• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is making it extremely hard for me to pay them money

hesido

I have a nice deal with my debit card company that allows me to get back 50% of money I put in my PSN wallet up to a limit. Back from February, I succesfully did the following,
  1. Put 40 liras
  2. Then immediately put 10 liras so I match the 50 liras of the promotion limit (no 50lira option)
  3. .....
  4. Profit (literally, after the month ends, I receive 25liras back)

I did this 4 times till now, But this month, I made the 40liras payment. It added the funds. I proceeded to add the 10liras, I received the error:
Credit Card information is invalid. (Something along the lines of that, I'm translating.... That's 2 minutes between the two transactions.)

So I remembered that I changed my address on the bank account, but still didn't know why Sony's credit card processor bailed out on me after actually allowing the first, but anyway, I entered my new address with the same credit card information.

It accepted the new info, even successfully took a symbolic amount for test, and put it back.

But now it still gives the same error, no matter how many times I tried to re-write my address. I deleted, re-entered details, test transaction is done, but it doesn't accept my money.

There are many people who can't succesfully pay Sony around multiple forums around the world. We don't have the PSN pre-paid card option in Turkey, btw.

Just a month ago, my brother had this same problem, succesfully added money, but a few months later when nothing changed, this problem popped up, nothing he could do could change it, so he had to use a different card.

Sony is randomly rejecting credit cards, it seems. So far, I had to change my credit card information twice already but I don't want to change this one because of this deal I have and I'm running out of different credit cards to be honest.

Anybody else have this problem, and what did you do to solve it? Is it solveable at all or am I doomed? Sony is very obsessed with address information matching your bank statement but it's got semi-colon and Turkish letters and I have no idea what kind of string matching they can to avoid false negative matches (apparently, they are not good at it)

spwolf

Sony does not process the cards, they have local company usually doing it... So when something like this happens call your bank and see why did they deny the transaction.

Averon

I'm from the US, and I have this same problem. I cannot fund my wallet with my debit card through https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com, even though it worked fine before. But I can fund my wallet through my Vita, PS3, and PS4 just fine. I put in the exact same information on the website and through my PS devices, too, so it is not like I mistyped something.

My debit card would not work for years even after repeated troubleshooting with bank and Sony. Then one day I got a ps4, tried it for funzies and it just worked for no apparent reason. Huh.

hesido

My debit card would not work for years even after repeated troubleshooting with bank and Sony. Then one day I got a ps4, tried it for funzies and it just worked for no apparent reason. Huh.

I'm from the US, and I have this same problem. I cannot fund my wallet with my debit card through https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com, even though it worked fine before. But I can fund my wallet through my Vita, PS3, and PS4 just fine. I put in the exact same information on the website and through my PS devices, too, so it is not like I mistyped something.

The randomness is really killing me.

Sony does not process the cards, they have local company usually doing it... So when something like this happens call your bank and see why did they deny the transaction.

I just called them, they see the 3 successful test transactions made after updating card address with different combinations, and one bad transaction where I mis-typed the 3 digit safety code. They allowed the transactions without problems, but they don't see the denied 10 lira transaction at all, they said they didn't even receive the fund adding request, meaning Sony is probably scratching its backside and deciding to not go on with the process because of unknown reasons.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My debit card stopped working all of a sudden with them years ago. I've checked many times to see what could possibly be wrong on the info and there isn't anything. Thankfully I can use Paypal now.

Ranger X

The randomness is really killing me.

I just called them, they see the 3 successful test transactions made after updating card address with different combinations, and one bad transaction where I mis-typed the 3 digit safety code. They allowed the transactions without problems, but they don't see the denied 10 lira transaction at all, they said they didn't even receive the fund adding request, meaning Sony is probably scratching its backside and deciding to not go on with the process because of unknown reasons.

And when you call Sony what do they say?

Silvard

This has happened to me a couple of times after changing my debit card information. Basically they kind of put a lock on that payment method for a couple of days(in my experience), even if you fix the address right away.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Multiple, quick transactions to the same place is well known as a massive red-flag for the fraud detection dept. of most payment processors.

Your card probably got a lock on it.

Isocr4cy

Yep, I recently replaced my primary credit card (only the card number changed, everything else remained the same), and when trying to switch over payment details on the SEN site, I get the invalid card error no matter what I do. Card works with literally every other thing I've ever used it for so something on Sony's back end is screwed up.

Like others, I didn't feel like calling support to deal with it so I'm just sticking with PayPal for now.

Yep, I recently replaced my primary credit card (only the card number changed, everything else remained the same), and when trying to switch over payment details on the SEN site, I get the invalid card error no matter what I do. Card works with literally every other thing I've ever used it for so something on Sony's back end is screwed up.

Like others, I didn't feel like calling support to deal with it so I'm just sticking with PayPal for now.

This has been a issue for a long long time. There are threads all over the Sony forums about it, they just haven't done anything to fix it. All Sony cs will do is tell you to contact the bank and make sure the address is an exact match.

hesido

And when you call Sony what do they say?

They don't seem to have proper phone support in Turkey. One of the few times I could reached them for other problems, they knew less than I did. I'll try later but I'm not hopeful that they would be able to solve that automated process getting

Multiple, quick transactions to the same place is well known as a massive red-flag for the fraud detection dept. of most payment processors.

Your card probably got a lock on it.

My bank doesn't notify me of any rejected charges and the test charges within minutes of eachoter are succesful (but are refunded at surprisingly rapid pace)..

So you say it could be an issue at the "Visa" level? But they do allow the test transactions, and my bank doesn't see any rejected transaction in their logs for 10usd. If my card got a lock on it, why allow the test transaction? Plus this happens when you don't do any suspicious thing, judging by the multiple users having similar problems at random times.

This has been a issue for a long long time. There are threads all over the Sony forums about it, they just haven't done anything to fix it. All Sony cs will do is tell you to contact the bank and make sure the address is an exact match.

Even 1-2% of business income should be important amount of money at the levels PSN is operating. I wonder how much business Sony is losing with this. Sure there are alternatives in many countries which are much safer than lending them your card info, and I'm now regretting moving to Turkish PSN due to Vita's single user policy.)

Also, they are probably after the recurring payment thing and have your card info stored on them, but if they went with 3d secure payment method which sends you sms code at the time of transaction, there would be no such problems because 3d secure transactions are instantly accepted by the payment processors because they come with proof at time of transaction.

They are really wrong to not provide a 3d secure option, not only would this save them from the burden of holding people's CC info at least for people that don't want that info stored on Sony, they'd also receive funds without the possibility of fraud claims as 3d secure doesn't even let 3rd parties do charges without user's will. If they are really after the recurring payment thing, they could have other incentives to have your CC stored on their servers.

I have a nice deal with my debit card company that allows me to get back 50% of money.

[*]Profit (literally, after the month ends, I receive 25liras back)
[/LIST]

I don't think it's "literally" profit if you're only getting back 50% of what you put in.

Back on topic: You might need to call your bank or credit card company to allow it.
It probably looks fishy to someone.

this happens to me with PLAYSTATION CREDIT CARD

it wasn't working one time
then site upgrade
started working
site upgrade again
stopped working

I mean its freaking 2015 and their website is like run circa 90s

hesido

I don't think it's "literally" profit if you're only getting back 50% of what you put in.

Back on topic: You might need to call your bank or credit card company to allow it.
It probably looks fishy to someone.

"Literal" is pushing it but I call it "profit" because that's the money I would spend on PSN anyway, whether for PSN plus membership or for games. It's like that money pops into existence for me, if you don't consider everything is actually 50% off.

I called my bank and they are not receiving the fund requests at all.

hesido

Update:
I still cannot pay Sony money through PC, but at least things seem to work OK on the PS4.

So Sony probably trusts a PS4 more than a random PC, I guess.

Top Bottom