• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=171560942#post171560942

^ OT is up. Please post there.

Edit -

7/10 update:
54J86Hy.png

Nmg13pO.png

7/9 update:

I watched all 8 of the New Horizons one minute Pluto videos on Youtube today. Great way to catch up if you haven't been paying attential all along.

Pluto in a minute

7/8 update:

7/6 update:
NASA released some new images, must have been taken before the glitch.

D4bI1vy.png

Another image:
2JNaL3g.jpg

Step up, thread, thought this would have been here

UodI665.gif

This is what we had before

1362472072_Pluto_animiert.gif

July 14th is the magic date. National Space Society created this teaser video.

On July 14th, NASA’s New Horizons mission will make its closest approach to the Pluto system, completing the first reconnaissance of the solar system’s major planets, begun over 50 years ago by NASA. With the completion of the Pluto flyby by New Horizons next month, NASA will have completed successful missions to every planet from Mercury to Pluto.

The NSS recognizes the historic culmination of this era of first planetary reconnaissance, for which the United States will be forever inscribed in history.

To celebrate, the NSS commissioned a short video film, called “New Horizons,” which is being released today. “New Horizons” was directed and produced by Erik Wernquist, whose video “Wanderers,” looking to the future of solar system exploration by humans, created a viral sensation last year. NSS member and New Horizons mission leader Alan Stern served as advisor the video. The video was funded for NSS by contributions to NSS made by New Horizons mission partners Aerojet Rockedyne, Ball Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, and United Launch Alliance.

I love the message at the end of the video:
Dedicated to all those who carried out the first reconnaissance missions to explore the planets.

This era, from 1962 to 2015, is surely one of Humankind's most legendary achievements.

Hail to the teams who conceived, built, and flew these historic projects:

Mariner
Pioneer
Voyager
Dawn
New Horizons

Latest image of Pluto:

There's two Pluto threads going, figured I'd post this here, too.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-and-its-moon-charon-now-in-color

UfgoKqs.jpg

7Lflrjp.jpg

Wthermans

Banned
I am really excited for this. I remember streaming the launch live. I am also interested to know how long until it bypasses Voyager 2 distance and what trajectory out of our system it is heading. We still get signals from Voyager 2 so I can only imagine how long New Horizons will go.

Log4Girlz

According to the schedule which lists on what days we'll have what resolution level per pixel on the camera, we should start getting great shit in early July

Orbis

According to the schedule which lists on what days we'll have what resolution level per pixel on the camera, we should start getting great shit in early July
I'm more excited for this than I should be. Pluto is a fascinating object, it even has five moons. But so far we've had absolutely no idea what it looks like. Bear in mind that this:

Pluto_viewed_by_New_Horizons_28_May-3_June_2015.gif

Was taken recently by the approaching probe and is the most detail we've ever seen.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Unbelievable that such a massive landmark in human engineering isn't receiving much attention.

Mecha

Unbelievable that such a massive landmark in human engineering isn't receiving much attention.

That seems to be a common theme for space related news. Scientists can discover and do amazing things, and they will still get less coverage than a white woman pretending to be black.

But Pluto is no longer a planet, they have completed traveling to every planet long ago!

Pretty much what I was thinking. Shouldn't it say "planets and former planets"? Heh.

This still bugs me about that: Pluto is now a "dwarf planet". Since the people who decided whether it's a planet or not don't understand the most basic of grammar rules, it's still a planet. Adding an adjective doesn't change the definition of a noun. Dwarf galaxies are galaxies. Dwarf planets aren't planets?

This isn't a term that evolved out of popular misuse or something: this misnomer was deliberately applied by a group of scientists. Ridiculous.

Markster

I am also interested to know how long until it bypasses Voyager 2 distance and what trajectory out of our system it is heading.
Looks like Voyager 2 is still going faster than New Horizons. According to Wikipedia:

Pioneer 10: ~12.037 km/s
Pioneer 11: ~11.376 km/s
Voyager 1: ~17.043 km/s
Voyager 2: ~15.436 km/s
New Horizons: ~13.78 km/s

The Voyagers have a lock on being the furthest-travelled probes for the next several decades at least.
New Horizons will outpace the Pioneer probes eventually.

Damn right although I'd extend that to science in general at the moment.

There's so many things going on right now across different fields that it's hard to keep track of it all.

Actually, do we have a science and technology OT on GAF?

True, but I'm going to major in astrophysics so I pay extra attention to the stars

The fact that we are going to get the first high resolution closeups of Pluto excites me to no end. This last couple of years have been great in space exploration.

Looks like Voyager 2 is still going faster than New Horizons. According to Wikipedia:

Pioneer 10: ~12.037 km/s
Pioneer 11: ~11.376 km/s
Voyager 1: ~17.043 km/s
Voyager 2: ~15.436 km/s
New Horizons: ~13.78 km/s

The Voyagers have a lock on being the furthest-travelled probes for the next several decades at least.
New Horizons will outpace the Pioneer probes eventually.

According to this news post as Voyager 1 had a couple of gravity boosts from planetary flybys and is travelling at 17 km/s whereas New Horizons will be travelling at 13 km/s when it leaves the Kuiper Belt. I know the thread is about New Horizons but Voyager really blows my mind when i think of it. Opportunity still operational on Mars, Philae waking up, the Voyagers, New Horizons all great stuff.

I'm really excited for the next few years and what New Horizons and Philae will show us and i'm only an interested member of the public. Folks in the various fields must be giddy with anticipation!

kinn

Agreed. Such a shame.

blows my mind at how they calculate a trajectory to a moving object that takes nearly 10 years to get there...

Yeah agreed again! Amazing.

But Pluto is no longer a planet, they have completed traveling to every planet long ago!

I thought it was still classed as a planet? Dwarf Planet?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Shouldn't it say "planets and former planets"? Heh.

This still bugs me about that: Pluto is now a "dwarf planet". Since the people who decided whether it's a planet or not don't understand the most basic of grammar rules, it's still a planet. Adding an adjective doesn't change the definition of a noun. Dwarf galaxies are galaxies. Dwarf planets aren't planets?

This isn't a term that evolved out of popular misuse or something: this misnomer was deliberately applied by a group of scientists. Ridiculous.

It's common for technical definitions to differ slightly from dictionary denotations.

Ty4on

If Pluto is a planet we have a lot more than 9.

It's common for technical definitions to differ slightly from dictionary denotations.

Yes, but they had the opportunity to avoid it, even mentioning potential confusion, and didn't. That's crazy.

I thought it was still classed as a planet? Dwarf Planet?

See?

And, Ty4on, I didn't mean to say Pluto is still literally a planet. I agree with the reasoning that it should be classified differently. It's the moronic name they chose that I take issue with.

What's going to weird is seeing that image we all have of Pluto's "atmosphere" and it's yellow-brown tints being disproven, most likely. Either that, or Pluto isn't a regular Kuiper Belt object, making it much more interesting than just another icy rock.

it took less than a hundred years from its (contemporary re-) discovery to actually getting a close-up (sort of), which is in itself amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom