• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Author Has Complete Meltdown Over 1 Star Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
lol what an ass

"DON'T GIVE ME NEGATIVE REVIEWS! DON'T YOU REALIZE NEGATIVE CRITICISM CRUSHES MY DREAMS?! DO YOU WANT ME TO BE HOMELESS?!"

Fury451

Banned
I imagine the author looking like this:

scarface-al-pacino.jpg

FUME5

FUME5, what is wrong with your POISONED WORLDVIEW where you cannot understand the damage that that does???

"But you left a 1 Star review on someone's life's work, someone who is trying to warn people what's going on in this world so that they can protect themselves and help others, and think that is a moral action. 400,000 children go missing each year in the US alone. Do you know where they're going? Do you know who's behind it? Do you know why the media is silent about it? Do you know how much a person risks to confront the evil that's running amok in this world? YOU don't know right from wrong. And that's what a review like this says about the person that wrote it."

I'm not embarrassed at all. And all of you who are taking Cait S's side, what you're doing in the bigger picture is waging war on the consciousness of humanity. The end. If this interaction prevents you from reading my work, it's okay. I'm not offended. I don't want your money, nor do I want you having a bad experience by reading my books. What bothers me is when people that operated at a low level of consciousness defame the work of people that are trying to help humanity, and no one helps humanity better than artists.

And the backfire is delicious. All those fresh 1-star reviews for him to individually reply to
lol.gif

23qwerty

I think he does have a point in that people are way too quick to leave 1 star reviews. Like, you're saying this is equivalent to an actual pile of garbage? Then again the opposite is true too, so it tends to even out. A lot of the time it just seems to be a like (5 star) or dislike (1 star) system.

kswiston

I think he does have a point in that people are way too quick to leave 1 star reviews. Like, you're saying this is equivalent to an actual pile of garbage? Then again the opposite is true too, so it tends to even out. A lot of the time it just seems to be a like (5 star) or dislike (1 star) system.

Community/reader reviews should just be thumbs up, thumbs down, and maybe a thumbs sideways.

"To you, that you may awaken to understand that the whole universe is a dance of energy, and that energy is God, and that energy is you. You are something that the whole universe is doing, that God is doing, just as a wave is something that the whole ocean is doing. The real you, the energy, the soul, is not a puppet that life pushes around. The real you is the whole universe. The real you is God, destined to follow no one, destined to ignite the ether and experience life from an individual perspective and take part in the creation. So this is for you, my fellow creators, my fellow gods, and my fellow selves, that coincidence may never disguise itself with the mask of fate and torment you, that every moment be meaningful, and that no experience be lost."

...Yeah.

"But you left a 1 Star review on someone's life's work, someone who is trying to warn people what's going on in this world so that they can protect themselves and help others, and think that is a moral action. 400,000 children go missing each year in the US alone. Do you know where they're going? Do you know who's behind it? Do you know why the media is silent about it? Do you know how much a person risks to confront the evil that's running amok in this world? YOU don't know right from wrong. And that's what a review like this says about the person that wrote it."

Poe's law hit me, I really thought you made that up but nope that's an author quote sweet baby Jesus.

So over under on this 1 star reviewer ending up on that harassment site Stop Goodreads Bullies and the author being portrayed as the victim of bullying?

Seesaw15

While the author clearly messed up I don't like all the drive by 1 star reviews just for the 'lulz'. But all the attention will probably net the guy a nice profit in the end so it all works I guess.

Fireblend

Banned

If you're publishing your stuff on the Internet on a place where it can be rated, expecting all impressions to be positive or well thought-out/justified exposes a very real ignorance about how internet works from your part. Bad reviews come with the territory. Just ignore them.

kswiston

...this book has a foreword AND a prologue, and if you can get through them, I commend you

holy shit its bad

I know it's unfair to the few diamonds in the rough out there, but I just assume that all self-published books by unestablished authors are bad until I hear compelling evidence to the contrary.

Matty77

I usually avoid saying things like this, but I can salt my food for a year off his replies. It's a 1 star community review for gods sake. Imagine if the NYT book review ripped him apart, he would probably pull a Unabomber.

I repeat I try to avoid feeding of the misery of others it's overplayed and tacky, but this is one case I don't feel bad.

While the author clearly messed up I don't like all the drive by 1 star reviews just for the 'lulz'. But all the attention will probably net the guy a nice profit in the end so it all works I guess.

I agree. When leaving reviews or anything approaching criticism, it should be about the work. But, people want the attention of funny reviews or whatever. And as a result it ruins the entire rating system. Is this a 1 star product because we hate the person or because the thing in question is any good? Well, enjoy spending the next half hour reading through a bunch of stupid reviews to figure out if people are just being dumbasses on the internet.

Guys, did you know that no one helps humanity as much as artists? I didn't. This Dylan chap is so brave. I couldn't stand a bunch of people with POISONED WORLDVIEWS and LOWERED CONSCIOUSNESS insulting me.

jtb

Banned
It's sad. I've read terrible novels for friends (and for money) and the problem with bad novels is that the person writing it obviously didn't think it was bad. And some people are just totally unable to process criticism (which in turn means they produce bad, unrefined stuff.)

PrawnyNZ

1 star reviews and 5 star retaliations are on the Amazon page as well now.

I like the comment "Too few pages, but too many words".

23qwerty

If you're publishing your stuff on the Internet on a place where it can be rated, expecting all impressions to be positive or well thought-out/justified exposes a very real ignorance about how internet works from your part. Bad reviews come with the territory. Just ignore them.

Putting 2 or 3 stars instead of 1 doesn't exactly take much thought

The Beard

That's embarrassing. In his defense though, the lady that gave him that 1 star review sounds like a moron. How do you read the free sample, decide to buy the book based off of that sample, and then say that you loathed it from page 1 ?

People are really bad at giving reviews. For some people, it's either a 5 star review or a 1 star, there's no in between.

I know it's unfair to the few diamonds in the rough out there, but I just assume that all self-published books by unestablished authors are bad until I hear compelling evidence to the contrary.

lol you may be on to something

The 1-star reviews aren't just for trolls, I mean its really terrible. Cliche, pretentious, grammatical incorrect and overblown prose...every thing a genre fiction novel fail at, it does. Its one of those awful books your friend wrote and gives you, and they think its really good/worked really hard on it. You just don't have the heart to tell them how awful it is and you're like "it was interesting!".

Up until he wrote that his book was decently reviewed by a small number of people. Way more positive than negative. Now by attacking someone who read his book and didn't like it, he's called on the mythic force of the internet and now and only now is he getting the stupid drive by 1 stars, but here's the thing he kinda deserves it.

Cyan

Banned
Aww, did they not archive the second page? That was the best part. His final post was an amazing epic rant about Hilary Clinton, the New York Times, and how the media is manipulating book reviews to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Not even joking.

Red Comet

"And all of you who are taking Cait S's side, what you're doing in the bigger picture is waging war on the consciousness of humanity."

I got a hearty chuckle out of this. I don't understand how you can hope to cope as a public figure with such thin skin.

Oh, wow. Look at all the one star reviews his book has now. Actually sort of feel bad for this idiot.

ItIsOkBro

Aww, did they not archive the second page? That was the best part. His final post was an amazing epic rant about Hilary Clinton, the New York Times, and how the media is manipulating book reviews to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Not even joking.

If we can't find it, please recreate it from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom