• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name an instance where you felt gamer outrage was undue and the company was justified

fvng

Name an instance where you felt gamer outrage was undue and the game company was actually making a rational/logical decision and didn't deserve the backlash they received.

SheHateMe

Mega Man in Street Fighter X Tekken

It just seemed like Capcpom was just having fun.

Nope. Nope. NOPE.

I wish that were the case. However, Capcpom was trolling us after MvC3 and then the DLC for Zero being Mega Man.... then the whole SFxT Mega Man inclusion, which they initally hid that it was Box Art Mega Man.

They were trollin'. I was hatin'.

Hatchtag

Banned
Titanfall not having single player. So stupid. I don't think a good single player Titanfall campaign would be worth the cost, considering campaigns for shooters with a low TTK tend to suck and the game's general speed is so high that the environments would have to be huge, which would be costly to develop. Not to mention the lore in Titanfall is stupid as fuck anyways lol.

KiraXD

The Mass Effect 3 ending.

yeah... this. i thoroughly enjoyed all 3 games and it felt pretty epic... i really didnt care for the ending... but it wasnt even as bad as the trash people said about it... i was more upset that the game was over more than anything... lol.

Who

Banned
Complaints when games get delayed. Some players want broken games.
This.

I remember being so angry when Twilight Princess and Brawl kept on getting delayed, but after playing Nintendos first party lineup this gen, I am more than okay with a company wanting to take extra time in getting the game right.

Ogawa-san

Capcom and Megaman, and how they're shitty for letting it die.

The few last true Megaman games sold like shit and almost every review complained they were "more of the same". Why would they even bother making anything bigger than that nostalgia-grab that was 9/10?

Harlequin

The TReboot "rape" scene (admittedly, their wording when talking about it was a little unfortunate, but there was nothing wrong with the actual scene in the context of the game. Though a lot of other shit was really wrong with the game but I digress) and the shit that went down concerning The Order are the first things that come to mind.

Top of the list? Diablo III's real-money auction house.

Most, if not all, of the design problems blamed on it had nothing to do with real-money transactions but were inherent in having an auction house at all (RMAH didn't even launch until a month after release) and due to a flat, linear loot system that was purely concentrated on stacking the same few stats. As a method of secure trading between players the RMAH was about as sensible a model as we could expect for injecting real money into the equation, just as real money has now been directly (and in my view excellently) been implemented into WoW via time tokens. It's not really a cash grab when Blizzard is only taking a small cut as a guarantor of a consensual two-way transaction between players.

I say this partly as I like playing the economic layers of multiplayer games and thought the RMAH added an interesting dimension that enticed me to log in (that is, until gold inflation—again, a product of poor loot design—made it unplayable for anyone who didn't establish a big stake early). And also because I pocketed a good profit from it that's funded my way through every Blizzard title since.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Microsoft's Xbox One digital plan was probably just too far ahead of its time and didn't come with the language needed to assuage people's fears. Probably because someone in Redmond was too greedy. Our digital libraries are less secure and flexible now than they would have been if Microsoft had led the way on family ownership, sharing and digital rentals.

CDPR not supplying GMG game keys for the Witcher 3.

Bluepoint Games and Naughty Dog not including multiplayer in the Nathan Drake Collection.

Dragon's Crown art style choices.

The original Xbox One plan.

kim_jong_il_team_america1-490x263.jpg

Recently Xenoblade Chronicles X "downgrade" was straight up hilarious.

every downgrade thread is hilarious, dudes tripping over themselves to post cherrypicked non-native compressed jpegs or gifs with hilariously biased text overlaid, they're all shitshows of the most classless order, even when they're in the right.

Oftentimes when niche games don't get localized, it was probably a good business move.

Yeah, I agree, I thought it was hilarious. Some people just can't laugh at themselves though. Speaking of Megaman Capcom was right to give that franchise a rest for a little while. When you look at the number of games and the series' sales it had become ridiculously bloated and interest was waning.

Hatchtag

Banned
CDPR not supplying GMG game keys for the Witcher 3.

Bluepoint Games and Naughty Dog not including multiplayer in the Nathan Drake Collection.

Dragon's Crown art style choices.

The original Xbox One plan.

kim_jong_il_team_america1-490x263.jpg

yeah the original xbox one plan would've been great. i would love to be unable to resell all of this gen's games, because all of them have worked 100% fine on launch with no issues.

Pompadour

I agree. Capcom in general seems to understand their fan base better than most game companies. They communicate with their fan base more often and directly than most, as well.

They do some misguided things and get about 10x more shit than most other companies.

Kilvas

-Dante's black hair in DMC: Devil May Cry.
-MGS4 having too many cutscenes
-DS2 Scholar of the First Sin not being a free upgrade
-Outrage over the art style of Dragon's Crown

The one that gets me the most is developers using chromatic aberration. The thread is still ongoing and people are still requesting developers patch it out.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I'm upset someone beat me to Original Xbox One plan.

I'm with you brother. Internets. Put it all on there and figure it out later!

The Mass Effect 3 ending.

I sympathize with people who wanted to change the ending, although I do not agree with them myself. The ending was such a gut-punch for long time fans of the series that I cannot possibly imagine it was in the original script. But yeah, if Bioware writes it that way then there is nothing you can do about it. You can only try to forget and remember the good parts.

More recently I have been baffled by the stupidity of some people concerning the outrage over The Witcher 3 expansion pass.

The one that gets me the most is developers using chromatic aberration. The thread is still ongoing and people are still requesting developers patch it out.

people find it ugly at best, squandering hardware like hdtvs and new consoles specifically purchased for higher fidelity through the worse-than-fxaa blur it can incur, and physically uncomfortable at worst. it really is a ridiculous thing to just recklessly slather over an image.

yeah the original xbox one plan would've been great. i would love to be unable to resell all of this gen's games, because all of them have worked 100% fine on launch with no issues.

But ... you could still do that with their proposed system. Your post is unintentionally the poster child for this thread.

You seem to be focused on the first half, which tied all physical media to digital licensing. And not the other half that they, admittedly, failed to communicate very well - which was the sharing and transfer of those digital licenses. Something we still can't fucking do.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The original Xbox One.

It was 2013. Everyone has internet now and even now, both the PS4 and Xbox One have licencing snafus with digital games even when they're ONLINE, let alone Offline.

The stat Sony released was something like 95% of PS4 consoles are connected to the net. So why would always online be such a bad thing?

Oh, that's right, the "anti-consumer" practice of giving me the option to pay physical prices with the convenience of a digital library.

Spare me.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Also any downgrade controversy where there isn't proof the developers widely misrepresented their game consistently for the purpose of tricking people into buying a lackluster product.

Showing everyone a game too early and then having to tone it down once you have to move from beast dev kits to consoles (which may or may not have existed at the start of development) is not offensive behavior in my mind.

Devildoll

Forza Motorsport 5 - micro-transactions & RL money for dlc to then pay millions of ingame credits to buy the dlc cars debacle.

Sure, FM5's microtransaction prompts were a bit in-your-face.

But the actual career progression rate in regards to accumilating money was faster than the previous games, even before the tweaks that were implemented after the outcry.

Especially if you take the car prices into account, they were more expensive in previous titles in some cases.

EDIT: I think a lot of people who normally dont play driving games got exposed to FM5, since it was a launch game, and they were probably expecting something other than what traditional forza offers.

I've always disagreed with the outrage over the original Xbox One plans, and I've debated that plenty of times. Of course, I perfectly understand why people didn't like it, and that by itself was a totally valid opinion. There were very real tradeoffs of course. But I always found the idea that "we gamers must band together to stop this at all costs! only shills and corporate whores could possibly have liked this!" sort of strange.

It often felt like some people were turning their personal preferences into a moral crusade.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
When people freaked out that the anime girl they were obsessing about didn't have a bigger part in the latest Tales game.

Actually, Japan in general should pop up quite a bit in this thread.

Top Bottom