• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest Builders Information, Releasing This Winter

Stop, pls. It hurts. Now we need a new Idolmaster and may as well n¿say good bye to Berserk as well. Thanks God Yukimura isn't into videogames I wouldn't know what I would do without Vinland Saga.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/the-idolmaster-ps4-news-coming-this-year

What’s going on with the console games?

“The One For All staff has been developing the latest game for PlayStation 4, so right now we’re looking into technology for the next-generation of Idolmaster. Knowing that, our first task at hand is to work on making something that brings together elements that people will find charming into one refined package. This year is the series’ 10th anniversary, so somehow or another we’ll do our best to put out information.”

TGS 2015. IM@S3 Announcement. RIP Berserk.

DQ1 - Super basic RPG, fun to see where console RPG's truly got popularized.
DQ2 - Ups your party from 1 to 3, more complex combat and overworld.
DQ3 - More story-centric, you create 3 out of 4 members of your party from scratch from a rudimentary job system.
DQ4 - Very story centric, split into chapters, more linear. No job system.
DQ5 - Story centric but you make pivotal choices, generally one of the favorites of the series for most fans. Introduced monster capturing.
DQ6 - Darker and broodier, also a huge graphical upgrade ala FF5->FF6. Job system returns. It's basically the FFIX of the series, everyone knows it's the best but no one's willing to admit it.
DQ7 - Like DQ6 but the pacing is a little slower. Will take you forever to beat. Released super late into the Playstation's life cycle. Greatly expanded job system.
DQ8 - Voice acted, combat made a little easier, took advantage of the PS2's capabilities. Gorgeous, fun, a great introduction to the series. No job system.
DQ9 - Fully player-generated party, personally I hated it for this reason but apparently people loved this one in spite of it. Lots of goofiness. Only on the DS.
DQ10 - Online, japan only.

Dragon Quest Monsters series - Better than Pokémon.

Go, be free! And play them all!

This is pretty much my take. And I'm with you, DQ6 has been my favorite since the first time I played the only partially-translated ROM back in late high school. There's just something about the look and feel of the game that puts it up with ToP, FF6, SO1, and a few other SNES titles for me in a way that DQ5 just never did.

126921-Brazil-crying-stop-stop-were-a-xEAu.gif

crinale

I'm surprised no other big company thought to do it sooner.

Minecraft has been around in Japan for a while, but it is quite it got popular (the Vita version was featured in Monthly Corocoro and it got popular).
Then SE jumped in to capitalize the popularity of the genre. It's Dragon Quest Monsters all over again (and smart move IMHO).

Minecraft has been around in Japan for a while, but it is quite it got popular (the Vita version was featured in Monthly Corocoro and it got popular).
Then SE jumped in to capitalize the popularity of the genre. It's Dragon Quest Monsters all over again (and smart move IMHO).

DQ introduced monster breeding well before Pokémon.

gblues

Banned
Jump said:
There was a hero, who was a central figure on the human side, who fell into the Dragonlord’s trap and was never heard from again.

So this is sort of an alternate-timeline thing that follows the "bad ending" of DQ1.

Sadly this will probably end up on SE's growing list of "DQ things we can't be bothered to localize" :(

crinale

So this is sort of an alternate-timeline thing that follows the "bad ending" of DQ1.

Sadly this will probably end up on SE's growing list of "DQ things we can't be bothered to localize" :(

Well Verendus pretty much said it's coming 100% so you don't have to worry about it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

SE seems to have more confidence in localizing console titles over handheld as of late. Not really worried.

So weird to see a Japanese company blatantly imitating a Western game, for a title that's primarily aimed at the domestic market.

Can't say it's a bad idea, though.

Rocky

Banned
Originally Posted by Gematsu

Gameplay

In the beginning, the world is empty. Players are tasked with creating items, towns, and castles, which they can do by collecting materials from all around the world. There are also monster battles.

Kinda sounds like the plot of DQ VII.

So weird to see a Japanese company blatantly imitating a Western game, for a title that's primarily aimed at the domestic market.

It's kind of a long tradition. Dragon Quest 1 was a Japanese game that blatantly imitated a Western game (Ultima or Wizardry) and was primarily aimed at the domestic market.

crinale

It's kind of a long tradition. Dragon Quest 1 was a Japanese game that blatantly imitated a Western game (Ultima or Wizardry) and was primarily aimed at the domestic market.

This. I think Horii openly said that too (back then no one in Japan knows role playing game..)

I hadn't thought of that, but you totally have a point.

Still, I haven't seen anything comparable in a while. Plenty of Western-inspired Japanese games over the past decade, of course, but they all seem largely or primarily aimed at Western markets.

Raw64life

I'm as pessimistic as it gets when it comes to DQ games being localized, but a Minecraft clone on Sony consoles is extremely likely to be brought to the west.

nightever

First Minecraft is not a typical western game and sold very well in Japan, and then SE is definitely aiming to expand the DQ series in the west.

Arkeband

Banned
SE seems to have more confidence in localizing console titles over handheld as of late. Not really worried.

Sony needs to expand the PS4 library, this is a great way to do it.

It beats the alternate-timeline ending where the Hero and Gwaelin argue until they pass out due to exhaustion and get eaten by Drackies.

but-thou-must.jpg

OmegaDL50

Originally Posted by Gematsu

Gameplay

In the beginning, the world is empty. Players are tasked with creating items, towns, and castles, which they can do by collecting materials from all around the world. There are also monster battles.

Kinda sounds like the plot of DQ VII.

Yes, Dragon Quest VII has you basically recreate the world beyond the little island you start from.

Still...I'm getting serious Dark Cloud or Soul Blazer / Terranigma vibes from this game.

Dark Cloud's premise is very similar, in the very beginning of the game the world is destroyed all of the towns folk, buildings, and structures are eliminated and sealed away.

You basically enter dungeons and obtain the blueprints or spiritual essence of the objects and you recreate the world piece by piece more or less.

Soul Blazer I believe was the very first game that did this sort of thing, also the spiritual sequel, Terranigma was similar somewhat as well.

Kudo

Loving how this looks, I hope there is some sort of multiplayer included though. Would be awesome to wander other players worlds with friend.

First Minecraft is not a typical western game and sold very well in Japan, and then SE is definitely aiming to expand the DQ series in the west.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, just that it's not something I would have expected to see until the rumors started.

crinale

It's one of few games actually features chibi-style protags (one being WoFF) for PS4. I know some people have issues with this but this style is really catering Japanese audience. I think it is important for PS4 to receive games with this type of art direction in addition to existing hardcore games.

yamo

Never got into minecraft due to the lack of narrative. But I would love to play a decent rpg in a minecraft universe.

I loved 3D dot game heroes by the way..

Jigorath

Banned
If the story mode is more in depth then

"Go build this!"

"Go craft that!"

"Go destroy this!"

then I'd be interested. Like I'm hoping they can actually make an RPG with Minecraft style gameplay rather than just a straight Minecraft clone.

OmegaDL50

If the story mode is more in depth then

"Go build this!"

"Go craft that!"

"Go destroy this!"

then I'd be interested. Like I'm hoping they can actually make an RPG with Minecraft style gameplay rather than just a straight Minecraft clone.

It's Dragon Quest

I hope it has enough options. The trees look like they are just obstacles and can't be build on.. I hope that the world isn't too flat and has a cave system, day/night cycle, biomes, ...

How do NPC's work? Do they spawn in towns you create? It would be nice if you could play in a world where towns have been auto-generated before your arrival.. I don't want to play god.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I hope the game is as brutal when it comes to regions or zones as the original was. Clear bump in enemy difficulty but also valuable material in these zones.

Arzehn

Hm, the release is farther than I expected. Are we really going to have 4 big Dragon Quest games in the same year (2016)? Sounds to me like DQ11 might be 2017.

Builders, Heroes, Remake (rumor), and XI

Saw the scans, game looks fun. Starting to think this is more like Dark Cloud than Minecraft. I think it's possible this is a singleplayer only game, which I'm completely fine with.

Top Bottom