• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the RSX and Cell been reduced in size over the PS3 Super Slim's lifespan? (Pics)

Vashetti

Banned
Hey guys, been doing some reading as I'm quite interested in the PS3's hardware (sad I know), and I was interested to come across some findings that suggest that the Super Slim PS3 has gone through several internal changes throughout it's lifespan.

There have been three iterations of the Super Slim, the CECH-4000, 4200, and 4300 (the latest model on the market).

In the 4300, the HDD access indicator light was removed

20140902144601.jpg

Something has changed regarding the RSX

This site here (requires translating) seems to suggest that the RSX has been reduced in size from a 40nm process to 28nm

Whilst there are also differences with the Cell too

Anyone know anymore about this? Can someone who owns a 4200 or 4300 Super Slim do a power consumption test to see if there have been any improvements?

No_Style

Thanks for posting this. I lost track of the PS4's revision after the Super Slim. I wonder how much it costs to manufacture now.

spuit*11

Banned
There were some Linkedin pages of IBM engineers a couple of years ago that showed work had been done in migrating Cell BE to 22nm.

spuit*11

Banned
I think this is probably (one of) the final revisions.

Not sure if they want or even can make a PS3 SoC.
Because: 1. It'll cost money and 2. nVidia might not let them even if IBM will.

Maybe they could go through the hassle if they want to make a PS Now box.
But then other -cheaper- systems might suffice, so you don't really need a Cell and a gimped GeForce 7800 unless you're doing PS3 stuff locally.

RIP dreams of a PS3 dongle

Vashetti

Banned
Has anyone checked those models for power consumption & noise levels?

It would be great if someone could check the power consumption.

But noise wise, it's generally agreed the Super Slims are very quiet, except when accessing data from a game disk because the sliding disk lid is very thin plastic.

I wish they would make a final, super-small redesign of the console that looks like the PSone, and call it the PSthree. The current super-slim is very ugly.

Bl@de

Interesting. Would be very nice to know power consumption and noise levels. I have the 4004A model (Germany) and while it's not loud (compared to the PS3 FAT and PS4) you can still hear the fan after 1-2h of playing (my silent comparison: A silent PC with a Fractal R4 case. Loud begins very very quickly for me^^)
Though it is too late to wish for it ... a PS3 Super slim the size of the PS2 slim with a very silent fan would be awesome. To keep for future nostalgia attacks.

Mokujin

I wish they would make a final, super-small redesign of the console that looks like the PSone, and call it the PSthree. The current super-slim is very ugly.

This would be awesome, I would have switched my slim to super-slim long time ago if it wasn't hideous, new model power consumption and noise would be interesting to know though.

I would love it if they shrunk it enough to make a unique PS4 SKU with a Cell and RSX inside. I'd buy another PS4 for that.

Vashetti

Banned

I would love it if they shrunk it enough to make a unique PS4 SKU with a Cell and RSX inside. I'd buy another PS4 for that.

I can't see Sony sinking anymore R&D money into PS3 development with how much the console sales have plummetted, would love to proven wrong though.

I think 4300 will be the last PS3 model.

Koobion

This is quite exciting. I've been hoping for a crazy small PS3 that's especially cool-running and reliable. It'd be incredible to have something even remotely as tiny as the mini PS2, but I definitely don't expect that to happen. This die shrink is still really significant though.

Thraktor

The Cell was gradually scaled down from a 90nm process originally, and as far as I know current models use a 45nm chip. I think the same is true for the RSX (down to 40nm), but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: Just reading the original post more carefully, it's possible that Cell may be on 32nm by now (IBM have been manufacturing 32nm chips for a couple of years now), but I doubt it's as low as 22nm yet, as it's still an expensive process (as far as I know they're still only fabbing POWER8 on it). For RSX there's an equally good chance it might be on 28nm.

Elitist1945

Yeah my Super Slim PS3 is like dead quiet. Its awesome, and the looks have grown on me.

I keep forgetting to close the lid after taking a game out, though.

dr_rus

But then other -cheaper- systems might suffice, so you don't really need a Cell and a gimped GeForce 7800 unless you're doing PS3 stuff locally.

NV is selling their graphics chips IPs to anyone who wants them these days. Why wouldn't they let them? It's more probable that building such a SoC requires more money than they'll be able to save with it.

I can't see Sony sinking anymore R&D money into PS3 development with how much the console sales have plummetted, would love to proven wrong though.

I think 4300 will be the last PS3 model.

If PSNow really takes off, more Cell investment in shrinks makes sense. But I agree, we've seen the last PS3 revision.

Bowl0l

Hope that Sony cramps a PS3 into a PS4 and call it new PS4. I will buy it as long it supports more than 2TB and it uses 3.5" HDD.

Vashetti

Banned
Sorry to bump, but there must be someone on GAF who owns the 4200/4300 PS3 and can do a power consumption test, surely?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd have done another redesign, I don't really like the super slim. I'll probably still get one if there is a good holiday deal on them though, to replace my aging fatty 40GB.

Atolm

I was wondering if it's posible to know which revision you have from the console's box, or which bundles have the lastest revision.

I think I'm gonna buy one of those Super Slims (my console is a 120GB original Slim) if they're that quiet. The games I still have to play are from PS Plus mostly and I have the PS4 original HDD sitting around, so it would be very convenient.

Caayn

I was wondering if it's posible to know which revision you have from the console's box, or which bundles have the lastest revision.

I think I'm gonna buy one of those Super Slims (my console is a 120GB original Slim) if they're that quiet. The games I still have to play are from PS Plus mostly and I have the PS4 original HDD sitting around, so it would be very convenient.
The revision number is on the bottom, top and both sides of the box with the Super Slim.

That's what I remember reading a few years ago, Sony wanting to go the SoC route with Cell and RSX but NVIDIA for whatever reason wouldn't agree to it.

Vashetti

Banned

Yeah, Super Slim would be a great console for a (mostly) digital user, the majority of the noise comes from the disc drive.

Atolm

I'm a bit worried though because I remember reading somewhere that certain games like GTAV performed worse, or something like that. I think it was only when you played the downloadable version because then it loses the data streaming from the BR drive. I'm a bit paranoid with those things.

Massa

I have a cech-2100 slim and bought the first super slim, didn't really notice anything better regarding noise. It was pretty much the same in idle conditions, I ended up selling it.

I'm a bit worried though because I remember reading somewhere that certain games like GTAV performed worse, or something like that. I think it was only when you played the downloadable version because then it loses the data streaming from the BR drive. I'm a bit paranoid with those things.

That wasn't about the console model, just which version of the game you bought.

just install a 7.2K RPM HDD , it will work just fine. /from experience

i have a super slim because i switched my fat one, gonna check it later on when i get home

and yes, i have it right now for digital games and is whisper quiet

-hadouken

Apologies for the necro. Looking to hunt down a super slim for archival purposes. So what's the consensus - were the RSX and Cell revised for the 4200 or 4300 series?

Something has changed regarding the RSX

20140902135435.jpg

Left: 4 x GDDR3 chips (128-bit bus)
Right: 2 x GDDR5? chips (64-bit bus???)

Is that correct or not? Very interesting.

ps: RSX (and maybe Cell) could definitely use a 14-16nm die shrink. It will be really tiny & low power.

Hope that Sony cramps a PS3 into a PS4 and call it new PS4. I will buy it as long it supports more than 2TB and it uses 3.5" HDD.
A new PS4? Sounds like PS4 Neo. :)

That's what I remember reading a few years ago, Sony wanting to go the SoC route with Cell and RSX but NVIDIA for whatever reason wouldn't agree to it.
Why not though?

NV47/G70 is really ancient IP. What do they have to lose?

~

Does anyone know what chips (nm) do they use for PS Now? Surely they can't be using 40-45nm variants.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I remember being really bummed out about that. It was the first time I had purchased a full priced retail game via digital download for a console. It was also the last.

Top Bottom