• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: We want to regain customers' trust, learned a lot from Atlus; TGS announcement

Pyrrhus

Oh yeah? Well prove it, Sega. You can start by releasing that Shenmue collection the kids in the kickstarter thread are losing their minds for, and then follow it up with that long rumored HD remaster of Skies of Arcadia everybody thinks you've been sitting on. Then you can start releasing Yakuza games again in Atlus fashion with small print runs and nice packaging. You do things like that and release more than just Sonic, Total War, and Football Manager and maybe you'll be more than a pathetic reminder of a better era.

gelf

That's the most positive statement I've heard from Sega in a long time. I'll remain sceptical but thank you Atlus if something good comes from this.

RobRSG

Skies of Arcadia 2, Shenmue HD Collection, Virtua Fighter 6, Virtua On 3, Shin Megami Tensei V, Panzer Dragoon Saga Zwei, Grandia 4 and Jet Set Radio Unleashed confirmed for Sega ProjectS (working title for new console).

/jk

RyoonZ

Banned
"He goes on to say that he also feels good about the Asian market, where the Chinese version of Yakuza Zero had sold much better than expected."

The trend will continue after Shinning Resonance!

Asian version of Yakuza Zero is probably close or more than entire Yakuza series sales in America lol

jay

Wait, so people want good games?

Edit: Looking this guy up and seeing he is the founder of Sammy makes me angry.

Doesn't Atlus release games which are considered niche by Western AAA standards? I mean, I don't mind if Sega heads that way, but still, I am confused.

They can start by canning the Sonic Boom games, all that hard work in finally fixing the Sonic series ruined by one broken game and one subpar game.

To be fair, a gradual improvement over two or three games should not be what it takes to save a series. Even if fans liked Colors, Generations, and Lost World, not a single one of those games turned the series (or the image of the series) around in a powerful way.

It should not take three games worth of hard work to fix your series. It should take one.

Which I feel is possible and has always been possible.

Mononoke

Banned
As someone that grew up loving Sega, and now Atlus is my favorite company, this sounds great. Let's see if it actually translates into real action.

It's always strange to me when companies are surprised that people love high quality games. I guess since this is an issue of a Japanese company not knowing if Japanese titles will sell well over in the West, it's probably more complicated then I'm taking it. But yeah, I think companies that focus on the long term goal and build customer loyalty, they have a possibility of seeing continued success over a long period of time.

I guess it also comes down to budgets, and sales expectations. Atlus has IMO done a really good job with that regard.

Nvzman

To be fair, a gradual improvement over two or three games should not be what it takes to save a series. Even if fans liked Colors, Generations, and Lost World, not a single one of those games turned the series (or the image of the series) around in a powerful way.

It should not take three games worth of hard work to fix your series. It should take one.

Which I feel is possible and has always been possible.
It's not possible with how ignorant people are with Sonic.

Sega is dead to me until they release this for the west
Phantasy_Star_Online_2_logo.png

Thinking about it, Japan had more exchange with europe through portugese, dutch and english trade routes in Edo period than today with their video game companies.

I sense a raiding of Sega's back catalogue for HD remakes ala Capcom.

Not that I'm complaining though.

Also give me a shadow mode Virtua Fighter 6 like 4 Evo and all is forgiven
for now

Raven77

I honestly can't remember the last Sega game I purchased. It's been possibly over a decade. This is a real shame since I used to love them back in the Genesis / Dreamcast days. Hopefully they announce something I can get excited about this year.

7th Dragon games incoming? At the very least the new 3DS one, but a digital release of the 2020 games on PSN would be nice.

Dryk

Well that's impressive (sounding). If them acquiring Atlus means fixing Sega instead of ruining Atlus that's pretty much the best possible situation.
It seems too good to be true. What cruel fate will the monkey's paw give us in return.

artsi

I just want to bring out my small voice to ask for Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4 / XBO / PC.

Mononoke

Banned
I honestly can't remember the last Sega game I purchased. It's been possibly over a decade. This is a real shame since I used to love them back in the Genesis / Dreamcast days. Hopefully they announce something I can get excited about this year.

Does Sega not have like a classics collection on Vita? I just did a quick search and saw Jet Set Radio. But it has a kind of low rating on PSN. Is it a terrible port?

Kind of wishing I could play some Sega games on my vita now :/

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I also haven't played a Sega game in forever.

By "learned a lot" do they mean they'll just add the Atlus tax?

Atlus tax is a thing, because people are willing to pay a lot for their titles. The company has a loyal fan base that immensely loves the games they release. There is an expectation of quality. If Atlus made poor games, I don't think that extra Tax would fly. Even the most hardcore fans would drop off over time.

So if Sega's only takeaway is to make games more expensive and not first focusing on putting out quality games consistently that build up a loyal fan base, then they will again bomb hard.

Although I don't actually like the Atlus tax and I've heard horror stories from EU people. But I love Atlus games, and am willing to pay more than I am for their games, then other companies -- because their games are consistently amazing. I devour their limited edition stuff when I can.

I really hope they mean it (but I seriously doubt they do). They're not going to regain anyone's trust by only working on mobile games, or whatever nonsense they went on about last year.

Aki-at

He rarely seems to talk about SEGA but its encouraging none the less that they've identified certain areas where they have been lacking. Perhaps the long delay in the next Sonic game is due to quality control? Probably a bit optimistic. Though I think it's counter productive with them announcing both Sonic Boom and Mario & Sonic in recent months, both not known for their critical appreciation, so either he's talking about SEGA Japan's output or their core titles?

Really happy to hear Yakuza Zero has beaten expectations in China (Though I wonder how big that expectation was? 100k? 10k? 1k?) hopefully it'll help to keep the greatest series ever made afloat a little longer. Interesting to see if this might encourage Japanese developers to subsidies the lost Japanese sales for the increased presence in Asia. Glad they're learning lessons from the developers they purchase too, hopefully Atlus can teach them how to market Japanese games :p

(Please SEGA make a proper budgeted retail release of Chain Chronicle, PLZ!)

I love how all these companies that seemingly left to mobile are crawling back to console space once they realise pushing everything into mobile is a terrible idea in the long run.

Keep it up japan!

I don't know, I don't think they ever fully intended to leave console, but SEGA wasn't in a position to continue the bomba parade of Vanquish, Binary Domain and so on. I think their purchase of Relic, Atlus etc during the harsh years, they were just unsure about how best to move forward outside of core franchises.

They'll continue making mobile games though, especially when they have such a huge success ratio. The good thing is though they're diversifying themselves nicely.

Same song and dance we see every time.

Sega is doubling down on quality!

Sega is releasing a Sonic game that has the quality of the originals!

Sega is removing low-scoring games from retail shelves and digital stores in an initiative to boost quality!

There may be a blip of fun here and there, but overall it's never going to happen, Sega lost their magic and my dollars.

anderedna

Yes, is this a sign of VC HD Collection incoming? Or just port VC to PS4 and slap some trophies. I bought the steam version so that PS4 version can happen. I'll be getting that day 1.

entremet

Same song and dance we see every time.

Sega is doubling down on quality!

Sega is releasing a Sonic game that has the quality of the originals!

Sega is removing low-scoring games from retail shelves and digital stores in an initiative to boost quality!

There may be a blip of fun here and there, but overall it's never going to happen, Sega lost their magic and my dollars.

Yep. They dragged their feet too long with their Western fans.

BadWolf

Yes, is this a sign of VC HD Collection incoming? Or just port VC to PS4 and slap some trophies. I bought the steam version so that PS4 version can happen. I'll be getting that day 1.

Doubt they would be trying to make such a big deal out of ports.

Top Bottom