• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: We want to regain customers' trust, learned a lot from Atlus; TGS announcement

“As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus,” continues Satomi. “If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there’s a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games.”

Next, Famitsu asks what are they’re looking to focus on more when it comes to home console games.

“I’ve been talking to the employees about how we should start putting serious consideration into quality from this point on,” responds Satomi. “Especially in North America and Europe, where it’s always been more of a focus on schedules, I believe that if we can’t maintain quality, it would be better to not release anything at all.” Satomi continues, “We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there’ve been some titles that have partially betrayed that [trust] in the past 10 years.”
“Sega in the ‘90s was known for its ‘brand, but after that, we’ve lost trust, and we were left with nothing but ‘reputation. For this reason, we’d like to win back the customers’ trust, and become a ‘brand,’ once again.”
Famitsu asks if it’s safe to expect a high quality title to be released sometime in the second half of this year.

“Since we’re seriously considering quality, I can’t make that promise for the time being, but I believe we will announce something for home console at Tokyo Game Show,” says Satomi.
Via Siliconera

I love how all these companies that seemingly left to mobile are crawling back to console space once they realise pushing everything into mobile is a terrible idea in the long run.

Keep it up japan!

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Sega its too late. We've been asking you for Shenmue for 14 years and you didn't listen.

So they HAVEN'T been focusing on quality for the last ten years?

But this is really nice to hear. This sounds like Sega three years from now might be trying to surprise us.

Blueblur1

Is this something we can take seriously? I'm not familiar with current day Sega (and honestly very little of old Sega) so I have no idea what Satomi's history is.

If you have to have an internal debate that is literally over whether or not you should make quality products you are probably already fucked.

Shinjica

As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus,” continues Satomi. “If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there’s a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games

You dont say

Mr-Joker

Banned
They can start by canning the Sonic Boom games, all that hard work in finally fixing the Sonic series ruined by one broken game and one subpar game.

hodgy100

stop making sub par sonic game and abusing its brand.

Make shenmue 1&2 HD

Donate a sizeable amount to shenmue 3.

They can start by canning the Sonic Boom games, all that hard work in finally fixing the Sonic series ruined by one broken game and one subpar game.

such a fucking step backwards

Usobuko

Banned
When Shenmue ends up as the most successful video game KS, it would be foolish to not release the I & II as HD remasters.

entremet

You mean like localizing games for once?

Sega's gotta be one of the most idiotically run video games ever. A company that just shits on its fans left and right, instead of building momentum with their franchises.

Usobuko

Banned
Thanks SEGA for localizing Yakuza Zero!

"He goes on to say that he also feels good about the Asian market, where the Chinese version of Yakuza Zero had sold much better than expected."

The trend will continue after Shinning Resonance!

SerTapTap

Well that's impressive (sounding). If them acquiring Atlus means fixing Sega instead of ruining Atlus that's pretty much the best possible situation.

Surprised we don't have Project Diva F(2nd) on PS4 by now though. With that series it seemed like Sega was realizing Westerners, like, buy things.

"He goes on to say that he also feels good about the Asian market, where the Chinese version of Yakuza Zero had sold much better than expected."

The trend will continue after Shinning Resonance!

This basically means we will get more Chinese version games which is fine by me , sorry most of GAF :p

Krakn3Dfx

Dreamcast II announce at Gamescom.
8e6ece1a2d2300af7546fe2222a095c5.jpg

BadWolf

It's TGS so a console centered game is probably a better bet than Virtua Fighter.

Maybe that Sega PS4 exclusive Verendus mentioned?

Usobuko

Banned
This basically means we will get more Chinese version games which is fine by me , sorry most of GAF :p

The only I dislike about that is the price, they rarely drop and they are almost the same with import games, just slightly cheaper sometimes.

Top Bottom