• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: Humanity Has Declined (8/4-8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Are you that TUSR from DOTA2?

I saw that picture of the in-game chat on NFL-GAF and I was like...

image.php
You whut?

Fishious

Pretty neat idea for a thread. I've already seen Humanity Has Declined and it's among my favorites, but I can't pass up an opportunity for a rewatch.

Humanity Has Declined - EP 1

The relatively low-key first half always gets me. It's pretty normal and could easily lead people to think Watashi is pretty unremarkable. Of course neither of those are the case as the second half shows. It's kind of fun reading everyone's impressions and thinking, "Wait, you thought that was weird? That's nothing!"

On the whole I'm not a huge fan of the first episode, but it sets up the world, the characters, and all those other necessary elements before we get into the meat (or bread filling?) of the series. Of course we did get Watashi's attempt at information control, musings on death by starvation, skinless chickens, and of course the bread. If anything in the first episode piqued your interest then rejoice! There's a lot to look forward to!

dluu13

WELLLLLL I have not heard of this. I will join too and see if I can contribute in the discussion. I tend to rush through my animes and I end up forgetting stuff. Hopefully this one episode a day thing will help me retain some stuff.

Also, I second Planetes (but 14 episode limit lol). That show was great.
For ones under 14 episodes, we could have Kamichu or Haibane Renmei

Fireblend

Banned
Watched the first episode. Really curious about what direction it's going to take; I really like the humor and the general silly with dark undertones direction.

cajunator

Banned
Watched the first episode. Really curious about what direction it's going to take; I really like the humor and the general silly with dark undertones direction.

The show utilizes a lot of dark humor. Not super serious, but certainly on the twisted side.

Humanity has Declined - Ep 1

lol that was weird as hell, have no idea what is going on. Love how colorful everything is.

Creepy fairies, live skinned chickens and bleeding bread. All mixed with some dark implications in the background.

dluu13

Humanity has Declined - Ep. 1

I think I liked this. I laughed a few times. I finally know what the bread scene is from.

This series has been in my backlog for a while, though admittedly a big reason is because I like the main character's design (long pink hair). It was unexpected how the series starts off with no introduction to the world, and even starts off the MC with short hair; I wondered if Crunchyroll was streaming the wrong episode at first. Thankfully the episode title screen displays episode number.

One wonders what the point of confirming if FairyCo has fairies is; surely the obviously magical skinned chicken would have been proof enough. Though maybe their scientific knowledge has diminished just that much. I guess it will take a couple of episodes to get a good grasp on exactly what level humanity is at now.

I thought the episode was OK. The art is nice, and of course dat suicidal bread, but without the fact that the series is held in high regard, I probably would have considered dropping it at this point.

Episode 1

Enjoyed it a lot. The artwork and the colors are very pleasing to look at. Probably the prettiest post apocalyptic world I've seen so far. The MC also seems fun, especially with her deadpan remarks.

Difficult to say where all of this is heading bit I'm looking forward to the ride. And don't tell they are processing fairies into synthetic food. Those bastards!

Episode 1

StM2Inwh.jpg

I love this bread

I'm really digging the artstyle of this show, it's super fun to look at. For the rest this was just your standard first episode, I especially liked the part where she was influencing the other girls.

There is a lot of creativity in this show, I hope that this keeps up and that we're going to see a lot of interesting encounters.

Oh, the singer of the OP is the same as the one of Non Non Biyori right?

redlemon

Loved this show. It's always great where end of humanity situations are in a still lush world. It's completely different to it but the setting always reminds me of Yokohama Shopping Log.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

tumblr_my8cpnKBnj1swjp5ho1_500.gif

If there's ever a vote for the next show to watch, given the 13 ep limit and never being aired on Toonami, I toss in for:

Eden of the East
Kids on the Slope
Terror in Resonance
P̶a̶r̶a̶n̶o̶i̶a̶ ̶A̶g̶e̶n̶t̶

PA was on AS, which is basically the same as toonami.

nofunx.jpg

Cornbread78

I added a countdown clock to the OP per request. I'll try to update it every day, but no promises, lol.

BTW, EP. 2 is open.

Mitch

Banned
I'll watch episode 2 on my lunch break today. About an hour and a half from now. Ready for more bizarre nonsense.

JulianImp

EP 02
This episode opens with a flashback to the suicide bread, and manages to make things even weirder!

The main character perfectly encompasses the strong contrast the show has with its cutesy outside appearance that hides some pretty harsh things underneath.

So, who was running that huge factory behind the scenes? Why, it was none other than (episode spoilers)... http://imgur.com/UosVJao

The scriptwriters apparently weren't happy enough with how weird all this was, so we also got a slow-motion "shootout" as Ave Maria played, the
chickens
doing crazy stuff, and even a post-credits brick joke.

I want in on whatever the production staff was having when they made this.

Edit: Linked the spoiler image instead so that people browsing mobile GAF aren't forced to see it by mistake.

episode 1

kind of interesting episode with a weird sense of humour, nothing that i personally laughed about but the "chicken > ??? > meat" joke and the bread suicide were pretty good. i will watch the next episode when i can but i don't know if a will finish this. but that is just personal taste.

Humanity Has Declined 1

saRRLkO.jpg

Poor bread all he wanted is someone to eat him.

It was a fairly interesting episode, I enjoyed it. Seeing fairies, a skinned chicken running around, and a bread commit suicide was pretty weird. I really love how vibrant and colorful the setting is.

The Opening is really great.

The first episode was pretty good at hooking me. I want to know what the deal is with the state of mankind and what the elves are all about.

I hope it continues to tread the line between whimsical and dark.

Koppai

I love this idea, thanks for doing this! Have been meaning to get back into anime for a while as I always get out of touch with the long shonen series.

Will definitely give this a watch as I have a HULU subscription :)

Cornbread78

HhD EP. 2
Holy $hit this show is weird and amazing at the same time. That picture book the assistant made had me in stitches, lol. The the
Headless Chickens jumping to their death
The translations going on.. wow

Also, Ave Maria playing in the background with assistant's "gunfire" holy crap that was amazing....

Ascheroth

Humanity Has Declined - 02

That was even weirder then episode 1. It's great.
The way this show mixes a cute artstyle with dark humor, general weirdness and creepiness
(the skinned chickens... *shudder*)
is really entertaining.

I have not the slightest idea what's going to happen next, but I'm genuinely curious how their world works.
On to the next episode! Tomorrow.

Humanity Has Declined Episode 1

I love the background art and use of vibrant colors in this series. It's just a joy to look at. I also like how we are dropped into this world without any explanation for how the world became this way. The little bits of info in the first episode alone are enough to get your mind racing and trying to put the pieces together. Definitely looking forward to more of these breadcrumbs as the series progresses.

The world is endearing in its weirdness and while the comedy is dark at times, the deadpan delivery of the jokes worked wonders on me. The main character and supporting cast seem great so far as well. I can't wait to dig deeper into this series.

Luigi87

Finally something to put my Crunchyroll account to use, aside from me watching literally one episode of one show a week <_<

Gonna check out episode one now.

dluu13

Episode 2

lol what am I watching.

No idea what's happening but I don't care. When the manager
falls down the pit
LOL

Humanity Has Declined Episode 2

This show is batshit insane and I love everything about it.
The manager randomly falling down the hole, Ave Maria (I couldn't help laughing all three times it was played), glasses with subtitles, talking hair, chicken revolution, "Shall we dive?" "I cannot fly.", etc.

I have no idea where this show is going, but I know I'm going to enjoy the hilarious and bizarre ride there.

Mesoian

Episode 3: Well that was an interesting little glimpse into Fujoshi culture. Gave me moments of "I remember that feel" from doing the cosplay/anime circuit for a number of years. And yes, there's very little actual parody in this episode, it's really like that, save for the backbiting and pure animosity that wasn't shown.

LuffyZoro

Episode 3:
Well that was an interesting little glimpse into Fujoshi culture. Gave me moments of "I remember that feel" from doing the cosplay/anime circuit for a number of years. And yes, there's very little actual parody in this episode, it's really like that, save for the backbiting and pure animosity that wasn't shown.

We're not on episode 3 yet.

JulianImp

We're not on episode 3 yet.

I agree that we should keep discussions on the episode of the day since it makes it less likely for us to spoil each other by merely checking up on this thread. The user did speak about EP2 yesterday as well, but I'm kind of okay with that since it doesn't look like there were any crazy plot twists so far, and the earlier post was just "so this episode is like an allegory for corporate culture, huh".

I'd rather not see posts in advance, but spoiler tagging them would definitely be appreciated at the very least.

Fishious

Humanity Has Declined Ep 2

hhd2nhbbx.png

A tale in which Assistant teaches us about fun.

Whoever decided a headless skinned chicken should make kazoo noises deserves a medal. As others have said Ave Maria was used wonderfully all three times this episode. The thing that stood out most to me on this rewatch were the couple of lines at the end about how the jams and other food items might have been sentient, but lacked the ability to convey it. Rather horrifying to think about, but that's pretty much par for the course in Humanity Has Declined.

Edit:

Re: Spoilers
I agree it would probably be best to keep discussion to the current day's episode or tag them if you want to post ahead. That being said, there's not much to spoil in the series. There is no overarching plot running across all the episodes. It's just a series of arcs (usually 2 episodes) that are all pretty self contained, though there is some continuity between arcs.

LuffyZoro

I agree that we should keep discussions on the episode of the day since it makes it less likely for us to spoil each other by merely checking up on this thread. The user did speak about EP2 yesterday as well, but I'm kind of okay with that since it doesn't look like there were any crazy plot twists so far, and the earlier post was just "so this episode is like an allegory for corporate culture, huh".

I'd rather not see posts in advance, but spoiler tagging them would definitely be appreciated at the very least.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal as long as it's general, but spoiler tags would be nice. If I'm going to stop myself from binging like I usually would I don't want to see stuff in advance.

Whoever decided a headless skinned chicken should make kazoo noises deserves a medal.

Yup, kazoo sounds were my favorite part. The bit with the literal translations was pretty funny too.

Still have no idea where this show is heading but I'm going along with it. Seems like it's a show where trying to find the larger point is largely pointless.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finished first two episodes today, this show is confusing. Am I missing some hidden message?

Fishious

I just finished first two episodes today, this show is confusing. Am I missing some hidden message?

It's possible to read the series as an absurd critique of modern civilization, consumer culture, and technological advancement through the lens of innocents who parrot humanities flaws and vices without understanding their significance. But mostly it's just really weird.

Humanity has Declined 1

Well now I know where the bleeding bread gif comes from so that's something.

Other then that it's a decent start to the series. Sets up the world, characters, and the fact that this show is going to be outlandish, especially with regards to the fairies.

Humanity has Declined - Ep 2

The whole skinned chicken evil plot was hilarious. I loved how absurd it was.

The creator of this anime is crazy.

Cornbread78

Yeah, it's not that big a deal as long as it's general, but spoiler tags would be nice. If I'm going to stop myself from binging like I usually would I don't want to see stuff in advance.

Lol, that is my problem as well. I tend to watch check 3-6 episodes of older shows in a sitting, so holding myself back to 1 a day is something new and interesting for sure.

I added the clock to the OP to help everyone our a little, and I'll put it up for the days over the weekend as well. Ep.3 opens up in just over 2 hours now.

The whole skinned chicken evil plot was hilarious. I loved how absurd it was.

The creator of this anime is crazy.

He was high on something to come up with this craziness, lol.

Episode 2

This episode was more interesting than the first, with some good old eldritch architecture and a greater amount of weirdness. I liked the reveal of the skinned chickens, and the further reveal that every product being pushed out of the factory was alive, though we still don't have an explanation for why everything was alive. I wonder if the main character's hair coming to life will carry on or if it's just an ending gag. Also, someone should have warned me that she'd put on glasses.

Luigi87

The whole speech by the headless skinned chickens killed me. Made better that they were ignored the whole time, lol. Enjoyed this ep more than the first.

Episode 2

Didn't expect this to happen, I hope all of the small arcs in the show will have such a satisfying conclusion as this one.

I really liked the bit in the church after the credits, that the girl forgot about her tendency of looking for the bad things in life was just super sweet.

Seems like the "talking" hair is going to be a new "character", I'm excited to see how that's going to play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom