• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy shit PSVR is amazing

Romulus

It’s the most comfortable design for VR. I love VR, but the tech is still 4-5 years away from being mass consumer. Need better refresh, fully wireless, more comfortable (under 200 grams).

Quest 2 sold 20 million in 2 years. Thats Xbox series numbers.

I don't think being slightly lighter or 30hz more refresh are roadblocks. Mainstream just wants the games.

I've been playing Titanfall 2 in vorpx on quest 3 and it goddamm amazing. The vr industry needs more of that, without the setup shit I needed to go through.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is how everyone feels when they try vr.....tell me how much you have played after a year lol
Over the one year mark with my Quest 2 and it still gets played all the time by me and my kids. For any kind of sim stuff it is honestly hard to go back.
Quest 2 sold 20 million in 2 years. Thats Xbox series numbers.

I don't think being slightly lighter or 30hz more refresh are roadblocks. Mainstream just wants the games.

I've been playing Titanfall 2 in vorpx on quest 3 and it goddamm amazing. The vr industry needs more of that, without the setup shit I needed to go through.
A 120Hz refresh rate is fine, don't think that is anyway a limiting factor.

Last edited:

sendit

Over the one year mark with my Quest 2 and it still gets played all the time by me and my kids. For any kind of sim stuff it is honestly hard to go back.

The limiting factor is the resolution, and hardware to push those higher resolutions. With the screen so close to the eye, a 4K or higher resolution per eye is needed. PSVR2 and Quest 3 is still a blurry mess in comparison to a non VR output.

Romulus

The limiting factor is the resolution, and hardware to push those higher resolutions. With the screen so close to the eye, a 4K or higher resolution per eye is needed. PSVR2 and Quest 3 is still a blurry mess in comparison to a non VR output.

Not even close to a blurry mess.

Maybe psvr1/rift generation but quest 3 and above legitimately look incredible now with pancake lenses.

The guy doesn't focus the camera correctly until near the end but this is what I see.

Last edited:

Three

With eye tracking and foveated rendering I think hardware to push higher res has become less important. We are getting pretty crisp images right now.

//DEVIL//

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jumped on the PSVR bandwagon (original for PS4 as I don’t have a ps5 yet) and holy shit visual blur aside the immersion is great!

Drive club vr
Ace combat
Astro bot
Thumper
Pinball fx

And err dead or alive fortune (for research purposes only obviously)!

Going to try resident evil soon.

Need to get a bigger hard drive for my PS4 now so I can get everything installed. Can’t wait to scare my gf shitless with resi evil!

Just giving Sony a shoutout, this along with remote play with my vita is giving me some of the best experiences ever.

I haven’t felt this way about a jump on gaming since playing Mario 64 came out!

Defiantly going to look into getting a VR headset for my pc!

What other games would you guys recommend that don’t require move controllers as I don’t have those?
Wait until you get to PSVR2

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sadly, for some people the novelty of VR wears off fast. For me it took around 2 weeks and I was never back since.

Last edited:
Astrobot and Wipeout VR are incredible. It's criminal we don't have PSVR2 ports to these games.

DOA Venus vacation is awesome, I agree 😅

Last edited:
It’s criminal that PSVR2 is not backwards compatible.
True but seeing how PSVR games require a different kind of tracking and even control system to work, I can kinda understand why it isn't backwards compatible. It sucks but it's the ancient PSVR hardware preventing this from happening with the PSVR2.

This is how everyone feels when they try vr.....tell me how much you have played after a year lol
I own a PSVR2, Meta Quest 2 hooked up to a high-end PC with a 4090, and an original PSVR1 and I play VR games daily and can't get enough of them.

I've been an avid VR gamer since 2016 and it's extremely difficulty or next to impossible to go back to certain genres of games that don't have VR (driving or flying games).

I love VR and maybe some people get tired of VR but myself and most of my friends are just as excited or even more excited for VR games than we are for regular pancake games.

Last edited:
Man, i want to play FlightSimulator on an Xbox VR system.

So sad that Ms does nothing for Xbox in that way.

One point why I eventually switch to PS5😩

LimanimaPT

Try Skyrim, it is really great. Some (a lot actually) locations are jaw dropping.
It puzzles me why companies don't invest more in VR. When the investmen is made and VR is done right, VR games surpass non VR games by a mile.
I don't get how come there isn't a Dead Space VR game by now. An aliens game would be great too.
What a waste...

Last edited:

Romulus

Sadly, for some people the novelty of VR wears off fast. For me it took around 2 weeks and I was never back since.

I feel like non VR is a novelty now. Feels like I'm playing retro technology by comparison. You're only gaining with VR if its the same game. Depth perception and real life scale are game changers. I can't even imagine playing a racing/flying/shooter games without it. Massive downgrade.

Last edited:

sendit

With eye tracking and foveated rendering I think hardware to push higher res has become less important. We are getting pretty crisp images right now.
I disagree. Even with foverated rendering, the image quality is not crisp at all. It's definitely a few steps above better than PSVR1. The last VR game I played was GT7, and there is a clear degrade in sharpness to the point where gauges are hard to read.
Not even close to a blurry mess.

Maybe psvr1/rift generation but quest 3 and above legitimately look incredible now with pancake lenses.

The guy doesn't focus the camera correctly until near the end but this is what I see.

meh. I have both the PSVR2 and Quest 3. You know damn well that a small video isn’t the same as being in VR.

StueyDuck

I find OG PSVR is actually a great place to get your VR legs.

Because of camera tracking, most games makes you face forward and some are seated experiences too.

Thus teaches you not to try and walk about everywhere which I think helps combat sickness and just understanding VR in general.

Whenever I put someone fresh into my Rift S they either end up falling over or they end up twisted and confused. Even though you have full 360 movement it's still best to face one direction and use your controllers to move much like you would a regular game or a PSVR game.

OP you are in for a treat when you upgrade. It only gets better

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I feel like non VR is a novelty now. Feels like I'm playing retro technology by comparison. You're only gaining with VR if its the same game. Depth perception and real life scale are game changers. I can't even imagine playing a racing/flying/shooter games without it. Massive downgrade.
The biggest thing that (good) vr games do that make me bored of regular gaming is just the general interactivity. These games and their worlds truly feel like I can actually interact with them

There's something about being able to pick up things and throw them or just put them down and interact with them. If you playing something really interactive like Alyx or bonelabs/works then you can do things in vr that just aren't possible in pancake screen , grabbing the robo head crabs and physically headbutting it or batting off and object flying at your face, physically climbing and not just holding a button and pushing forward, it's things like that changing gaming for me, not 1000 copy/paste planets or gluing trees together or getting told off by Mary Jane because I'm playing the main character of the game

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nice, I remember that feeling.. Enjoy it while it lasts.

VR is technically better these days but my best time with VR was during the Oculus days of discovery (big VR enthusiast, been buying every gen VR headset since the DK1). The buzz from anticipating an amazing future was great.

But once you realize the tech is still a few years early the feeling will fade a bit. Form factor even to this day sucks big time, but there are already pancake lens headsets on the market showing promise in that department.

My favorite VR experience is still to this day Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, even beating Alyx, there's nothing else like it (to me) except perhaps DCS (carrier ops in an F-18 is unreal).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Try Skyrim, it is really great. Some (a lot actually) locations are jaw dropping.
It puzzles me why companies don't invest more in VR. When the investmen is made and VR is done right, VR games surpass non VR games by a mile.
I don't get how come there isn't a Dead Space VR game by now. An aliens game would be great too.
What a waste...
It would be nice to have a PSVR2 port of it, but due to the acquisition it seems preferable not to have it anywhere on consoles than giving PSVR2 a shot at showing how eye tracked foveated rendering based Skyrim would look like :/…

Hudo

I bought a (fucking) Oculus Quest for Half-Life Alyx. The game is really, really good. But holy shit, Facebook/Meta can fuck off with their account shit. Makes the device really unpleasant to use from a software point of view.

Three

I bought a (fucking) Oculus Quest for Half-Life Alyx. The game is really, really good. But holy shit, Facebook/Meta can fuck off with their account shit. Makes the device really unpleasant to use from a software point of view.
It's a good thing I own several VR headsets because Metas account shit literally made one of them a brick. Gear VR no longer works because they added an account signup that broke legacy devices.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
True but seeing how PSVR games require a different kind of tracking and even control system to work, I can kinda understand why it isn't backwards compatible. It sucks but it's the ancient PSVR hardware preventing this from happening with the PSVR2.

Where there's a will, there's a way. We're talking about the same company that shove entire PS2 into PS3 to insure backwards compatibility. Well, maybe not the same company, old Sony is nothing like the new Sony.

2 weeks is insane. No way I believe that.

No joke. When I got my Oculus and put it on the first time my mind was blown. But after a couple of weeks I couldn't be even asked to get it out of the little box and onto my head. I guess it's just not for me.

Assetto Corsa in VR was cool!

Hudo

It's a good thing I own several VR headsets because Metas account shit literally made one of them a brick. Gear VR no longer works because they added an account signup that broke legacy devices.
I still hope that Sony might open PSVR2 up for PC usage as well. It's a really solidly made HMD. I don't think everyone trying to build their own walled garden (Sony, Meta) is helping VR as a whole right now. It's too fucking niche for that. But I know that's an unpopular opinion around these parts.

buenoblue

I own a PSVR2, Meta Quest 2 hooked up to a high-end PC with a 4090, and an original PSVR1 and I play VR games daily and can't get enough of them.

I've been an avid VR gamer since 2016 and it's extremely difficulty or next to impossible to go back to certain genres of games that don't have VR (driving or flying games).

I love VR and maybe some people get tired of VR but myself and most of my friends are just as excited or even more excited for VR games than we are for regular pancake games.
I've had VR for a decade now going right back to the Kickstarter dev kit. I'm on like my 5th or 6th headset. But we all know most people just play it for a bit then it sits there 🤷‍♂️

Three

What a waste...
Money trumps technological marvel. VR games definitely surpass non-vr games but unfortunately the install base isn't large enough for people to shift development to it. Same reason they keep trying to chase mobile games instead. The more people who get into VR the more investment there will be.

Romulus

meh. I have both the PSVR2 and Quest 3. You know damn well that a small video isn’t the same as being in VR.

I don't know what you're saying. The video is cgi?

Go to your oculus graphics setting and crank the resolution to max. Anyone who says it's a blurry mess on a good rig is completely full of shit. Not even remotely close.

Romulus

That's not even a thing anymore.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I only got my PSVR in 2020, but had a lot of great times with it. Got the Aim controller too.

PSVR2 has also been amazing, with a selection of great titles. Recently set up my racing wheel for more GT7. Can't go back to playing it flat.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

I still hope that Sony might open PSVR2 up for PC usage as well. It's a really solidly made HMD. I don't think everyone trying to build their own walled garden (Sony, Meta) is helping VR as a whole right now. It's too fucking niche for that. But I know that's an unpopular opinion around these parts.

Meta isn't a walled garden (anymore?). You can use a Quest as a regular PCVR Headset without any modding. That's what sold me on the Quest 3.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Go to your oculus graphics setting and crank the resolution to max. Anyone who says it's a blurry mess on a good rig is completely full of shit. Not even remotely close.
It's kinda both. It's not really any more blurry than a regular 4k game if you stood close enough to your TV that it was your entire view, but then 4k also looks blurry if you are that close. So there is the same amount of detail but it doesn't have that pin sharp look that it does on a TV.

Romulus

It's kinda both. It's not really any more blurry than a regular 4k game if you stood close enough to your TV that it was your entire view, but then 4k also looks blurry if you are that close. So there is the same amount of detail but it doesn't have that pin sharp look that it does on a TV.

I just stood at point blank at my 4k monitor, that looks noticeably worse than Quest 3 with maxed out resolution and supersampling. I would argue the pancake lenses are suited more for clarity at close range. Something is, because that comparison is not even remotely close in terms of clarity.

This is what I'm seeing. It's not a 4k monitor at nose touching distance or even remotely close to blurry. I'm wondering how many people have actually used a good rig with a good VR headset now.

We are at a different point than we were even 2 years ago with PCVR. We can really crank the settings and supersampling.

Last edited:

sendit

Blurry mess maybe an exaggeration. I have a 4090 btw. But it isn't clear as 2D output. Not even close.

Last edited:

Romulus

Blurry mess maybe an exaggeration. I have a 4090 btw. But it isn't clear as 2D output. Not even close.

I just don't believe anyone with a 4090 and a Quest 3 would make that assertion and say "maybe" its an exaggeration. It's a colossal exaggeration. That or you've somehow botched your settings to where you're getting Rift S clarity.

No one is arguing that VR resolution is better at 4k 2d either. But that resolution gain is absolute shit by comparison to what you gain in VR. We're far beyond the point where VR resolution is a distraction. The advantages are now front and center.

Last edited:

sendit

I just don't believe anyone with a 4090 and a Quest 3 would make that assertion and say "maybe" its an exaggeration. It's a colossal exaggeration. That or you've somehow botched your settings to where you're getting Rift S clarity.

No one is arguing that VR resolution is better at 4k 2d either. But that resolution gain is absolute shit by comparison to what you gain in VR.
I'm not arguing against the experience it delivers. Holy crap....I'll stand by this, the resolution just isn't there. Yet.

Romulus

I'm not arguing against the experience it delivers. Holy crap....I'll stand by this, the resolution just isn't there. Yet.

Stupid question, but what are you using to connect to your PC? What resolution settings to get the most of your 4090? The reason I ask is a coworker was saying his resolution wasn't great but he wasn't even using his 3090 correctly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Where there's a will, there's a way. We're talking about the same company that shove entire PS2 into PS3 to insure backwards compatibility. Well, maybe not the same company, old Sony is nothing like the new Sony.

No joke. When I got my Oculus and put it on the first time my mind was blown. But after a couple of weeks I couldn't be even asked to get it out of the little box and onto my head. I guess it's just not for me.

Assetto Corsa in VR was cool!

VR must not be for you then.

I bought a VR2 last week and I also think it is amazing, thumper and GT7 are the highlights for it. Horizon is good also but I have to get used to it because it still gives me náusea, same as TWD Saints and sinners. Moss 1 is also great. Also, give it a try to Humanity which was on PS plus essential.
Wish I had the PS VR1 but now it is very expensive in My country.

Last edited:
Top Bottom