• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylake review thread

LordOfChaos

Didn't see this up yet after a search, but I feel like I'm wrong anyways, yada yada something if old

Ars-
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-reviewed/

Overall, despite not living up to lofty expectations, Skylake is an improvement over Haswell in every way. In some cases it’s only a small difference, in other cases it’s more noticeable.

There’s no doubt that in terms of single and multithreaded and performance, Intel’s Core i7-6700K is the best quad-core chip on the market. In a high-end consumer PC, particularly for gaming, there’s nothing better. If you’re shopping for a new desktop PC, get one with a Skylake chip.

Anandtech-
http://anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance. In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge. That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap.
01%20-%20Gains%20over%20Sandy.png

Tech report-
http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed

What should we make of these results? If you've been nursing along a system based on a Sandy Bridge processor like the Core i5-2500K or Core i7-2600K, then perhaps Skylake has enough to offer to prompt an upgrade. Cumulatively, Intel has made quite a bit of progress in the past several years—and the Skylake platform with the Z170 chipset is a considerable upgrade in terms of I/O bandwidth, too. Those motherboards bristle with storage options and high-speed USB ports and such. So there's that. What's jarring about our gaming results is that the Sandy Bridge-based 2600K remains a very competent processor for running the current PC games we tested. You'll probably want to avoid thinking about that fact when it comes time to pull out the credit card.

Gaming? Oh dear...From AT:
There’s no easy way to write this.

Discrete graphics card performance decreases on Skylake over Haswell.

This doesn’t particularly make much sense at first glance. Here we have a processor with a higher IPC than Haswell but it performs worse in both DDR3 and DDR4 modes. The amount by which it performs worse is actually relatively minor, usually -3% with the odd benchmark (GRID on R7 240) going as low as -5%. Why does this happen at all?

So we passed our results on to Intel, as well as a few respected colleagues in the industry, all of whom were quite surprised. During a benchmark, the CPU performs tasks and directs memory transfers through the PCIe bus and vice versa. Technically, the CPU tasks should complete quicker due to the IPC and the improved threading topology, so that only leaves the PCIe to DRAM via CPU transfers.

Our best guess, until we get to IDF to analyze what has been changed or a direct explanation from Intel, is that part of the FIFO buffer arrangement between the CPU and PCIe might have changed with a hint of additional latency. That being said, a minor increase in PCIe overhead (or a decrease in latency/bandwidth) should be masked by the workload, so there might be something more fundamental at play, such as bus requests being accidentally duplicated or resent due to signal breakdown. There might also be a tertiary answer of an internal bus not running at full speed. To be sure, we rested some benchmarks on a different i7-6700K and a different motherboard, but saw the same effect. We’ll see how this plays out on the full-speed tests.

So keep my 2600K at 4.6ghz. Okay Intel. Thank you!

Also, hopefully Zen will catch up to these numbers and be in the competition again!

EDIT: I think I will upgrade when I actually need the rendering power for work related stuff. But seriously, the 2600K has been a lot more future proof than I ever imagined for gaming. Good job past Fach, high five!

LordOfChaos

Also, hopefully Zen will catch up to these numbers and be in the competition again!

From the IPC numbers AMD is saying, it certainly seems like it would be close to Haswell IPC...Which in turn is pretty damn close to Skylake (let alone Broadwell) IPC. If AMD delivers more cores for the price (or just better price/performance in general), I think it could definitely be appealing.

8 core Haswell-like IPC processor with AMD pricing? Hubba hubba.

Tenebrous

That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap.

Not too exciting, to be honest. My 3770k shall soldier on.

prag16

Banned
Whelp, confirmed. No major reason to move on from my 2550k for quite some time. $180 CPU purchase 3.5 years ago that will still last me a while yet was a good value.

LordOfChaos

Four years for 25% improvement. I am very disappointed in the progress of desktop processors.

Yeah, most architectural investment has just enabled ultrabooks and their like, but of course the enthusiast in many of us wants to see a pure, no questions asked, high performance architecture.

Fractal

Banned
I don't know, I'm tempted to replace my old 2600K @ 4.4 Ghz (bad OC sample) mostly because I'm running it on a dated P67 chipset, but seems there's no worthwhile performance jump here, especially as far as gaming's concerned... and some new platform features like PCI-E 3.0 or whatever aren't a reason enough on its own to upgrade.

wildfire

Banned

EDIT: I think I will upgrade when I actually need the rendering power for work related stuff. But seriously, the 2600K has been a lot more future proof than I ever imagined for gaming. Good job past Fach, high five!

Zen physically can't. AMD promises 40% IPC improvement over Piledriver.

That still puts them behind Haswell by 15% at best. AMD have yet to deliver on their promises since the bulldozer disaster.

What AMD can offer with Zen is better price for performance and features. They can't come close to INtel's absolute performance in 2016/2017.

LordOfChaos

Lack of competition does that.

See, I really don't think it's that. Mobile has come a long way in the last few years, I think Intel is just focused there right now. It's not like they're not investing in architectures anymore because of no competition, they're just not investing where some of us would like them to.

LordOfChaos

Zen physically can't. AMD promises 40% IPC improvement over Piledriver.

That still puts them behind Haswell by 15% at best. AMD have yet to deliver on their promises since the bulldozer disaster.

No, 40% over Excavator, successor to Steamroller, the successor to Piledriver. All in all it comes pretty close to Haswell.

Zen-IPC-Gain.jpg

Combined with

slide-1.png

This is regardless of Excavator coming out, since it's just the promised IPC improvements.

LordAmused

Got a 4690k a new months ago along with a new motherboard and some RAM...Hopefully it performs great the next few years.

Well if nothing else, for gaming there's been little reason to upgrade since Sandy bridge so I guess thanks Intel for saving me money.

Steejee

At this point I'm just hoping AMD pulls a rabbit out of the hat and Zen ends up being a bigger leap than they've touted so far. Otherwise we might see this stagnation go on for a while longer until one or the other can figure out WTF they can do to start advancing speeds again.

That, and AMD could make a real dent in the market this time if they did pull out that rabbit since a lot of Intel's dirty business has been laid out and they're getting watched a little harder.

On the plus side, not much reason to upgrade yet.

Kinda bummed. Was hoping for something to upgrade to from my 3770k.

Is there even a point to upgrading to something like a 5930k?. Other than benchmarks, I'm not sure how much of an improvement there wold be. Probably the same in games?

BPoole

I was hoping the gains over Sandy Bridge would be more significant. I may not upgrade after all considering I'd have to not only buy the new CPU, but also a new motherboard, CPU cooler, and upgrade to DDR4 RAM.

Intel really fucked up by making Sandy Bridge so good

laxu

For gaming, at this pace my 3570K @ 4.5 GHz is going to last quite a while. The only thing that gets better is motherboards and even then most are awful.

Ogimachi

See, I really don't think it's that. Mobile has come a long way in the last few years, I think Intel is just focused there right now. It's not like they're not investing in architectures anymore because of no competition, they're just not investing where some of us would like them to.
Which is expected. They're focused on mobile because it can make them more money and it's where they actually have some competition, so it's necessary.
They do invest in archictectures and improve their tech all the time, but you get less and less bang for your buck with the "enthusiast chips".

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'll stick with my 3770k for now.

That said, really hoping Skylake makes it into the SP4.

Every little bit helps there.

Vuze

Yeah, that's not too hot. I thought about upgrading for quicker video rendering but nah... too pricey all things considered

Daffy Duck

I might just stick with buying an I5-4690k, 16GB RAM and a 970 all things considered, what with only having DDR4 memory available at the moment and the fact I'll have to buy a cooler the new I5 I don't really think I'll get the full benefit of this if I'm only going to game at 1080p and do web design.

Emarv

Gaming? Oh dear...From AT:

This doesn’t particularly make much sense at first glance. Here we have a processor with a higher IPC than Haswell but it performs worse in both DDR3 and DDR4 modes. The amount by which it performs worse is actually relatively minor, usually -3% with the odd benchmark (GRID on R7 240) going as low as -5%. Why does this happen at all?

So we passed our results on to Intel, as well as a few respected colleagues in the industry, all of whom were quite surprised. During a benchmark, the CPU performs tasks and directs memory transfers through the PCIe bus and vice versa. Technically, the CPU tasks should complete quicker due to the IPC and the improved threading topology, so that only leaves the PCIe to DRAM via CPU transfers.

Our best guess, until we get to IDF to analyze what has been changed or a direct explanation from Intel, is that part of the FIFO buffer arrangement between the CPU and PCIe might have changed with a hint of additional latency. That being said, a minor increase in PCIe overhead (or a decrease in latency/bandwidth) should be masked by the workload, so there might be something more fundamental at play, such as bus requests being accidentally duplicated or resent due to signal breakdown. There might also be a tertiary answer of an internal bus not running at full speed. To be sure, we rested some benchmarks on a different i7-6700K and a different motherboard, but saw the same effect. We’ll see how this plays out on the full-speed tests.

Wtf? Hope they have a good explanation for that soon.

Man my 2600k is gonna last for many years more. Only if one really needs the mobo features or if their current system dies dead would Skylake matter. If the most a PC does is gaming, GPU upgrading is all that matters. And to think DX12 will add more life to Sandy Bridge. I miss the wild days of huge ticks and tocks.

reKon

Banned
this going to be the thread: well I guess my ______ will last me _____ years

my 4690K should last me for the next 4-5 years right? I only plan on doing one big upgrade to the GPU and SSD upgrade when those prices go down

Servbot24

Banned
I was always under the impression Skylake was primarily meant to improve energy efficiency. These are basically the power boost results I thought were expected.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Kinda bummed. Was hoping for something to upgrade to from my 3770k.

Is there even a point to upgrading to something like a 5930k?. Other than benchmarks, I'm not sure how much of an improvement there wold be. Probably the same in games?
You'd see very little difference for gaming. Might as well save that money for a new GPU, SSD, or G-Sync/Freesync monitor instead. Those would all give you a much more dramatic improvement.

I still feel like there's more to it than percentage performance. I have to upgrade anyway.

There's no way for me to go and buy a sandy bridge mobo. I can't go back and justify buying something old that will probaby cost me a lot.

Pagusas

Elden Member
my 2600k@4.5 is proving to be the longest lasting, best CPU I've ever bought. Amazing. Looks like she'll last me one more gen of processors.

What Vcore is everyone running for their 2600ks?

So I won't see any performance increase in games over my i7 3970k 4, ghz? I don't understand.

Why would it go backwards? and why the GPU?

Sounds like lots of people have the upgrade itch in here. Instead of pouring $500 into a CPU/mobo combo just put that toward a GPU. The gains here are woefully low, but on the bright side we're all just saving money in the end. I might get one of these though, simply because I've been considering a switch to SFF PC.

Top Bottom