• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic TOP25 Sales* (JAN-1994) w/ figures

After being contacted by a well-informed GAFer I realized the NPD chart I had posted earlier was too low b/c the NPD has regularly revised their figures over time and my numbers were out-of-date (Nintendo's were particularly low - and that of course is a problem:D). So I've created a formula to 'revise' my numbers upwards and make them, hopefully, more accurate but different from the 'official' numbers, this way I can post them. I'm starting back in January 1994 where my data begins and will go forward from there so there are no LTDs yet. It's also right in the middle of the U.S. 16-Bit console war. Good times...

JAN-1994:
Code:
1   GEN    Mortal Kombat ($55)               	                Acclaim	   94,144	
2   GEN    Eternal Champions ($60)	                Sega	   63,494	
3   GEN    John Madden NFL 94 ($54)	                EA	   63,118	
4   GEN    Sonic Spinball ($44)		                Sega	   59,714	
5   GEN    Aladdin ($48)	                                Sega	   58,324	
6   GEN    Street Fighter II: Special Champion Ed ($62)	Capcom	   49,269	
7   GEN    Joe Montana NFL Football 94 ($55)		Sega	   49,143	
8   SNES  Mortal Kombat ($57)    	                Acclaim	   43,697	
9   GEN    NHL 94 ($60)	                                EA	   39,734 / NEW
10  SNES  Aladdin ($60)	                                Capcom	   38,914	
11  SNES  Super Mario All-Stars ($55)	                Nintendo	   29,872	
12  SNES  Super Mario Kart ($47)	                Nintendo	   26,888	
13  SNES  John Madden NFL 94 ($56)	                EA	   25,191	
14  GEN    Lethal Enforcers ($62)		                Konami	   24,258 / NEW
15  SNES  Street Fighter II Turbo	($66)	                Capcom	   23,862	
16  GEN    Tecmo Super NBA Basketball ($60)	Tecmo	   22,187	
17  NES    Tetris 2 ($38)	                                Nintendo	   22,065	
18  SNES  Mega Man X ($64)		                Capcom	   20,739 / NEW
19  SNES  TMNT: Tournament Fighters ($58) 	Konami	   20,679	
20  SNES  Secret of Mana ($66)		                Square	   20,579	
21  GEN    Jurassic Park ($47)		                Sega	   20,449	
22  SNES  Tecmo Super Bowl ($61)	                Tecmo	   19,687	
23  SNES  NHL Stanley Cup ($48)	                Nintendo	   19,550	
24  GEN    X-Men ($49)	                                Sega	   19,205	
25  GEN    WWF Royal Rumble ($55)	                Acclaim	   17,611	

Sega Genesis ($109)	261,463
                             Super NES ($119)          163,907
                             NES ($49)	                  32,769
                             Atari Jaguar ($249)           1,904
                             3DO Multiplayer ($699):D     634
                             SNK Neo*Geo ($409)               4

Also I will try and update you guys weekly with the next chart instead of monthly. And I may revise these numbers again if I discover they are off.

So talk about the Good 'ol 16-bit days...:)

(Is there anyway to get rid of that blank space around the chart?)

Updated w/ average SW prices.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
2 GEN Eternal Champions Sega 63,494

and people bitch about what consumers buy now and days.

Speevy

Banned
With the graphics of the Sega Saturn and the innovation of the Sega CD, it's clear that the next generation console battle may be over before it begins.

Rotanibor

Speevy said:
With the graphics of the Sega Saturn and the innovation of the Sega CD, it's clear that the next generation console battle may be over before it begins.

Nahh man its whoever gets the exclusive on Mortal Kombat. That will decide next gen. This war isn't over yet!

I've been hearing rumors that Nintendo is in talks with Acclaim right now to get it. They WILL be making a come back.

Square2005 said:
Code:
1   GEN    Mortal Kombat		                Acclaim	   94,144	
2   GEN    Eternal Champions		                Sega	   63,494	
20  SNES  Secret of Mana		                Square	   20,579
The King, the Wannabe, and the Most Underrated Square Game. Good memories.

cvxfreak

The SNES needs Donkey Kong in order to come back. Donkey Kong was popular on the arcades, and will help sell more SNESs.

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
The SNES needs Donkey Kong in order to come back. Donkey Kong was popular on the arcades, and will help sell more SNESs.

You're insane. Donkey Kong is a dead series. Super Mario World 2 will save the SNES.

I'll admit it... I was a mainstreamer (just a little kid - 8 yrs. old) back then and the only game I bought that year was Tom & Jerry (SNES):lol .
Oh I missed out on some real classics b/c of my ignorance (I shoulda subscribed to NP after I received my SNES - then maybe I'd have bin familiar w/ some of the better titles available then).

:lol those were the days.

Nintendo's holiday 1993 lineup was dismal ... with the whole Mortal Kombat fiasco and their big game being Super Mario All-Stars.

1994, with Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat 2/w blood set things right again.

For you nostalgics though, take a good look at this ... this is most likely the "peak" of Sega and the Genesis brand.

Oliver.S said:
We will see Super Mario World 2 on the Project Reality, i guess.

Project Reality is teh vaporware! It's just a bunch of SGI workstations, Nintendo will delay it to 1998, just like the SNES CD.

Wait till you see Sonic and Virtua Fighter on the 32X!

AniHawk

Oliver.S said:
We will see Super Mario World 2 on the Project Reality, i guess.
Nah, it should be out soon enough. It's not like Nintendo would suddenly go 15 years without a new Super Mario Bros. game. :p

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Nintendo is teh kiddie. Mortal Kombat and other matoor games just don't sell on Nintendo systems. This generation is over and Sega owns the market. We want a true next gen system, bring it out Sega. Saturn will own the world, you heared it first here.

Speevy said:

Just wait til that rumored SONY cd-rom addon hits! Then its smooth sailing for the Big N!

Why does it show Aladdin GEN published by Capcom? I thought Virgin Interactive published the genesis version (and was developed by Shiny)

By the way, Aladdin on genesis was the first game to truly show the power of the Cel :lol

soul creator said:
Why does it show Aladdin GEN published by Capcom? I thought Virgin Interactive published the genesis version (and was developed by Shiny)

By the way, Aladdin on genesis was the first game to truly show the power of the Cel :lol

Actually I did make a mistake: according to NPD it was published by Sega not Capcom or Virgin.

Matt_C

Square2005 said:
JAN-1994:
Code:
                             NES ($49)	                  32,769

Now it's time to buy the NES. You might never know if you want another system to play Contra again or the vastly under rated Dragon Warrior games just in case if your old one goes kaput. Please Enix, make us a SNES Dragon Warrior. If you cash in the nostaliga factor, you will win over the American market.

Matt_C said:
Now it's time to buy the NES. You might never know if you want another system to play Contra again or the vastly under rated Dragon Warrior games just in case if your old one goes kaput. Please Enix, make us a SNES Dragon Warrior. If you cash in the nostaliga factor, you will win over the American market.

YES! Please bring us DraQue V, Enix!!!

FiRez

soul creator said:

yeah capcom is a medium sized developer (their only goldmine is megaman) so I doubt that they have the resources to publish their own game in america

shuri

Banned
I have the blood code for mk snes, you guys bring 5$ each, meet me next to the stairs leading to the cafeteria at lunch time and i'll have the code for you.

FiRez

shuri said:
I have the blood code for mk snes, you guys bring 5$ each, meet me next to the stairs leading to the cafeteria at lunch time and i'll have the code for you.

do you have the code for the sexuality moves too?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The SNES version of Mortal Kombat was better. Don't try and play the blood n fatality Genesis card on me.

shuri

Banned
AniHawk said:
Can I at least have my $5 back until then?
Well call it an investement; I could photocopy you a few move sheets for 25 cents each. These are super secret infos, if Midway employees were to find out, they could hire lawyers to go after us and put us in jail!*

* actual quote I heard so many times back then

But let's get back to the subject, who seriously likes Street fighter over mk? SF2 isnt realistic, look at how fast Bison can uses his light punch, it's so lame and dumb!

MK is awesome!

cvxfreak

12 SNES Super Mario Kart Nintendo 26,888
Super Mario Kart has legs. Nintendo ought to be developing a sequel for Project Reality.

Reilly

Defensor said:
The SNES version of Mortal Kombat was better. Don't try and play the blood n fatality Genesis card on me.

Why? cause it had the names inside the health bars? :lol

that was always the key arguement back in the day with my friends :(

AniHawk

shuri said:
Well call it an investement; I could photocopy you a few move sheets for 25 cents each. These are super secret infos, if Midway employees were to find out, they could hire lawyers to go after us and put us in jail!*

* actual quote I heard so many times back then

But let's get back to the subject, who seriously likes Street fighter over mk? SF2 isnt realistic, look at how fast Bison can uses his light punch, it's so lame and dumb!

MK is awesome!

...but I needed that money for lunch.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Reilly said:
Why? cause it had the names inside the health bars? :lol

that was always the key arguement back in the day with my friends :(
SNES version had the better graphics, color palette, sound (Both music and effects), and controls(before the 6 button controller, 3 button stock controller FTL) closer to the arcade than the genny version.

Top Bottom