jason but this is journalism 101. Sports reporting works the same way.

True, but the number of people who don't know journalism 101 (including some who have ended up doing journalism) is vast.

Also, the methods of journalism have changed drastically in the social media era of PR, anonymous blogging, and direct-source newsmakers. There have been leads generated on Twitter or LinkedIn or whatnot from the creatives or cast members or others involved with the project that would usually be "the story", no press release needed... except that it gets more complicated when PR gets involved or the involved poster is joking or there's a hack involved or just something is off about the post.

OJ's family announced today that he's dead, for instance; that's the news, straight from the source... but a pro has still got to call around to find somebody who can verify that this is true. (And then that pro gets to post their news much later, because who knows how long it'd take to get ahold of somebody still close to the Juice, or find nurse who is going to break HIPPA and tell this to a random reporter over the phone, and so their confirmed, accurate story ends up buried under all the immediate Twitter recircs.)

Rumor sourcing is complicated. I've had officials lie to my face about things I knew for a fact. I've had sources needle me to post info to get progress moving on an issue their team otherwise had to stay silent on. And I've had facts in my own company confirmed and denied by the only two people who knew what the status of the circumstances was.

Last edited:
Fairly level headed post from jason and why i trust him more than others. He works for Bloomberg now and they wont let him print a story with just one source. plain and simple. The Tom Hendersons, colin moriarty and jeff grubb dont follow those rules which is why they might get it wrong every now and then.

I do think this post was needed because people tend to dismiss rumors if they dont like the sound of them. Its a neat little window into video game journalism that I appreciate. Thowing a bitch fit over this innocuous little post shows lack of maturity similar to what Jason displays on twitter.
It was a window into *journalism*, plain and simple. There are clear ethical rules you follow as a reporter. Which is why normally a reporter would have gone to college to learn how to become one. Has nothing to do with whether you cover videogames, movies, books, government policy, etc. It was no different when he worked at Kotaku. Back then they operated same as any other reputable site. He’s a reporter. A good one.

He left Kotaku for a six figure salary at Bloomberg, and because Kotaku sold and was taken over by Jim Spamfeller and became a cesspool. As did everyone else who used to work there who was any good (Hamilton, Totilo, Hernandez, etc,).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It was a window into *journalism*, plain and simple. There are clear ethical rules you follow as a reporter. Which is why normally a reporter would have gone to college to learn how to become one. Has nothing to do with whether you cover videogames, movies, books, government policy, etc. It was no different when he worked at Kotaku. Back then they operated same as any other reputable site. He’s a reporter. A good one.

He left Kotaku for a six figure salary at Bloomberg, and because Kotaku sold and was taken over by Jim Spamfeller and became a cesspool. As did everyone else who used to work there who was any good (Hamilton, Totilo, Hernandez, etc,).
you must not follow the shit that gets posted on here from other reporters who dont follow the basic journalism 101 rules hes talking about.

this post was precisely needed because guys like grubb report whatever they hear without getting multiple sources and clarification on what they are actually reporting. i.e. was it a game? or was it a pitch? or was it a concept? or was it just something a dev threw around during a meeting?

watch Jason's reporting on the Sony bend fiasco. he had an incredible amount of detail for what was effectively an article about naughty dog and VSG. He got everything right too. The remake, the VSG studio shake up, the sony bend new IP. grubb just tweets anything and everything he hears.

Lions Gate

Interesting

Hi everyone. I'm Jason Schreier, a reporter at Bloomberg News. I enjoy reading this subreddit but often see a lot of misunderstanding here about how reporting works, so I thought I'd make a quick post to help clear things up. If you've ever seen a rumor and wondered where it came from and whether to believe it, this might help out.

Let me break down where information comes from.

Secondhand sources

Nintendo's buying Microsoft? Well, I heard it from someone who heard it from someone...

Many of the rumors posted on this subreddit are coming from secondhand, thirdhand, or even more distant sources (when they're not simply made up). There are a couple of Discords where this kind of information is circulated, and often that gets out to the public through Twitter, podcasts, etc. Someone in localization for PlayStation passed along a message that got passed to someone who knows someone who dropped it in chat and bam, there's suddenly an account tweeting cryptic emoji.

These rumors sometimes turn out to be correct, but the further removed from the original source you get, the more likely that something gets garbled along the way. Also, the folks sharing information from these kinds of sources are less likely to be diligent about making sure everything is buttoned up. They're also more likely to be vague and cryptic because they know they don't really have the goods.

Single primary source

This is where people often get into trouble. Let's say I have a trustworthy source in Nintendo's marketing department who correctly told me about the next Mario and Zelda games in advance. So when they tell me that Nintendo is buying Microsoft, I believe it. But, uh oh, turns out they just heard that from a boss at the lunch line and didn't actually know for sure, and because I haven't corroborated it elsewhere, I'm totally wrong and have egg on my face.

Some of the stories you'll see on this subreddit come from reporters or rumormongers who heard their information from a single source with firsthand knowledge of the information involved. This is often going to be correct, but not always. Sometimes that source might not have complete knowledge or might be making their own assumptions about what's going on. For example, someone at Microsoft might have insight into what's going on at one of their subsidiary studios, but that subsidiary might also be managing up and making things seem rosier than they seem.

The recent Dead Space 2 remake debacle is a good example of when this becomes an issue. Most companies use code names to refer to a single project, but Motive used the same code name to refer to whatever the Dead Space team's next project was going to be. Let's say the code name was Water Bottle. It'd be very easy to hear from a reliable EA source that "Water Bottle" referred to "Dead Space 2 remake" (because perhaps that source saw a pitch document saying as much) but in reality, Water Bottle referred to an ambiguous idea that was continually shifting and "Dead Space 2 remake" was only one possibility considered.

So if your reliable EA source tells you that Water Bottle was in development for a year but recently shelved, you might interpret that as "the Dead Space 2 remake was in development for a year but recently shelved," when in reality it means that "this team's next project, which changed frequently, was in development for a year but recently shelved."

Most reporters/insiders/leakers/whatever have a hard enough time convincing a single person to share information with them, let alone multiple, so it's always tempting to share something when you've heard it directly from a primary source. But when you don't corroborate pieces of a story with more than one person, it's very easy to hear incomplete information and make assumptions or overextend yourself. (I have certainly done it!)

Multiple primary sources

If you see a story come from a major news outlet, it is most likely based on the reporter speaking to multiple people with direct firsthand knowledge of the information in question. Many professional reporters will sit on stories until they've corroborated them with multiple firsthand sources. If I had a dollar for every scoop I missed out on because I only had it from one source, I would have at least, I dunno, twenty dollars.

This is the gold standard at outlets such as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg News, etc. If someone has a pristine track record, this is probably the mantra they are following. It's very rare for a story based on multiple primary sources to be wrong, but of course it happens! Everybody makes mistakes, and there's a lot of nuance to gathering and sharing information.

Documentation

Video footage, screenshots, emails, audio recordings. This is also a primary source (and, when combined with testimony from the person who sent it over, often meets the standard I just described) although of course can be easily faked.

A good rule of thumb is that if you see a slanted screenshot or blurred footage on the internet somewhere, it's most likely phony, but if a reporter such as Tom Henderson describes the content of a game based on a video he saw that he says he can't share, it's probably real.

(It appears that some insiders over the years have also gotten their information from YouTube or blog backends, which I don't know as much about.)

In conclusion

The next time you see a rumor or a report, whether it's a reputable news outlet or some random Twitter insider, ask yourself what they know and how they might know it. Compare an account like Pyoro, which only posts concrete, tangible things about upcoming Nintendo Directs, to, for example, that one random dude with the Silksong avatar who has made vague, lofty claims about all sorts of games and publishers. ("It's a trilogy, but it could have more games in the future since it has become a very important IP." - lol come on)

Think about whether the person posting the information might have one source or multiple, whether those sources are secondhand or primary, and who might or might not know about this. And of course, pay close attention to the reporter's track record and go from there.

Hope that all helps, and good luck sorting through the pile of nonsense that is the internet!

Meme Think GIF

VvRuKX.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So basically - don't hold us accountable for our bullshit rumors, but please keep clicking on them and signal boosting please

MarkMe2525

Glad Jason Schreier took a moment to jerk himself off on Reddit. There is nothing here that anyone with a functioning brain who has been on the internet for a while couldn’t work out themselves.
You say that, yet this sort of extrapolating and consumption of shady sourced rumour, is the lifeblood of Neogaf. It would do well, for many in here, to read these words and put some of these considerations into their posting toolbelt.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

People here hate on Jason S., and I may disagree with him over his political views, it he is absolutely right with this post.

It might be common sense and Journo 101, but vast majority of gaming “journalists “ and “influencers” are missing that.

you must not follow the shit that gets posted on here from other reporters who dont follow the basic journalism 101 rules hes talking about.

this post was precisely needed because guys like grubb report whatever they hear without getting multiple sources and clarification on what they are actually reporting. i.e. was it a game? or was it a pitch? or was it a concept? or was it just something a dev threw around during a meeting?

watch Jason's reporting on the Sony bend fiasco. he had an incredible amount of detail for what was effectively an article about naughty dog and VSG. He got everything right too. The remake, the VSG studio shake up, the sony bend new IP. grubb just tweets anything and everything he hears.
Yeah I’ve never once said anything in defense of Jeff Grubb. I’m quite certain of that. I can only say that Schreirer is a great reporter, and he is a real journalist through and through. Hence why he works at Bloomberg now and makes probably more than I ever will. Deservedly so. He’s also now an accomplished author, as well. I think book 3 is even in the works.

Last edited:
People here hate on Jason S., and I may disagree with him over his political views, it he is absolutely right with this post.

It might be common sense and Journo 101, but vast majority of gaming “journalists “ and “influencers” are missing that.
Influencers have no education or formal training in how to be a journalist or a reporter. That’s the whole problem with going to YouTube influencers for your news. (Which to be clear: No one should do).

There is a way to do it and it’s the only way. It’s all as he laid out in his post.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

The problem is any dufus can create a wordpress site with a snazzy game focused domain name, buy a cool looking theme and crank out a shitton of clickbait articles and call themselves a "journalist". So yeah, guys like Jason S. do at least have the credibility of having come up the ranks through legit news organizations. Those are people who actually learned the trade. Of course, that doesn't mean they still don't have a big of shitty tricks at their disposal. I think we have all probably seen shitty characterizations of news by real journalists using crappy tactics to push a narrative. Jason S. ain't above that sort of thing especially when it comes to pushing his personal politics which, like you, I don't agree with. But I don't see Jason S. trying to boost a podcast every week or two with a scoop like Jez Corden seems to do. When Jason does have a scoop.....I believe him even if I don' t like him.

Last edited:

Coconutt

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

So cringe why is this guy talking to us like children. Boiled down to believe whatever I post cause of muh sources.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Influencers have no education or formal training in how to be a journalist or a reporter. That’s the whole problem with going to YouTube influencers for your news. (Which to be clear: No one should do).

There is a way to do it and it’s the only way. It’s all as he laid out in his post.

Yep, but the issue is a LOT of people go for these influencers for information, news and reviews. So that's all they know. You can see it in this very thread.

The problem is any dufus can create a wordpress site with a snazzy game focused domain name, buy a cool looking theme and crank out a shitton of clickbait articles and call themselves a "journalist". So yeah, guys like Jason S. do at least have the credibility of having come up the ranks through legit news organizations. Those are people who actually learned the trade. Of course, that doesn't mean they still don't have a big of shitty tricks at their disposal. I think we have all probably seen shitty characterizations of news by real journalists using crappy tactics to push a narrative. Jason S. ain't above that sort of thing especially when it comes to pushing his personal politics which, like you, I don't agree with. But I don't see Jason S. trying to boost a podcast every week or two with a scoop like Jez Corden seems to do. When Jason does have a scoop.....I believe him even if I don' t like him.

Yep, I also don't like Jason S for a lot of is beliefs, but at the same time, IMO, as a journalist he is fairly dependable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom