• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion's Cyrodil is one of the most unique RPG settings ever

anvil-vanilla-xbox.jpg

Complaints about character tropes in Western RPGs aren't hard to come by, it's no secret that people are sick of Chosen One MCs searching for magical MacGuffins to defeat evil tyrant #37645. But what I've seen far less of are complaints about the settings modern WRPGs often take place in: Dangerous, war-ravaged lands with a desperate populace and very evident threats.

Let's look at a large number of the big WRPGs of the past decade, at the start of their main quests:

Skyrim- Divided by massive civil war, populace is very on-edge, rumors of dragons returning to destroy the world.

Borderlands- Hostile alien planet where very few outposts can escape the wrath of endless bandits and beasts.

Fallout 3- Post-apocalyptic wasteland largely populated by mutants and raiders.

New Vegas- Post-apocalyptic wasteland torn apart by warring factions and anarchists.

The Witcher 3- Kingdom devastated by war with conquering empire.

Dragon Age: Origins- Kingdom struggling to stave off hordes of subterranean demons.

Kingdoms of Amalur- World ravaged by elven holy war.

Others- Dead Island's zombies, Dishonored's plague, Bastion's calamity, Transistor's process, XCOM's alien invasion, Dust's racial genocide, Mass Effect's Reapers, Gothic 3's war with Orcs, etc.

And then there's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a game considered by many fans to be the worst of the franchise. What sets Oblivion's setting apart for me? At the start of the main quest, Cyrodiil is a very prosperous and carefree society with very few apparent struggles. Citizens have minor gripes, certain groups feel oppressed in certain locales, but it actually seems like it would be a decent universe to inhabit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sure, there are bandits roaming the roads and beasts haunting the woods, but most of Cyrodiil's strife lies below the surface; horrific betrayals buried within the dark secrets of guilds, torture conducted in hidden dungeons, cult sleeper agents intermingled with the general populace. There's an element of subtlety and detective work needed to root out the true sources of danger in Cyrodiil that war-torn, dragon and demon infested locales lack.

Even as the Emperor lies dead, the Daedric invasion begins and Oblivion Gates open up all over the land, citizens remain somewhat aloof and ignorant of the threats lurking outside of their city walls. They aren't used to confronting real danger like Skyrim's Nords, or being victimized like Witcher's peasants, so they assume someone else will take care of it and the status quo will be maintained.

Oblivion may have left a lot to be desired in terms of environment variety and questing depth, but it still gave us a setting that was unique in its prosperity and splendor. A place that is as intriguing to protect as it is to destroy, Cyrodiil is not a land of strife and siege, but one of subtle corruption and conspiracy. As the genre is further refined and technology allows for more complex worlds, visiting more flourishing kingdoms like Cyrodiil would be a welcome change of pace from the traditional world-engulfing, in-your-face doom and gloom.

Oh, and Hackdirt was awesome.

maxresdefault.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wat? It's as generic faux-Medieval western Europe/England as you can get. It even shares a series with Morrowind, which is significantly more unique.

Ogimachi

There's absolutely nothing unique about it.

What sets Oblivion's setting apart for me? At the start of the main quest, Cyrodiil is a very prosperous and carefree society with very few apparent struggles. Citizens have minor gripes, certain groups feel oppressed in certain locales, but it actually seems like it would be a decent universe to inhabit.

Was it your first RPG? Even Morrowind was more unique, let alone the rest of the genre.

Zophar

Wat? It's as generic faux-Medieval western Europe/England as you can get. It even shares a series with Morrowind, which is significantly more unique.

The whole point of the OP is its "generic" qualities are in fact what makes it unique, in a genre plagued with tryhards.

Jigorath

Banned
No offense OP but you made a pretty weak case here. It's a great setting because it has corruption? That's a pretty normal thing for RPGs.

UraMallas

I honestly can't think of a less unique world.

The whole point of the OP is its "generic" qualities are in fact what makes it unique, in a genre plagued with tryhards.

I get that but it doesn't hold water for me. It feels very tryhard to me and I love Oblivion.

SkyOdin

I hope you realize that "most unique RPG settings ever" is a very, very high bar to reach. There are a lot of downright crazy or bizarre RPG settings out there. Just looking at classic D&D settings gets you Planescape or Spelljammer, and Japanese RPGs have created a ton of imaginative or weird settings. To be honest, "Roman Empire gets invaded by demons" ranks pretty low of the list of crazy things I've seen in RPGs.

Not really. If the point is that the world feels peaceful and believable before all of the craziness starts, that is hardly strange or rare.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I agree with OP. I loved how "normal" it felt.

Of course there's the gimmick of oblivion gates, but aside from those I didn't feel that there were things being forced on me all the time. The world just 'is'.

Plus the color palette and music really completed the package.

I mean, it's considerably less varied in geography than Morrowind, the game that directly preceded it!

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about some form of prosperity as a thing that makes the game unique? Is this a troll post, because you know most people would knee jerk to this silly thread?

SparkTR

Wat. Oblivion got a lot of flak at release because it's setting was a generic tolkine-esque fantasy trope. Especially after Morrowind, which actually was unique and outlandish. You're reasoning and arguements don't really do much to explain why it wasn't. Those themes have been in many cRPGs over the years, many of which were set in generic fantasy settings.

Tookay

... I don't think I could disagree more.

Oblivion is like the posterchild for generic western medieval fantasy setting, from your standard medieval trappings to the resurgent demon forces invading the world.

And if your argument is that it's generic aspects make it unique, that makes it all the more baffling.

Oblivion tried to make things interesting with the extraplanar focus of the game, but they refused to go whole hog with the bizzare and alien like they did with Morrrowind and the game world just feels bland.

Tyrus

Banned
I loved the setting of the Imperial City and the differences between places like Bruma, Cheyhindal and Skingrad, but I don't necessarily agree Cyrodiil is the most unique of RPG settings.

Wandering around Cyrodiil still gives me nightmares when you're Level 15+ and those Land Dreughs just come out nowhere and attack you. Yehckkkk.

LandDreugh.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
OP you have made a good case and I personally adored the world.

Also guys really no need to run him up over the meat grinder for having an opinion. he made a compelling case and outlined his reasoning even if you don't outright agree at least try to address his points instead of outright dismissing him.

Op I think the word you are looking for though is not unique but maybe Intriguing? Realized? Inviting?

CHC

I get what you're saying about it being a largely prosperous society with all the bad shit going on hidden from view, but..... can't really agree on it being "one of the most unique" given that it was the sequel to Morrowind, which (along with Planescape) is probably the truly deserving recipient of the "most unique" honor.

Good OP and interesting perspective but I still have terrible memories of Oblivion and its mind-numbingly boring world, sorry.

Daingurse

I enjoyed Oblivion, but don't think the setting was all that unique. Compared to Morrowind the game does have that generic Tolkien fantasy feel. I don't mind it, but it doesn't make the game stand out as unique for me. When I think of unique settings in an RPG, I think of something like Planescape: Torment for example. Sigil alone was extremely interesting and unique.

Head.spawn

Oblivion is terrible... You should feel bad for ever liking anything about it at all. Compared to the rest of the franchise, the only redeemable factor is the DLC, and we lucked out there considering this is the game that introduced horse armor DLC to the world.

Cyrodill was a let down.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't know if I'd call it unique for the reasons you described, but those reasons are why I love it. It's so homey. No other open world RPG has a setting that I would actually want to live in.

I do think that Cyrodill has little touches that make it more than just a generic medieval fantasy world though. Like the ayleid ruins.

Oblivion is terrible... You should feel bad for ever liking anything about it at all. Compared to the rest of the franchise, the only redeemable factor is the DLC, and we lucked out there considering this is the game that introduced horse armor DLC to the world.

Uh... Seriously? Just because someone enjoyed something you and a handful of people didn't like shouldn't make them feel bad.

Lunar15

What? No. Not even close.

Try the game before it.

And are we counting JRPG's, because even though those are riddled with their own cliches, unique settings is one strength. How about an RPG in modern, rural japan!

Also, it being unique because the world isn't aware of the evil within it is actually one of the things I hate about the game. There's no impact in that world. Absolutely zero stakes at any point. It's also not unique to Oblivion.

Nesther

Cyrodill was being called generic back then, I always agreed and I I still share that sentiment today. Especially compared to Morrowind.

And damn, visually it has not aged well, at all.

Teuoxton

Oblivion reminded me too much of WoW when I tried it. At least Skyrim had that infusion of Norse culture to keep it fresh.

So many games try to go for the High Fantasy setting to be like DnD, but few make it into anything worthwhile to me. So many series rely on the same source ideas as Oblivion: Final Fantasy was steeped in Western High Fantasy upon inception, and DnD itself sprung from LotR.

I just tire of generic fantasy stuff now.

Erevador

Interesting to hear a different opinion on this, but I can't agree.

I think Morrowind did everything that Oblivion does... and so much more

tumblr_nhmcz2ZD3q1tq539io5_1280.gif

tumblr_nd057e4XXG1tq539io6_1280.gif

tumblr_nd04h025vv1tq539io5_1280.gif

Morrowind has all of the depth and detail that you mentioned, as well as much more varied environments.

Cities like Balmora and Vivec have a complex internal structure that makes them feel like living places that really function. Likewise, the smaller settlements all seem to serve a specific purpose. One really gets a sense of just how the Morrowind economy works.

All of this is on top of a vast wilderness that is equally well drawn, and much more varied than Oblivion.

SkyOdin

OP you have made a good case and I personally adored the world.

Also guys really no need to run him up over it he mad a compelling case even if you don't outright agree at least try to address his points instead of outright dismissing him.

It isn't a very good case at all. The OP's basic argument is that most RPGs are set in devastated settings, while in contrast to that Cyrodil is a prosperous and peaceful setting prior to hell being unleashed. But that premise is wrong: a peaceful and prosperous world that is then plunged into chaos by an unexpected thread is an extremely common set-up for RPGs. Look at games like Dragon Quest 4 or 9, FInal Fantasy 5 or 8, Breath of Fire 2, or Romancing SaGa. This is just a sample list of RPGs that focused on threats that exist squarely in the present or future with otherwise peaceful pasts.

If you want an example of an RPG that is really unique in these terms, then you can look at Breath of Fire 3. That's an RPG where the world is perfectly peaceful for the entire game. It is never threatened by a huge disaster or war or invading horde of demons or anything. In fact, the plot of the game involves the heroes ultimately doing something that may threaten that peace sometime in the distant future. It is a game where beating the final boss makes the future more uncertain than it was during the course of the game. That is far more unique than "the world is peaceful for five minutes until demons invade".

Cyrodill was a let down.
Serious with this shit?

Matty77

Ehh. It's pretty generic in most aspects, even the prosperity has been overdone in that setting, maybe not in videogames specifically, but "idyllic kingdom threatened by dark forces" is a trope for a reason.

Now Morrowind yes, both the land itself and its society. Still one of my favorite RPGs just because it's not the standard thing.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Even upon reading the OP, it doesn't really make sense. Setting is innately tied into one's experience in a game like this and Cyrodil is the most generic Elder Scrolls setting. Also, Cyrodil was far from idyllic. Oblivion portals were being opened up all over and towns were getting decimated. Also, the mutant, blood hungry bears.

Syraxith

The only more generic high fantasy setting than Cyrodiil in TES would be Daggerfall. Hell it even had witch covens and Orc warrior bands roaming around.

That being said, Daggerfall was more believable due to the fact that almost each separate kingdom was a faction you could complete quests for (to the detriment of other political factions).

I'd be totally fine with another main line TES game set in Daggerfall.

JediLink

OP, I can think of a game where common denizens of the world include 2D anthropomorphic cartoon bombs with Russian accents. I really don't think Cyrodill is one of the unique RPG settings ever.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Even upon reading the OP, it doesn't really make sense. Setting is innately tied into one's experience in a game like this and Cyrodil is the most generic Elder Scrolls setting. Also, Cyrodil was far from idyllic. Oblivion portals were being opened up all over and towns were getting decimated. Also, the mutant, blood hungry bears.

Uh... you sure you aren't thinking of Fallout?

Yasae

Banned
I liked it, and town architecture was reasonably unique, but nah.

And if we really wanted to be here all day we'd talk dungeon variety.

Faustek

meh, it was to modern. All the peasant standing around with a thumb up their ass assuming someone else will do everything. Meh.

Anyway, no OP I don't really see it that way, now I don't really remember the game, I actually only finished it once(and very quickly) since it felt so bland compared to Morrowind but the whole world felt kinda, unfinished. Not polished as they had said "good enough" and just threw it out there. But hey! Cool that you really like it.

Cyrodill was a let down.
Can we stop with this shit, please?

I really liked Oblivion, but can't really agree with you OP. Which is a shame since the way Cyrodill is described in previous games makes it sound way more interesting than it turned out to be.

Cyrodill was a let down.

I liked Shivering Isles more than everything in Skyrim.
gross.gif

Morrowind is one of the best and most amazing societies in an RPG. When they made the Skyrim dlc for it, I cried tears of joy.

Yeah, unique in that the combat was trash. Chance-based combat is always horrible. I love Oblivion and Skyrim but can't stand the combat in Morrowind.
The lore in both Skyrim and Oblivion together still can't rival all the shit they put into Morrowind.

Top Bottom