• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Policy Notes And Sign-Up

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
E3 Policy Notes (same as last year):

Special Notes:

1.) During E3 (Sunday, June 14th *through* Thursday, June 18th) all reaction threads will be locked. A reaction thread consists of such things as "Wow Sony just won E3!", "Zelda U has the best graphics ever!", "Is the Xbox One doomed now?", "Where is The Last Guardian?? Where's Santa Monica!?", "Are you buying a Wii U now?", "Does Microsoft have anything left? They announced so many games!", "Does Microsoft have the best Japanese support of any console?", or anything else that is just a thread about immediate reactions to events. For the duration, these threads will be locked on sight. If you feel you have somethings important to say on these matters, either ask in the main conference threads, or write-up a really good thread on it and post it on Friday, June 19th.

2.) If you post a news thread, make sure it contains actual details of the news at hand. If your thread is simply Title: "OMG KIRBY WII U ANNOUNCED!" Body: "ON THE STREAM!" your thread will be locked and we reserve the right to junior you, since this goes against normal thread policies anyway.

3.) Do not post new news from E3 in a pre-E3 thread. Either make a new thread, or pick an existing thread made during E3.

Policy Reminders:

1.) Do not complain about the purpose of a thread. This includes complaining about people judging gameplay in a gameplay video thread, judging graphics in a screenshot thread, or calling something too nitpicky or biased in a review/technical analysis/critique thread. Instead, if you disagree, either post the reason (in detail) that you disagree with the point being made ("I think the graphics look great, just look at the shadowing and texture detail!", "I don't notice frame hitching at 60 fps personally, so it doesn't bother me.", "In my experience with the game, I found the encounter design to be great actually, for example..."), or simply avoid the thread if you feel you are unable to.

2.) If you feel there's a problem with someone breaking the rules, simply PM a mod and do not engage. There are only ~20 mods and tens of thousands of posts a day, so we simply cannot be everywhere and see every infraction without your help.

Other Notes:

1.) All other rules obviously still apply. For specifics, see our FAQ forum and the Terms of Service. For general information on how to post in high volume, high tension situations, read this note by EviLore.

2.) If you have any questions, please PM a moderator. If a question comes up frequently, we will post an update here. If not, you will receive an answer via PM. Due to volume, your answer may not be immediate.

E3 Conference Thread Creators:
-Bethesda: ?
-Microsoft: Relix
-EA: Nirolak
-Ubisoft: Lavalamp1138
-Sony: ULTROS
-Nintendo: BY2K
-Square: ?
-PC Gaming: MrOrange

Conference Thread Notes:

These threads are meant to be pretty barebones and mostly just list when the conference is, where to follow it, and what is expected to be shown.

As such, we've historically had the same people create these threads since we knew they'd keep low relatively low on graphics and get the right information in, and it's a thread that falls off into obscurity very quickly.

However, last year people brought up some fairness concerns. For this year we're going with the same setup, but if people feel strongly about it, we can have all conference threads posted by ModBot next year.

If you wish to give information to the person making the thread, feel free to PM the above creator. Keep in mind we don't want animated elements or lots of visuals or lots of superfluous information.

Ideally, the threads will pretty much just list:
  • The starting time of the event in multiple time zones, probably just with the image above.
  • A countdown clock to the conference.
  • Links to at least one livestream and one liveblog.
  • List the games known to be at the event, list the games believably rumored to be at the event, and list the games confirmed not to be at the event. Listing games that might be there, but we have no solid reason to believe they will be, is optional, and they should be clearly labeled.
  • To be clear I will be deleting any excessive imagining or GIFs within the first 100 posts of the thread. We want 3G phone users to be able to log onto GAF, read the OP, and click a liveblog without their phone imploding. To be clear, banners and things are fine, just don't overload the thread with lots of game screenshots and train images and etc.
The goal is that people can quickly look and decide if they want to bother watching a conference.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If anyone has started or knows who is making the threads for PC Gaming, Bethesda, or Square Enix, please mention it here.

If not we can pretty easily find people.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A have a few banners, but put together they don't even add to 1MB. So that should be fine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A have a few banners, but put together they don't even are 1MB. So that should be fine.

Yes, that's perfectly fine.

I just mean that you shouldn't be putting in five screenshots per game.

The rules are mostly to help people making the new threads this year (Bethesda, PC Gaming, Square Enix).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What concerns did people have about fairness? I'm curious.

It was the same people every year since they're just barebones information threads and what we really needed was just people who we knew would get the requirements and threads done in time.

However, you know, people get excited to make these kinds of threads a la OTs (even though they're quite different), and we didn't provide a clear enough explanation of what these types of threads were about, so people felt we were unfairly locking newer users out of ever making the threads.

I totally understand the complaint, which is why I mentioned this as an option there are enough people who are still upset.

Are you guys going to be closing down new general discussion threads unrelated to E3?

No, just reaction threads to E3 news. Like, if Sony shows off The Last Guardian and someone makes a thread entitled "Has Sony won the generation!?!" it's getting orbital nuked.

MattyG

Banned
I'd be willing to do the Bethesda one if no one else is. I don't have any banners or anything, but if no one is planning on doing it I'd be happy to.

klaushm

If someone do a thread about an announcement with little information, it will be given time to get that info or the person needs to give a warning like "updating as info come"?

Assuming it is not just a hype created thread.

The question is serious. I'm just asked it in a dumb way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If someone do a thread about an announcement with little information, it will be given time to get that info or the person needs to give a warning like "updating as info come"?

Assuming it is not just a hype created thread.

The question is serious. I'm just asked it in a dumb way.

We essentially want an honest effort in making a good thread about the announcement.

If you need to take 2-3 minutes to get all the information typed up, but someone else rushes in and posts a thread in 30 seconds in order to be first, their thread is getting locked and your thread will stay open.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I suspect Kagari will be doing the E3 thread, yes, but I haven't had a chance to confirm so with her and wanted to get the thread up.

Can mods please enforce the old READ THE OP FIRST OR ELSE rule to avoid needless comments asking what has happened or to avoid people solely reading the title of the thread and asking questions that are answered in the op? So many threads have commenters who have clearly ignored the OP and it just ends up being filled with the same questions and answers over and over again. The steam sales thread is an excellent example of this recently.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can mods please enforce the old READ THE OP FIRST OR ELSE rule to avoid needless comments asking what has happened or to avoid people solely reading the title of the thread and asking questions that are answered in the op? So many threads have commenters who have clearly ignored the OP and it just ends up being filled with the same questions and answers over and over again.

We can try, but keep in mind there aren't that many of us and there could be something like 50,000-100,000+ posts a day during E3.

If you feel people are notably misbehaving, please PM us.

klaushm

We essentially want an honest effort in making a good thread about the announcement.

If you need to take 2-3 minutes to get all the information typed up, but someone else rushes in and posts a thread in 30 seconds in order to be first, their thread is getting locked and your thread will stay open.

Oh Nirolak thanks. I'm building a thread for .hack announcement for weeks.
Not gonna happen any time soon, maybe never, I know.
Would hate myself if someone rushed and got that.
Content over speed. Thank you :)

We can try, but keep in mind there aren't that many of us and there could be something like 50,000-100,000+ posts a day during E3.

If you feel people are notably misbehaving, please PM us.
It's not misbehavior, it's just threads are being filled with redundant comments and it doesnt add anything to the conversation.

There used to be a blanket policy years ago that not reading the op would lead to a possible temporary ban and this behavior was curbed for some time thanks to it, and the forum was better for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's not misbehavior, it's just threads are being filled with redundant comments and it doesnt add anything to the conversation.

There used to be a blanket policy years ago that not reading the op would lead to a possible temporary ban and this behavior was curbed for some time thanks to it, and the forum was better for it.
That policy never stopped existing. We just have a lot of posts these days.

Can you guys autoban anyone who makes a thread called "Where can *company* go from here?" That'd be cool.

These are the kinds of "reaction threads" we are locking.

Is there any way after the event is over, we could get a list of all the threads created for new game news. I always miss stuff every year.
If this is done already, apologies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there any way after the event is over, we could get a list of all the threads created for new game news. I always miss stuff every year.
If this is done already, apologies.

Amir0x normally handles one throughout E3. It will be stickied if he makes one.

This thread will be unstickied before the actual event starts so we only have three stickies at a time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Actually, once we get the sign-ups worked out, I might have Rosti just integrate the policy into the other thread to lower the number of stickies as they're kind of big on mobile.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If anyone has started or knows who is making the threads for PC Gaming, Bethesda, or Square Enix, please mention it here.

If not we can pretty easily find people.

Yo, I'm totally down to do one for Bethesda.

edit: ah nvm, didn't see the posts above me.

Kadin

This is probably outside the scope of this thread but I think it's somewhat related. Have you guys (mods/admins) ever thought about or discussed having a temporary tabbed page like 'Gaming' and 'Off Topic' but only used on a temporary basis for stuff like E3 or other short-term events?

Basically a new section which you guys can activate and deactivate as needed specifically tailored for said events. Or is this something that would just add more work for you guys with no actual benefit? To me, it seems like it could help keep stuff contained to one area and allow people to maybe more quickly find stuff since the main Gaming section can become so furiously erratic.

Again, just wondered if this was ever discussed and quickly turned down for whatever reason. This might be a programming nightmare for all I know so forgive my ignorance if that's the case.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yo, I'm totally down to do one for Bethesda.

edit: ah nvm, didn't see the posts above me.

Same. I'd be down but if MattyG wants it he can.

I'd be willing to do the Bethesda one if no one else is. I don't have any banners or anything, but if no one is planning on doing it I'd be happy to.

I'll let you three work that one out since it doesn't sound like anyone is widely known to be making it.

I wasn't aware of fairness concerns. I've been making the Ubisoft thread for years and it's always a pleasure to do so but I usually wait until the last minute to commit in case someone else expresses interest. I've never been contacted by anyone wanting to give it a shot or even collaborate, which I'm always open to. Heck, last year I was traveling abroad during E3 and prepared the thread before I left the country in case no one wanted to do it, which ended up being the case, so I got up early in the morning (damn time zones) before the conference went live, put up the thread, then went back to sleep.

Volotaire

MRORANGE signalled his interest in making the PC gaming Show OT and will be creating it.

EDIT: It's already in the OP ah.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You guys might see the Sony E3 Conference thread much earlier because I'll be away for a trip, so please don't respond to it guys. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I'll be locking most of them until 10 minutes before. We've handled this one a couple of times for Ultros due to the time zones.

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, I'll be locking most of them until 10 minutes before. We've handled this one a couple of times for Ultros due to the time zones.
What time should we have the threads up at? The Bethesda conference is Sunday night, so should that one be up Saturday night? Sunday morning?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What time should we have the threads up at? The Bethesda conference is Sunday night, so should that one be up Saturday night? Sunday morning?

Ideally about 1 hour before the show, but if you need to put it up earlier you can and we'll lock it until it's time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so Kagari can't do the thread.

If someone else wants it, feel free to claim it, otherwise I can just throw something up when the time comes.

Top Bottom