• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t Listen to the Naysayers Switch 2 release is NEAR

After seeing today’s Nintendo Direct combined with the recent Ubisoft comments on Mario Rabbids 2, I am FULLY CONVINCED Nintendo Switch 2 release is near…how near? Read on.

First though, today’s Direct.

Today’s Nintendo’s Direct had some really good games announced. 2D Mario looks more inspired than 2d Mario on Wii U. Batman, Metal Gear, Star Ocean, Fae Farm, Saturday Morning Cartoon game all look good. Pikmin, Lugi Mansion 2, Super Princess Peach 2 all look good. The standout was Super Mario RPG, because I am old enough to remember how special that game was. Yet, everything announced seemed mostly smaller in scope and had a sense of finality to it.

You think Nintendo would not be crazy enough to release a new 2d Mario and Mario RPG that close to new hardware. It could eat into software cycle sales. They have done it before. Albeit a while ago. Super Mario RPG SNES released in Japan, March 1996. N64 released in Japan in June 1996. A mere 3 months apart.

The most interesting announcement in the Direct though was…Pokemon DLC. Why? Because there was a post last year on 4chan that was 100% correct about predicting Pokemon Scarlet and Violet And spoke about performance patches for the “New Switch”. Which launches around the release of the second Pokemon DLC.

The first Pokemon DLC releases in Fall 2023. With the second likely releasing in Winter 2023/ early 2024. Technically “Winter” by northern hemisphere calendar standards. Which would be 2 or 3 months likely after Pokemon DLC 1 releases for Scarlet and Violet. If Scarlet and Violet releases in November, the 2nd DLC will likely release in February 2024.

I firmly believe after today the rumors of Fzero, and Paper Mario TTYD are for NEXT GEN. Nintendo has a belief in releasing one iteration of a particular title per generation. One Paper Mario, one Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, one Animal Crossing, etc. I see no reason why Paper Mario TTYD would come to Switch if new hardware is imminent, unless it is a cross generation release. F-zero, I see as a coin flip. But Switch 2 could allow F-zero to shine with fancy graphics, a more mature game and hopefully better online in the launch window for Switch 2 to entice early adopters and order gamers. F-zero would like on SNES probably sell better as a launch window game as well.

I firmly believe Nintendo has learned to use it back catalog of games to create HD remakes to fill and pad out a release schedule now. Next gen has N64, GameCube, Wii, 3ds, and Wii U to all choose from. Easily enough content to fill up a release schedule for several generations and build around their own unique new first party titles.

Where was Metroid today? If Prime 2-3 release in September, then it would be a perfect gateway for Switch 2 to launch with Metroid Prime 4. At this point, I can only conclude either Metroid Prime 4 is in serious developmental hell (as one rumor suggested) or it is a launch game for Switch 2.

Finally is Nintendo returning to Gamescom and holding it’s first ever Nintendo Live event in he United States in September. I believe the future will be teased in this time frame. I suspect Nintendo goes “Full Wizard” in September and lets certain participants play some next gen game in a controlled environment. It would not surprise me to see Bloomberg or WSJ start reporting about Switch successor in the coming months.

Based on everything above and a few other things I am not able to share, in my opinion. Switch 2 (Next Gen) is launching between November 2023 and April 2024. I think February is the likely date though. Don’t let everyone sell you on bull crap. Nintendo has NOT specifically said Switch 2 will not launch before April. All Nintendo actually said publicly was they will only comment on Switch sales thru March 31, 2024.

Switch 2 is imminent.

Interesting times ahead!

diffusionx

Gold Member
April at the earliest, but I would expect more like next September. I know that some people were disappointed by this showing but it seemed fine for a 6.5 year old system that just got an "11/10" tier title a few weeks ago. Just stop fretting about this and play TOTK some more lmao.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nintendo said they won't release it this fiscal year.

Meaning that the earliest date can be April 2024, but since they often release consoles in November or March, I assume they'll release it November 2024.

I assume it will be announced in E3 2024 as a full BC hybrid with a new big 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 9 as launch games.

Last edited:
I understand the pessimism. I don’t think everyone will be laughing come September. I expect there will be credible reports, or rumors by then.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
George Clooney Reaction GIF

Gudji

Probably next year, I gonna finish the games I have to finish and sell the damn thing. Just wish it has some sort of BC.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There is no way Switch 2 is announced before TOTK’s been out for at least six months and sales show signs of slowing down for good. But yes, the release schedule feels like the 3DS’s last mile. Switch 2 has to be releasing next year.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t know about all that.

I do think Switch 2 is close though, but that’s mainly due to hardware and software for Switch being in decline.

Zannegan

Hmmm... nah, don't think so.

Since when does new hardware need to be "imminent" to explain a mediocre showing in a Nintendo direct, lacking new games in major franchises?

Guess we'll see.
Agree. Sometimes they just have a lackluster show because they just don't have anything big to show. It's not always because they're holding back for new hardware...

...on the other hand, I'm right there with OP, hoping it's right around the corner (early 2024).

Trilobit

At this point, I can only conclude either Metroid Prime 4 is in serious developmental hell (as one rumor suggested) or it is a launch game for Switch 2.

What does development hell actually mean? Are they having creative, artistic or technical problems? In any case I'd rather they focus on Switch 2 and give us a beautiful Metroid game.

Interesting post OP. I hope you're right that we're close to exciting news.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they plan the announcement/reveal.

They've reduced the FY forecast for this year to under 15m units, so that's a clear indication that they are publicly acknowledging the sales decline of the Switch, especially to the investors.

That means new HW is on the horizon. But they milk their fanbase during the holidays, so announcing before that may cannibalize unit sales.

So, announcement in February and launch in mid-April? Still falls in with the "not launching this fiscal year" quote by Kimishima going by that. 🤷

As other posters have said Nintendo fiscal year ends in March. Christmas sales are a big part of their year. I cant see them announcing anything before end of January. I would guess an announcement will come in mid 2024 for an October release
I agree with that mindset. Except if you look, there is a quote somewhere from Nintendo stating they want to close the release gap from announcement to release.

Analyst have speculated, Nintendo wants hardware to be like an Apple product announcement. Announce most hardware and release with a few months.

McRazzle

Nintendo wouldn't already be announcing games for next year (Princess Peach and Luigi Mansion 2 remake) if Switch 2 was coming in 2024.

So 2025 on 3nm it is.

KillaJamm

After seeing today’s Nintendo Direct combined with the recent Ubisoft comments on Mario Rabbids 2, I am FULLY CONVINCED Nintendo Switch 2 release is near…how near? Read on.

First though, today’s Direct.

Today’s Nintendo’s Direct had some really good games announced. 2D Mario looks more inspired than 2d Mario on Wii U. Batman, Metal Gear, Star Ocean, Fae Farm, Saturday Morning Cartoon game all look good. Pikmin, Lugi Mansion 2, Super Princess Peach 2 all look good. The standout was Super Mario RPG, because I am old enough to remember how special that game was. Yet, everything announced seemed mostly smaller in scope and had a sense of finality to it.

You think Nintendo would not be crazy enough to release a new 2d Mario and Mario RPG that close to new hardware. It could eat into software cycle sales. They have done it before. Albeit a while ago. Super Mario RPG SNES released in Japan, March 1996. N64 released in Japan in June 1996. A mere 3 months apart.

The most interesting announcement in the Direct though was…Pokemon DLC. Why? Because there was a post last year on 4chan that was 100% correct about predicting Pokemon Scarlet and Violet And spoke about performance patches for the “New Switch”. Which launches around the release of the second Pokemon DLC.

The first Pokemon DLC releases in Fall 2023. With the second likely releasing in Winter 2023/ early 2024. Technically “Winter” by northern hemisphere calendar standards. Which would be 2 or 3 months likely after Pokemon DLC 1 releases for Scarlet and Violet. If Scarlet and Violet releases in November, the 2nd DLC will likely release in February 2024.

I firmly believe after today the rumors of Fzero, and Paper Mario TTYD are for NEXT GEN. Nintendo has a belief in releasing one iteration of a particular title per generation. One Paper Mario, one Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, one Animal Crossing, etc. I see no reason why Paper Mario TTYD would come to Switch if new hardware is imminent, unless it is a cross generation release. F-zero, I see as a coin flip. But Switch 2 could allow F-zero to shine with fancy graphics, a more mature game and hopefully better online in the launch window for Switch 2 to entice early adopters and order gamers. F-zero would like on SNES probably sell better as a launch window game as well.

I firmly believe Nintendo has learned to use it back catalog of games to create HD remakes to fill and pad out a release schedule now. Next gen has N64, GameCube, Wii, 3ds, and Wii U to all choose from. Easily enough content to fill up a release schedule for several generations and build around their own unique new first party titles.

Where was Metroid today? If Prime 2-3 release in September, then it would be a perfect gateway for Switch 2 to launch with Metroid Prime 4. At this point, I can only conclude either Metroid Prime 4 is in serious developmental hell (as one rumor suggested) or it is a launch game for Switch 2.

Finally is Nintendo returning to Gamescom and holding it’s first ever Nintendo Live event in he United States in September. I believe the future will be teased in this time frame. I suspect Nintendo goes “Full Wizard” in September and lets certain participants play some next gen game in a controlled environment. It would not surprise me to see Bloomberg or WSJ start reporting about Switch successor in the coming months.

Based on everything above and a few other things I am not able to share, in my opinion. Switch 2 (Next Gen) is launching between November 2023 and April 2024. I think February is the likely date though. Don’t let everyone sell you on bull crap. Nintendo has NOT specifically said Switch 2 will not launch before April. All Nintendo actually said publicly was they will only comment on Switch sales thru March 31, 2024.

Switch 2 is imminent.

Interesting times ahead!
That's one for the blog, jheeze.

Marvel14

Banned
After seeing today’s Nintendo Direct combined with the recent Ubisoft comments on Mario Rabbids 2, I am FULLY CONVINCED Nintendo Switch 2 release

Switch 2 is imminent.

Interesting times ahead!
Someone tell.this guy that Nintendo told its investors no hardware is releasing before April 2024.

Which is 10 months away...not.imminent.

That's Based On Nintendo's words not some over excited fan's essay gymnastics.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Someone tell.this guy that Nintendo told its investors no hardware is releasing before April 2024.

That’s not entirely true though, all they said in their last financial earnings call was that:
[Nintendo] has not factored new hardware into its current forecast, which stretches out to March 31, 2024.
It’s carefully worded. The forecast can obviously change if they do factor new hardware in.

odhiex

Yeah, at this point I'm leaning towards 2025 releases for the Switch's successor. At the earliest.

Last edited:

Sojiro

No way in hell Nintendo will say anything officially of a switch sequel until after the holiday season of this year. Even then, I still have doubts the Switch 2 will arrive in 2024, I am still more on team 2025 with it but we will see. Very curious if we see some real price drops on the switch, especially as we get closer to the successors announcement.

Last edited:

Stafford

I'm not getting my hopes up at all. We'll see what happens.

And also, what can we realistically expect in terms of specs? Watch them come with a Switch 2.5 in terms of power. 😂

Because your uncle would lose his job?
Please, it is my aunt. This is the 21st century!

Seriously, several years ago. I was at a dinner party and was seated with a developer and over the course of the evening the conversation became about ”why do some companies make decision X, while many consumers think they should make decision Y” instead.

Conceptually it was, is gaming “Art” or is it “entertainment”, and is “reinventing” the wheel every time being smart in game series? It was a cool conversation that stuck with me.

Quasicat

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. I won’t be buying it if the new Switch is lacking an Oled screen at launch. That is seriously a deal breaker for me.

Top Bottom