• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alien Isolation... When does the game start?

Chao

Grabbed the game in the summer PSN sale and... Man does this game ever get interesting? I've been playing for three nights and all I've been doing is silly door opening mini games and walking a lot. And I mean A LOT. Nothing feels scary or tense, just tedious work.

I thought this game was considered the best Alien game ever here on neogaf, but I think the game's pace is horrible so far, hope it gets better later or else I guess I've wasted my money.

Grabbed the game in the summer PSN sale and... Man does this game ever get interesting? I've been playing for three nights and all I've been doing is silly door opening mini games and walking a lot. And I mean A LOT. Nothing feels scary or tense, just tedious work.

I thought this game was considered the best Alien game ever here on neogaf, but I think the game's pace is horrible so far, hope it gets better later or else I guess I've wasted my money.

Keep going, once you get to medical, that's when shit gets real and tense as fuck.

I loved the opening hours of Alien personally, I don't mind some slow pacing when it benefits the atmosphere and tone of the game as well as Alien Isolation does.

Once shit hits the fan it's pretty much always on, stick with the game up to the medical labs.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You've been playing for three nights and all you've done is walk around?! You do know some of the corridors are circular ... right?

Yes, I've seen the Alien once, and then I've played for a good bunch of hours without seeing it again and I'm just hiding from synthetic guys

You haven't really encountered it yet, keep playing.

EDIT: Play with headphones if possible.

Chao

I loved the opening hours of Alien personally, I don't mind some slow pacing when it benefits the atmosphere and tone of the game as well as Alien Isolation does.

Once shit hits the fan it's pretty much always on, stick with the game up to the medical labs.

You haven't really encountered it yet, keep playing.

Shit, so it's a really slow start then. I'll keep playing until I reach that lab and I'll see what happens

LQX

It is not a fast pace action game. It takes time. Also if you can play it with headphones.

Mohonky

Yes, I've seen the Alien once, and then I've played for a good bunch of hours without seeing it again and I'm just hiding from synthetic guys

So you're not even past the intro.

The game has a kind of lengthy intro, it lets you really soak up how well CA have recreated the Alien world and asthetic and gives you some time to get get familiar with it.

Once the Alien does take an interest in you it is almost relentless. You'll be thankful for periods of quiet where its lost interest in you for a bit.

EGM1966

The pace is fine and modelled after the film where it's a slow build.

If that's too slow for you then the game isn't for you I reckon.

You can grit your teeth and push through to when the shit really hits the fan or abandon ship.

The game is never action orientated though so if hiding and avoidance aren't your thing I suspect you thought best Alien game meant best Aliens game. But this is really aligned with Scott's take not Cameron's and there's no frantic pulse riffle action at all.

The number of Alien Isolation LTTP threads is mind numbing. That guy that made the thread collecting them should do an update. ;)

Malcolm9

What the hell have you been doing for three days?? :)

Honestly once the meet the Alien for the first time it'll get even more interesting. I loved the start as you get to see the how well created the levels are in relation to Alien.

The number of Alien Isolation LTTP threads is mind numbing. That guy that made the thread collecting them should do an update. ;)

I am glad people realize this game is not like that terrible Gearbox one. That game left such a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, that they were reluctant to buy another Alien game so soon after that debacle.

Miguel81

The game is very long, and most of it is tense as hell. You should keep at it, OP. Btw, are you playing on Hard?

Wabba

Finished it some days ago after recommendation from Gaf. I cant name a game that has better atmosphere then this, a absolutely beautiful game. In terms of gameplay it is one of the worst games i have ever played. A glorified hide and seek game where you are finding keycards to open doors for 20 hours. No variety, no excitement. To answer your question, if you dont like the beginning you are not going to like the game further on.

WX3

It took me about 7 hours to get to medical, and by then I was starting to get tired of it. I haven't gotten back into it since then. I really think I will finish it someday, but the initial feelings were not on par with what I expected. I still have it installed right now, so maybe I will check out my save and see if I can pick up where I left off? Not something I would normally do.

Kaversmed

The game is made for fans of the first Alien movie. If you love the movie you WILL love the game imo. The game basically has the same pacing and atmosphere of the movie and It's perfect - even though the game does drag out a bit too long, but the first few hours are perfect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, you're hiding from Working Joes and finding the game boring and tedious? I loved that section. :\

It's a very long game, though. I appreciate the lengthy setup. They didn't just throw the Alien out straight away - it has real buildup.

Marvel

could never
I'm playing this right now, and yes it gets interesting.

Currently at chapter 6.

Oh... you'll be seeing a lot more of the Alien soon. He stalks you often when you get past the human/synthetics part.

After three days of playing - if you still aren't enjoying it then this game probably isn't for you. It's slow, tense and chock full of atmosphere. Easily one of my favourite games of last year but hey it's not for everyone.

There's a certain hour where the game just suddenly clicks. For me the atmosphere in the first hour got me hooked, but once I reached the Medical Bay the tension got multiplied by ten.

In all honesty. If you have already reached the Medical Bay and the game still feels boring to you, it is better to just leave it at that.

There is another 15 hours full of the same backtracking, keycard swiping, hiding from synthetics and escaping from the Alien.

It might sound boring but under that layer of in some people's opinion, 'repetitiveness', there lies one of the better Survival Horror game since years.

Golicz

Banned
I'm playing this right now, and yes it gets interesting.

Currently at chapter 6.

Oh... you'll be seeing a lot more of the Alien soon. He stalks you often when you get past the human/synthetics part.

I need to get past the medical lab myself, but, I generally 'freak out' when I hear the music change (which is the first indicator of the Alien's presence), a beep on the motion tracker & *thud* *thud* *thud* *door opens* *hissing* *game over*

Actually, any tips on 'how' to survive that area would be greatly appreciated (I think it's chapter 5), because I personally love the atmosphere, gameplay, crafting & everything about the game; yet it's extremely stressful - something I need to overcome in order to enjoy the game fully (I'm playing in hard as well, because 'why not', i.e. Alien should be scary & tense, after all).

I need to get past the medical lab myself, but, I generally 'freak out' when I hear the music change (which is the first indicator of the Alien's presence), a beep on the motion tracker & *thud* *thud* *thud* *door opens* *hissing* *game over*

Actually, any tips on 'how' to survive that area would be greatly appreciated (I think it's chapter 5), because I personally love the atmosphere, gameplay, crafting & everything about the game; yet it's extremely stressful - something I need to overcome in order to enjoy the game fully (I'm playing in hard as well, because 'why not', i.e. Alien should be scary & tense, after all).

The key to surviving is to keep moving despite the fact that your gut tells you to stay put.

When the alien passes you immediately walk away (don't run!) towards your objective because if you stay put the alien will eventually find you.

daakusedo

The game can be fast though.
There's some point when you understand how it works and a lot less time is spent crouching and hiding. Anyway I don't know how it was for others but the intro shouldn't take that long.
And we're not even talking about speedrun strats, now that's on another level.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit; especially the tension building and the gameplay contrast from working joe / alien hide and seek.

It may feel a bit long in the end as you are finally trying to "get the job done", but damn if there are not some amazing parts. I was so engrossed in one part with the game volume so loud on my speaker set that my neighbor came by complaining and asked "what the hell kind of music do I listen to?!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
By biggest complaint about the game is that the game takes waaaaaaaay too long to get going. There's building atmosphere and there's needlessly boring the player for a long time. They went overboard with the intro. The atmosphere built was sufficient long before the developers decided it was. But once the game gets going it becomes amazing and doesn't really stop.

nkarafo

I love the pacing in the game, including the "slow start". Not everything has to be fast paced or "evenly" paced like a movie, for people with short attention spans (the majority i guess?)

Also, 3 days? Unless you play less than an hour each playthrough, i don't know why you are still so early in the game. I assume this will take you weeks to finish.

Dyna

In terms of gameplay it is one of the worst games i have ever played. A glorified hide and seek game where you are finding keycards to open doors for 20 hours. No variety, no excitement.

That's just overexaggerating, there's a lot more to the game than just collecting keycards. Of course it's essentially a "glorified hide and seek", after all, you are trying to avoid and outsmart a terrifying creature throughout the whole game... That doesn't mean it's a bad game. And no excitement? Really? I doubt you even played through the whole game to be honest!

nkarafo

A glorified hide and seek game
How many successful "hide and seek" games you know of? How many games do this kind of thing well?

You know, some people waited for a good hide and seek game for decades. I was hiding from the Alien for hours and enjoyed every second of it. Because i never played a proper hide and seek game before. Anything else before it felt too scripted and fake.

Maybe the genre of "hide and seek" is not for you.

Top Bottom