• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Impress interviews Yoshida about "VR Gold Rush" and more

Kinan

Pretty interesting interview from Watch Impress, even if only reading the google translate version of it. Would be great if any of Japanese Gaffers could provide better translation.

Some interesting titbits:

- Main Guerilla team has moved to Horizon immediately after Killzone 3, KZ:SF was done by the second team. So the game is 4 years in development already.

- Same for Dreams - LBP2 team is making it all the time since LBP2 release.

- Practically confirms Morpheus support for Dreams, urges to wait for official reveal in Paris Games Week(starts 28th October). Says its easier to make 3D models in 3D.

- First reveal trailer for TLG was combined from single frames, since PS3 dev kit was not able to run it well. They believed they at that time that they will make it work eventually, but they couldn't.

- VIRZOOM (with bike, lol) and UCOM (with Move shooting attachment) Morpheus demos shown to the interviewer

- Sad about lack of Japanese indies.

- Glad about Oculus Touch controller announcement, since now all major VR players have solution for 3D control, which provides the possibility to develop similar experiences/games for multiple 3D platforms.

Alx

- Practically confirms Morpheus support for Dreams, urges to wait for official reveal in Paris Game Expo. Says its easier to make 3D models in 3D.

I'm really curious to see how that will be handled, PGW will be interesting. With most creation tools, even the best designed ones, regular users (like me) can't do much better than shapeless 3D turds.

- First reveal trailer for TLG was combined from single frames, since PS3 dev kit was not able to run it well. They believed they at that time that they will make it work eventually, but they couldn't.

So a CGI target render. Why not call it that ? ;)

Pretty interesting interview from Watch Impress, even if only reading the google translate version of it. Would be great if any of Japanese Gaffers could provide better translation.

- Main Guerilla team has moved to Horizon immediately after Killzone 3, KZ:SF was done by the second team. So the game is 4 years in development already.

Not exactly 4 years of full work though, actually around 20 guys began prototyping what would become Horizon after Killzone 3. And the game is in full dev since Killzone Shadow Fall has shipped, 1 year and a half ago. Guerrilla explained that during E3 on PlayStation LiveCast.

Kinan

I'm really curious to see how that will be handled, PGW will be interesting. With most creation tools, even the best designed ones, regular users (like me) can't do much better than shapeless 3D turds.

Well, that would also be confusing. It probably was running in single digit frames on PS3 dev kit, so they just saved the frames to individual files and than combined in video. In a classical CGI trailer you could do everything on PC cluster off-line, rendering every frame for a minute or so.

So what is it now? They do have two teams at Guerrilla Games in the Netherlands, or not?
(Not counting Cambridge).

Alienous

Hahaha.

Captured on PS3*

one frame at a time

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, that would also be confusing. It probably was running in single digit frames on PS3 dev kit, so they just saved the frames to individual files and than combined in video. In a classical CGI trailer you could do everything on PC cluster off-line, rendering every frame for a minute or so.

Apparently they also turned on some effects and features for that trailer they were not able to run in realtime too.

I assume it'll be easier since it'll feel/look like you're directly touching the 3d model in VR, as opposed in Tv/monitor screen where your eye are looking at the screen while your hand is running blind with the user just relying on the cursor on screen.

It's like drawing on a piece of paper vs drawing in computer with a mouse/wacom tablet.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very cool. Can only go by Google Translate, but he does indeed talk about Morpheus for Dreams like it was already officially announced. He even raises it without being prompted.

Those graphics, in VR, on PS4? Amazing indeed if that's on the plate.

Kinan

vr18.jpg

Dat bike. Revival of Japanese Arcade incoming? :)

I-hate-u

Reading about MM and GG working on their title since their 2011 offerings, I am surprised that Bend has gone the longest since their last big game. They have been silent since Golden Abyss, aka, since the launch of the Vita.

They have to be announcing their game for sure this year.

Theonik

vr18.jpg

Dat bike. Revival of Japanese Arcade incoming? :)
That's actually a fantastic use of current VR. An exercise bike with basic simulator features and a VR headset would make a pretty good seller for VR sets I think and it fits the tech well.

Bend has gone the longest since their last big game. They have been silent since Golden Abyss, aka, since the launch of the Vita.

They have to be announcing their game for sure this year.

I'd keep my expectations tempered though, taking into account rumours of stuff like cancelled Vita projects that probably cuts into how long their current project are actually in development.

iceatcs

Not exactly 4 years of full work though, actually around 20 guys began prototyping what would become Horizon after Killzone 3. And the game is in full dev since Killzone Shadow Fall has shipped, 1 year and a half ago. Guerrilla explained that during E3 on PlayStation LiveCast.
20 in the team is a lot. Most PS game development have about a hundred people at the end. Not like many other publishers, for example like MS who usually like team 200-300 or even more and as well with outsource - Forza etc..

Very cool. Can only go by Google Translate, but he does indeed talk about Morpheus for Dreams like it was already officially announced. He even raises it without being prompted.

Those graphics, in VR, on PS4? Amazing indeed if that's on the plate.
During E3 Alex Evans revealed that Anton Mikhailov was now at Media Molecule. Mikhailov was one of the main engineers at Sony R&D working on Move and Morpheus. I believe he was at the public reveal of both accessories. Evans said "I'll leave it at that", so maybe Yoshida took that as an invitation to blurt.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
During E3 Alex Evans revealed that Anton Mikhailov was now at Media Molecule. Mikhailov was one of the main engineers at Sony R&D working on Move and Morpheus. I believe he was at the public reveal of both accessories. Evans said "I'll leave it at that", so maybe Yoshida took that as an invitation to blurt.

Yes, here he is looking magnificent at his MM desk:

photo-antonm.png

Hopefully this guarantees robust Move stuff with a minimum of fuss around calibration etc.

Alo0oy

Banned

No, the team started as 20 people, but it wasn't like that for the entire development cycle before Shadow fall, they were hiring new developers for years, the team is now over 270 people, which is as big as The Last of Us team & God of War team combined. GG was smaller than Naughty Dog & Santa Monica when Killzone 3 shipped.

Kinan

No, the team started as 20 people, but it wasn't like that for the entire development cycle before Shadow fall, they were hiring new developers for years, the team is now over 270 people, which is as big as The Last of Us team & God of War team combined. GG was smaller than Naughty Dog & Santa Monica when Killzone 3 shipped.

Yea, I also think they should be able to push at least two projects at the same time now. Maybe even with third one in the preliminary study stage.

DavidDesu

Dreams could be the Morpheus killer app. Probably not, but at least if it looks anything like that, but in real 3D VR surrounding you, the yeah it'll be damn cool and impressive, and far closer to their hyperbole of "living your dreams" or whatever they presented it as. That concept just sounds ridiculously hollow if it was being concocted as a 2D flat screen experience. In VR looking like that, it might indeed let you experience some weird, wonderful and possibly dream like things in that headset.

I'm very excited to see it. Surely Sony wouldn't allow such unbridled hyperbole and Hipster-talk if there wasn't something legitimately amazing about it to back it up once we see the final game.

Whatever it is, 3D sculpting in VR will be amazing. I can imagine creative types having an absolute field day, and even plebs like me managing to do cool stuff now that it;s literally what I can imagine and what my hands can mould in space, with no need to be an expert sculptor to make what's in my head come to life.

Those 20 people didn't go straight working on horizon. They had other prototype as well, we heard news about them a couple years ago when they mentioned werewolf game and ghost in the shell game.

kyser73

Dreams could be the Morpheus killer app. Probably not, but at least if it looks anything like that, but in real 3D VR surrounding you, the yeah it'll be damn cool and impressive, and far closer to their hyperbole of "living your dreams" or whatever they presented it as. That concept just sounds ridiculously hollow if it was being concocted as a 2D flat screen experience. In VR looking like that, it might indeed let you experience some weird, wonderful and possibly dream like things in that headset.

I'm very excited to see it. Surely Sony wouldn't allow such unbridled hyperbole and Hipster-talk if there wasn't something legitimately amazing about it to back it up once we see the final game.

Whatever it is, 3D sculpting in VR will be amazing. I can imagine creative types having an absolute field day, and even plebs like me managing to do cool stuff now that it;s literally what I can imagine and what my hands can mould in space, with no need to be an expert sculptor to make what's in my head come to life.

Would be perfect if they announced compatibility with some 3D printers or a way of exporting the design files in a way that allowed that to work.

Top Bottom