• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 4 – Why is this considered the best RE game?

Kevyt

At least it seems that an overwhelming majority of people consider RE4 one of the bests in the series. It was all the talk about RE4 being a great atmospheric game that did everything correct, and how many fans long for another resident evil game like number 4. I managed to grab the game in the steam summer sale, and having never played it before, I was very excited and ready to be blown away. Except I wasn’t, and I found myself annoyed and disappointed for the first half of the game.

The beginning was very rough, a clunky camera with a limited field view, awkward controls that take time getting used to, and humanoid enemies that aren’t completely zombie. The game has not aged well in my opinion, and the pacing in the first of the game for first time players, is in my opinion, rather poor and dull. It starts out slow, you get bombarded by enemies, combined with the poor camera movement and limited field of view, I found myself lost and running from enemies trying to get to next area. It took me a while to find out there was a map you could look at.

The game isn’t scary, is not as atmospheric as many people make it out to be and nor is it about survival. There were very few times I ran out of bullets, the game and enemies provide sufficient types of weapons and ammunitions that you really never run out of. It’s a good thing because there are a lot of enemies. The enemy AI is very poor and all of them are predictable. There is no sense of “what could be lurking behind that corner?” when the enemies are constantly making noises or talking to one another when they hear or see the player coming. Even later at the game the hooded figures are constantly praying and the soldier ganados from the island also scream and yell when the opponent is coming. The game always lets you know when you will face enemies and this breaks the surprise element and makes it easier to prepare accordingly.

There are many healing items in the game from fish to chicken eggs that unless you run directly to the enemies, you won’t be in much danger as long as you move. Keep distance, shoot from a safe space, rinse and repeat. It doesn’t force the player to move out of a comfort zone to tackle challenges differently in which they’ll have to risk themselves from time to time. It goes in hand with my sentiment about the enemies; many who will make sure you know that they are coming for you. Even some few enemies who do not make a lot of noise and will be waiting for you patiently need to be nose-to-nose with the player to hit and do damage, something one can react to quickly enough. Enemies take a lot of time for their hits to connect.

As far as atmosphere, it doesn’t feel scary or a sense of suspense for most of the game. Only in some levels, for example when the player reaches the island and there are the regenerator enemies who regenerate themselves and do considerable damage. There are cells and blood on the floor, with some bags dripping blood and you get to an area and open a container and a bag is moving. I never got to know what that was; I shot it and stopped moving. It was freaky and somewhat disturbing moment. I couldn't stop thinking what that thing was. I thought to myself that if that level was expanded and made as the premise of the whole game, then it would have been much more atmospheric, creepy and suspenseful, something that I have come to expect from resident evil games.

I hate to say this, but I don’t think Resident Evil 4 is a great game at all. In fact it feels like a less polished less refined, a rough draft of Resident Evil 5. So many elements of Resident Evil 4 are present in 5.

Last but not least, Quick Time Events (QTE’s). There are a lot of quick time events, and I don’t really mind them. But I hated having to press RT and LT, followed by X and A followed by RT and LT once again. It caught me off guard many times and it felt annoying at certain points in the game. For all the disdain that Resident Evil 6 got for its QTE’s, I never felt that in 6 the QTE’s were as annoying as 4.

Resident Evil 4 was a good game, I enjoyed it. Yet it was a forgettable experience. A very weak plot for my taste, and definitely not what I expected from the praise this game has gotten.

Dear gaf brethren, what do you think? Do you think that RE4 was one of the best in the series or that perhaps other games were much better?

Call me cray but for me, Resident Evil 6 and 5 were some of the best in the series (not the best, but some of the best), and Leon’s Campaign in RE6 is one of the best moments in the Resident Evil franchise. But I guess that’s another topic for another day.

TLDR; RE4 doesn't really feel like one of the best, it's very rough in some areas, especially in the gameplay, and certain aspects of the game. Definitely not as great as people (some - though feels like the majority) make it out to be.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Its a great action game and the best modern RE. But overall, REmake is still the best of the franchise.

trikster40

Yeah, I didn't like 4 even as much as I liked 5. At least 5 had co-op, and almost anything is fun with a friend. I think seeing the early tech demo of 4 made me wish it was different.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can only assume it's a "you had to be there" type thing. I played it recently for the first time (last year) and all I could think was "this is the supposed best game ever?". I still enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it like I enjoy any RE game, not as some transcendant experience that still hasn't been topped like many call it

It's better than 5 simply because 5 ratcheted up the shootbang to ridiculous levels and forced co-op sucked balls with the AI.

As far as 4 being the best RE, it's still a very good game even without the RE brand. The fact that it changed the entire franchise, and that Capcom and others are so intent on imitating it, speaks volumes about why it's looked so fondly on.

I still think it's best, tied with REmake as different horror games from the same genius.

You know not of which you speak.

I love RE5 as a co-op game, but other than expanding the melee moves the game is poorer than 4 in every respect.

Ralemont

not me
The controls and laser mechanics felt revolutionary at the time, if not for TPS in general then certainly for Resident Evil. RE6's combat mechanics blow RE4 away, and I don't think many people will disagree with you there.

The best explanation I can give is that RE4 balances action and zombie horror (not actual, scary horror but rather the type of horror the earlier games had) in a way that no other game has. RE5 and 6 were too actiony and over the top to feel like Resident Evil games should.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Resident Evil 4 is not the best Resident Evil game, it is my favorite Resident Evil sequel, though. I feel this way because the direction it takes is really ambitious for a fairly tiresome story (at least by that point in the franchise).

I like new things. I like new things that are awesome even more.

CyrusUrus

Neo Member
Its action, pacing and atmosphere make it one of the best games ever, not just the best RE game. RE5 had smoother controls but everything else is worse.

Most people who say that never played the earlier games, and if they did probably failed at working out how to walk in the direction they wanted (seriously, that is a thing).

Shauni

Most people who say that never played the earlier games, and if they did probably failed at working out how to walk in the direction they wanted (seriously, that is a thing).

Because it's literally impossible to enjoy modern RE as much or more than old school RE? Lol, yeah, going to be one of those threads, I guess.

I think it's kind of like the jump from 2d to 3d. That first experience just makes a more lasting impression. Game still controlled like crap though.

Come on, 5 sucked.

It had the forced coop rubbish.
It had terrible boss fights.
The characters and story... Well ok they were on par for the series.

But the simple answer? RE4 is loved because it did a lot of things first. The parts at the start where the enemies are trying to break into the house? That was mindblowing at the time.

So any time RE5 or 6 do something right? It was already in 4 and 4 doesn't do all the other crap that came with the more modern titles.

I have never felt that Resident Evil 4 was the best Resident Evil. It wasn't a bad game, just not a good Resident Evil game. The original direction for Resident Evil 4 seemed much better (even though it seemed to be going in a Super Natural direction). The original 3 games (and even RE0) were far better in my opinion. RE4 just went too far with the Action and had zero scary moments in the game.

The game did have influence on titles after it with regards to it's over-the-shoulder gameplay (like Gears of War). The Evil Within suffered from the same issues that I had with Resident Evil 4, despite Shinji Mikami saying that it was going to be pure Survival Horror. It just wasn't scary and too action oriented. I hope Capcom takes note of the popularity of the REmake Remaster and makes Resident Evil 7 like that instead of the direction of Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6.

I don't really care if it's the best RE game or not because it's one of the best games ever, period. I haven't played anything since that's had as much of an impact on me with pure game design. It's the bar I compare other singleplayer action/adventure titles to, and most fall very short.

I hate to say this, but I don’t think Resident Evil 4 is a great game at all. In fact it feels like a less polished less refined, a rough draft of Resident Evil 5. So many elements of Resident Evil 4 are present in 5.

And those elements are done way, WAY, better in RE4.

And I sorta liked RE5. But it's a pale imitation with co-op, nothing more.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's Leon's hair and jacket.

leon__1_re4___professional_render_by_allan_valentine-d599nzo.png

Yasae

Banned
You had to be there. We're 11 years out from RE4's initial release. Context always matters.

It's overrated but a very solid game, not to mention one that served as an archetype for many others.

Toa TAK

Banned
Call me cray but for me, Resident Evil 6 and 5 were some of the best in the series (not the best, but some of the best), and Leon’s Campaign in RE6 is one of the best moments in the Resident Evil franchise. But I guess that’s another topic for another day.

You're fucking insane. If you said that about RE5 alone, we would've totally been cool, I love that game. Cheesy action movie all the way.

It's still leagues ahead of RE fucking 666.

I think you should also take into consideration when RE4 came out. It really was a game changer to the point where Gears of War took inspiration from its control scheme. RE4 was the last game to be scary (to me) in the mainline series.

Regardless, I'm glad you got to play it. I think a lot of people consider it a mandatory play if you're into horror games.

A lot of people I know who consider RE4 to be the best one only say that because they never tried the originals. Or rather, they tried them, but couldn't get a grasp with the camera angles which is just sad to me.

Anyone who has enjoyed every Resident Evil will say that REmake is the best hands down.

I think it's the best one.

I played through the pc version last year and my opinion hasn't changed.

I'm not exactly sure why. I thought 5 and 6 were pretty good but those games were based around 2 player co-op and I prefer single player.

I was too young to play the earlier games when they were new. 4 was the first Resident Evil game I played through and completed.

I've played through a few of the older games but didn't really like the controls or camera.

I agree that RE5 is the better of the two games that are in "RE4 style". Inventory system, pacing, Upgrading system, and gun-feel are all far superior in RE5 over RE4.

But I also feel that RE4 is in the worst batch of the series, along with 6 and 0.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Holy cow, look at all the hate. You were late to a game that changed the way we played survival horror and you're cutting it deep because of some flaws it has in 2015? Jesus, the game is still one of the best games regardless. Story, theme, shock and horror, and precision aiming. The game defined horror games and it was excellent on the GameCube. I had it at launch. You really wouldn't say that if you had witnessed it first hand, but you're playing now after two and a half console cycles have come and stayed. I get your complaints, but RE5 is no way near as engulfing. I see your points, but I just don't agree with you OP. It's like trashing on Chrono Trigger because you played a modern day JRPG on your phone or Vita. IMO it's like saying FFX is better because the graphics look better than 7-9.

That is very LTTP if you're making those claims.

I felt it was going to be different once the PS2 version came out tbh.

Because it's a perfectly-paced shooter with awesome gameplay, and essentially revolutionized the TPS (Gears of War, Mass Effect, whatever would not be what it is without RE4). Sure, some parts haven't aged extraordinarily well, but even a decade later it continues to be one of the best shooters ever.

You spend a ton of time complaining about how it's not "survival horror", but that's the point. It's a tongue-in-cheak parody of the "scary" old RE's that had stupid stories, terrible writing, constant fetch-quests (to say nothing of the hilariously absurd excuses for having said fetch quests)), and were always a half-step away from being action games, regardless of how much people insist that ammo wasn't practically falling out of the ceiling in them.

Jobbs

Banned
It was a great game, especially for its time, when it was pretty groundbreaking -- But nostalgia, I think, also plays a large factor. I haven't played it in recent years, but I think right now I like Revelations 2 more. I really liked Revelations 2 a lot.

If you weigh nostalgia, RE4 is likely my favorite RE. If you don't, it just might be RER2.

120v

i'll echo the "you have to've been there" sentiment... the game was made when RE - one of the most cherished IPs at the time - had grown pretty stale... tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but limiting), enemies limited to zombies zombies zombies with a few creative battles here and there... then RE4 challenged all that, mostly with success.

by 2015 standards it's pretty pedestrian, i guess. i dunno. i haven't played it since the wii version (which i enjoyed quite a bit). so i'm probably not most qualified to tick off checkboxes of what it did right and wrong in retrospect. but it's probably safe to say there's no way to enjoy it as much now as ten years ago... though i think it's a very well made game and RE7 (assuming it's a reboot of sorts) should look to it as a blueprint

KOMANI

KOMANI
just to clarify...when we're saying Remake...are we saying the game that just came out for the ps4 and xbone ?

Because it's literally impossible to enjoy modern RE as much or more than old school RE? Lol, yeah, going to be one of those threads, I guess.

I said most. As someone who was a member of several RE communities when RE4 launched, most of the people who liked it openly admitted never playing previous games or played one for 5 minutes and gave up.

Fanuilos

I view it as RE4 is to the Resident Evil series as Ocarina of Time is to Zelda or Mario 64 is to Mario games. Sure they haven't aged perfectly, but they changed the way the industry looked at the series AND their respective genre.

You had to be there really.
Theres a reason its been cited as inspiration so often.
Gears,mass effect, any over the shoulder shooter really.
Resident Evil 4 just did it well at the right time.
But the best RE ever is a toss up between REmake and RE2.
Cmon capcom REmake 2

tesqui

A lot of people I know who consider RE4 to be the best one only say that because they never tried the originals. Or rather, they tried them, but couldn't get a grasp with the camera angles which is just sad to me.

Anyone who has enjoyed every Resident Evil will say that REmake is the best hands down.

Nope, I've played the majority of Resident Evil games and I still like RE4 the best. REmake is second in line though.

ZeroCDR

I for one like RE5 better, but that's more because I appreciate the co-op and the shorter length, making it much easier to play through on a whim.

RE4 is objectively the better game, it has incredible level design and enemy encounters, admittedly better than RE5 (and most DEFINITELY better than RE6) no question. Almost every area feels fresh and exciting with multiple ways to dispatch your enemies.

The problem is the game drags on for far too long, I'm ready for the game to end by the time I'm fighting Salazar. Despite this, the Island is still really fun, but it doesn't measure up to what came before it, save for the Regenerators. I'm surprised you consider the first half to be the weakest though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The level design and pacing is dramatically better than 5 and 6, so much so that the improved combat in those games are meaningless in a comparison. IMO of course.

Top Bottom