• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon: Part Two - The Scargiver | Rotten Watch

Yerd

Sucker Punch is a weird love it or hate it movie, if you keep in mind it's literally just an excuse to string together a series of cool action scenes, set to music, almost like music videos and just enjoy the ride for what it is, it's a lot of fun, it's like the closest we ever got to a proper third Heavy Metal film in spirit.

And what's there of the story and characters isn't BAD, just thin, but it gets the job done.

It's really weird people reacted so negatively or just ignored it all together, we deserve the bland, boring, TV style dogshit that are MCU movies and such today, than the pure spectacle of Sucker Punch and how well the action set pieces were crafted.

Snyder maybe took the criticisms of the shallowness too to heart because ever since he's gotten really pretentious, the Snyder of Dawn of The Dead, 300 and Sucker Punch was just good clean "fuck yeah!" entertainment, his take on DC was boring, bloated and pretentious as heck, Rebel Moon looks to be more of the same, just pure yawn, he needs to embrace fun again instead of trying to convince us he's a deep thinker, which he's not, he's a frat guy who's good at crafting good popcorn entertainment at his best.

Where I'll give him some respect is still trying to be a "name" director with a vision as directing is increasingly becoming anonymous work for hire jobs for blockbuster cinema, in which things are going full circle, can you name who directed The Wizard of Oz?
It's probably my personal aversion to something like this. It's way too pandering to "nerdy male interests." I'm sure they focus grouped all the highest selling male audience subject matter and threw it all in a blender and shat out that movie. Girls in school outfits, check. Girls with guns, check. Dragons, check. Robots, check. Molestation, check. It's trying too hard. I can't verbalize why I don't like it, probably. That's the best I can come up with in written form.

It's like Megan Fox, for me, was made in a science lab to appeal to everything I am attracted to in a girl, visually. But, because it's too on the money, I can't like it. And she's a little goofy besides.

The only thing this film has done is made me want to watch the StarWars prequel trilogy again
I get it bro. You want to prime yourself up with a known ultra dog shit movie. So when you go back to rebel moon, you can say "what is this, an oscar contender? I can't believe how good a movie can be, after that drivel I just watched before this."

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Love the roster of characters in rebel moon, and I’m not talking about the bad guys. The main girl plays in every scene and looks pretty good, I do realize rebel moon is a book turned movie, the talent is there and btw this is this generations 300, first off it’s a Netflix show anyway but it’s an appealing movie.

Watching Zack Snyder GIF by NETFLIX

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I;ve only seen some of Zach Snyder's movies. And I havent watched any Rebel Moon (and never will). From what I remember, I've seen the 300 movies, Man of Steel and Wonder Woman (only the first one).

I've enjoyed them and he's a got huge style points for colours and fight scenes. I've only rewatched the 300 movies.

All I know is rewatching them, they are actually shit movies with trash storylines. So the second time i watched it, I've already gotten past the cool fights the first time. They were actually crap movies. I havent seen a second time MoS or WW, so I dont know how well they'd hold up another go around.

I get a sense from people (and me too so far), he's a very sizzle over substance kind of movie guy. Great aesthetics, but in reality shit movies, plot and script.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I;ve only seen some of Zach Snyder's movies. And I havent watched any Rebel Moon (and never will). From what I remember, I've seen the 300 movies, Man of Steel and Wonder Woman (only the first one).

I've enjoyed them and he's a got huge style points for colours and fight scenes. I've only rewatched the 300 movies.

All I know is rewatching them, they are actually shit movies with trash storylines. So the second time i watched it, I've already gotten past the cool fights the first time. They were actually crap movies. I havent seen a second time MoS or WW, so I dont know how well they'd hold up another go around.

I get a sense from people (and me too so far), he's a very sizzle over substance kind of movie guy. Great aesthetics, but in reality shit movies, plot and script.
300 was an adaptation of the comic, and a spectacular one at that. He didn't direct Wonder Woman, but I think he influenced a lot. Watchman would another of his good comic adaptations. I feel like he gravely misunderstood the characters of Jor-El and Pa Kent, and injected a bit too much of jesus into Superman.

His main failing, I think, is to over rely on a bag of tricks that has been endlessly iterated on (the slo-mo particularly) and his story beats which are very adolescent teen boy fanfic level of "this would be awesome!".

He seems like a good, honest guy though, probably a pleasure to work with and delivers product on time and on budget. I just think he needs less autonomy and a better partnership for him to shine.

Top Bottom