• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French police shoots man to save his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

Link to vid

Suicidal man was going to kill himself so a French police officer shot him in the leg to prevent him doing so.

Also the chest cam at the end? feels...

Shoot me in the leg if old

Zaptruder

Banned
Amazing. American cops would've shot the man dead so that he stops posing a risk to himself.

The thinking patterns is as follows:

Man with gun. Is dangerous. Shoot to kill.

And it's such a reliable thought pattern that 'suicide by cop' is a common and accepted methodology of suicide in America. All you have to do is act a little crazy in front of a cop and you'll stand a good chance of been killed by them.

Ark

Amazing. American cops would've shot the man dead so that he stops posing a risk to himself.

The thinking patterns is as follows:

Man with gun. Is dangerous. Shoot to kill.

And it's such a reliable thought pattern that 'suicide by cop' is a common and accepted methodology of suicide in America. All you have to do is act a little crazy in front of a cop and you'll stand a good chance of been killed by them.

Whelp, that didn't take long.

--

Amazing shot.

Omni

Seemed like a bit of a risky shot, no?

I'm not sure I'd have taken it. But then again I've never shot a gun, nonetheless one like that, so I dunno how accurate you can be.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why are they stopping him?

What? Of course they have to stop him. Their job is to protect people, even those who are drunk/under influence, or delusional, who had tough life, who believe they cannot continue living on for whatever reason...

sfedai0

Banned
Seems like he probably wanted some intervention by stepping out in view to commit suicide. Not sure they had to use live ammunition though. Dont the French have non lethal methods?

Not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully his suicidal urge was just temporary and he will benefit from this, but if this was something he was committed to doing then all the police have done is increased his pain and suffering while delaying the inevitable.

I guess it's not easy to make judgements about another person's life and choices in the spur of the moment.

Why does mr cop think he can make personal decisions for this man?
its shocking to know that some people are not mentally fit to make personal decisions for themselves. Its not like the dude was is some medical condition where there is no hope for cure and suicide might be the best thing to stop further suffering.

diaspora

its shocking that some people are not mentally fit to make personal decisions for themselves. Its not like the dude was is some medical condition where there is no hope for cure and suicide might be the best thing to stop further suffering.

That doesn't excuse someone else interfering. If someone wants to go, they should be able to go, mental issues or otherwise.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Couldn't he just shoot himself in the face after he got shot in the leg? Seems like if he really was going to kill himself, being shot in the leg would solidify that decision.

SmokyDave

That doesn't excuse someone else interfering. If someone wants to go, they should be able to go, mental issues or otherwise.
Then legalise euthanasia. You still shouldn't let some dude blow his brains out with his screaming wife ten feet away.

I didn't watch anything. I don't want to see a man get shot.

I'm glad I live in a country where you have control of your own life.
You don't. You might think you do, but I'll guarantee you don't.

I was told this was impossible..who knew!?

That shot is...it isn't impossible, but very few people are going to be able to make that.

Seems like he probably wanted some intervention by stepping out in view to commit suicide. Not sure they had to use live ammunition though. Dont the French have non lethal methods?

...what are we doing?

It's insane. Iron sights from a building away under pressure. Wow.

That's some specialized marksman shit. You don't take that shot unless you know you can nail it

Mimosa97

Yes we do but what kind of non-lethal method do you want them to use from afar ? This isn't metal gear.

A taser or a flashball are useless from such a distance, plus they were afraid he would shoot himself if they showed up.

diaspora

What does this even mean??

I've had/have suicidal thoughts. Practically speaking there's no sure-fire way to actually do it without risking failure like jumping off a roof and leaving with a broken ankle. Yet I've got a reasonably good control of my faculties.

Uhhh shooting themselves in front of their wife and kids? Ok bro
Then legalise euthanasia. You still shouldn't let some dude blow his brains out with his screaming wife ten feet away.

So get them out of there, stopping him is just wrong.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I didn't watch anything. I don't want to see a man get shot.

I'm glad I live in a country where you have control of your own life.

so if you happen to see some guy with his head laying on a rail track, waiting for the train to dismember him, you stand there and wait until he's dead

ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom