• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: We want to regain customers' trust, learned a lot from Atlus; TGS announcement

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that because Sega has a history of bad games, and built up that reputation? I don't deny that people can be overly harsh and irrational to Sonic given its a thing. But don't you think Sega did that to themselves?

I guess I'm not a huge sonic expert. So if you say the majority of Sonic games are actually good, then olay. TIL

Sonic absolutely has a problem with consistency, but it's not like Sonic has ever had a period where it where it was producing nothing but trash. Even in the Heroes/Shadow/06 era, you had the Advance and Rush games, which were well-regarded and cool in their own right.

How can Sonic overcome the meme? Is it possible?

The original Sonic games benefitted from the popularity and unwavering coolness of the hero. To this day he is of course still an icon, but that coolness is long gone. Sonic sort of has the reputation of a washed up child star, doing lousy movies and guest appearances trying to stay relevant and pay the bills.

Honestly, I know nailing some really solid gameplay is the most important thing, but an ambitious story that redefines Sonic in a modern context might be helpful here.

Who exactly IS Sonic the Hedgehog these days? Because he's not who he was in the nineties. And just toning that bravado down leaves a blue mascot with not enough personality to sustain the character.

I feel like Sonic would need to take a generation off and come back with a very strong entry to defeat the meme. That's something that Sega will never do, though.

I'm curious as to what they'll come up with. Those are very humble things to say, and if you're going to learn from someone, Atlus isn't a bad choice.

Releasing some old games people have been asking for would build up good will, but I imagine they mean something new that'll appeal to a wide range of people.

I'd love more Valkyria Chronicles, more than most even, I adore the series; but I doubt it's that.

Mandelbo

Despite having never played PSO, nor anything in the Phantasy Star series, I'd be very interested in seeing them finally release PSO2 in the west if only to see what all the fuss is about.

Mononoke

Banned
Sonic absolutely has a problem with consistency, but it's not like Sonic has ever had a period where it where it was producing nothing but trash. Even in the Heroes/Shadow/06 era, you had the Advance and Rush games, which were well-regarded and cool in their own right.

I feel like Sonic would need to take a generation off and come back with a very strong entry to defeat the meme. That's something that Sega will never do, though.

Yeah that's fair enough. I guess the point you guys are making is that they could make several good Sonic games and people will still be overly harsh. That it would only take one bad game for it all to fall apart and for the series brand to take a major hit.

I don't even know how Sega escapes that. Normally I would think you just abandon the IP and focus on new IP, or other IP that doesn't have as damaged branding. But yeah. I guess they just need to focus on each game as they work on it. If they do release a 10/10 game, maybe reboot the franchise within that series and make a trilogy of games.

SerTapTap

Only consistent quality could stop the meme and Sega seems entirely disinterested in doing that, they would rather milk his qualities as a mascot. Justified or not every Sonic Boom really does erase every other recent Sonic game from everyone's memory.

I honestly can't overly blame people for the hate, Sega clearly does not respect the brand at all and it makes the good modern games look more like accidents. It's like the earnestly believe the "it's for kids and kids don't care about quality" line I hear dragged out every once in a while.

gelf

How is it only now some companies are learning that "releasing good games often leads to good sales"? Like huh?

Because good game doesn't always automatically translate into good sales unfortunately. Sega's history in particular is littered with fantastic games that bombed while crappy rushed Sonic game easily outsold them.

Logash

I always thought they had something special with Valkiria Chronicles battle system. They should make the series like tales and just put a chronicles at the end. They can put it in a medevil war setting and even a futuristic setting and just keep the themes. Can't be too hard to make up ancient civilizations

I'm thinking the exact opposite. If Sega want people to think Sonic is 'cool', they need to go back to what made him cool in the classic games and dial back on story and dialogue as well as going back to his simplistic design and muting him. The way to make his 'coolness' relatable to everyone is to portray it through his design and let people interpret his personality through his actions. The moment he opens his mouth to say a dated catchphrase or corny joke, I feel like this is lost. He has a timeless iconic design so it's all about using that.

I get this angle. Honestly I think Sega should go the DKCR route and make an honest effort at a great 2.5D Sonic game with all the hallmarks of 1-3. Make it available on everything and just go all out on that smaller, but possibly more successful endeavor.

It's 3D Sonic who started talking and falling through floors. It's 3D Sonic that always struggled for greatness. I don't think Sonic 4 was as strong of an effort as it should have been.

But when it comes to 3D Sonic, I don't know if that formula will work. 3D Sonic might really thrive on a "gotta get back in the game" story. Play the meta a little. There is a resurgence of animal kidnappings and Knuckles tells Sonic they have to get out there. But Sonic is hesitant. Maybe this is a job for somebody else. Maybe be funny, have him in a beret and a striped turtle neck painting a classic portrait of himself. The message is clear, Sonic still sees himself as one of the greats, but hasn't acted like it for years.

Through some coercion he agrees to help. And in between successful levels Sonic is reinforced by his friends. Lose the beret. Lose the turtle neck. Sonic isn't some joke, Sonic is a hero. Don't you remember, Sonic?

And in a humbling, but also exciting and cool classic Sonic adventure, Sonic reforms his identity with a dose of humility too. Because admitting when you were wrong is cool now. And no more corny jokes, actions speak louder than words, and through the gameplay and his campaign Sonic re-establishes himself as a cool hero in a great game.

End game, he hangs up the retro painting, somebody bursts through the door with another crisis. And this time, Sonic is up for it. Let's do this. Freeze frame.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Awakening

jay

How is it only now some companies are learning that "releasing good games often leads to good sales"? Like huh?

This guy is the founder of Sammy. He simultaneously saved and killed Sega by buying them and dismantling their internal teams, which led to hemorrhaging of talent, so it is not surprising.

Griss

Always wondered why so many of Sega's games were so bad, especially Sonic.

Hearing that the release schedules took precedence over quality controls is a pretty definitive answer to that question, so that's nice.

Liamario

Banned
I don't know what they could announce to be perfectly announce. Do people really think ports and HD remasters are going to cut the mustard. They need new games of very high quality. Consistently high quality to undo the damage.

Can they just level with us what the deal is with the Shenmue HD Collection already? If it's impossible to release due to legal issues then just release an official statement and tell us so. Otherwise, get your thumbs out of your asses and make it happen Sega, now's the time to do it!

RPGCrazied

Can they just level with us what the deal is with the Shenmue HD Collection already? If it's impossible to release due to legal issues then just release an official statement and tell us so. Otherwise, get your thumbs out of your asses and make it happen Sega, now's the time to do it!

Yeah, I'd focus on that. Interest from many people is at an all time high from Shenmue 3 coming in the future. If they don't want to capitalize on this moment with the first 2, I'm just at a lose of words.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Release an HD remaster of Skies of Arcadia for PS4/XB1 and then get to work on a sequel and we'll call it good, Sega.

Also, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations were really good. More of those.

As a European, "learning from Atlus" has to be in the top 10 worst things a publisher can do.

6 months to 2 year delays for every title! And they're all region locked! Woo!

Instead of saying "we've changed," how about actually proving it? I fail to see how anyone should have much faith in them.

Panzer Dragoon Trilogy + Saga
Daytona 1 and 2
Scud Race
Sega Rally Series
Virtua Fighter Collection
Virtua Cop 1 and 2
Shenmue 1 and 2 HD

All HD Re-Masters. In my Veins. Now!

Shogun413

I wonder if this statement applies to CA and the Total War series. The last few entries have been bug fests and dlc hell. SEGA needs to back up these words for Total War Warhammer.

Kaizu

To be honest, Sega actually tried their darn hardest last gen and published a tons of unique high quality new IP like Valkyria Chronicles, Binary Domain, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Resonance of Fate, Anarchy Reigns and etc but most of them didn't catch on while Chain Chronicle make ungodly money.

They also did a lot in bringing back their old franchises with remasters like Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, Nights, JSR and etc and most of them didn't catch on yet again.

This is why I am really not that salty when Sega say that they want to focus on mobile because they actually tried. Glad they are refocusing but then again, they always have been making consistent and quality products that didn't sell so saying that by putting quality products out there and sales will naturally come is rather inaccurate.

Anyway, Resonance of Fate 2 please!

pizzacat

Banned
Learning a lot from ATLUS isn't good. They're going to tax their games and not show any of them off? Atlus at least has the chops to do this.

In Sept, it will have been three years since they announced a localized PSO2.
It'd be a nice gesture if they followed through with it, but that iron cooled off long ago.

FluxWaveZ

Learning a lot from ATLUS isn't good. They're going to tax their games and not show any of them off? Atlus at least has the chops to do this.

Yep, that's exactly what they mean when they say they learned from Atlus. Forget the context of this interview.

Pila

Totally willing to buy a new Sonic from the Sonic Team on consoles/PC/handhelds after the good Lost World game. Plz deliver, still a fan. XOXOXO

Trojan X

Banned
Oh yeah? Well prove it, Sega. You can start by releasing that Shenmue collection the kids in the kickstarter thread are losing their minds for, and then follow it up with that long rumored HD remaster of Skies of Arcadia everybody thinks you've been sitting on. Then you can start releasing Yakuza games again in Atlus fashion with small print runs and nice packaging. You do things like that and release more than just Sonic, Total War, and Football Manager and maybe you'll be more than a pathetic reminder of a better era.

lol. You are so dark but speaks the truth. I don't need to add anything other than Shenmue being an obviously slap in the face that completely broken current SEGA's way of thinking. I.e. there was too much "I TOLD YOU SO!!!".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They funded Alien Isolation.

They got my trust back and then some.

Does SEGA even have any talent left to make a quality title?

This...

The Sega of nowadays is a completely different entity compared to the Sega of 2000.
There is almost nothing left of that what has been.

A game like "Rez" or even "Segagaga" is so far away from everything they are doing these days.

I really don't have the slightest idea of how they would be able to rejuvenate their brand.

It seems the days of the "Sega Arcade Game" are over, and all they ever release has "quick money grab" written all over it.

There is simply no vision or talent left in whatever modern Sega comprises of.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This...

The Sega of nowadays is a completely different entity compared to the Sega of 2000.
There is almost nothing left of that what has been.

A game like "Rez" or even "Segagaga" is so far away from everything they are doing these days.

I really don't have the slightest idea of how they would be able to rejuvenate their brand.

It seems the days of the "Sega Arcade Game" are over, and all they ever release has "quick money grab" written all over it.

There is simply no vision or talent left in whatever modern Sega comprises of.
you know they just released an Initial D game in arcades?

Megatron

I just wonder how embarrassing Shenmue 3 is for them. Fans begged for this for years,and now that it's coming, the kickstarter is going to set all time records. And that's just the people ok with paying for the game three years in advance. Think of how many more people will buy it when it's actually out? I wonder what lessons Sega learned from this?

Unicorn

Build a list of games the fans want like Sony. Then, get competent teams to deliver.

Star with Sega All Stars Powerstone. Power Stone with all of your Sega IP. Vectorman fighting Space Harrier fighting old man pipe smoking Super Hang-on driver fighting NiGHTS...

liquidtmd

Banned
Generations 2
Alien Isolation 2
Virtua Fighter 6
Sonic Taxman Collection HD on PS4 PSN
HD Shenmue 1&2
Kid Chameleon 2
Model 2 HD Racing Collection
Virtua Cop 1-3 HD Collection

Are just a few of the games we won't get, stay tuned to find out more

Top Bottom