• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has released 4 titles passing my moving goalposts since the GameCube era

KooopaKid

Banned
EDIT: Made by EAD and on a home console obviously.

By free camera control I mean a camera you can fully control around your character.

GC :
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Wind Waker
- Twilight Princess

Wii :
- N/A

Wii U :
- Splatoon

Am I missing any?
I love rotating the camera around! I want more of this from Nintendo.

I guess the point is that full camera controls often means big adventure games and immersion and I wish EAD would make a bit more of them. I like to walk around the Splatoon plazza and pretend it's a big city in a new adventure game from EAD. I miss EAD games with scope. Splatoon fits the bill but Zelda is so far away...

Devil

I thought about this as well just recently and it makes sense for Nintendo. My GF loves NSMB, 3D Land, World, Kart and is even quite good at DKCTF.

But she was hugely frustrated by Captain Toad because that was when she had to control the camera for the first time. Even though it is a pretty slow game. It was even worse for when she tried Splatoon which she loves watching me play, but she just can't handle the camera.

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for someone like her if the next Mario had controls like 64 or Sunshine. I grew up with this stuff which many people did not.

lewisgone

Looking at the Nintendo games I own, I'm seeing very few, if any, that would have benefited from a free camera option. Most aren't even in a genre that allows for it. So if you're implying this is a flaw of Nintendo games, I can't say I agree with you.

Kid Icarus Uprising land segments had a free camera, as unwieldy as it could sometimes be.

E-phonk

Banned
Define internally developed please, because for all definitions I can think of both Xenoblade's are internally developed.

The only way he could exclude xenoblade is by saying "EAD only". It's a weird thing anyways, because not all game design needs free camera controls, it's a design choice.

Nobody complained mario galaxy didn't have it for example.

Why are people mentioning Bayonetta 2? Regardless of the publisher label on the box, the game isn't Nintendo developed. I assume OP is specifically talking about games made internally by Nintendo's teams and studios.

Can't say I've actually noticed the lack of free camera controls in their games, though, honestly.

Nanashrew

Banned
Looking at the Nintendo games I own, I'm seeing very few, if any, that would have benefited from a free camera option. Most aren't even in a genre that allows for it. So if you're implying this is a flaw of Nintendo games, I can't say I agree with you.

Kid Icarus Uprising land segments had a free camera, as unwieldy as it could sometimes be.

I don't think they're implying it's a flaw. OP just loves rotating the camera, zooming far in and out to get a view of the landscapes and stuff.

Perhaps the best camera I've ever used.

Agreed. Never has a camera felt so good.

Tbf not a lot the games they make need a free camera, Pokemon for example.

Although how cool would it be if in the next Pokemon game they made it so New 3DS owners could you use the C Nub thing to move the camera around during a battle?

Lehow

The only way he could exclude xenoblade is by saying "EAD only". It's a weird thing anyways, because not all game design needs free camera controls, it's a design choice.

Nobody complained mario galaxy didn't have it for example.

Yeah, I know. my post was a rhetorical device xD.. I would quest if Xenoblade isn't internally developed neither Donkey Kong Country Returns nor Metroid Prime games could be considered internally developed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Wii killed that trend within Nintendo.

Wind Waker had full 3D control. Twilight Princess bolted the camera behind Link's back (even the Cube version camera was limited compared to WW).

Sure if the level design + auto camera is good (i.e. Mario Galaxy), that's nice... but that's one type of game design. It's a shame that Nintendo has really shied away from that kind of exploratory 3D game.

I thought all Pikmin games have free cameras for the majority of the game, but now you're making me question that.
Can't say I've actually noticed the lack of free camera controls in their games, though, honestly.
I didn't really realise it either, but I supposed it's a positive that I didn't notice.

Yeah, I know. my post was a rhetorical device xD.. I would quest if Xenoblade isn't internally developed neither Donkey Kong Country Returns nor Metroid Prime games could be considered internally developed.

The funny thing is that Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are all more "internal" than Pokemon, and yet nobody seems to have a problem calling Pokemon 1st party games.

Wouldn't it be more relevant to list the game which could have had free camera control but didn't?

Pretty much any Wii game that lets you operate in 3D space could have. The question should be which ones should have limited motion/pointer controls to such an extent that would have made playing with the Classic Controller a feasible option like in Xenoblade for example.

Are you kidding? It's the reason I didn't play it

Man, what a silly reason to miss out on two of last gen's best games.
lc0kaqw.png

EDIT: Internally developped.

By free camera control I mean a camera you can fully control around your character.

Am I missing any?

Games listed from the thread so far:

Xenoblade Chronicle, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario 3D World (Moving Gamepad option), Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Majora's Mask 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Please look this up more before making a thread about how they've [INTERNALLY] done so little of it since Gamecube.

Top Bottom