• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently someone scratched up a dudes car, left my number scratched on there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
So, pretty sure this isn't an issue, but I just got a call from someone that was very angry that their car got scratched up.

The conversation didn't last long. He kept accusing me of having scratched up his car when I didn't do anything of the sort. I asked him why I would leave a note with my number after I scratched up his car, he 'retorted' with "Why'd you leave a note then?". I tell him I didn't leave any note because I wasn't there. Given that it's from Chicago, I am assuming that it wasn't simply randomly put there, though I can't imagine many people who would do that.

So. That's no fun. But do I have anything to worry about?

Evo X

Chicago?

fb0.jpg

I don't think he would have any case in a small claims court

I mean who would scratch their own phone number into a car and then deny it when called?

Wait so is it in your area or not?

FartOfWar

Banned
So, pretty sure this isn't an issue, but I just got a call from someone that was very angry that their car got scratched up.

The conversation didn't last long. He kept accusing me of having scratched up his car when I didn't do anything of the sort. I asked him why I would leave a note with my number after I scratched up his car, he 'retorted' with "Why'd you leave a note then?". I tell him I didn't leave any note because I wasn't there. Given that it's from Chicago, I am assuming that it wasn't simply randomly put there, though I can't imagine many people who would do that.

So. That's no fun. But do I have anything to worry about?

You cheat on any women recently?

kess

The conversation didn't last long. He kept accusing me of having scratched up his car when I didn't do anything of the sort. I asked him why I would leave a note with my number after I scratched up his car, he 'retorted' with "Why'd you leave a note then?".

Clearly what you need to do now is scratch his number onto 10 cars

Veelk

Banned
I don't think he would have any case in a small claims court

I mean who would scratch their own phone number into a car and then deny it when called?

Wait so is it in your area or not?

Sorta. I'm in a chicago suburb. I've been home for the past few days. I can't really verify it in any way. The most I've gone out is for food.

mackattk

I am assuming you don't live in Chicago? I wouldn't worry about it. If it got high enough for police to get involved, you should have some alibi that says that you weren't in Chicago at the time pretty easily.

Sorta. I'm in a chicago suburb. I've been home for the past few days. I can't really verify it in any way. The most I've gone out is for food.

If you have an android phone, Google might very well have tracked your location.

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?authuser=0

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
They probably took their number and added one or subtracted on to one of the numbers in their phone number.

stuminus3

Is it possibly someone who knows your number just pranking you and there is no car?

Maybe someone just calling random numbers and pranking whoever answers?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
He left your number SCRATCHED on the car, or scratched the car and left a note with your number?

Guy's attitude makes more sense if the number was on a note. He might think you accidentally scratched his car and left your contact info.

Veelk

Banned
Since the google tracking thing isn't working for me, would my internet history work? I was browsing literally all day today and the last few days. I assume he discovered it recently. If he only had done it in the last few minutes, then it's basically impossible for me to ahve done it.

He left your number SCRATCHED on the car, or scratched the car and left a note with your number?

Guy's attitude makes more sense if the number was on a note. He might think you accidentally scratched his car and left your contact info.

He didn't really make that clear before I hung up on him. I didn't feel like dealing with this unless I had a better understanding of what might have happened.

Is it possibly someone who knows your number just pranking you and there is no car?

Maybe someone just calling random numbers and pranking whoever answers?

That's another possibility, yeah

It'll be clear in the next few hours, if police come to arrest me.

Wait so reading the OP again, where was your phone number?

Scratched into his car or on a note left somewhere on the car?

If your number is supposed to be scratched into his car, get him to send you pictures of it saying you don't believe him

Ganhyun

He asked for my insurance information. Can he do anything with that, if I had given it?

if you give him that he will file a claim against you that you did it and your rate will go up. it could also possibly be seen as an admission of guilt (why give your insurance info afterall if you didnt do it?)

Veelk

Banned
if you give him that he will file a claim against you that you did it and your rate will go up. it could also possibly be seen as an admission of guilt (why give your insurance info afterall if you didnt do it?)

Uh... yeah, he could file a claim against it.

Okay, good then. I haven't been in any kind of accident yet, so I've never had to deal with insurance and stuff. I hung up before I gave him anything, even my name. So it's all good, unless he wants to take this up a notch. The only problem is finding a verifiable alibi since I've been by myself for the last few days.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Okay, good then. I haven't been in any kind of accident yet, so I've never had to deal with insurance and stuff. I hung up before I gave him anything, even my name. So it's all good, unless he wants to take this up a notch. The only problem is finding a verifiable alibi since I've been by myself for the last few days.

Don't sweat it. You don't really need an alibi. Dude has 0 evidence against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom