• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combo Breaker & Stunfest | Fighting Game Tournaments | Rosemont,IL + France May 22-24

El Sloth

Banned
UPvT5LG.jpg

The Crowne-Plaze O’Hare: 5440 North River Rd, Rosemont, IL 60018
'Combo Breaker was born from Adam Heart retiring the Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament series in 2014. Recognizing that Chicago could not be left without its annual event, Richard Thiher, then Assistant Director of the series, partnered with Gaming Generations to develop a replacement tournament for our beloved community. With Heart’s blessing, and a team of vetted tournament staff, we are confident in bringing you a familiar but all-new piece of Midwest history.

Illinois has a legacy of exciting, clockwork proficient tournaments – a well touted precedent that Combo Breaker will live up to and expand upon. So join us May 22-24, 2015 for a weekend of mashed buttons, crowd hype, and intense competition as we celebrate the bonds and rivalries born from competitive fighting games.'​
- http://combobreaker.org/about-2/

Games at the event and their final Pre-Registration numbers (On site/emergency registration still available):
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV - 266
  • Mortal Kombat X - 261
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -157
  • Super Smash Bros 4 - 140
  • Mystery Game Tournament - 128
  • Skullgirls - 105
  • Killer Iinstinct - 104
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 93
  • Super Smash Bros Melee - 76
  • Under Night in-Birth Exe:Late - 64
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 59
  • Divekick - 45
  • King Of Fighters XIII - 41
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 38
  • Injustice - 32
  • Vampire Savoir - 31
  • Garou - 28
  • MVC2 - 23
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 -15
  • Lethal League - 36 (18 Teams)

Brackets for all games: http://combobreaker.challonge.com/

Streams + Schedule:

www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade - Retro tournaments

Schedule_Final_hr2.png

Happening at the same time in Rennes, France:
UkC16ui.jpg

LE LIBERTÉ – 1, ESPLANADE CHARLES DE GAULLE – 35000 RENNES

http://www.stunfest.fr/english-informations/

Notable players in attendance:
Daigo
Mago
Tokido
Momochi
Fuudo
Gamerbee
Xian
Luffy
Alioune
Gagapa
Valmaster
Ryan Heart
Eita
Bonchan
EBI
Poongko
Infiltration
RF
Kazunoko
Misterio
Dark Jiewa
Santarouman
Bas
Xiaohai
Dakou
Profluke

Schedule:
74VDx7p.png

Seems like the streams will pop up here when they go live: http://tv.stunfest.fr/

Sunday stream for Ultra Street Fighter 4: www.twitch.tv/Capcomfighters

All credit to KidA Seven for reminding me that Stunfest was this weekend and for most of the info. Thanks to Phaonaut for the schedule.

Azalean

Banned
Entering Smash 4 and Melee. Thank goodness ZeRo isn't in my Smash 4 pool. My Melee pool doesn't seem to bad. Interesting to see what the mystery game is.

Xian said Xiaohai and Dakou are at Stunfest as well. They must have just registered or are doing so at the event because the list on stunfest doesn't have them.

god damn

If I had known that this was the successor to UFGT I would have gone because it's 25 minutes away from me. Regardless I will be watching the streams!

El Sloth

Banned
If I had known that this was the successor to UFGT I would have gone because it's 25 minutes away from me. Regardless I will be watching the streams!
You can still go to watch (and maybe play some casual games once tournament stations are freed up):
Spectators are free at Combo Breaker. We want to showcase how hugely entertaining competitive fighting games can be, particularly to people in the area who may be unaware of them. The best way we can think of to do this is inviting everyone in to see the show.

Please note that anyone choosing to compete in a side-tournament is no longer a spectator and will need a tournament badge. Additionally, Combo Breaker’s overnight hours are not accessible for unbadged attendees.
http://combobreaker.org/about-2/

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Its about 30 minutes from my house, I pretty much have no excuse not to go. Gonna bring my wife..should be an interesting experience for her lol. I kinda want to enter KI but I would get bodied so damn hard.

El Sloth

Banned
Its about 30 minutes from my house, I pretty much have no excuse not to go. Gonna bring my wife..should be an interesting experience for her lol. I kinda want to enter KI but I would get bodied so damn hard.
Just a heads up if you actually want to enter:
On Site Registration ($70) is considered Emergency Registration and is only available Thursday May 21st at 8 PM and Friday May 22nd until 10 AM. Emergency registrants are placed into available bracket byes, and only before a tournament’s first pool starts.
You cannot and will not be regionally or skill seeded as an Emergency registrant.
+ another $10 to enter the KI tournament.

Personally, I'd recommend waiting for next year and pre-registering early if you wanna compete and for now just going as a spectator to enjoy the matches and see if you can play some casual games with people during the free play hours.

This one is a big showdown for MKX.

CD Jr.
Cossner
Darth Arma
Dizzy
DJT
Footwurk
Forever King
Godspeed
Jeremiah
Justin Wong
KDZ
Michelangelo
MIT
N1k0lasss
Pig of the Hut
Pnut
REO
Rico Suave
Sabin
Saltface
Slayer
Sonic Fox
Tom Brady
Tyrant
Wafflez
Whiteboi
Zyphox

Sure I'm missing some, this is just who I spotted doing a once-over on the list

rrc1594

That's the biggest I seen for KI in a while. That pot money really got some people back in the game I guess lol

The screenshot came from reddit and the image is out there so not everyone knows that it came from your article. Sloth has no idea that the stream time image came from your article.

Still shitty. Sloth, please remove it or link to the article. Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like it's already gone. Appreciate it.

Unless your name is Uncle Ben, nothing in Marvel stays dead.

I'm just surprised that Smash 4 has almost double the number of entrants that Melee has.

I'm not, considering the top Melee players are in Australia, Shuffle VII happening at the same time in the same region, and main game vs side game treatment

K.Sabot

Honestly my favorite tournament to watch during the year has always been the UFGT series, so this will most likely live up to expectations.

Hope for a great tournament, great experience.

Still shitty. Sloth, please remove it or link to the article. Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like it's already gone. Appreciate it.

It was unintentional. You could have pm'd him or something. He would give credit or link if he knew as we always try to give credit. Anyways, it was removed.

jerry1594

Lol "oh yeah and this is happening too, the best players for the hottest game right now will be there"

Jokes aside I had no idea it was this soon. Maybe would've gone. Will be watching vsav anyway. Rooting for Mar.

Jamie OD

Last year's UFGT was a lot of fun to watch so it's good to see a replacement was put together. Bring on the mystery tournament! Fingers crossed it's WWE All Stars based on the Hulk Hogan drawing in the trailer.

Compbros

I'll be there later for MKX/Injustice, looking forward to this one. Loved UFGT and still have the Dog Tag from the Injustice character auction lol.

phaonaut

Which major players are attending which events for:

MKX
UltraSF4

This way I know which to view more so than the other between Combobreaker and stunfest.

Combo for Best of MKX

Stunfest for Best of USF4

The times barely overlap so you can probably get your fill of both. Just prepare for a long day.

pixelish

Which major players are attending which events for:

MKX
UltraSF4

This way I know which to view more so than the other between Combobreaker and stunfest.

well mkx has a $10k pot bonus @ combo breaker and ultra has a $15k pot bonus @ stunfest so take a guess which players will be heading to which tourney

awww wish that is list of players was for combo breaker. still, auctions and mystery tourney are always hype!

edit: damn, wish mystery tourney got more stream time

Top Bottom