• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono False Mask gameplay trailer (import)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
New gameplay trailer for the JP version of Utawarerumono False Mask. Attack animations look real good.

Comes out 09/21/2015 for PS3 / PS4 / PS Vita genre is Adventure Game + SRPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMfWce8zSQ

http://aquaplus.jp/uta/itsu/

Will be picking this up although am unfamiliar with the series. So gonna look into that now.

Info on what the LE and first print editions contain.

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/utawarerumono-false-mask-premium-edition-first-print-bonuses-detailed

I know the PSP version of the first game was free on PS+. I haven't checked to see if it still is, but it wasn't too long ago that that was the case.

Also wow, attack animations look rad as hell.

Parakeetman

I know the PSP version of the first game was free on PS+. I haven't checked to see if it still is, but it wasn't too long ago that that was the case.

Yeah I was seriously impressed as the stuff looks fantastic. Am gonna see about securing the older titles now lol.

My poor poor non existent budget. D:

Recently too the PS2 version joined the classics section on JPSN so will check it out!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah its good to be back int he shoes of Touka lol.

I haven't played with the Utawarerumono cast since i played the eff out of Aquapazza.

I'm super excited for Utawarerumono 2 and 3 for PS4

Parakeetman

Holy christ on a cracker, a new original PSP version costs around 10,000 JPY. D:

PS2 version is around 5,500

I can't speak for the original game, but I did watch the anime. Definitely thought it was a cool story and interesting themes/characters so I put in a preorder for the premium edition.

I might try out the first game now that I've gotten it off ps+.

Too bad they didn't get Sting to work on this one. Not sure what quality the gameplay will be like. Maybe just a generic SRPG.

Parakeetman

Too bad they didn't get Sting to work on this one. Not sure what quality the gameplay will be like. Maybe just a generic SRPG.

Looking at what people talked about with previous titles, the main draw is the story and character bits, but will indeed be nice if the SRPG gameplay parts are good too.

Is this a story continuation or a new tale like Tears to Tiara 2 was?

Want to know what the chances of Atlus picking this up are.

By the way, really like the look of this game. Awesome to see some gameplay.

Parakeetman

Is this a story continuation or a new tale like Tears to Tiara 2 was?

Want to know what the chances of Atlus picking this up are.

By the way, really like the look of this game. Awesome to see some gameplay.

Am not sure on that unfortunately. We can hope that someone more familiar with the series will stop by and answer that.

It looks good but animations are too long for me.

The animations they are showing are a bunch of different attacks at once without breaks in them. Take each moment when the enemy is hit as 1 animation and it looks a lot more managable.

I didn't know about this game existing, but now I'm starting to get excited for it... It's been ages since I played the original PS2 game or watched the anime... but none of the characters look immediately recognizable. This could partially be thought because of the huge shift in art style. Going to finish watching the trailer now :)

(edit) Yep, none of the characters shown appear to be from the show aside from maybe the original lead in the cold first part. I really can't be too sure since my Japanese is pretty weak. It's definitely not a remake at the very least.

Am not sure on that unfortunately. We can hope that someone more familiar with the series will stop by and answer that.

No problem. I'm guessing from this reply:

Ah its good to be back int he shoes of Touka lol.

I haven't played with the Utawarerumono cast since i played the eff out of Aquapazza.

I'm super excited for Utawarerumono 2 and 3 for PS4

It seems like there's at least some returning cast. Oh dear :(

Shinriji

Playing Aquapazza gave me all the background of the Utawarerumono characters that I needed. It worked for To Heart 2 as well.

But Hakuowlo was strangely absent from the trailer, since he appeared in the teaser site and all.

yaffi

The only character I recognize in this trailer is Kurou (guy with the big sword who seems to be an enemy).

edit:

But Hakuowlo was strangely absent from the trailer, since he appeared in the teaser site and all.

Wasn't it just the mask? There could very well be more than one person wearing it.

Parakeetman

I checked PSN again seems to be around 600 yen now so went and picked it up. Pretty good. As usual with the Aquaplus games of the particular genre, heavy VN type of story bits which are well done and great VA work.

Quite enjoying this now.

PS2 version should be arriving later today.

Forgot to check how much the PSN classic costs also.

Hubb

No problem. I'm guessing from this reply:

It seems like there's at least some returning cast. Oh dear :(

What is wrong with returning characters? That is what I am hoping for.

Wasn't it just the mask? There could very well be more than one person wearing it.

I can't speak to what was on the teaser site, but considering what he is in that world. I would be weird if he didn't show up in some manifestation.

SephLuis

Is this a direct follow up to another game or can I just jump in into this one ?

Reminded me of Fire Emblem for some reason.

Hubb

Is this a direct follow up to another game or can I just jump in into this one ?

Reminded me of Fire Emblem for some reason.

This is the 2nd game of the series, but it is too early to tell if you need to play the first or not. My guess is you don't, the first game is pretty old at this point. I hope they have returning characters though, I don't want a brand new story.

Hexa

This is the 2nd game of the series, but it is too early to tell if you need to play the first or not. My guess is you don't, the first game is pretty old at this point. I hope they have returning characters though, I don't want a brand new story.

I liked the ending of the first one and its slight openess. I'd rather they keep the same themes but do a really different story set even further in the future.

Parakeetman

I can't speak to what was on the teaser site, but considering what he is in that world. I would be weird if he didn't show up in some manifestation.

Business wise Id imagine that there would be stuff connected for fans, but for attempting to get new users roped in it can also be a stand alone story?

Guess we will find out more as info comes out seeing how the marketing has started. So future issues of famitsu / dengeki & the usual online gaming sites. :)

Really like the work of 本条たたみ (Honjo Tatami) who seems to do a lot of work for Aquaplus. Warning to those who look up his artwork is that some of the content is adult related also.

Coxy

It'll probably be the same as TtT2 was, with characters from the first game just making cameos or appearing as DLC while the story is largely seperate.

hopefully someday atlus brings this over too because I LOVED TtT2

Parakeetman

It'll probably be the same as TtT2 was, with characters from the first game just making cameos or appearing as DLC while the story is largely seperate.

hopefully someday atlus brings this over too because I LOVED TtT2

TtT2 really is a great game and love the story sections and characters. Though man did you need good chunks of time to play. lol.

Parakeetman

It is good, well except for all endless screaming and crying from Yoshitsugu Matsuoka. His voice work was really grating.

lol that was the one downside of the game was the overly 中二 MC. Then again thats the type of roles he usually seems to get casted for. Though hes doing a good job as Soma in Shokugeki no Soma.

Hubb

Business wise Id imagine that there would be stuff connected for fans, but for attempting to get new users roped in it can also be a stand alone story?

:p.

I agree it will most likely be a game you can go into with no knowledge.

I liked the ending of the first one and its slight openess. I'd rather they keep the same themes but do a really different story set even further in the future.

Well I can't see how the game doesn't have Hakuoro in it. Unless they are just going to have a game set in the universe and have nothing to do with the overall lore of the world. The teaser trailer already had one character form the original game, and he didn't look much older (if at all) so I doubt it'll be set way in the future.

New info in tomorrow's Famitsu. Looks like we're getting a deeper look at the new characters and battle system.

Apparently David Boucher who did sound mixing on Frozen will be working on the game. I can't imagine why (outside of Japan's inexplicable obsession with Frozen).

edit: apparently Famitsu doesn't like hotlinking. Here's the preview images.

That as a western gamer who can't read/speak Japanese, it decreases chances for localization. Though if this is true:

It'll probably be the same as TtT2 was, with characters from the first game just making cameos or appearing as DLC while the story is largely seperate

There's still a chance.

Chaos17

Unlike Tears to Tiara 2 where I got 0 nostagic vibe even from the character design at least in this one I can feel something toward it.

Hubb

That as a western gamer who can't read/speak Japanese, it decreases chances for localization. Though if this is true:.

I want the game to get localized as well, but I prefer if they bring back the old cast and introduce new people as well. It is going to be a niche game, so I get that they'll want to try and reach as many people as possible. That means the story most likely won't require any knowledge of the first game.

If it is a continuation of that story/events at least the anime got released over here. That isn't a good answer for most people, but it is a way to experience the story/characters without knowing Japanese. Aquapazza was released here which at least familiarized the more important characters in the first game. Also it wouldn't be the first game that was brought over without the earlier entries coming first.

All that being said, I just want it to be a good SRPG, have a story that is at least equal with the first, and be released here. Hopefully that isn't asking too much. I enjoyed what I played of Tears to Tiara 2, so I am hopeful for this game.

Parakeetman

The first game is hard to suggest as an import title also just due to how Japanese intensive it is being pretty much Id say 80% voiced Visual Novel. Therefore if one does not have a decent understanding of the language they will be missing out on most of the game.

Its kinda why I decided against a LTTP thread for the title itself. lol

Though am tempted to do an import OT for this game regardless.

Hubb

The first game is hard to suggest as an import title also just due to how Japanese intensive it is being pretty much Id say 80% voiced Visual Novel. Therefore if one does not have a decent understanding of the language they will be missing out on most of the game.

Its kinda why I decided against a LTTP thread for the title itself. lol

Though am tempted to do an import OT for this game regardless.

If you don't do an OT I'd would really appreciate a PM with your thoughts on the game when it releases. If you don't mind that is.

Parakeetman

If you don't do an OT I'd would really appreciate a PM with your thoughts on the game when it releases. If you don't mind that is.

Sure thing, we still got a whiles way off.

Am currently going through the first game am pretty far into it. But man this is one hell of an journey thats for sure. Really well done.

Its pretty crazy how large the voice cast is.

Hopefully the second game will follow in its footsteps content wise.

Hubb

Sure thing, we still got a whiles way off.

Am currently going through the first game am pretty far into it. But man this is one hell of an journey thats for sure. Really well done.

Its pretty crazy how large the voice cast is.

Hopefully the second game will follow in its footsteps content wise.

It was the first fan translated game I played. Might be nostalgia speaking, but I really liked it and am really looking forward to what they are going to do with the series.

Parakeetman

It was the first fan translated game I played. Might be nostalgia speaking, but I really liked it and am really looking forward to what they are going to do with the series.

Thats pretty impressive if it got fan translated considering just how much text it has in it.

It is quite good and the characters balance themselves out well. The most interesting thing is how the MC is not the usual "young" type of protagonist either. Had found that pretty cool the first time I started to hear the MCs voice in the game.

For example thats the one downside to Tears to Tiara II is the MC. Though the story is written for a younger MC and such, so cant be helped.

jzbluz

I heard about the anime for the first game but I never got around to watching it. Anyway, I'll give the vita version a try if Atlus/someone else does localize it.

Parakeetman

I heard about the anime for the first game but I never got around to watching it. Anyway, I'll give the vita version a try if Atlus/someone else does localize it.

Would imagine might be Atlus since they did TtT2 back on the PS3. At least there is a PS4 version also so helps with them deciding to do it as the market in the West has shifted over in that direction.

Im curious how TtT2 did in the West though? As I dont follow those types of sales info.

Hubb

Would imagine might be Atlus since they did TtT2 back on the PS3. At least there is a PS4 version also so helps with them deciding to do it as the market in the West has shifted over in that direction.

Im curious how TtT2 did in the West though? As I dont follow those types of sales info.

Not sure it means much, but it did as well or better than other niche titles (Ar Nosurge PS3, Fairy Fencer F) on Amazon. Not sure how text heavy the next Utawarerumono is going to be compared to other games, but Tears to Tiara 2 seems to have a ton of text. I am cautiously optimistic that it comes over.

Parakeetman

Not sure it means much, but it did as well or better than other niche titles (Ar Nosurge PS3, Fairy Fencer F) on Amazon. Not sure how text heavy the next Utawarerumono is going to be compared to other games, but Tears to Tiara 2 seems to have a ton of text. I am cautiously optimistic that it comes over.

Yeah TtT2 did indeed have a ton of text and content also. Im not fully done with the game, but most def it is similar in design to Utawarerumon as in mostly VN with SRPG battles in between. Would imagine the next game will be similar too :)

Though I wonder if they will be adding actual choices to the story this time around or just leave it as how the original it was more which areas you decide to select where on some occasions will lock out other possible events to watch.

I remember that TtT2 the digital version had a sale on PSN also?

Hubb

I remember that TtT2 the digital version had a sale on PSN also?

I'm 99.99% sure it hasn't had a sale, at least on NA PSN. The lowest I've seen it go is $28, but it seems to be holding its value pretty well. It did launch at $40 which I am sure helped it a bit.

Parakeetman

I'm 99.99% sure it hasn't had a sale, at least on NA PSN. The lowest I've seen it go is $28, but it seems to be holding its value pretty well. It did launch at $40 which I am sure helped it a bit.

It was during the Golden Week sale it seems.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...e-deals-on-japan-inspired-games-movies-shows/

Was down to like 20 USD.

That was when I noticed the general price of it in the West. Think some folks here at GAF picked it up, but since there isnt any sort of recent thread for the game didnt seen any impressions of folks. Outside of those suggesting it to others as a plot heavy SRPG.

Wonder if Tears to Tiara 2 sold well enough for Atlus to consider bringing this one over

Thats what Im curious about too since the localization most def could not have been cheap. And would imagine that the next Utawarerumono will follow suit in that.

Parakeetman

It never even had an OT. :(

That is a shame, since would have been nice for fans in the West to have a place to discuss the title esp after the sale.

Will see about trying to do one for this game, but the issue is will have a very, very limited base of users due to it being very heavy on Japanese knowledge for the story, so people who imported without knowledge of the language would be missing out on the majority of the enjoyment with the title which is the story and character interactions. D:

But small numbers of people in OTs is something Im pretty used to with all the niche stuff I do anyways lol.

Though will depend on how my schedule is around that time.

Top Bottom