• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3-in-1 combo thread (DS Lite, GBA Super Street Fighter 2, Wario Ware Twisted)

I have these 3 questions at the back of my head and I thought I ask them all in one thread instead of making a separate one for each and cluttering the first page... I hope that's ok :p

1) Is the "dot pitch" on the DS Lite LCD the same as that on GBA SP? In other words, if I play a GBA game on DS Lite will it occupy the exact same screen size of the GBA LCD?

2) How accurate is the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival GBA port from the arcade? In terms of resolution, character sprites, and animation frames?

3) What's the ROM size of Wario Ware Twisted? It's gotta be huge, the amount of content crammed into this cart is truly mind blowing! There is a ridiculous variety of art assets, voice samples, and games... I'm still discovering new things in the game to this day, and hearing new voices and stuff and thinking "Damn, I can't believe they wasted storage space for something so obscure and random like that".

And now that the questions are out of the way, I will turn this into a Wario Ware Twisted appreciation post... Holy **** I love this game.

They had to do maintenance for the electricity wiring at work today, so we had nothing to do for a few hours, everyone was bumming around on the couches when I whipped out the Game Boy Micro and Wario Ware Twisted, one guy asked me to try it, and the rest was history, everyone wanted to play, and I was laughing constantly and non-stop on their reactions and comments, it was so hilarious, especially watching a fat old manager play on the tiny GB Micro :lol

One semi-negative comment I have to make about Wario Ware though is that it's sometimes hard to sell people on the "5-second random micro game" aspect of it, because it's either too simplistic and repetitive (the very first story sections for example) or too difficult & fast for beginners if you want to give them variety (the sky scrapers)... So I found that curious non-gamers are more drawn towards the Games under Souvenirs, those are genuine mini-games as opposite to the "micro-games" in the main game, where you choose one game and the better you play the longer you stay alive and the higher you score... Pyouro R was very popular today - I personally think Wario Bike is awesome, it really takes skill to master and it's just plain fun.

Wario Ware Inc came out of nowhere and was an instant classic with me and my friends, and Twisted took the same formula and made it much better. And even though Touched sucked balls (major disappointment, I had huge hopes for it) the franchise remains one of my favorites and I hope Nintendo keeps making great titles to add to the series... I skipped the GC offering(s), but will be getting the Wii version for sure... Can we hope for a brilliant new WW for DS? Or do you think Nintendo has exhausted this formula for handhelds and/or the touch screen simply doesn't work for it?

demi

1. Yes...? It's not the same size as a DS game, you can go ahead and compare the two, GBA games have a black border around them when you play

2. Get SF3 Alpha instead

3. 128 Mbit

demi said:
1. Yes...? It's not the same size as a DS game, you can go ahead and compare the two, GBA games have a black border around them when you play

2. Get SF3 Alpha instead

3. 128 Mbit

1. I know it's not the same size as a DS game, I know about the black borders (I own a DS, my Lite should be here tomorrow, just can't wait to find out myself).

2. I have SFA3 and SSF2TR, I think they're equally good. SSF2 has certain advantages over SFA3, specifically the "arcadey" feel to it, the characters are MUCH bigger and more detailed than SFA3 and it really makes a difference.

3. Interesting... Is that considered above average for GBA? What's the largest GBA cart size?

demi

Looking at a GBA Release List (yarr), it seems the highest you can search for is 256 Mbit, and most of them are found in those GBA Videos, or dual packs (2 in 1)

Other games that are 256:

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Mother 3
Riviera

Naked Snake said:
1. I know it's not the same size as a DS game, I know about the black borders (I own a DS, my Lite should be here tomorrow, just can't wait to find out myself).

2. I have SFA3 and SSF2TR, I think they're equally good. SSF2 has certain advantages over SFA3, specifically the "arcadey" feel to it, the characters are MUCH bigger and more detailed than SFA3 and it really makes a difference.

3. Interesting... Is that considered above average for GBA? What's the largest GBA cart size?

DS: 256 × 192px
GBA: 240 × 160px
When playing GBA on DS, there are 8 pixels of black bar on top, 8 on the bottom, 16 on the left and 16 right. GBA games play the same size they do on the fat DS and DS Lite.

Warioware Twisted is double the size of the original.

demi said:
Looking at a GBA Release List (yarr), it seems the highest you can search for is 256 Mbit, and most of them are found in those GBA Videos, or dual packs (2 in 1)

Other games that are 256:

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Mother 3
Riviera

Yeah I guess 128Mbit (16MByte) is relatively big and doesn't make Twisted's amount of content seem that miraculous anymore, it's a generous cart size... I think SFA3 was 64Mbit (8MByte), or was it 32Mbit?

Psyclone

Naked Snake said:

Die you bastard!! I still have to wait till friday to get my DS lite! :(

MinusDSL.jpg

Psyclone said:
Die you bastard!! I still have to wait till friday to get my DS lite! :(

MinusDSL.jpg

Nice!

The following post is for Psyclone only:

To be realistic, the optimist in me is hoping it will get here tomorrow, depends on Aramex and sharmatet-hom, not to mention the possibility of it being stuck with customs... *shudder* But in all cases, I'll definitely get it before Friday :p

I got Tarek Animal Crossing, he's loving it, I can't really see YOU liking it though, odd choice :\

Let me know how you like Brain Age... and I guess we can't play Mario Kart together if my game is USA and yours is European, right? :(

Psyclone

ok... since its a 3 in 1 thread might as well ask a random question:-

Mario Kart DS = region free compatibility?

Can we Lan MKDS between a US and UK version?!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Most games work world-wide. However, I'm pretty sure that the Japanese AC won't communicate with the US/Euro AC. USA and Euro AC will communicate with each other. All other games (so far) are truly worldwide, however.

Mejilan said:
Most games work world-wide. However, I'm pretty sure that the Japanese AC won't communicate with the US/Euro AC. USA and Euro AC will communicate with each other. All other games (so far) are truly worldwide, however.

That's so awesome, I didn't know that... Even through WiFi Connection?

Top Bottom