• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Patapon series, or holy SHIT these games are fucking awesome

4225185-patapon-game-HD.jpg

I am currently playing through the second Patapon game on my Vita. It is crazy how these games went under the radar for me. I guess it's because they were PSP games. But MAN. Holy shit, seriously. These fucking games. Just everything about them is slick and polished and fun and happy and addictive. I was seriously blown away.

For those who don't know, the Patapon games are rhythm games in which you control, through music, these small black and white intelligent beings who worship you (the player) as God. There is a story, progression and RPG elements. By going through story missions or hunts, you acquire materials that enable you to make equipment for your army and even create higher-level soldiers. You take this army and fight through an enemy faction that is trying to block your way to Earthend, some sort of promised land in which your worshipers believe.

I will say that I have been surprised by how more developed than I thought the story was. The second game is a direct continuation of the first one and it even lets you import your save, which lets you keep all of the materials you have acquired so you can rebuild your army more quickly. The second game also introduces multiplayer, although I have not tried it yet. I'm not sure if I could though; I would be surprised if people were still playing this. But if anyone on Gaf would like to try it with me, that would be cool.

Anyways, if you have a PSP or a Vita, you should do yourself a favor and buy these games. Seriously, they are top-tier. I wish Sony would do another one either for the Vita or PS4. I'm sure it would sell more on the latter platform than it would have on either the Vita or PSP.

Also, get out of the way, Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door: someone just dethroned you in the Best Title Screen Music category.

Sony needs to make a Patapon HD collection for Vita (and PS4 I guess). Dropped the ball on no Patapon 4 on Vita. I can't imagine these game cost a lot. Gah, these are great games and wish Sony would have continued them.

I'm sure it is. I suck at Rhythm games so I can't really enjoy it. Happy for those that can.

Have you tried these ones though ? They are very simple. You only have three four-note commands to give to your guys. There are even white lines flashing in rhythm on the border of the screen to help you stay in rhythm. I'm not particularly great at rhythm games too, but I am having an easy time with these. They're great.

On another train of thought, I have a question for you guys: does the DLC for the third game work on the Vita ? The PS Store displays only "PSP" for the compatible platforms, unlike "PSP and Vita" for the game itself.

Pata-Pon-Don-Chaka

I grabbed the first one for PSP on a whim, and proceeded to love the entire series. It's a real shame it hasn't continued, but I'm also happy enough with the three we have.

You might try Jungle Rumble. It's on sale, I believe.

SerTapTap

Patapon is truly fantastic, especially 2. How we never got one for Vita (and a loco roco) is beyond me. Really wish Sony would focus more on games like this for Vita/PS4. I'd take several smaller-budget Loco Rocos and patapons over one big whatever for sure.

I forgot to say: demos are available for both the first and second game, if anyone wants to try them before paying any money. The PS Store lists the demo of the second game as being compatible with the Vita. Try it, seriously.

One of few HD remakes I'd gladly see on PS4. Would give the series a second chance at success.

I cannot even imagine how beautiful these games would be in full 1080p on my big TV. MAN. The world is cruel. Maybe we could tweet some of the Sony guys ? Alright, I'm totally tweeting Adam Boyes.

May I ask how did you fare in the desert area of the first game? The one with the rain dance.

It's been a while since I played the first game, but I remember having a bit of trouble. The trick that helped me was just spamming the rain miracle more often than required to make sure my army never lost HP to the heat.

They are amazing, found Patapon 3 to be the best despite being much more grindy and no armies.

Bloody shame patapon 4 never made it to Vita,

Camwi

Sony needs to make a Patapon HD collection for Vita (and PS4 I guess). Dropped the ball on no Patapon 4 on Vita. I can't imagine these game cost a lot. Gah, these are great games and wish Sony would have continued them.

Yes please, or just a new game. I'd gladly play through the old ones again for some hot Trophy action.

I love the games.
I just recently rebought it on my Vita and loved every second I put into it for now.

The rhythm mechanics in this game are awesome and I'm really said we will not see a Patapon 4 for a very long time if at all :(

It's the first game that I played years ago that my dad vocally yelled at me to turn it off or wear headphones >_<

Patapon 2 is the peak of the series though. While 3 is still good, it takes alot of the charm and what made it good and trys to convert it to a monster hunter style game which worked against it.

The big thing many fans have been asking for is a Patapon HD console game. It makes sense honestly even if it were an updated port.

Patapon 2 is in my holy trinity of games along with Shadow of the Colossus and MGS3 - I consider it superior to every single other game. It is, in my opinion, perfect. I am a huge fan of this series and would go to great lengths and do terrible things to bring it back.

3 was a step in the wrong direction by switching to single-hero squads instead of the full armies of the first two games. I developed a real attachment to my pons in the second game in particular, building and leveling up each on individually. I would actually be pretty interested in a hardcore permadeath mode for true badasses.

The game is just the perfect blend of rhythm, strategy, and RPG. The art style was perfect. The humor was great. The music was always charming and the Patapons are among my favorite character designs in all of gaming. They also looked really good translated into 3D for PlayStation All-Stars.

latest

Haha I can't really fault Sony. They made three entries of a series that never really sold incredibly well. More than is expected of them.
I think they were actually consistent commercial successes.

Yes please, or just a new game. I'd gladly play through the old ones again for some hot Trophy action.

I would replay the games on PS4 just to experience them in HD, but trophies would be icing on the cake.

Maybe we should ask @yosp to make trilogy HD remaster for PS4 :p

I just did. :)

I really wanted to like these games but I couldn't make it past the second level or battle or whatever.

Keep trying! It will "click" sooner rather than later. You'll see.

Jigorath

Banned
Sony should consider doing another Patapon on mobile. It'd probably be a much bigger seller than one on Vita or PS4. And I'd love having Patapon on my phone.

SerTapTap

I really wanted to like these games but I couldn't make it past the second level or battle or whatever.

In Patapon 1? Do not play Patapon 1. Play Patapon 2 and play on Easy if you have trouble with the drum timing. Patapon 1 has extreme difficulty problems and way less content

Sony should consider doing another Patapon on mobile. It'd probably be a much bigger seller than one on Vita or PS4. And I'd love having Patapon on my phone.

Jesus, with the input lag every single mobile device has? Perfect timing can be hard enough on an input-lag free Vita or PSP

NeoFaff

In Patapon 1? Do not play Patapon 1. Play Patapon 2 and play on Easy if you have trouble with the drum timing. Patapon 1 has extreme difficulty problems and way less content
Yeah it was Patapon 1. I didn't bother with 2 after my abysmal efforts in 1. If I can find my psp I'll buy 2 off ebay :)

18-Volt

Yep... Patapon and Wipeout being dead is something I'll never understand.

It's Sony's annoying philosophy. "Past is past let's look out for the future". Every gen there are new IP's and they kill the old ones. It's been 15 years but I still can't believe they let Universal to have the Crash & Spyro franchises. Sony must be the one with the most dead and abandoned franchises among all publishers.

KodaRuss

I have been meaning to buy these for my Vita but the wifi on my Vita is messed up and i just have not taken the time to call Sony to get it fixed.

I loved these games on the PSP though. Really lot of charm.

It's Sony's annoying philosophy. "Past is past let's look out for the future". Every gen there are new IP's and they kill the old ones. It's been 15 years but I still can't believe they let Universal to have the Crash & Spyro franchises. Sony must be the one with the most dead and abandoned franchises among all publishers.

They definitely are. There dozens of quality IPs they've left in the dust after just two or three great games. It's great that they always strive for new stuff but I can't help missing the old stuff too. It's their greatest strength, but still a real heartbreaker sometimes.

Indeed they are amazing, love this series. Quick, someone throw up the GameOverGreggy beacon!

Came here to summon Greg Miller as well! He's talked to Shu on many occasions about a Patapon Collection or a new game. Maybe we can get him to do one of his mass tweets to Gio Corsi on Colin and Greg Live today

I haven't played the third game yet, but I really love the first two. I spent far too much time on leveling up the bosses by fighting them over and over again.

SerTapTap

Yeah it was Patapon 1. I didn't bother with 2 after my abysmal efforts in 1. If I can find my psp I'll buy 2 off ebay :)

IIRC all the games at retail are very cheap on amazon and such. My recommended playing order would be 2, 3 and 1, playing only 2 is entirely valid but 3 is enjoyable with new things--but it doesn't entirely work out. 1 is fairly bare bones and is mostly interesting as a brutal challenge for people very good at timing, maybe after beating the other two it's more bearable. I love the series but I still never beat 1.

I haven't played the third game yet, but I really love the first two. I spent far too much time on leveling up the bosses by fighting them over and over again.

You should, its the best in the series, to me at least.

I couldn't even go back to 2 after playing it, surprising to me when I thought patapon 2 couldn't be topped.

Does the 3rd even work on Vita yet? I know 2 years ago when I checked 3 was still not a game that worked on Vita.

But back to this game, it is amazing and everyone should get them.

They were all too hard for me to beat. But I loved them until I eventually got to a boss that forced me to attack and dodge in patterns that just didn't seem possible at the rythm the song was going.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want someone to hack it so you can play it with either the taiko drums from Taiko no Tatsujin, or the Donkey Konga bongos.

You should, its the best in the series, to me at least.

I can't even go back to 2 after playing it, surprising to me when I thought patapon 2 couldn't be topped.

I'm hopefully going to work abroad for a couple of months later this year and won't have access to my PS4. That's a good chance to get some quality time with my PSP. Then I'm going to really sink my teeth into Patapon 3 or Half-minute Hero.

Man, the PSP library was so great.

Top Bottom