• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DO is a great system with an incredible library of games. A recommendation thread. (Gif img heavy)

The 3DO has been more appreciated in recent years than it has in the past, where misinformation was spread regularly. But many people don't realize that the 3DO is one of the best consoles out there, with a large and amazing library of games.

The 3DO or 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, was released in 1993 by the American 3DO company at a cost of $700 at most retailers with some selling it for less according to Trip Hawkins, the founder. The price started to drop fast once other manufacturers were involved but this was still quite an issue early on. There is a reason for this high price, the 3DO company was the last attempt by a smaller company to enter the console side of the video game industry. The 3DO company did not have the money to manufacture their own consoles due to the expensive costs associated with the parts needed to make the 3DO a reality. The only solution was for the 3DO company to partner with various manufactures by licensing the hardware designs to them. After the 3DO you would need much more wealth to get into consoles at all, as seen 7 years later when Microsoft brought in the Xbox.

The 3DO was the most successful failed console not from a major console manufacturer. Outside early instances in some regions, in the end the 3DO never performed well in any market it was in, but still sold enough consoles and software that buying a console and collecting for it is much less of a pain compared to other unsuccessful console hardware. With over 2 million consoles sold it wasn't a successful project, but it still left its mark.

The 3DO is home to some great games, I personally like its library more than the Saturn and N64 libraries myself, and with the 3DO's security being cracked years ago. it also has a growing homebrew scene. More and more people are becoming informed and are taking a deeper look at the 3DO compared to other weaker failed systems like for example, the Atari Jaguar, but many people still aren't aware of its library of gems.

I though I would take the time to go over some games that I or others on the internet recommend if you are thinking about buying a 3DO, or are interested in exploring its library more. There are 4 3DO models two made by Panasonic, 1 made by LG, and 1 made by Sanyo. All 4 play most games exactly the same, but some are not able to play a few games or may have performance issues running others. This isn't a large number of games, but to make things clear for you the LG model is the one with the most problems of the 4, while both Panasonic models are the safest with Sanyo right behind, but in most circumstances all 4 play the majority of software without issue.

Most games are region free, and you can play them on whichever 3DO model you have, now let's finally go over the games:

x6kRDl.gif

Slayer

Slayer is a 3D action RPG and one of the best games on the system. A large dungeon to explore with fast-paced action and multiple ways to deal with enemies from swords to magic. You can save your progress at anytime and have an option to create a character or jump right into the adventure. The game has high replayability because each time you complete a playthrough, you can start again and the dungeon design, enemies, and boss will be randomly generated.

OgYN4r.gif

Immercenary

Immercenary is sometimes considered one of the best games ever made and sometimes considered one of the most confusing to those who don't 'get it' when speaking oabout its gameplay. Immercenary is a massive open world first-person rpg (!) with 255 general inhabitants, and an infinite number glitched inhabitants occupying a a massive virtual gaming world (!) which is constantly changing (!) as you play. The game environment is also constantly changing and you can experience things like lightning storms (!). The game isn't an FPS though, it's an rpg so you need to play it like one, defeating enemies in the game world will increase your stats, and the higher the rank the more exp you gain, but you aren't the only person in the world hunting people down.

The world of Immercenary is not copy and pasted, different districts have different buildings and architecture with varying designs (!), the world itself has zero loading (!), the only loading is when you go to Neutral spots where you can conversate with people to help you out with the game, sometimes some of the bosses are also in these zones and you can talk to them as well (!). It's a game that's very ambitious and ahead of it's time, the fact it wasn't rereleased a couple years later when web adoption exploded is a shame because it could have been an amazing early massive MMO Rpg, however it's still an amazing and unique experience as a single player game, which is what the game was designed to be. It doesn't run well in emulators so the best way to play is buying a 3DO.

793oQG.gif

Alone in the dark

The original Resident Evil/Silent Hill, play as one Edward Carnby, or some other lady, and explore a haunted estate filled with horrors, magic, and evil creatures. Combat is limited as the focus is placed on puzzle solving and watching out for traps. A classic.

k252lY.gif

Alone in the dark 2

Alone in the Dark 2 changes things up a bit being closer to the gameplay style found in Resident Evil, but still before Resident Evil existed. It focuses more on action and combat than the previous entry in the series. Shame the 3DO was a straight PC port without enhancements, but it's still a fun game.

Brgrj2.gif

Doctor Hauzer (performance based on 3DO model)

Doctor Hauzer is a overhead horror game similar to Alone in the dark and Resident Evil. The big difference is that Doctor Hauzer is fully polygonal. and there's an option to switch the camera angle from third Person to first, or to Isometric. The game focuses on puzzle solving for its gameplay.

w0pQWr.gif

Twisted: the game show

Twisted Game show is a cross between wacky TV game shows and Mario Party before Mario Party even existed. It combined FMV, 2D graphics, and 3D graphics to give you a fun and frankly crazy party game experience. You even select numbers to move on a board. The game challenges players with quizzes, mini-games, traps, and other strange happenings. Highly Recommended.

mqZKKE.gif

Belzerion

Belzerion is actually a hybrid between a FPS and a point and click adventure game. You first start out in point and click mode, when the level starts you are thrown into a first person environment until you encounter an enemy and undergo tactical battles instead of general FPS combat, you can even switch between your gun or melee attacks. You are a cop sent in with a battle mech to clean up the city, the game is not in English but it's very easy to play.

57ym2q.gif

Battle Pinball

The games title is self-explanatory, a Pinball battle game, and it's actually quite fun. No Japanese necessary.

oZ2MEL.gif

Super Wing Commander

A remake of the first Wing Commander with a star studded cast, improved graphics and audio, and space blasting action!

46xlgk.gif

Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (performance based on 3DO model)

Wing Commander III is an amazing experience and one of the best space action games out there. With an amazing cast of terrific actors like the protagonist played by Mark Hamill of Star Wars fame, amazing graphics, and immersive gameplay, you'll have a hard time putting this legendary title down.

z6pWLZ.gif

Need for Speed (performance based on 3DO model)

Also known as Road & Track Presents: Need for Speed, the original big hit for the system, Need for Speed has you driving in an immersive racing simulator with full polygonal 3D track environments zooming down the highway dodging incoming vehicles. Tons of video of the amazing cars you'll be driving with detailed tracks that still look good today. Ports of this title often sacrifice detail and style to make a generic racer, which makes the original still the best imo.

vQgQ6M.gif

Gex

Gex is a cool Gecko and became the face of the 3DO. Two years after the console debut this game ended up passing all the other big hits becoming the best selling game on the system quickly, leading 3DO to bundle it with many of their consoles. Tight controls, new forms of platforming only a Gecko can accomplish, beautiful graphics, funny wise cracks, and a legendary soundtrack, here is a track from the boss displayed in the gif:

Just great fun all around, and for the time the only platforming icon who talked that wasn't annoying and in terrible games.

pZYNJX.gif

Another World

One of the best versions of Another World. The game is the original cinematic experience along with its brother game Flashback. You don't just get to blast through this game you have to use your wits to get out of dangerous situations while absorbing the breathtaking animations and well crafted environments that convey an alien planet.

RlglvY.gif

Foes of Ali

Foes of Ali was amazing when it released and still is impressive now, a 3D brawler with fast boxing action and detailed characters. Still great fun to play.

VvO48o.gif

Ultraman Powered

Ultraman Powered is a strange but entertaining japanese fighting game featuring Ultraman and other major Japanese monsters like Gomera the giant turtle. It's a bit stiff but responsive and fun to play.

Y767wY.gif

Primal Rage

Primal Rage is the famous monster brawling game where large monsters and dinosaurs are fighting in the middle of modern day America eating people alive in the meantime! Just an all-around cool game.

K8rPK8.gif

Eye of Typhoon

LG used to produce games. If that wasn't crazy enough they produced a good number of them, but Eye of Typhoon is one of the best. It's a cross-between Samurai Showdown and Street Fighter II Turbo with it's own unique characteristics. The balance is admittedly, not there. But you will have a blast with this game regardless.

nRZRAP.gif

Starfighter

The original and best version of Starfighter, you may mistake this as another Jet combat sim but not quite. You have 3D free roaming open maps to explore and you can cause destruction everywhere you go. You can not only shoot down the target but also watch as the buildings and other objects get demolished. You have detailed graphics and respectable draw distance, and you can fly as high as outer space..

r202rL.gif

Road Rash

Soundgarden Presents: Road Rash, is another great game on the 3DO. Those who enjoyed the inferior versions on previous consoles will be blown away by the character involved in this 3DO version. Great audio, crazy cutscenes, and pipe smashing action while driving around 3D environments as you beat the crap out of anyone that gets in your way. Because why not, who's going to stop you, the cops?

jY2YVW.gif

Dragon Lore

The famous PC action point and click adventure game Dragon Lore gets an update on the 3DO, and you can play it without configuring a bunch of files and meeting irritating memory requirements. Quality audio and 3D animation will immerse you in this classic title.

w0j0wg.gif

Crash N Burn

A launch title for the 3DO, Crash N Burn has some wacky FMV drivers to choose from and once you get things in order it's off to the races! CNB is a combat racing game that makes amazing use of the 3DO's audio, 2D, FMV, and 3D capabilities to deliver an amazing looking racing experience and it's a pretty good launch title as a result. You are driving along the track trying to take out the other racers while aiming for first place. There's even a garage to recover damage you've taken.

9989N8.gif

Alert Wax Water (performance based on 3DO model)

This Japanese game on the surface may look like a Bomber Man clone at first glance, but it's not. Instead of focusing on bombs and abilities that compliment them, you are instead interacting with hazards and using special abilities to take out your opponents. This brings a refreshing take to what would be at this point, a very stale formula. It's also known by another name in Japan in a different box, but they are both the same game.

jY2Yj4.gif

Star Control II

The very popular PC Space RPG is on the 3DO with great graphics, amazing audio, and addicting gameplay. You may be wondering about the games popularity at first, but once you play it you'll be having some problems finding a reason to put it down. Once Star Control addition gets you, you may never leave.

yw8w4R.gif

Star Blade

The Namco 3D arcade classic Star Blade is a great game on the 3DO. This rail shooter allows you to play the arcade perfect original, or you can play the enhanced version that improves the 3D graphics with improved textures and polygons. The presentation of the game will impress you, fooling you into believing the scale is much bigger than it actually is.

7969B8.gif

Demolition Man

Demolition Man is a hybrid action game that involves shooting and fighting. Based off the movie, Sylvester Stallone had filmed scenes specifically for the 3DO version of the game, that's right, you can't get the definitive version of Demolition Man anywhere else. A treat for action movie fans.

J8Z8x9.gif

Crime Patrol

Crime Patrol is a FMV light gun game that is pretty hilarious. The video quality of the 3DO allows the game to look just like a movie. There's not too much to the game other than shooting at the targets while you get your reflexes tested, but the 'plot' and script will keep you entertained.

oZYZkA.gif

Casper

Casper is a simple but fun Adventure puzzle game that is actually quite good. Nothing outstanding but it has a cult following.

Here are some other 3DO games that I or other people often bring up when recommending 3DO games:

• Deathkeep (The Sequel to Slayer)
  • Wolfenstein 3D (The classic FPS)
  • Armageddon (A Korean take on Wing Commander. Lower production but with unique gameplay and new mechanics.)
  • Samurai Showdown (Weapon based fighting classic from SNK.)
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Was the best version of the game for years.)
  • Slam N Jam 1995 (A fluid 3D basketball game using scaling 2D Sprites, and does a good job creating the illusion of 3D)
  • F1GP (A cult favorite 3D F! racer.)
  • Killing Time (A favorite FPS game that even has real-time FMV ghosts having conversations right in the game world, and you can still move around)
  • Jurassic Park interactive (A collection of fun games based on Jurassic Park)
  • Lemmings (Everyone knows this game)
  • D (An all FMV CG version of Alone in the dark and Resident Evil thought with limited control, sold niche in most places but has cult status. Was a massive hit in Japan specifically and the best selling game on the 3DO there.)
  • D directors cut (The directors cut of D)
  • Lost Eden (A PC favorite ad)
  • Luccines Quest (A very sought after JRPG)
  • Grand Chef RPG (An early 3D JRPG)
  • Quarantine (Considered the grand father of Driver and Grand Theft Auto)
  • Ghost Hunter Rpg (A cult favorite FMV horror RPG.)
  • Gridders (A third person puzzle adventure.)
  • Guardian War (A popular strategy game.)
  • Myst (Every system had to have this game)
  • Night Trap (One of the best versions of this interactive movie)
  • Space Pirates (Often considered one of American Laser Games best titles by many)
  • Mad Dog (Perfect port of the hit arcade game)
  • Mad Dog II (Perfect port of the less than hit arcade game)
  • Crime Patrol II (The amazing sequel tot he first Crime Patrol and may be even funnier)
  • Flashback (The brother game to Another World)
  • Po'ed (An open level 3D FPS with strange enemies and weapons)
  • Hell: A cyberpunk thriller (A popular cult Adventure game)
  • The Horde (A defend strategy game)
  • The (even more) Incredible machine (One of the best versions of the popular puzzle series)
  • Many sports games from American, Japanese, and Korean studios.

And the 56 games mentioned here are just the tip of the iceberg, there are still an insane amount of games that haven't been covered on this topic. It's really just an amazing machine filled with great games and hidden gems. It being one of the most successful failed systems also makes it so that collecting for it is much easier than others.

There are a handful of Japanese games that only work on a Sanyo 3DO, and a few Korean games that only work on a Goldstar/LG 3DO, if you don't mind excluding those from a legit collection you can burn the fixed versions to a CD and play it on whatever 3DO you have.

Now to finally finish that XE thread.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My uncle actually worked on Immercenary. Small group of people out of Little Rock Arkansas. It was fun as a kid when he'd show us the dev. builds. They were a really small team, so much so that he had to be the guy with the long hair at the beginning intro FMV that gets fried in the chair. My grandmother hated that intro movie, watching her baby boy getting all fried up, always made us laugh when he'd show us in front of her.

I know he has an old 3DO sitting in his attic collecting dust and I asked him if he'd send it to me, told him I'd never sell it, just wanna play it. Told me hell no and then sent me a sealed copy of Immercenary in the mail.

I'm completely biased but Immercenary was kind ahead of it's time, it's story was essentially The Matrix years before The Matrix was a thing. I was watching a twitch Stream of it the other day and told my uncle about it he's like, "Someone's actually PLAYING that?" Most of those 3DO games have aged terribly though and Immercenary is no exception, it did do some really unique things though that were very uncommon compared to it's peers. Road Rash is still pretty good all things considered the last time I played it a few years back.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I have a soft spot for 3D0 and the 32X, but no love for the Jaguar. This was a strange period of time, an in between gap year. But 3D0 was cutting edge for the time and had some stand out titles, also excellent sports titles.

The price, the business model and the controller set-up was a fiasco. But it still somewhat managed to have some game changers.

Unlike the cost of a NEO GEO 2-D power house, the 3d0 was out classed so quickly for 3D style gaming. So not a great investment.

Last edited:

dtremblay

Quarantine and Blade Force yo. I'll be honest, I'm too lazy to look up any screenshots but I remember thinking they were kind of dope. I assume they were actually less than great games, but who knows.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I haven't dug out my 3DO in a while but I always thought it was a cool system especially for the time it was released. It was way better than the Jaguar and 32X and really did feel like a true next gen system. Unfortunately that price squandered whatever early lead they might have had, and probably it just wasn't the right moment to release anyway. And its struggles with 2D games didn't help either.

But I really admire Trip Hawkins and his vision for inexpensive licensing. The world might be a better place if that caught on.

I haven't thought about Starfighter in a while. I want to dig that one out.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Hmm, I'm curious, what is the state of 3DO right now? I never hear of new emulators coming out to support it (and if Immercenary doesn't run well, is that the only known-name game that doesn't work?) or anything like overclocking or polygon render improvement systems or anything fun like that. (I'm reading up now on the 4DO emulation core for RetroArch...)

I do know that M2 emulation got some news in the last two years (the console itself was canceled in production but there were other weird uses of the technology that did come to market) but that's about the extent I have heard about a 3D0 emulation fanbase before this thread.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Had one day one, loved road rage, nfs, gex, etc. Cutting edge for its time. Too bad the high price killed it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have a soft spot for 3D0 and the 32X, but no love for the Jaguar. This was a strange period of time, an in between gap year. But 3D0 was cutting edge for the time and had some stand out titles, also excellent sports titles.

The price, the business model and the controller set-up was a fiasco. But it still somewhat managed to have some game changers.

Unlike the cost of a NEO GEO 2-D power house, the 3d0 was out classed so quickly for 3D style gaming. So not a great investment.

The reason you have no soft spot for jaguar is it had like 10 games, most of which sucked......

Come on man. Come. On.

Just because you may not know much about it's hundreds of games and classics because you got all your info from Angry Nintendo Nerd, doesn't means you can't actually look up peoples impressions of games on the system. You still may not like some of them but at least then you would have more information.

There's 56 games mentioned in the op alone.

Hmm, I'm curious, what is the state of 3DO right now? I never hear of new emulators coming out to support it (and if Immercenary doesn't run well, is that the only known-name game that doesn't work?) or anything like overclocking or polygon render improvement systems or anything fun like that. (I'm reading up now on the 4DO emulation core for RetroArch...)

I do know that M2 emulation got some news in the last two years (the console itself was canceled in production but there were other weird uses of the technology that did come to market) but that's about the extent I have heard about a 3D0 emulation fanbase before this thread.

3DO has tight security so it's hard to get emulators out as fast but there are others. There's also a homebrew scene that's picking up and someone is fan translating Policenauts. I also think someone is translating Grand Chef and Battle Blues iirc.

Had one day one, loved road rage, nfs, gex, etc. Cutting edge for its time. Too bad the high price killed it.

High price didn't kill it, low price did when the PS1 and Saturn came out. The 3DO was the same price (as the PlayStation, Saturn didn't drop the price yet) at that point so they cut it to be $100 less, which I still think was a major mistake since it took some time for the PS1 and Saturn to prove to be much better graphically, and the 3DO was starting to get some of it's most graphically impressive games in 1995. From 1994 to 1996 there were several stinkers for both consoles, some of them looked good but had mixed or low reviews which brought the 3DO more time, and in some cases the 3DO had better versions of a select number of multi-platform titles. Imo, the game changer didn't happen until Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and the launch of N64 with Mario 64 and Pilotwings happened, all 4 were released within a month of each other.

If imo, they had waited until 1996 to cut the price $100 less, the perception that the 3DO was on flash clearance wouldn't have happened, or the belief that the price cut was because the 3DO was greatly inferior and wasn't worth the wait on price after all. What's worse is they kept doing it cutting another $100 off months later, and while some people did buy 3DO's at those lower prices, how much money could you make on hardware at $99 or less? Cutting the price to $199 in 1995 is also what fast-tracked LG to lose so much money on their Korean model that several companies would have gone bankrupt with similar losses.

3DO also gutted Gex's momentum by putting out pack in deals focusing on numerous games like SSFII Turbo, Shockwave, Icebreaker, and others. At first that may make sense, but Gex was moving consoles before it came with any 3DO system, it was it's high sales and it's ability to move consoles that made them want to include Gex with 3DO's in the first place, and they eventually had sold 1 million copies of Gex in a pretty short time, so they should have kept Gex as the only or by far the most produced 3DO bundle that was available. Even when ported to the PlayStation it sold very well, imo they probably could have sold 3 million on the 3DO alone easily, because for some reason a lot of people reaaallllyyyyyyyyyy liked and wanted Gex.

I don't blame them for working with Capcom to sell bundles with Super Street Fighter II Turbo as just a year before the 3DO's launch Street Fighter II was selling millions on the Super Nintendo, and so did Street Fighter II Turbo which came out the same year as the 3DO's launch. I wouldn't say that it was wrong for them to think that maybe having the best version of arguably the most popular fighting game might sell 3DO systems, but in the end it turned out Gex was what people really wanted and to be honest I don't really know why. I'm not saying Gex is a bad game, but when you have amazing 3D games like Need For Speed and the best version of a game that sold 6 million copies on another system, it seems a bit puzzling.

Romulus

I just don't agree with the ps1 right around the corner. Sony's machine trampled 3DO in every category, and was half the price at launch by comparison.

half the price at launch by comparison.
The 3DO was the same price as the PS1 after it was announced (in NA) and then $100 less around the time it had come out. Unless you're talking about Japan, I don't know about the prices there, I just know the PS1 came out a year earlier in Japan. I don't know if Panasonic or Sanyo price matched or not.

chigstoke

Periodically I check eBay to see if I can find a bargain one, but the system on it's own is going for extortionate amounts sometimes (UK)

Given it's rarity I shouldn't expect anything else, but hopefully this can be a future pick up.

Last edited:
The reason you have no soft spot for jaguar is it had like 10 games, most of which sucked......
Jaguar has some good games: AvP, Iron Soldier 1 and 2, Tempest 2000, some 3D cyberpunk-ish shooting game for Jaguar CD and...that's about it. Had a lot of potential with games like Black Ice/White Noise but those were cancelled well before completion sadly.

Overall if I had to choose between Jaguar and 3DO the latter would easily take it; while the 3DO isn't a masterpiece itself, it has a much better library overall than Jaguar's, including some games like Lucienne's Quest which arguably have their best versions on the 3DO despite ports to other systems.

B D Joe

That need for speed gif has blown my mind.

At the time it was the best racer I had ever played and I would have used the words photo-realistic to describe the graphics.

I wish I'd had either the foresight or spare money to have kept all my old systems 😕

Romulus

The 3DO was the same price as the PS1 after it was announced (in NA) and then $100 less around the time it had come out. Unless you're talking about Japan, I don't know about the prices there, I just know the PS1 came out a year earlier in Japan. I don't know if Panasonic or Sanyo price matched or not.

C2LWWk0WIAAmCOo.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great thread!

Gifs aren't seeming to load for me but the one for Slayer did, that game looks and sounds awesome. I'll have to YouTube some of these titles.

Last edited:
The 3DO has been more appreciated in recent years than it has in the past, where misinformation was spread regularly. But many people don't realize that the 3DO is one of the best consoles out there, with a large and amazing library of games.

The 3DO or 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, was released in 1993 by the American 3DO company at a cost of $700 at most retailers with some selling it for less according to Trip Hawkins, the founder. The price started to drop fast once other manufacturers were involved but this was still quite an issue early on. There is a reason for this high price, the 3DO company was the last attempt by a smaller company to enter the console side of the video game industry. The 3DO company did not have the money to manufacture their own consoles due to the expensive costs associated with the parts needed to make the 3DO a reality. The only solution was for the 3DO company to partner with various manufactures by licensing the hardware designs to them. After the 3DO you would need much more wealth to get into consoles at all, as seen 7 years later when Microsoft brought in the Xbox.

The 3DO was the most successful failed console not from a major console manufacturer. Outside early instances in some regions, in the end the 3DO never performed well in any market it was in, but still sold enough consoles and software that buying a console and collecting for it is much less of a pain compared to other unsuccessful console hardware. With over 2 million consoles sold it wasn't a successful project, but it still left its mark.

The 3DO is home to some great games, I personally like its library more than the Saturn and N64 libraries myself, and with the 3DO's security being cracked years ago. it also has a growing homebrew scene. More and more people are becoming informed and are taking a deeper look at the 3DO compared to other weaker failed systems like for example, the Atari Jaguar, but many people still aren't aware of its library of gems.

I though I would take the time to go over some games that I or others on the internet recommend if you are thinking about buying a 3DO, or are interested in exploring its library more. There are 4 3DO models two made by Panasonic, 1 made by LG, and 1 made by Sanyo. All 4 play most games exactly the same, but some are not able to play a few games or may have performance issues running others. This isn't a large number of games, but to make things clear for you the LG model is the one with the most problems of the 4, while both Panasonic models are the safest with Sanyo right behind, but in most circumstances all 4 play the majority of software without issue.

Most games are region free, and you can play them on whichever 3DO model you have, now let's finally go over the games:

x6kRDl.gif

Slayer

Slayer is a 3D action RPG and one of the best games on the system. A large dungeon to explore with fast-paced action and multiple ways to deal with enemies from swords to magic. You can save your progress at anytime and have an option to create a character or jump right into the adventure. The game has high replayability because each time you complete a playthrough, you can start again and the dungeon design, enemies, and boss will be randomly generated.

OgYN4r.gif

Immercenary

Immercenary is sometimes considered one of the best games ever made and sometimes considered one of the most confusing to those who don't 'get it' when speaking oabout its gameplay. Immercenary is a massive open world first-person rpg (!) with 255 general inhabitants, and an infinite number glitched inhabitants occupying a a massive virtual gaming world (!) which is constantly changing (!) as you play. The game environment is also constantly changing and you can experience things like lightning storms (!). The game isn't an FPS though, it's an rpg so you need to play it like one, defeating enemies in the game world will increase your stats, and the higher the rank the more exp you gain, but you aren't the only person in the world hunting people down.

The world of Immercenary is not copy and pasted, different districts have different buildings and architecture with varying designs (!), the world itself has zero loading (!), the only loading is when you go to Neutral spots where you can conversate with people to help you out with the game, sometimes some of the bosses are also in these zones and you can talk to them as well (!). It's a game that's very ambitious and ahead of it's time, the fact it wasn't rereleased a couple years later when web adoption exploded is a shame because it could have been an amazing early massive MMO Rpg, however it's still an amazing and unique experience as a single player game, which is what the game was designed to be. It doesn't run well in emulators so the best way to play is buying a 3DO.

793oQG.gif

Alone in the dark

The original Resident Evil/Silent Hill, play as one Edward Carnby, or some other lady, and explore a haunted estate filled with horrors, magic, and evil creatures. Combat is limited as the focus is placed on puzzle solving and watching out for traps. A classic.

k252lY.gif

Alone in the dark 2

Alone in the Dark 2 changes things up a bit being closer to the gameplay style found in Resident Evil, but still before Resident Evil existed. It focuses more on action and combat than the previous entry in the series. Shame the 3DO was a straight PC port without enhancements, but it's still a fun game.

Brgrj2.gif

Doctor Hauzer is a overhead horror game similar to Alone in the dark and Resident Evil. The big difference is that Doctor Hauzer is fully polygonal. and there's an option to switch the camera angle from third Person to first, or to Isometric. The game focuses on puzzle solving for its gameplay.

w0pQWr.gif

Twisted Game show is a cross between wacky TV game shows and Mario Party before Mario Party even existed. It combined FMV, 2D graphics, and 3D graphics to give you a fun and frankly crazy party game experience. You even select numbers to move on a board. The game challenges players with quizzes, mini-games, traps, and other strange happenings. Highly Recommended.

mqZKKE.gif

Belzerion

Belzerion is actually a hybrid between a FPS and a point and click adventure game. You first start out in point and click mode, when the level starts you are thrown into a first person environment until you encounter an enemy and undergo tactical battles instead of general FPS combat, you can even switch between your gun or melee attacks. You are a cop sent in with a battle mech to clean up the city, the game is not in English but it's very easy to play.

57ym2q.gif

Battle Pinball

The games title is self-explanatory, a Pinball battle game, and it's actually quite fun. No Japanese necessary.

oZ2MEL.gif

Super Wing Commander

A remake of the first Wing Commander with a star studded cast, improved graphics and audio, and space blasting action!

46xlgk.gif

Wing Commander III is an amazing experience and one of the best space action games out there. With an amazing cast of terrific actors like the protagonist played by Mark Hamill of Star Wars fame, amazing graphics, and immersive gameplay, you'll have a hard time putting this legendary title down.

z6pWLZ.gif

Also known as Road & Track Presents: Need for Speed, the original big hit for the system, Need for Speed has you driving in an immersive racing simulator with full polygonal 3D track environments zooming down the highway dodging incoming vehicles. Tons of video of the amazing cars you'll be driving with detailed tracks that still look good today. Ports of this title often sacrifice detail and style to make a generic racer, which makes the original still the best imo.

vQgQ6M.gif

Gex

Gex is a cool Gecko and became the face of the 3DO. Two years after the console debut this game ended up passing all the other big hits becoming the best selling game on the system quickly, leading 3DO to bundle it with many of their consoles. Tight controls, new forms of platforming only a Gecko can accomplish, beautiful graphics, funny wise cracks, and a legendary soundtrack, here is a track from the boss displayed in the gif:

Just great fun all around, and for the time the only platforming icon who talked that wasn't annoying and in terrible games.

pZYNJX.gif

Another World

One of the best versions of Another World. The game is the original cinematic experience along with its brother game Flashback. You don't just get to blast through this game you have to use your wits to get out of dangerous situations while absorbing the breathtaking animations and well crafted environments that convey an alien planet.

RlglvY.gif

Foes of Ali

Foes of Ali was amazing when it released and still is impressive now, a 3D brawler with fast boxing action and detailed characters. Still great fun to play.

VvO48o.gif

Ultraman Powered

Ultraman Powered is a strange but entertaining japanese fighting game featuring Ultraman and other major Japanese monsters like Gomera the giant turtle. It's a bit stiff but responsive and fun to play.

Y767wY.gif

Primal Rage

Primal Rage is the famous monster brawling game where large monsters and dinosaurs are fighting in the middle of modern day America eating people alive in the meantime! Just an all-around cool game.

K8rPK8.gif

Eye of Typhoon

LG used to produce games. If that wasn't crazy enough they produced a good number of them, but Eye of Typhoon is one of the best. It's a cross-between Samurai Showdown and Street Fighter II Turbo with it's own unique characteristics. The balance is admittedly, not there. But you will have a blast with this game regardless.

nRZRAP.gif

Starfighter

The original and best version of Starfighter, you may mistake this as another Jet combat sim but not quite. You have 3D free roaming open maps to explore and you can cause destruction everywhere you go. You can not only shoot down the target but also watch as the buildings and other objects get demolished. You have detailed graphics and respectable draw distance, and you can fly as high as outer space..

r202rL.gif

Road Rash

Soundgarden Presents: Road Rash, is another great game on the 3DO. Those who enjoyed the inferior versions on previous consoles will be blown away by the character involved in this 3DO version. Great audio, crazy cutscenes, and pipe smashing action while driving around 3D environments as you beat the crap out of anyone that gets in your way. Because why not, who's going to stop you, the cops?

jY2YVW.gif

Dragon Lore

The famous PC action point and click adventure game Dragon Lore gets an update on the 3DO, and you can play it without configuring a bunch of files and meeting irritating memory requirements. Quality audio and 3D animation will immerse you in this classic title.

w0j0wg.gif

Crash N Burn

A launch title for the 3DO, Crash N Burn has some wacky FMV drivers to choose from and once you get things in order it's off to the races! CNB is a combat racing game that makes amazing use of the 3DO's audio, 2D, FMV, and 3D capabilities to deliver an amazing looking racing experience and it's a pretty good launch title as a result. You are driving along the track trying to take out the other racers while aiming for first place. There's even a garage to recover damage you've taken.

9989N8.gif

This Japanese game on the surface may look like a Bomber Man clone at first glance, but it's not. Instead of focusing on bombs and abilities that compliment them, you are instead interacting with hazards and using special abilities to take out your opponents. This brings a refreshing take to what would be at this point, a very stale formula. It's also known by another name in Japan in a different box, but they are both the same game.

jY2Yj4.gif

Star Control II

The very popular PC Space RPG is on the 3DO with great graphics, amazing audio, and addicting gameplay. You may be wondering about the games popularity at first, but once you play it you'll be having some problems finding a reason to put it down. Once Star Control addition gets you, you may never leave.

yw8w4R.gif

Star Blade

The Namco 3D arcade classic Star Blade is a great game on the 3DO. This rail shooter allows you to play the arcade perfect original, or you can play the enhanced version that improves the 3D graphics with improved textures and polygons. The presentation of the game will impress you, fooling you into believing the scale is much bigger than it actually is.

7969B8.gif

Demolition Man

Demolition Man is a hybrid action game that involves shooting and fighting. Based off the movie, Sylvester Stallone had filmed scenes specifically for the 3DO version of the game, that's right, you can't get the definitive version of Demolition Man anywhere else. A treat for action movie fans.

J8Z8x9.gif

Crime Patrol

Crime Patrol is a FMV light gun game that is pretty hilarious. The video quality of the 3DO allows the game to look just like a movie. There's not too much to the game other than shooting at the targets while you get your reflexes tested, but the 'plot' and script will keep you entertained.

oZYZkA.gif

Casper

Casper is a simple but fun Adventure puzzle game that is actually quite good. Nothing outstanding but it has a cult following.

Here are some other 3DO games that I or other people often bring up when recommending 3DO games:

• Armageddon (A Korean take on Wing Commander. Lower production but with unique gameplay and new mechanics.)
  • Slam N Jam 1995 (A fluid 3D basketball game using scaling 2D Sprites, and does a good job creating the illusion of 3D)
  • Killing Time (A favorite FPS game that even has real-time FMV ghosts having conversations right in the game world, and you can still move around)
  • D (An all FMV CG version of Alone in the dark and Resident Evil thought with limited control, sold niche in most places but has cult status. Was a massive hit in Japan specifically and the best selling game on the 3DO there.)
  • Space Pirates (Often considered one of American Laser Games best titles by many)
  • Crime Patrol II (The amazing sequel tot he first Crime Patrol and may be even funnier)
  • The (even more) Incredible machine (One of the best versions of the popular puzzle series)

And the 56 games mentioned here are just the tip of the iceberg, there are still an insane amount of games that haven't been covered on this topic. It's really just an amazing machine filled with great games and hidden gems. It being one of the most successful failed systems also makes it so that collecting for it is much easier than others.

There are a handful of Japanese games that only work on a Sanyo 3DO, and a few Korean games that only work on a Goldstar/LG 3DO, if you don't mind excluding those from a legit collection you can burn the fixed versions to a CD and play it on whatever 3DO you have.

I would love to have a mini 3DO with those games, a solid selection. Gosh, I was so much into this 1st NFS! A great driving game!!

Danknugz

x6kRDl.gif

Slayer

OgYN4r.gif

Immercenary

793oQG.gif

Alone in the dark

k252lY.gif

Alone in the dark 2

Brgrj2.gif

w0pQWr.gif

mqZKKE.gif

Belzerion

57ym2q.gif

Battle Pinball

oZ2MEL.gif

Super Wing Commander

46xlgk.gif

z6pWLZ.gif

vQgQ6M.gif

Gex

pZYNJX.gif

Another World

RlglvY.gif

Foes of Ali

VvO48o.gif

Ultraman Powered

Y767wY.gif

Primal Rage

K8rPK8.gif

Eye of Typhoon

nRZRAP.gif

Starfighter

r202rL.gif

Road Rash

jY2YVW.gif

Dragon Lore

w0j0wg.gif

Crash N Burn

9989N8.gif

jY2Yj4.gif

Star Control II

yw8w4R.gif

Star Blade

7969B8.gif

Demolition Man

J8Z8x9.gif

Crime Patrol

oZYZkA.gif

Casper

I thought the 3do had no security at all and you could just run copied/burned discs?

Danknugz

That need for speed gif has blown my mind.

At the time it was the best racer I had ever played and I would have used the words photo-realistic to describe the graphics.

I wish I'd had either the foresight or spare money to have kept all my old systems 😕
Another mid-late 90s game I played on acid and is forever etched into my memory.

kids: don’t do acid or drugs

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I loved playing Off-World Interceptor, and Captain Quazar. Those were the gems I remember most.

Ooooh, and The Horde.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Yeah, i think this thread overestimates the 3DO and it's games just a tiny bit.

Just a little bit, yeah. History has been kind to the 3DO because we forget about how grossly overpriced it was, and the drought of games early on.

It had superior ports of certain games compared to the 16-bit consoles, but not for the insane price.

Last edited:

Impotaku

LOL sweet jesus, just no. the 3DO was one corner of the trilogy of shit. With jaguar & CDi been the other 2, that era of gaming sucked so much garbage been released with shitty fmv style animation and janky polygons.

LOL sweet jesus, just no. the 3DO was one corner of the trilogy of shit.
What's your proof, Angry Video Game Nerd reviewing a rare title barely any stores carried and most didn't know about until he reviewed it and lied about the 3DO having mostly those types of games?

You don't sell tons of games with over 2 million consoles sold if it was as you say "shit" doesn't make sense.

I thought the 3do had no security at all and you could just run copied/burned discs?
Emulation isn't the same as playing a blank CD from the console.

Yeah, i think this thread overestimates the 3DO and it's games just a tiny bit.
No it doesn't unless you would like to explain? I mean opinions aside, many people like the types of games shown in the 56 game OP so those who come to browse will either like the list or dislike the list based on taste. Otherwise I don't see how the list of games and me personally thinking the library is good, along with others, is overestimating the 3DO. I didn't say it was better than the PS2 for example.

Just a little bit, yeah. History has been kind to the 3DO because we forget about how grossly overpriced it was, and the drought of games early on.

It had superior ports of certain games compared to the 16-bit consoles, but not for the insane price.
It actually got games quicker than you think, there was a short drought at launch admittedly.

I don't know where you are getting this 16-bit console thing from though, the 3DO had only a handful of those.

Great thread!

Gifs aren't seeming to load for me but the one for Slayer did, that game looks and sounds awesome. I'll have to YouTube some of these titles.

Sometimes you have to refresh the page a couple times for the gifs to load, maybe something to do with the forum software customizations.

I still have my 3DO with some games;

Gex
Need for Speed
Road Rash
Way of the Warrior
Sailormoon
Yuyu Hakusho

Sailormoon is a popular one with Japanese players. Didn't know about Yuyu.

Periodically I check eBay to see if I can find a bargain one, but the system on it's own is going for extortionate amounts sometimes (UK)

Given it's rarity I shouldn't expect anything else, but hopefully this can be a future pick up.
3DO's are region free so you can just get a cheap one from the US, Korea, or Japan. Try Ebay and organize by US seller, many ship overseas.

Crew511A

It actually got games quicker than you think, there was a short drought at launch admittedly.

I don't know where you are getting this 16-bit console thing from though, the 3DO had only a handful of those.

I was referring to games like Samurai Shodown or Super Street Fighter 2 (although the 3DO version was a different version) that appeared on both the 3DO and 16-bit consoles. Like you said, there weren't many, but those were the best ways to compare at the time.

It was a strange few years to be a gamer. I wonder if Sony's success was because they did things right, or because everyone was else was so scatterbrained.

Dr Bass

I remember how high end that system felt when it was announced. And expensive. Was not something my family could afford at all. And then I remember the M2 expansion that was supposed to make it the best thing ever ... which I don't believe ever materialized.

We almost have it too good right now. Or maybe it's just too much of an "industry." I kinda miss the variety and quirkiness of some of those older platforms.

Kilau

Gold Member
3DO definitely had some great games and I was so interested in the system back when it launched but the price was just insane for me and when I demoed it the controller setup was horrible. Thankfully many of those games saw life on different systems later on.

Tschumi

Definitely got some great games there OP, special shoutout to Wing Commander, definitely ripe for a reboot

Romulus

The PS5 was released in 1995 in NA, your own image says 1993. Didn't even bother to read my post or check your image.

This is straight from google:

The 3DO Interactive Multiplayer is a 32-bit home video game console developed by The 3DO Company and designed by New Technologies Group, released in North America by Panasonic first on October 4, 1993

Top Bottom