• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest Builders Information, Releasing This Winter

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Try to stay on target.

The story and more is detailed at the link: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-builders-details-protagonist-story-gameplay

Gematsu said:
Gameplay

In the beginning, the world is empty. Players are tasked with creating items, towns, and castles, which they can do by collecting materials from all around the world. There are also monster battles.
Yuji Horii Comment

“Dragon Quest Builders is a completely new block-making RPG where players must recapture and restore the land of Alefgard after it’s destroyed by the Dragonlord. The vast world of Alefgard is expressed through blocks, which players can freely create, destroy, and remodel as if they’re in a sandbox or playing with building blocks. Please try to create an innovative Alefgard!”
Characters

Protagonist – A hero (boy or girl) that possesses the special ability to create items from all things. Designed by Akira Toriyama.
Dragonlord – An evil sovereign who has been ruling the world for the long years since the humans lost their hero.

i could see this beeing Square Enix Strategy to make DQ more popular in the west.

Especially with the younger generation

So basically you start out in Minecraft then Mine & Craft your own custom Dragon Quest world on procedurally generated terrain? Am I right in that?

Kyoufu

I couldn't get into Musou games yet I enjoyed Heroes, so maybe this will be fun too despite not being able to get into Minecraft.

duckroll

I hope people move into the buildings you create and you can interact with them

Populating towns and cities after building them seems to be part of the game, so I'm sure that'll be the case. This is still a RPG, so it'll be far more guided than the typical sandbox building game I think. The idea is that the world has been ruined by the Dragonlord, and you're rebuilding the DQ1 world. Building houses, shops, castles, etc and getting them populated, stocked, equipped, and defended will probably be the narrative drive in the game.

The story is kind of awesome. It's like Zelda timeline split level of crazy.

In the distant past there was a terrible battle between men and monsters. There was a hero, who was a central figure on the human side, who fell into the Dragonlord’s trap and was never heard from again. Having lost their mainstay, the humans were driven from the land in which they lived in this dark world, and their numbers decreased by the day. But time flows forward and our story begins when a young person appears in this ruined world ruled by the Dragonlord.

As someone who didnt played a single second of Minecraft, my noob self is asking for sample designs / templates to help spark creativity.

Having these might be counter-intuitive to some, but to new users it could be a great way to explore the world while learning it. Having much options at your disposal can sometimes overwhelm me.

Raw64life

Nice to see a Dragon Quest game announced and be able to think to myself "I'm confident this will be released in the west" for a change. No interest in Minecraft type stuff but I'll buy just about anything with Dragon Quest in the title at this point.

I hope you can set music from previous DQ games. Can we also get pet Slimes?
I can't imagine Unknown World or Endless World wouldn't play during your exploration.

Also, we're totally getting the level up jingle.

The story is kind of awesome. It's like Zelda timeline split level of crazy.
No idea what you're talking about, I'd never give the wrong answer.

Yeah, that's awesome.

Ferr986

I hope there's underground caverns and stuff like Minecraft to explore. Best memories of Minecraft is going down to explore a huge underground cavern filled with mobs to gather resources.

And nighttime dangers. Yes, even more of a ripoff of Minecraft is what I want lol

duckroll

As someone who didnt played a single second of Minecraft, my noob self is asking for sample designs / templates to help spark creativity.

Having these might be counter-intuitive to some, but to new users it could be a great way to explore the world while learning it. Having much options at your disposal can sometimes overwhelm me.

The biggest barrier of entry for games like Minecraft and Terraria is that at the beginning you are dumped into a world and you can mine and build anything as long as you have the materials, but players unfamiliar with the concept don't know where to start. DQ is a huge mainstream brand, so they will likely want to mitigate this as much as possible.

The way I envision this game panning out is that at the beginning there will be very simple and specific quests which serve as tutorials to how the game works. So your first quest might be to gather specific materials and build a house for yourself. They will tell you what you need and there will be a recommended spot where you can build the house for example. From there the next thing might be to build a shop, and then to go into a dungeon to recover some items the shopkeeper would need to run the shop. After building a range of shops, you might need to build a Town Hall, and get a mayor into the town. From there maybe you'll need to build walls to protect the town from monsters as it grows.

That's just a guess, but I think it is reasonable to expect stuff like that considering the sort of brand DQ is, and the fact that this is still being sold as a RPG rather than just a sandbox game.

18-Volt

Now, how about a worldwide release? I know, it's not something Square ever do, but we're talking about first serious Minecraft competitor here. Christmas release worldwide would be perfect.

Vandole

Interesting. I liked Minecraft for about 25 hours, but eventually the lack of any story made me move on. I can only dig and build (and get sniped by skeleton archers in the dark) for so long without motivation from a story. This could be a nice way to balance it out.

Though I also want to say FU to S-E. I had pretty much decided to forgo a PS4 and get a gaming PC. Now SE is finally making DQ games again, and they all seem to be Sony exclusive... Bastards.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Never played Dragon Quest before DQH came out. Now I like the look of this game as well.

Someone tell me what other DQ games I should look at?

The aesthetics of Minecraft put me off from pouring any serious amount of hours into it. Found the world of Minecraft a bit bland / flavorless.
The world in this game feels a lot more interesting to me. Could be the game to finally entice me to indulge in my creative side.

Jo-El

I hope this has multiplayer so I can play with my gf. She loves Minecraft and I love Dragon Quest and Minecraft.

Top Bottom