• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crackdown, or "oh god this game is eight years old"

I've been trying to clean up my 360 backlog this year, mainly in anticipation of my 60GB 360 eventually kicking the bucket one day (though between Xbox One backwards compatibility and the continued existence of 360s on store shelves, this has become less urgent). Of course, having bought my 360 only about halfway through the generation, there are a bunch of launch titles (or close to) that I missed out on, but have picked up in sales or whatnot. That's how I got myself a copy of Crackdown 2, which I later learned wasn't as good as the first one. So I picked that up in an XBLA sale as well.

Some games age better than others. Crackdown suffers particularly badly in this department. I know Crackdown was well received, so I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's really hard not to think that everything it does has been better achieved by later games. Getting around the world is incredibly painful, for example. Minor innovations introduced in franchises like Infamous or Assassin's Creed have greatly improved the basic act of climbing the side of a building. Crackdown feels like an early prototype of those same systems.

There aren't enough handholds on building walls, especially in places where you'd think there would be one. You're constantly running into small overhangs when trying to climb a building, and there's precious little you can do to climb past one. Even basic things like trying to climb a series of balconies can often fail because you might fly just slightly too far away from a balcony and then suddenly be unable to grab a ledge, causing you to fall to the ground (and sometimes your death). This happens even when you're not providing any input on the left stick, which you'd think would just mean "jump straight up and catch the next ledge." Which it does, about 60% of the time.

Aiming is kind of a pain, seemingly taking a page from Grand Theft Auto 3's lock-on aiming system (or at least I think it is, I played the vast majority of the GTA3 trilogy on PC). When it works, it's fine, though obviously arcade-like in execution. But all too often, it'll lock onto a far away target when you're getting punched by three dudes, or it'll lock onto a car instead of the driver that just got out, or you'll lock onto a person you just killed instead of his buddy exacting revenge. Why the beginning of this generation didn't immediately embrace traditional third-person controls, I don't really know. Did they just not exist back then? I'd be curious to find out why this is.

Your only respawn points are supply caches, which is fine except 1) many of them are really high up, which makes them a pain in the ass to get to and a pain in the ass to get down from, and 2) their placement is occasionally nonsensical. The Volk island is split into two halves, and there are NO SUPPLY CACHES in the northern half. Why? Who thought this was a great idea? Spending a few minutes after every death having to climb down a skyscraper and run across a third of the island just to get back to a boss encounter is incredibly annoying.

Anyways. I'm still only halfway? through the game, and though I'm pretty sure I'll finish it, it's a hard game to love so far removed from its initial release. It's been a while since I've felt this way about a game that until recently was part of this generation, so it's fascinating to see how far we've come over the last eight years despite my annoyances.

KJRS_1993

One thing that stands out to me on how badly Crackdown has aged is how bad the lag is while playing with a friend online.
I was connected to a mandem who lives around 9 miles away, and the game constantly stuttered and we kept teleporting around each others games. These issues were non-existent in more recently released games.

I don't remember ever noticing how awful it was when the game was first released.
Or maybe it was just a bad day!

I like that you actually have to aim to grab ledges in Crackdown. Ass Creed and Infamous might as well teleport you to the top of the building with how boring and uninvolved their platforming is.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I disagree. I actually played Crackdown only about 15 hours ago. I spent yesterday "re downloading" all my content to an S 360 after a licence transfer and then began the process of quickly starting each game in order to update my cloud saves.

Once I got to Crackdown, I tight I'd play it for a bit given its one of my favourites from last gen. Man, that game is still amazing. I think it totally holds up. It obviously helps that my character was already full maxed out though.

shinnn

Comparing to AC or Infamous makes no sense. It is not suposed to be an "automatic" parkour game. Its platforming. Plus you gain agility as you progress. The idea is to struggle to climb the buildings, to make it a challenge.

Sure it can be refined, but I dont want them to make it like those other games. Will kill what Crackdown is about.

Rembrandt

Banned
Can totally see this being a game that didn't age well.

Yeah, same. I haven't played it in a long time, but can't say I'm shocked. Was absolutely phenomenal at release, though. Get that SUV and climb buildings with it. Race to the top of the agency tower with your friend and then kick him off so he can't get jump into the lake and get the achievement. Snipe cars from miles away and watch them flip. Have your friend drive to you and do the same. Put mines on your friends car with them in it, throw it, have them jump out and shoot the gas tank and enjoy.

ahh, I want this new crackdown already.

Like many I'm sure, I only bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta but it ended up one of my favourite 360 games.

It isn't that exciting at first but it gets better as your character gets better. Once powered up it becomes almost a 'modern day 3D platformer' and it's really satisfying working out how to scale the trailer buildings in the game.

Also, hunting those orbs was so addictive!

Dominator

I played it last year for a few hours and still had a ton of fun with it. Nothing beats collecting those green orbs and climbing buildings like its nothing. 2 I didn't enjoy as much but not a bad game, and I can't wait for 3.

While the game has no doubt aged in many ways, I remember being very impressed with Crackdown's jumping/climbing, specifically the subtlety of the air control. It felt juuust right, and made precision jumping around a joy, outside of certain situations OP mentioned.

The other game I feel this way about is Galleon, which had some sort of computer-assisted jump aiming going on. Made it possible to jump onto the head of a needle, and feel like you not only meant to, but had the skillz to do it. Felt great.

Sydle

Played 2 recently and it's one of the best platformers I've played. I enjoyed how it didn't automatically climb buildings for me.

Scope out the environment and look for buildings with ledges you can traverse quickly with your current abilities. Later on you'll be able to scale skyscrapers with ease.

I was just looking yesterday in fact to see if Crackdown was BC on Xbone. It's at the 14k mark for votes. I'd love love love to see a PC port of this game one day. I guess there is the eventuality of the emulators working I guess. Great co-op game.

Bread

Banned
Incredible game, Crackdown 3 is easily my most anticipated game right now. Can't wait to see how that looks!

jelly

Nothing beats driving up the sides of buildings with a transforming SUV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAeVl3IzVs

That's awesome.

Jumping off the tower always made my legs go funny. Weird how videogames do that, I wonder what that would be like in VR!.

I really didn't like the feel of driving cars in Crackdown. Always felt like a battle and never felt like driving was smooth, something was off.

Thanks to Major Nelson, I had the Orb sound as my text notification.

It requires a bit of skill and that's why it's so much better than the shitty parkour in AC games (which I dislike exactly because of how great CD was). You don't simply hold down a button and run up buildings but need to platform. Superior in terms of this aspect of gameplay to all the copycats, from AC to Infamous, even if it's a bit janky sometimes. The one button no-skill no-effort climbing in those games felt pretty pathetic after CD. Overall those are completely different games and AC does do a few things well, just not the platforming. The orb chases in 2 were really cool too. So no, what CD focuses on, it still does much better than the new stuff.

Sydle

That's awesome.

Jumping off the tower always made my legs go funny. Weird how videogames do that, I wonder what that would be like in VR!.

I really didn't like the feel of driving cars in Crackdown. Always felt like a battle and never felt like driving was smooth, something was off.

Thanks to Major Nelson, I had the Orb sound as my text notification.

Felt the same until leveling up the driving ability and getting better cars. I'd prefer that the driving is great from the start and skills gained just make them faster, transform into different things, get weapons, etc.

IvanJ

Banned
If I remember correctly, this was the first Games With Gold free game. I downloaded it then, tried to play it but the game was so cumbersome and slow (along with many things pointed out in OP) that I could only play it for about an hour before deleting it forever.
And I heard that part 2 is the same game only a bit worse.

That's why I don't understand the excitement for part 3 (other because it's exclusive).

And AFAIK, the first game was only well received because it came with a Halo 3 Beta/Demo, not because of the game itself.

arhra

I don't think I ever got around to levelling cars much either.

Why bother when leaping straight over buildings was so much more fun?

Booshka

ITT: OP can't fucking aim for a ledge. Needs AC-like magnetic auto edge-grab.

This.

Click Right Stick for Jump OP, can keep your thumbs on the thumbsticks during jumps for better aiming. Also, once you get your Agility to Level 3, it's a lot more manageable, then 4 is amazing.

Crackdown is still really fun to navigate and play. Auto grab nonsense has made open world platforming games less fun, imo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some games age better than others. Crackdown suffers particularly badly in this department. I know Crackdown was well received, so I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's really hard not to think that everything it does has been better achieved by later games. Getting around the world is incredibly painful, for example. Minor innovations introduced in franchises like Infamous or Assassin's Creed have greatly improved the basic act of climbing the side of a building. Crackdown feels like an early prototype of those same systems.

There aren't enough handholds on building walls, especially in places where you'd think there would be one. You're constantly running into small overhangs when trying to climb a building, and there's precious little you can do to climb past one. Even basic things like trying to climb a series of balconies can often fail because you might fly just slightly too far away from a balcony and then suddenly be unable to grab a ledge, causing you to fall to the ground (and sometimes your death). This happens even when you're not providing any input on the left stick, which you'd think would just mean "jump straight up and catch the next ledge." Which it does, about 60% of the time.

This is something that's dramatically mitigated by the end game. I do think Crackdown got the progression ramp wrong and it's a little dull at the beginning of the game because of these complaints, but by the time you are basically Superman, leaping tall buildings with a single bound, you really don't feel inhibited.

Anyways. I'm still only halfway? through the game, and though I'm pretty sure I'll finish it, it's a hard game to love so far removed from its initial release. It's been a while since I've felt this way about a game that until recently was part of this generation, so it's fascinating to see how far we've come over the last eight years despite my annoyances.

How far you are through the game has little connection to how far you are in character development progression. Grind out some levels. Looking for orbs is more fun than killing the bad dudes anyway.

Rembrandt

Banned
If I remember correctly, this was the first Games With Gold free game. I downloaded it then, tried to play it but the game was so cumbersome and slow (along with many things pointed out in OP) that I could only play it for about an hour before deleting it forever.
And I heard that part 2 is the same game only a bit worse.

That's why I don't understand the excitement for part 3 (other because it's exclusive).

And AFAIK, the first game was only well received because it came with a Halo 3 Beta/Demo, not because of the game itself.

Nope,it sold well because of the beta but was praised for being surprisingly good. That was a whole thing. Nobody expected it to be as good as it was. also it sounds like you gave up before you even went up a level in any aspect. One of the few games that makes level progression actually fun and noticeable. Even your character will change depending on what you level up in (Gets bigger, hair grows, more tattoos, etc).

GhaleonEB

For me, this was the first game of the PS3/360 generation that really demonstrated the potential of that gen. The insane verticality and excellent draw distances, coupled with those glorious gargantuan explosions were something I'd never experienced before.

The way it slowly morphs from action game to action-platformer as your agility level increases was really wonderful. I spent countless hours roof hopping scouring for orbs.

The game sold extra copies for having been bundled with the Halo 3 beta, but it surprised by being a fantastic game in its own right.

Love this game, Im so happy we're getting a new one, I was one of the few who brought crackdown for crackdown on day one, I didn't have live so no halo beta for me, I was completley sold by the demo that I played at my friends house, but OP just by sand box mode, turn on god mode where you just become superman and have fun, achievments be damned.

EvB

There aren't enough handholds on building walls, especially in places where you'd think there would be one.

Why the beginning of this generation didn't immediately embrace traditional third-person controls, I don't really know. Did they just not exist back then? I'd be curious to find out why this is.

Your only respawn points are supply caches, which is fine except 1) many of them are really high up, which makes them a pain in the ass to get to and a pain in the ass to get down from .Spending a few minutes after every death having to climb down a skyscraper and run across a third of the island just to get back to a boss encounter is incredibly annoying.

This post reads very much like you haven't played much of it, I suspect you need to go and collect some more orbs.

Crackdown's handhold and jump distances are almost perfectly calculated to coincide with each agility level you can achieve.

Also, you shouldn't need to climb down a building or take a long time to ascend one, unless you are very low level, you can leap off all but the tallest buildings in the game without dying.

Crackdown launched about 3 months after Gears of War came out, which arguably created the defacto 3rd person controls, it was unlikely they would have changed the entire control scheme and the mechanics to match this. Although they aren't massively dissimilar. I always thought that Crackdown's control scheme was ok. It's a very chaotic game, so precision isn't really the number 1 priority. However, as you become better with guns your accuracy improves, so headshots and fuel cap shots become much easier to achieve.

EvB

Felt the same until leveling up the driving ability and getting better cars. I'd prefer that the driving is great from the start and skills gained just make them faster, transform into different things, get weapons, etc.

Yeah that was definitely something they didn't get right, the driving skill had a threshold that was too high until it became easy. Even getting the final transformation and ability for your vehicle was something that few people were likely to see.

I think they got it right in C2 with the vehicle abilities, but you didn't get the cool animations unfortunately.

I feel like this game would have bombed if it didn't have the Halo 3 beta golden ticket attached to it. People spent a lot of energy trying to justify the game because they didn't want to accept paying $60 for a beta key. I played it and it was definitely unique, but didn't light my world on fire. I was stunned at the generic UI.

Trup1aya

I've been trying to clean up my 360 backlog this year, mainly in anticipation of my 60GB 360 eventually kicking the bucket one day (though between Xbox One backwards compatibility and the continued existence of 360s on store shelves, this has become less urgent). Of course, having bought my 360 only about halfway through the generation, there are a bunch of launch titles (or close to) that I missed out on, but have picked up in sales or whatnot. That's how I got myself a copy of Crackdown 2, which I later learned wasn't as good as the first one. So I picked that up in an XBLA sale as well.

Aiming is kind of a pain, seemingly taking a page from Grand Theft Auto 3's lock-on aiming system (or at least I think it is, I played the vast majority of the GTA3 trilogy on PC). When it works, it's fine, though obviously arcade-like in execution. But all too often, it'll lock onto a far away target when you're getting punched by three dudes, or it'll lock onto a car instead of the driver that just got out, or you'll lock onto a person you just killed instead of his buddy exacting revenge. Why the beginning of this generation didn't immediately embrace traditional third-person controls, I don't really know. Did they just not exist back then? I'd be curious to find out why this is.

Your only respawn points are supply caches, which is fine except 1) many of them are really high up, which makes them a pain in the ass to get to and a pain in the ass to get down from, and 2) their placement is occasionally nonsensical. The Volk island is split into two halves, and there are NO SUPPLY CACHES in the northern half. Why? Who thought this was a great idea? Spending a few minutes after every death having to climb down a skyscraper and run across a third of the island just to get back to a boss encounter is incredibly annoying.

Wow, I actually couldnt disagree more... I guess I'll start with the Assassins Creed reference... Or rather the inference that AC handles mobility better... That franchise runs on autopilot... And that's not a good thing when it comes to platforming...

There's a certainly level of accomplishment when you make FINALLY scale a building in Crackdown... In AC, the entire climbing process feels like it should be a cutscene... Because the game is doing everything for you.

As far as hand holds on buildings in Crackdown... There are plenty... It's just that some buildings are impossible to climb until you level your character enough... That's just the progression system at work... And I feel it was executed pretty well...

The aiming mechanic also rewards folks who level their character in that particular area... Earning the ability to target specific limbs and gas tanks made for a fun time...

The campaign is definitely shallow, but I feel like you bashed the parts of the game that were actually done well...

ITT: OP can't fucking aim for a ledge. Needs AC-like magnetic auto edge-grab.

This. Crackdown is one of my favourite games and it's because of the focus on the platforming, most open world games just let you hold up on the stick and you're there before you know it. Having to actually think about your route in regards to your current capability like a traditional platformer is what makes Crackdown stand out.

Admittedly, there is some jank to it, and I don't particularly care for the combat, it's functional at best. The game really shines in its open world exploration and orb hunting. Looking forward to what they're doing with Crackdown on XB1, I agree they need to do a lot more with the shooting/melee experience.

Cars were fun to drive, and the transforming ones were incredible, but I think the vehicles should take a backseat to the Agent's own abilities.

theecakee

You should probably just have skipped the first one, as you said it hasn't aged well. Crackdown 2 is pretty much the same exact game, but looks a little better and has some extra stuff.

blakep267

as people have said, your not supposed to be able to just climb and traverse at will. Yu have to plan out your route. If this building has a huge gap in where I can grab, I probably need to leave and go play some more of the game and get some more agility orbs. Then come back and scale it. Thats why its fun. Slowly seeing your character get stronger and faster then finally becoming a wrecking machine

The first Crackdown is still one of the few sandbox games I've ever been able to really get into. I kept hoping it would get ported to PC. Sequel was a disappointment and hopefully the upcoming game is more like the first.

Crackdown is one of my favorite games of all time. I was excited for it even before it was announced as coming with the Halo 3 beta, and it turned out to be everything I wanted it to be.

Love this game, will continue to love this game.

M52B28

Banned
Its fun but its also pretty bare bones. Not much to do, really.

This was my only problem with Crackdown. The gameplay is fun, but after you do everything in the story, there is absolutely nothing to do. If that game were like 50% larger, it would have been even more of a banger.

I didn't buy the game when it came out so I played the demo, but the core parts of the game were actually pretty fun.

The game would have benefited so much from side missions like Saints Row.

Damn. I don't know where my copy is, but that's the first thing I'm going to fire up when I go home next week. Such a mindlessly fun game. I remember kicking the peacekeepers around and pissing them off from time to time.

Christ... Crackdown + Mirrors Edge gameplay would be insane. First time thinking of that.

Mindlog

IGetting around the world is incredibly painful, for example. Minor innovations introduced in franchises like Infamous or Assassin's Creed have greatly improved the basic act of climbing the side of a building. Crackdown feels like an early prototype of those same systems.
I categorically disagree with this sentiment. Crackdown struck a lovely balance between ease of obstacle negotiation and pure autopilot. The most recent Infamous was a giant step backwards in what I want out of super-powered open world travel. I like it when the world feels like a giant platformer and for me Crackdown hit that mark. Beyond that power interaction with the world needs to feel designed. In Crackdown my path would change from building to building depending on my agility level. This was clearly designed as demonstrated by the agility races. In Assassin's Creed it's all holding up until you've remembered how to hold up further. Second Son was a mess with no decent path between your power interaction points turning open world travel into some occasionally amusing acceleration in between a lot of holding up.
It requires a bit of skill and that's why it's so much better than the shitty parkour in AC games (which I dislike exactly because of how great CD was). You don't simply hold down a button and run up buildings but need to platform. Superior in terms of this aspect of gameplay to all the copycats, from AC to Infamous, even if it's a bit janky sometimes. The one button no-skill no-effort climbing in those games felt pretty pathetic after CD. Overall those are completely different games and AC does do a few things well, just not the platforming. The orb chases in 2 were really cool too. So no, what CD focuses on, it still does much better than the new stuff.
Happy to see the sentiment expressed a few times.

a.wd

I think you may need to spend some more time in this game. The leveling system and boss system were exactly what I want to this day. Where attacking one boss will change as an encounter based on how much of their support infrastructure you have taken down.

And the controls especially for things like shooting are amazing, Say good bye to your leg fucker...wait for it ....boom.

Dalto11

As of today I still cannot get all the Agility Orbs.

Man the last eluded me for months. I pulled up a map and checked everywhere listed and could not find it still. Then one day I decided to try searching it again. And I found it within a few minutes of running around. It was ona low level building atop its sign, right in plain sight. I know I had checked there before and either I somehow missed it or it moved to a different location.

All this talk of driving. I remember trying to drive once, said screw this and went back to orb hunting. Really the reason the game was fun was the open world sandbox for orb hunting. The missions weren't great, nothing else was all that spectacular but the jumping and powering up was so rewarding. By the end you're so OP that it overcomes the games shortcomings in enemies, gunplay and mission structure

While the agency cars are cool, and they're nice for getting around when you're at low agility, once you've gotten enough of those little green orbs of AMAZINGNESS, I don't see the point in driving at all. Just superjump everywhere.

Top Bottom