• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Halo 5: Guardians rated T?

Fracas

#fuckonami
From the Gamescom MP trailer

Ay5VwY3.png

Did a quick check of the ESRB site but couldn't find anything. This would be the first mainline Halo game to receive a T rating.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The series has been a pretty light M, so I imagine it wasn't very hard to modify it to actually hit the rating.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The series has been a pretty light M, so I imagine it wasn't very hard to modify it to actually hit the rating.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Always was surprised to see them get M ratings whereas stuff like Uncharted came through with a T.

It would widen the audience a bit if true. Halo has to be the tamest M rated game I've ever played.

Only a tiny bit, though. Tons of kids already played the franchise. Many parents just don't care what their kids play, and the ones that did pay attention probably realized that Halo wasn't really deserving of the M rating.

The only time it ever felt like an M game was during the flood cutscenes and levels. It gets a little violent and fresh in later games, but nowhere near other M games.

Unless naked blue chick counts.

End of an era though.

They all should have been rated that.

Never understood how Destiny passed with T and Halo is M - must have been cussing in the SP?

CE: Cursing, flood gore
Halo 2: Cursing, flood gore
Halo 3: Cursing (mild), flood gore
ODST: Cursing
Reach: Violence
Halo 4: Cursing and Violence

IMO Halo 4 earns its M rating more than the other games. Some of those cutscenes were brutal.

Welfare

Gotta go after that Destiny money amirite

Halo has never really been a M rated game in the fact that there's nothing there that would keep it at that rating if standards changed. T is pretty easy to get with Halo, and some copies of Combat Evolved even had a T rating.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

We didn't really change anything. In fact, fidelity and "body counts" have gone up. I guess context and standards have simply shifted.

Like you said, we've always been a "soft" M. Halo Wars featured the exact same content from a different camera perspective and got a T (same with Spartan Assault etc)

Gotta go after that Destiny money amirite

Or it could be a grand conspiracy!

Trey

Never understood why it was rated M to begin with.

Blood, gore, violence, guns, dismemberment. Nothing crazy but I can see first trilogy swinging a Mature rating.

Halo definitely has grown softer over the years though.

Ridley327

We didn't really change anything. In fact, fidelity and "body counts" have gone up. I guess context and standards have simply shifted.

Like you said, we've always been a "soft" M. Halo Wars featured the exact same content from a different camera perspective and got a T (same with Spartan Assault etc)
Wasn't the big reason for CE getting an M almost entirely due to Keyes' death scene? I thought I had read about that being the case back when EGM was in its prime.

SerTapTap

Pretty sure the Flood were the only reason it was ever M. ESRB might have lightened up a bit too.

"mild language" though, wasn't there more than mild swearing before? But "shit" can still be in Teen, just not fuck I think

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wasn't the big reason for CE getting an M almost entirely due to Keyes' death scene? I thought I had read about that being the case back when EGM was in its prime.

I don't think we've ever had a "single" factor - but the ESRB has always been pretty open about us being on the line. USK and PEGI have different criteria tho, so we'll see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Or it could be a grand conspiracy!

Right, it's pretty hard to look at Tomb Raider 2013 and Halo 5 and go "These should have the same rating."

Akai__

I don't think we've ever had a "single" factor - but the ESRB has always been pretty open about us being on the line. USK and PEGI have different criteria tho, so we'll see.

Halo 4 and Halo MCC had a USK 16 rating despite Halo 3 having a USK 18 rating on the Xbox 360. I think they have become softer aswell.

There is a pretty good article on Kotaku from a couple years back talking about ratings when Halo Anniversary got an M but Arkham City was T.

http://kotaku.com/5901423/two-video-games-two-age-ratings-whats-the-bloody-difference

4) Does the ESRB believe that the standards for what is or isn't an M-rated game can shift over the course of, say a decade? If so, how is the ESRB addressing that?

Mizrachi: "This is a tricky question. On the one hand, as a rating system, it's important for our ratings to be reflective of cultural norms and of consumers' expectations about the age-appropriateness of content, and these can and do change over time. On the other hand, there's value in maintaining some degree of consistency, which allows consumers to develop an understanding of the type of content that is associated with each rating category. The challenge is to strike some balance between these two seemingly opposed interests, to make sure our ratings remain consistent, relevant and reliable without being so rigid as to not be able to adjust when called for.

"We regularly do consumer research that measures, among other things, the degree to which consumers find our ratings helpful and their confidence that our rating will be accurate and consistent with their feelings about the age-appropriateness of content. Ultimately our goal is to make sure that our ratings remain a trustworthy resource for parents, and according to the research we've done, and that done by the FTC, our ratings continue to be regarded by them as a very reliable source of guidance."

Jawmuncher

Not even a surprise like most said, Halo has always been a very light M rating. Unless you just sat in a corridor for the blood shooting at dead bodies.

HTupolev

Never understood why it was rated M to begin with.
Makes some sense to me for the first game at least. You can literally paint the walls in blood, there's nasty zombies and dismemberment, there's a cutscene where the player character shoves his fist through a guy's face to retrieve a key item... and of course plenty of violence and some swearing here and there. If it looked a bit less cartoony I think people would be a lot less surprised by it.

The other games seem more borderline for the most part.

Top Bottom