• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Parasite' star Lee Sun-kyun commits suicide amid marijuana scandal

Mesousa

Banned
A man took his life over this but hey they got clean cities! Wtf is wrong with you?
Why he took his life is speculation until(if) Jeon releases what he said in the suicide letter he left her.

What we DO know is that Seoul is a city that doesnt tolerate what we have to in places where drug use isnt as stigmatized, and that Korea also has a problem with suicide.

lachesis

His public image went down to the drains with all that back and forth with the hostess lady and the released recordings, police investigations etc - and as an actor, which is considered a "public figure" - general public tend to put them on much higher moral standard - because they are rich, famous and influential. And those who steer away from that standard gets blamed quite harshly. It probably felt like public execution/people's court decision for that guy - and that's one of the dark side of Korean mentality - highly developed small country, same ethnic group with similar values.

Mesousa

Banned
His public image went down to the drains with all that back and forth with the hostess lady and the released recordings, police investigations etc - and as an actor, which is considered a "public figure" - general public tend to put them on much higher moral standard - because they are rich, famous and influential. And those who steer away from that standard gets blamed quite harshly. It probably felt like public execution/people's court decision for that guy - and that's one of the dark side of Korean mentality - highly developed small country, same ethnic group with similar values.
Exactly.

For people who act like it was JUST the drugs are being obtuse.

Man was outed for pretty much having a mistress decades his junior. His image was ruined before you even bring in the drugs.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why he took his life is speculation until(if) Jeon releases what he said in the suicide letter he left her.

What we DO know is that Seoul is a city that doesnt tolerate what we have to in places where drug use isnt as stigmatized, and that Korea also has a problem with suicide.
Wow, you're doubling down. Their suicide rate is the WORST but hey clean cities right?

Mesousa

Banned
A popular, handsome, rich movie star had a mistress?! No one could've seen that coming.
I mean its common sense here, but he had a pretty "Clean" image in Korea. Its like when folks lost their mind about Tiger Woods getting some strange on the side lol.

Wow, you're doubling down. Their suicide rate is the WORST but hey clean cities right?
I mean that is a fact, but so is what I said. Seoul IS clean and safe. They also have the highest suicide rate.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not insane when you realized Drugs was used to pretty much break places there(Like China for example).

The shame culture is harsh, but the results speak for themselves. Seoul is insanely clean and safe for the amount of people who live there. While over here in a major city you can barely take the subway without some junkie screaming at folks.

Yup. The alternative.

To show a small selection.

A man took his life over this but hey they got clean cities! Wtf is wrong with you?

Drugs can wreck the lives of the individual, condemning them to the gutter and trapped in a living hell, the lives of their kids, families and can leave a family in the gutter for generations (then the petty and violent crime it causes is another problem in itself). Not once in my time in Japan or South Korea did I see people reduced to such a sorry state with their dignity stripped away, like those you can see in the short snippets posted above.

We also don't have any details to the exact reasons he took his life. It's very sad regardless and Korea has problems to work out, but at least its not tens of thousands of fentanyl and heroin addicts dying amongst the public on the streets every year - in some of the most affluent areas in the entire world.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I mean its common sense here, but he had a pretty "Clean" image in Korea. Its like when folks lost their mind about Tiger Woods getting some strange on the side lol.

I mean that is a fact, but so is what I said. Seoul IS clean and safe. They also have the highest suicide rate.
You're coming across as an apologist and it's not a good look. "Yeah he killed himself but hey they have clean cities" how is that relevant?

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So
Yup. The alternative.

To show a small selection.

Drugs can wreck the lives of the individual, the lives of their kids, families and can leave a family in the gutter for generations. Not once n my time in Japan or South Korea did I see people reduced to that such as sorry state with their dignity stripped away, like those you can see in the short snippets posted above.

We also don't have any details to the exact reasons he took his life. It's very sad regardless and Korea has problems to work out, but at least its not tens of thousands of fentanyl and heroin addicts dying amongst the public on the streets every year.

So shaming people into unaliving themselves over drug use is the answer? This isn't sports you're not rooting for a team. A couple of you are awfully defensive of Korea. I get it K-pop

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

So
So shaming people into unaliving themselves over drug use is the answer? This isn't sports you're not rooting for a team. A couple of you are awfully defensive of Korea. I get it K-pop
I think Kpop/Jpop is trash if you're so interested. You seem very hot headed.

I'm just giving a defence for vast swathes of East Asia adopting a zero-tolerance stance on drugs, which some in this thread have suggested is the reason why this poor guy took his own life (with no evidence for that) and attacked it whilst not looking at the impact liberal drug policies are having in their own countries. There's a reason they adopt zero-tolerance and having lived in East Asia, the US and being from the UK I have felt the difference in how alternative stances on drugs have impacted the social fabric in these countries. I'm no expert, but feel confident enough in suggesting that zero tolerance is overall a net good for society. I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not insane when you realized Drugs was used to pretty much break places there(Like China for example).

The shame culture is harsh, but the results speak for themselves. Seoul is insanely clean and safe for the amount of people who live there. While over here in a major city you can barely take the subway without some junkie screaming at folks.

Is the cleanliness and safety due in Seoul primarily to their narcotics policy? Is the screaming junkie problem here primarily due to our narcotics policy?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
snoop dogg smoking GIF

Thats fucked up.

KrakenIPA

Is the cleanliness and safety due in Seoul primarily to their narcotics policy? Is the screaming junkie problem here primarily due to our narcotics policy?
Its sounds like 1950s chicago when the mystery and lawfullness of the use of the herb effected everyday situations. Reefer Madness along with drones equipped with facial recognition is a scary concept.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you got a high profile career in a country where drugs are a giant no-no, then dont do it.

I'm no druggie, but I'd be more concerned about drowning in a bathtub or jacuzzi, but looks like the guy got intertwined with some shady chick to boot making it worse.

Dont do drugs folks.

JonSnowball

Drugs can wreck the lives of the individual, condemning them to the gutter and trapped in a living hell, the lives of their kids, families and can leave a family in the gutter for generations (then the petty and violent crime it causes is another problem in itself). Not once in my time in Japan or South Korea did I see people reduced to such a sorry state with their dignity stripped away, like those you can see in the short snippets posted above.
Come over and smoke a joint. I'll order some food, we'll get a little high, then we'll play Mario Kart while physically beating each other with a large phallic object.

Tams

Well...

And yes, this happens a lot in SK...

Not surprised at all.

South Korea and Japan are very similar in this regard. The media are not free at all and almost all will willingly do whatever they are told.

SK is probably a decade behind Japan in terms of criticism of powerful people being acceptable, who are probably three to four decades behind most of the 'West'.

near

Gold Member
Many actors in the South Korean entertainment attended he's funeral along with Parasite director Bong Joon-ho, which was held today.

He's last message left to he's family and management agency read, "I'm sorry. This is the only way". This same note alluded to the number of penalties he would have to pay for breaching he's film and advertisement contracts. It was estimated that the size of the penalty he faced would amount to 10 billion won ($7.75 million).

The criminal case against him is now obviously closed.

ZSTXpzD.jpg

Tams

Seoul looks pretty clean, but just don't look to hard.

Busan stinks of sewage.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Many actors in the South Korean entertainment attended he's funeral along with Parasite director Bong Joon-ho, which was held today.

He's last message left to he's family and management agency read, "I'm sorry. This is the only way". This same note alluded to the number of penalties he would have to pay for breaching he's film and advertisement contracts. It was estimated that the size of the penalty he faced would amount to 10 billion won ($7.75 million).

The criminal case against him is now obviously closed.

ZSTXpzD.jpg

The contractual breaches would’ve devastated him financially, then…

near

Gold Member
The contractual breaches would’ve devastated him financially, then…
I would imagine so, not entirely sure how well Korean actors are paid. But it's a fair guess to assume even the most well known one's over there wouldn't just have that sort of money sitting there in a bank account. It would've also directly impacted he's wife, who had also shared some of those contractual obligations. He must've felt like he's whole life was falling part.

Cyberpunkd

SK gonna be a dumpster fire of a country it always was, yet somehow they claim moral superiority over the North (which they abuse a lot if they manage to escape).

Last edited:

Tams

RIP, Insane social pressure has other side effects as well:
* https://time.com/6488894/south-korea-low-fertility-rate-trend-decline/

No way to plug that, even mass immigration (would need a mid 2010s syrian refugee level migration every year... forever). Need to evolve or their society will eventually disappear.

They'll sort it out eventually.

Mass immigration would inevitably lead to race riots. I'm pretty sure you need an authoritarian government like Singapore to have any real chance of a very diverse society working.

LordOfChaos

TF man. Marijuana is legal here in Canada and you can't walk a few blocks without smelling someone using it, totally fine and hasn't caused any problems. To be hounded and commit suicide for that? I know there were unspecified "other drugs" involved, but I assume that's kind of Hollywood standard, South Korea sounds like a whole different, well, drug.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This is mind boggling and disgusting.
I enjoyed him in the series "My Mister" & "Diary of a prosecutor" on Netflix.
He had a kind face.

Top Bottom