• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix deserves more recognition (GIF HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop89

The movie was way ahead of its time and I even think its STILL ahead of our time. You just don't see anything else like it.

The action is fucking Grade A amazing with an interesting story to boot. Great score and decent cast. Its visual-audio style is just on another level.

Intro:
tumblr_m6gev7GJiU1qhhxd4o1_500.gif

fun_facts_about_the_matrix_with_cool_pics_from_the_movie_33.gif

Neo vs Morpheus
105760-Neo-Morpheus-kung-fu-fight-gif-2ZqN.gif

105759-Matrix-Neo-Kung-Fu-gif-Imgur-AoJg.gif

Lobby Scene
tumblr_maha8qgKm81qllovxo5_500.gif

tumblr_maha8qgKm81qllovxo7_500.gif

Helipad

tumblr_lugf3wwthQ1qg5e8zo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Helicopter/Morpheus rescue
id6UnIaysadsf.gif

cgi1.gif

post-50319-the-matrix-falling-shells-gif-oHzx.gif

edificiomatrix.gif

Neo vs Smith

YSKN5aX.gif

Agent-Smith-Neo-in-The-Matrix-the-matrix-22575387-560-240.gif

Even Reloaded deserves credit where its due
Chateau fight
Highway Chase
and of course
mbgifdoor.gif

Everytime I decide to watch Matrix 1 again I swear to myself not to watch 2 and 3 because I know they're shit, but then I end up watching 2 and 3 and feel horrible.
Matrix 1 is one of my favorite movies of all time though.

Alx

I think the visuals are great, the story is bad, and the action is ok but would have been better with real martial artists. It shows too much that the fighters are going through well rehearsed moves, without much "ooomf" to them.

Sapiens

I've never heard of Matrix before this thread. Thanks for introducing me to one of the most popular films of all time.

Mr. Sam

I've a number of friends who genuinely believe V For Vendetta is better than The Matrix; they've used the terms "fine" and "outdated" to describe The Matrix.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: fuck my friends.

I KNOW KUNG FU

Cormano

Everytime I decide to watch Matrix 1 again I swear to myself not to watch 2 and 3 because I know they're shit, but then I end up watching 2 and 3 and feel horrible.
Maxtrix 1 is one of my favorite movies of all time though.

I thought Reloaded was really good, nowhere as good as the first, but I loved the action, id defintely changed some things, but dont think it ruined the franchise or anything like that.

glaurung

Love the movies, but to this day I struggle to understand the story. Its confusing.
The story only got confusing with the second and third movies. The Wachowskis never intended to make the sequels, Matrix was supposed to be a one-off.

But then the studio execs drove a dump truck full of money up to their door.

The original movie revealed exactly enough digital messiah bits to keep things unpredictable. Following up on those ideas in the sequels was a mistake.

cacildo

More recognition?

I love the movie, but I think it has enough

From all the trends it set on movies for 15 years, to the memes, to the fact that every time I mention the movie people reply with "I love it. I remember the first time i watched it...."

I thought Reloaded was really good, nowhere as good as the first, but I loved the action, id defintely changed some things, but dont think it ruined the franchise or anything like that.

Yeah, 2 and 3 aren't bad action movies, in fact the action is really good.
But after Matrix 1 I expected way more. The story in 1 was so good and 2 and 3 failed to continue on that high note and also failed to give a satisfying conclusion. I didn't like the whole Zion thing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I still really like the first movie, but the sequels just endlessly puzzle me. How do you miss the appeal of your first film so thoroughly? There are a lot of examples of that in the sequels, but the biggest is the complete dropping of the notion that the Matrix is our world. The first film is very careful to construct the Matrix as though it could be our reality. That's the mindfuck hook of the original film, the notion that we could be in that virtual simulation and not know it. The deja vu bit specifically plays on that notion, possibly implying that outside of the Matrix, humans don't experience deja vu. Meaning that because we do, we're totally in the Matrix, dude!

The sequels completely jettison this, with the Matrix being presented as sort of a massive megacity with bits and pieces of all major cities. It's basically an open world sandbox game rather than a simulation of the planet Earth circa 1999, as implied in the first film. Then you drag in these weird ghosts and vampires and werewolf things that are purported to be the origin of human folklore but don't look anything like the things they're supposed to have inspired. The sequels take place in a reality removed from ours, and unrecognizable to our eyes. Whereas the first film pulls you in with the idea that we're all Neo, plugged into a pseudo-reality waiting for our minds to be freed, the sequels make it clear that no, we're not. We don't live in the Matrix, because the Matrix is just one big city with some outskirts that doesn't resemble the real world at all. To me the biggest mistake of the Matrix sequels is the jettisoning of that incredibly potent worldbuilding hook, for no discernable reason whatsoever.

Bishop89

More recognition?

I love the movie, but I think it has enough

From all the trends it set on movies for 15 years, to the memes, to the fact that every time I mention the movie people reply with "I love it. I remember the first time i watched it...."

more recognition from viewers, not the industry.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Also yeah, one of the most visually influential films of all time probably doesn't need "more recognition."

I still really like the first movie, but the sequels just endlessly puzzle me. How do you miss the appeal of your first film so thoroughly? There are a lot of examples of that in the sequels, but the biggest is the complete dropping of the notion that the Matrix is our world. The first film is very careful to construct the Matrix as though it could be our reality. That's the mindfuck hook of the original film, the notion that we could be in that virtual simulation and not know it. The deja vu bit specifically plays on that notion, possibly implying that outside of the Matrix, humans don't experience deja vu. Meaning that because we do, we're totally in the Matrix, dude!

The sequels completely jettison this, with the Matrix being presented as sort of a massive megacity with bits and pieces of all major cities. It's basically an open world sandbox game rather than a simulation of the planet Earth circa 1999, as implied in the first film. Then you drag in these weird ghosts and vampires and werewolf things that are purported to be the origin of human folklore but don't look anything like the things they're supposed to have inspired. The sequels take place in a reality removed from ours, and unrecognizable to our eyes. Whereas the first film pulls you in with the idea that we're all Neo, plugged into a pseudo-reality waiting for our minds to be freed, the sequels make it clear that no, we're not. We don't live in the Matrix, because the Matrix is just one big city with some outskirts that doesn't resemble the real world at all. To me the biggest mistake of the Matrix sequels is the jettisoning of that incredibly potent worldbuilding hook, for no discernable reason whatsoever.

Thank god I don't remember 2&3 much because I do not recall any of this. Maybe it's mostly explored in 3? don't think I ever actually saw all of that.

DOWN

Banned
The first is a king among action sci fi, but Reloaded deserves high praise for its stylish jacked in looks. I watch the trilogy when I decide to watch the Matrix.

Red Hood

Banned
Yeah OP, I don't recall The Matrix not getting enough recognition. It's very, very popular. Even if you haven't seen it, people still know it's from Matrix whenever they see certain slow-mo shots.

Piers

Still sad Neo turned into a borderline silent protagonist after the first film.
Otherwise I loved them all to some extent.

more recognition from viewers, not the industry.

The Matrix is the movie that helped solidify two friendships I've had since 1999. It is that important to my life.

But come on, people love the Matrix. It gets plenty of recognition. The disappointment of the sequels is what taints a lot of people's view on the film, but everyone I know loves it.

I watched The matrix when I was fairly young and given the way that it ended I always dreamed of the sequel... Then the sequels happened and my young mind came to the realisation taht ome things are best left alone. So, hey, at least the sequels taught me something.

wetwired

I owe my career to this movie, I loved it and the next day after seeing it I downloaded Qoole 99 map editor for Quake 2 and recreated the lobby scene and a few other areas to turn into a map for a total conversion for Quake 2 called Action Quake.

matrix2_01.jpg

matrix2_02.jpg

Pretty dodgy by today's standards, but it got me started, now 16 years later I am co-founder of my own indie games studio working on our first game after too many years to count working for various studios large and small.

Ecotic

It was brilliant and a cultural phenomenon for a brief few years. This just goes to show you the destructive power that incredible hype and bad sequels have to wreck a franchise (and taint the original).

vern

Movie has a special place in my heart. I saw it 5 times in cinema, and it represents the first time I fondled a girls breasts underneath the shirt and bra. I was in 8th grade.

KidJr

But it had jettison that idea. They wouldnt really have been able to carry on neo's facebook

MrChom

The Matrix itself deserves remembering as a film that blended Kung Fu, Hong Kong Blood Opera, and a decent light Sci Fi plot together. It was well shot, acted as well as it needed to be (wooden was fine), and generally hung well together.

The other two are real "bin of history" films. Parroting what the Wachowskis had done well in the first film while adding layers of terrible mythos that was ultimately unnecessary.

The first film is dated, it shows its age. From dodgy effects, to the horrible colour grade (It fits the film, but it's very early 2000s, and actively puts you on edge), and the sheer amount of talking is insane (watch it, it's slower and more pretentious than you remember).

Reloaded and Revolutions are trash direct to DVD rubbish by comparison (except for the motorway scene). The rave scene, the orgasm cake, Smith coming to the real world, the final DBZ fight at the end....just awful.

EGM1966

The first gets plenty of fair recognition. The franchise as a whole gets less recognition as the sequels didn't match first and as a whole it's a lot less thematically and narratively satisfying than the first film in isolation.

its amazing how straight from the get go you get the feeling that the agents are not to be fucked with. Amazing world building, considering it happens at the start.

1D3OGoz.jpg

They had an actual otherworldly presence in the first film that went beyond just acrobatics.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
As shit as the sequels were, I still like the parts with Smith. It's all the other crap that ruined everything. It's a shame you have to endure 4 hours of mostly shit to get to the beautiful scene where Neo becomes 'one'.

LevelNth

Banned
It's the last great mainstream film IMO to have a significant plot device not ruined/spoiled/included in the advertisements.

I'll never forget that day in March watching with my friends and being completely blown away by what was occurring in the theater.

Spot on. Exactly how i feel.

Plus why did being in the matrix give everything this weird green colour over everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom