• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles "Gallian Crossfire" PC rebalance mod - This Changes Everything

Nyoro SF

Mod Download Link
Full Patch Notes and Steam Guide

Recently a person named Busard (who is likely the most knowledgeable person regarding Valkyria Chronicles 1 on the entire planet) created a rebalance mod for VC1 PC. I gave it the title of "Gallian Crossfire" because having an official title helps spread the word a little.

So all 450k+ of you who purchased this game can now be properly challenged and take advantage of yet another perk of playing this game on PC. This rebalance mod increases the diversity of strategies (upping the types of weapons and changing out bad potentials, for instance) and removes some of the easy-mode exploits (rushing like a madman with defense orders) in the game. It's a pretty monumental set of changes.

Two months ago, I decided to mod the PC version of Valkyria Chronicles and my mod is at last complete.

This mod for Valkyria Chronicles is a rebalance mod for the main game and the DLCs.
This mod is made for a fresh new game (directly choosing New Game at the title screen).

In the archive, you will find the following files:
My VC Mod - this is the mod itself, copy/paste all the files into your "Valkyria Chronicles" directory which should be located in "Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common".
Reset Extra DLCs - Contains a file named "sysdata.dat" which you can copy into your savedata folder to reset the Extra DLCs to their "New" state (as if you never played "Behind her Blue Flame" and "Enter the Edy Detachment" DLCs); This is completely optional, however.
Files Backup - These are the original files, if you want to revert back to the original version of the game.
README - Please read.

Bt8bRmV.jpg

PATCH NOTES.
Edited for English readers. This is not fully comprehensive to add to some element of newness for when you fire it up for the first time. :)

VERY IMPORTANT:

ALWAYS KEEP ALICIA, ROSIE & LARGO IN THE SQUAD
DO NOT LET ANY OF THEM DIE PERMANENTLY
OR AT THE VERY LEAST DO NOT LET ALICIA DIE BEFORE CHAPTER 8A

General:
- A-Rank turn requirements have been changed accordingly due to the rebalance.
- Rewarded cash and experience bonuses have also been changed. Overall if you A rank and kill all enemies, 50% of the reward is from the base cash/exp bonus, 25% is from the mission rank, and 25% is from killing key targets.
- Edy Squad Skirmishes don't give any EXP/DCT reward anymore to prevent early-game grinding exploits and the weapons earned have been heavily altered.
- Enemy stats have been increased so that their stats would be close to Squad 7 units at the same level. Before, enemies had pretty poor stats overall compared to Squad 7.
- Critical (headshot) damage multiplier has been reduced to x2 damage. It was originally x3.5 in VC1. As another example, it was x2.5 in VC2 & VC3.
- Damage reduction from evading has been reduced.
- Defense bonus from camps has been increased.
- Defense bonus from crawling is changed to be the same as crouching.

Infantry, Structures
- All infantry got an AP increase except for Scouts and Engineers.
- Alicia, Rosie and Largo are no longer leaders with an auto-assigned CP bonus. The number of CPs you get per mission has been changed accordingly to make up for this.
- Musaad, Lynn, Audrey, Knute and Emile are no longer hidden characters and can be added to the squad like anyone else.
- Snipers and Anti-Tank Cannons can now fire interception rounds. Snipers have a small interception radius and turn more slowly than other units to face you when preparing to fire.
- Shocktroopers have a wider interception radius.
- Blast Armor (Lancer Armor) damage reduction to explosions has been reduced. Lancers can walk on a few mines, but can no longer clear a whole minefield by themselves.
- Certain enemy units had their vsArmor statistic increased to damage your tanks with their interception fire (For example the Marberry turrets).
- Enemy aces and bosses also have modified stats.
- Most enemies now use black armor, while aces retain their red armor; purely aesthetic to make it easy to know that the mod is active.

Weaponry:
- Most weapon stats have been changed overall. As an example accuracy has been increased for most weapons to create less early-game frustration such as Lancers missing from point blank range.
- Enemy weapon stats have been changed dramatically across the board.
- Both Anti-Infantry and Anti-Tank mines do more damage.
-The R&D has been revamped for several weapons to get rid of useless skill trees. For example, Sniper Rifles now have the skill trees "Anti-Infantry", "Anti-Tank", "Interception". Another example is with the Flamethrower skill trees being changed to "Anti-Infantry" and "Anti-Tank".
- The "Aim" stat is now truer to the aiming reticle.
- Engineers get their own anti-tank grenades upgrades.
- Some rifles are Scout-only or Engineer-only now.

Tanks
- Enemy tanks' radiator resistance has been increased. Changed to be similar to VC2 and VC3 where killing a tank with a Scout is harder.
- Edelweiss last weapon upgrade also increases its power and not just its range.
- Tank parts have been changed to HP (body and tread), DEF (body and tread), Radiator, Accuracy and AP.
- Tank parts are smaller and give a higher bonus.

Orders & Potentials:
- Certain Potentials and Orders have been removed or changed. Example Orders: Caution, Penetration. Example Potentials: Resist Crossfire, Invincible, Phoenix, Double Movement. Some Potentials were changed into a trade-off (for example, "Double Movement" became the "Second Wind" Potential which restores your AP on top of your HP when you use your Ragnaid).
- Potential Effects and Activation Requirements were also changed overall. Example Potential: "Stealth" which increases Defense is completely useless when no one shoots at you so it was changed to give an Attack boost instead.
- Potentials have a higher activation rate, many closer to 100%. Before, there were many Potentials that no one ever saw get activated because of their low activation probabilities.
- Orders were altered overall in regards to effects and CP costs. For example, Defense Boost has been nerfed, and Aim Boost has been buffed.
- Orders unlock requirements have been changed completely. Leveling each class over time unlocks 3 Orders relevant to the class's main stat (such as Evasions - Scouts, Accuracy - Snipers, Utility - Engineers, etc.)
-The old man at the graveyard can now give you any one of his 9 teachable Orders starting from chapter 4 unlike before where he would have a smaller pool of random orders that increased per chapter. Recon Request is still NG+ only.

Selvaria DLC:
- All imperials are now aces.
- All imperials are now leaders.
- All imperials have powerful weapons.
- All imperials have high stats.
- All Gallians shall die!

Though he said he is done, I'm sure he'll be up for any feedback to improve the mod. English isn't his first language and he doesn't have a GAF account but I'll direct him to this thread if you have anything you want to say. You can also write something on GameFAQs to him if you'd like.

SephLuis

I can't play the PC version right now, but from what I gathered, this will make the game much harder for run and destroy tactics, while making defensive tactics better.

I might be mistaken, but I think this might create a few bottlenecks because of some maps.

Hopefully, some people will post impressions and we will see how this mod goes.

Sounds neat, if I ever get something that can run the PC version I'll surely check this out.
For now I'll just weep over my PS3 disc or something.

Nyoro SF

I can't play the PC version right now, but from what I gathered, this will make the game much harder for run and destroy tactics, while making defensive tactics better.

I might be mistaken, but I think this might create a few bottlenecks because of some maps.

Hopefully, some people will post impressions and we will see how this mod goes.

The number of turns you need to get an A-Rank on missions has been tweaked overall.

Naturally if you come across any missions that are impossible to A-Rank, I would like to hear your feedback for it.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm actually "playing" this now. It should've been called "Cut-scene - The Video Game." It's ridiculous. >_< Still, I'll likely give this a try if they ever let me actually play the game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Freaking subbed.

Though, I'm going to beat the vanilla game once, so I'll actually understand how much has changed.

Nyoro SF

Would you recommend this for a first-time playthrough?

I was debating this when I made the thread.
How I feel; if you're the kind of person that likes to be challenged hard from the get-go, absolutely.
Also if you're the kind of person that likes to "break" games to maximize your potential strategies, definitely.

However if you're not really a strategy game natural and you're not a YouTube cheater (heh) then it's entirely up to you. Both ways of playing the game are enjoyable.

Nyoro SF

No increased interception DPS from synched FPS its-not-a-bug-its-a-feature? Or does this matter with this?

That was patched out, though I believe if you increase your game past 60fps to 90,120,144,etc. that can still happen.

This mod was balanced around the standard 30 and 60fps gameplay. So as long as you stay on those two rates you'll be fine.

Is Ruhm still grossly overpowered post game escapism? Using that thing is so much fun

I believe it was nerfed, though I haven't checked yet.

Riposte

I'm a few chapters into a replay. I guess I could start over if I want to check out this mod. Seems really cool.

I mean usually, I just ignore orders outright to keep the game somewhat balanced.

varkuriru

Sounds awesome! I fell into the trap trying to get A rank for mission by rushing on PS3. Will give this a try at some point.

MegaPanda

Omg this sounds amazing. Can I install this after I beat the game and do a NG+ run with it?
I'm pretty far into the vanilla game right now

SephLuis

The number of turns you need to get an A-Rank on missions has been tweaked overall.

Naturally if you come across any missions that are impossible to A-Rank, I would like to hear your feedback for it.

If I could, I would play it and give feedback, but my gaming PC is busted >.>

One thing that worries me thought, is snipers returning fire and a few missions where there isn't much cover. This is me theorizing from what I remember of the game, which was a long time ago since I played it.

Nyoro SF

Omg this sounds amazing. Can I install this after I beat the game and do a NG+ run with it?
I'm pretty far into the vanilla game right now

I was told that this was "New Game only", but if you don't mind backing up your saves and doing a test for me that would be great.

(I'm still at work... and probably won't get home until late)

If I could, I would play it and give feedback, but my gaming PC is busted >.>

One thing that worries me thought, is snipers returning fire and a few missions where there isn't much cover. This is me theorizing from what I remember of the game, which was a long time ago since I played it.

Don't worry, you still have your own snipers to take down those guys. :p
This game is flexible like that.

Pein

Banned
wow 450k people bought VC? any chance we get ports of 2 and 3 now? or hell even a true HD sequel would be amazing.

Well it seems this mod is for people looking for a challenge.

I think it's great that mods are finally coming to VC.

even when i'm satisfied with the game balance and i'm not looking to make things more difficult.

SephLuis

Anyway, I bought VC during the previous summer sale but I haven't started a game up. I played it back on the PS3 but never bet it, I might fire it up depending on the feedback of this mod.

You might want to finiah the regular version first. Those changes will change a lot of the strategies availables in the game, making it a whole different beast.

tbd

Thought it's something that would make the game faster, less stupid camera zooms and characters walk more than two feet.

Well, I pass.

Hmm, what's the rationale for characters like Emile and Lynn not being hidden? I thought only becoming available upon their relatives getting knocked out in battle (does
Oscar
have to die after unlocking the special potential or can he be rescued for Emile to appear?).

The mod sounds amazing regardless. I'll definitely give it a whirl after playing through VC on PC normally.

I am going to have 100 hours on Steam for just the base game by the time I figure out hard and expert skirmishes.

Not sure if I'll be ready for this even then.

Nyoro SF

I am going to have 100 hours on Steam for just the base game by the time I figure out hard and expert skirmishes.

Not sure if I'll be ready for this even then.

I already have 100 hours... RIP

Hmm, what's the rationale for characters like Emile and Lynn not being hidden? I thought only becoming available upon their relatives getting knocked out in battle (does
Oscar
have to die after unlocking the special potential or can he be rescued for Emile to appear?).

The mod sounds amazing regardless. I'll definitely give it a whirl after playing through VC on PC normally.

No special shenanigans, Emile just appears in the rotation.
The problem is that a lot of people didn't play NG+, so they never even realized these characters existed. This gives people a bigger chance to get more characters they may like.

Thought it's something that would make the game faster, less stupid camera zooms and characters walk more than two feet.

Well, I pass.

This whole post is amazing, but that last one.... L O L

Shengar

wow 450k people bought VC? any chance we get ports of 2 and 3 now? or hell even a true HD sequel would be amazing.
One of, if not the best selling game woth "anime" aesthetic as I believe. Recettear comes second at 400k sales. I haven't checked Naruto or Dragonball games though.

This is a really cool fan effort. I love Valkyria Chronicles. I own it on PS3 and PC, and I didn't know any mods were being worked on. To see such a huge project is really surprising.

The game definitely has balance issues, some of which are remedied by its sequel. Scout rushing and certain order combinations are just too strong. Glad to see this fixes that, but I probably won't try anything like this until I've gone back and gotten 100% on everything, at least.

That was patched out, though I believe if you increase your game past 60fps to 90,120,144,etc. that can still happen.

This mod was balanced around the standard 30 and 60fps gameplay. So as long as you stay on those two rates you'll be fine.

I believe it was nerfed, though I haven't checked yet.

That sucks, I was hoping this could codify that, or render it unnecessary.

Well, guess it's time to replay the game now that all the strategies I memorized are going to be utterly broken now.

Is it safe to say this is probably the Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul of Valkyria Chronicles?

It allows the snipers, lancers, and shocktroopers, who had the abysmal movement range, to move further than they did in the stock game.

I know from reading Busard's posts on GameFAQs that he really knows the game. I'm sure his mod will be a big improvement in gameplay terms. It'll be a while before I have time to delve into it in a big way but I look forward to it.

Nyoro SF

Well, guess it's time to replay the game now that all the strategies I memorized are going to be utterly broken now.

Is it safe to say this is probably the Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul of Valkyria Chronicles?

I have not played Oblivion... so yes. :p
Granted there was more he could've done. But when you only have access to HEX, it can be quite the challenge to fix things.

Also uh, BTW, I think the title could have been worded better, IE, putting PC Rebalance Mod directly after Valkyria Chronicles.

Thought Sega announced a new game/VC3 localization for a second there from glancing around the forum.

Nyoro SF

Also uh, BTW, I think the title could have been worded better, IE, putting PC Rebalance Mod directly after Valkyria Chronicles.

Thought Sega announced a new game/VC3 localization for a second there from glancing around the forum.

I see what you mean, and that wasn't my intention. :p
I was just trying to grab people's attention with a nice title.

"Long War" runs right off the tongue... I wanted to use "War of the Lions" because of the Lion's Paw that appears in the game, but that's taken. Heh

Well why don't we just call it Valkyria Chronicles: Long War then? It makes the most sense, and noone bitched about Brutal Half Life and Brutal Quake copying Brutal Doom's nomenclature.

Nyoro SF

Well why don't we just call it Valkyria Chronicles: Long War then? It makes the most sense, and noone bitched about Brutal Half Life and Brutal Quake copying Brutal Doom's nomenclature.

I thought it might've been harder to find in search engines. Well, it's mostly semantics, I don't think anyone even noticed the subtitle... lol

I asked Busard to publish his work as a Steam Guide, but maybe he didn't understand my request. It's possible this mod will have no name when it becomes more well-known among the VC players anyway.

Top Bottom