• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: Humanity Has Declined (8/4-8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together the community (even "casuals") to watch a lesser known anime series together and through discussion share our reactions towards it. We will have a new show selected to watch every two weeks and the genre will very greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Not SAO, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Under 14 episodes total
- Not already aired on Toonami
- The shows try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows can be underrated and good, or could be trash; let's find out together
- Let's have FUN with this!

First up:

Humanity has Declined: (jinrui wa suitai shimashita) (8/4-8/18)

Genres: Fantasy

Synopsis:
For years, declining birth rates have forced what's left of the human race to cede more and more territory to other beings who have appeared to take advantage of the emptying ecological niche. Now, only a handful of humans remain among the remnants of civilization and Earth is dominated by faeries —tiny, ten-inch tall creatures of surprising intelligence. But humanity's importance isn't over quite yet, as young Watashi learns as she makes the decision to return to her hometown and assume her grandfather's position as an arbitrator between the races.

Available on Crunchyroll:

Humanity Has Declined on Hulu!
http://hulu.com/s/art
Crunchyroll link:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/humanity-has-declined

tumblr_ndoi1lJXOK1r2pvg2o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_ndogfnZIuw1r2pvg2o1_r3_500.gif

Time to watch and lets see what this one is all about! Enjoy!

Operation request:
In order to not jump ahead, plan on discussing 1 episode a day (based on PST <GMT -7>) episode 1 is open immediately, episide 2 opens for discussion 12 am PST 8/5, etc.

OPEN: ep. 1-11

Next
(#11):
t1439539200z4.png

(#12):
t1439625600z4.png

Next Thread will go up Mon morning (8/17)

EDIT:
Please see the warning on page 1 of the Anime OT, that still applies here. Don't talk about it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073417

This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.
Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies here to anime as well

JulianImp

I've already reached the point where I'm watching random anime series on a whim, so actually watching new stuff while discussing it with GAF is right up my alley. Subscribed, and will probably be watching EP1 later tonight.

cajunator

Banned
Piracy has actually killed some great anime companies. Watch anime legally goddammit.

anyway, this is one of the most unique series youll ever watch.

Ascheroth

This show has been on my backlog since who knows when, maybe I'll actually watch it this time.
Subscribed, let's see how it turns out.

JulianImp

Oh, how are we going to deal with spoilers?

14 days for less than 14 episodes means an episode a day, so maybe we could keep spoiler tags for the episode of the day at the very least. For example talking about spoilery things from EP1 today would warrant spoiler tags, but tomorrow we could freely speak about it while spoiler tagging EP2 stuff, and so on.

14 days for less than 14 episodes means an episode a day, so maybe we could keep spoiler tags for the episode of the day at the very least. For example talking about spoilery things from EP1 today would warrant spoiler tags, but tomorrow we could freely speak about it while spoiler tagging EP2 stuff, and so on.

Seems to be for the best, which time-zone are we going to use though?

12 episodes? I might watch it, but I need to finish Gintama and beat 5 Metal Gear Solid games before the 1st so I dunno. Two weeks is reasonable.

JulianImp

Seems to be for the best, which time-zone are we going to use though?

Touché. That's going to be a pain for some of us, since keeping track of timezones isn't fun at all.

Maybe we could use the US west coast timezone (GMT -7, right?) to make sure nobody gets spoiled ahead of time?

Line_HTX

Cornbread, can you expand the criteria to Under 26 episodes total? I can't think one off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of 20-something episode series that are also lesser-known and underrated.

Cornbread78

I'm against the 14 episodes limit because Planetes.

Cornbread, can you expand the criteria to Under 26 episodes total? I can't think one off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of 20-something episode series that are also lesser-known and underrated.

It's something we can look at later. The intent is to keep it at an average of 1 episode a day for two weeks. If we expand the number of episodes, we'll just have to extend the weeks of viewing.

Touché. That's going to be a pain for some of us, since keeping track of timezones isn't fun at all.

Maybe we could use the US west coast timezone (GMT -7, right?) to make sure nobody gets spoiled ahead of time?

As long as we keep it consistent it's going to be fine, maybe a countdown or something can be added to the OP which indicates when we're "allowed" to talk about the next episode.

Cornbread78

As long as we keep it consistent it's going to be fine, maybe a countdown or something can be added to the OP which indicates when we're "allowed" to talk about the next episode.

I'm good with PST.

I just started ep.1 and I already heard Mitsuki VA from Full Moon and is the OP artist the same one from Honey and Clover? Sounds so familiar..

Also, I updated to OP:

Operation request:
In order to not jump ahead, plan on discussing 1 episode a day (based on PST <GMT -7>) episode 1 is open immediately, episide 2 opens for discussion 12 am PST 8/5, etc.

That should help out. Watch 1 episode a day and each day opens discussion for the next episode. This also allows people to "marathon" a group of episodes if they want to wait and should avoid costly spoilers.

Mitch

Banned
Humanity has Declined - Ep 1

Mediator-san! Please help! Definitely different than what I had originally expected. I've seen the scene with the piece of bread so many times over the past several years. Now I know where it comes from.

Line_HTX

It's something we can look at later. The intent is to keep it at an average of 1 episode a day for two weeks. If we expand the number of episodes, we'll just have to extend the weeks of viewing.

Okay, I understand. I was actually thinking that 2 episodes per day would be the max, since I'm pretty sure everyone is busy with whatever they got. 26 ep series would actually leave you one day to spare for either discussing further or decide on the next show.

Edit: Oh I see, that's 2 AM for me. That works just fine.

Cornbread78

Humanity has Declined - Ep 1
Holy crap. Seriously, if was into recreational drugs like pot, this show would be perfect; so colorful, lol. That bread scene was great. With all the variable stuff going on this will definately be interesting for sure.

JulianImp

EP1
Alright, so we're in some kind of post-apocaliptic world where food is ridiculously scarce. Then, there are cute fairies

... er, scratch that. There are fairies.

Looks like this show fits the 'What do you mean it wasn't made on drugs?' trope to a T, so I'm looking forward to more crazy cutesy madness in later episodes.

I also approve of Joseph Joestar's VA being in the show, even if it looks like he'll be a secondary character.

Ascheroth

Humanity has declined - 01

That was ...weird? In a good way.
Headless skinned chicken running around, creepy cute fairies, sentient bread with suicidal tendencies and more. This show has it all. I'm curoius what else is going to happen during this ride. And I hope there's more stuff as hilariously random as the bread scene. Seriously, that was gold.

I like this idea. I was originally thinking the 14 episode limit was too small but then wasn't sure if I'd be able to participate if it was much longer. Eh, we'll see. I like this length for whim watching.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - 01

Big fan of the painterly artstyle. Everything pops. Soundtrack is pretty good, loving that ending track. Plot feels fairly scatterbrained but I'm always up for unraveling a mystery. Was laughing pretty hard at the cackling old women heckling the MC. I can relate.

I like to do Hail Mary guesses early on but I have nothing to go off of yet. Maybe next episode.

Mesoian

So...just finished the first episode.

This is totally an allegory for the shit of Japanese culture moving from a physical age to a digital one, isn't it?

Also YAY APPLES+ORANGES doing the ED! I haven't heard a song of theirs since Azumanga!

John Blade

Might postponed Wolf Rain and watch this right now. Heard about it a bit and almost bite it but I guess I will try to watch it right now with you guys here.

Mesoian

OOOOOOOOOOOOH

I'm watching episode 2.

This is an allegory for the Japanese workplace.

Some of this stuff is CUTTING.

Humanity has Declined 01

I really like the OP. The ED is pretty good too.

Interesting first episode, the way of playing completely straight the sinister stuff is done well, I'd imagine the show was meant to look deceptively soft. I like the way it looks a lot -

Just going to assume the show is not about the mystery of what happened because I didn't get that vibe from the first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom