• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #173 - "Furry"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Theme- Furry

kitsune_fursuit_5_by_kitsuneq-d4drbd2.jpg

Word Limit- 2,000 words

Submission Deadline: Friday August 28 at 11:59pm pst

Voting deadline: Monday August 31 at 11:59pst

There is a six hour grace period for both deadlines. Submissions made after the grace periods are ineligible, and votes after are not counted. Remember that these are grace periods, and that you should try your best to submit on time.

Optional secondary Objective: Something is missing. Choose one element(either physical or metaphorical) and make it disappear completely from your world.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Cyan

Banned
I already have an idea for the secondary. My story will be missing any reference or relation to the theme.

Neeener

Neo Member
but wait! we all know when FlowersisBritish says "furry" what he actually means is FURY.

So let's just go with that, K? :)

Nezumi

I had this idea for a story where I thought, that no matter what the theme us I'll somehow make it work... Boy was I wrong.

but wait! we all know when FlowersisBritish says "furry" what he actually means is FURY.

So let's just go with that, K? :)

That's a good point. A very good point indeed.

Mandelbo

I feel like I should give this a try. I've never entered any of these contests before but hey, it could be fun! Especially with that theme!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
You know there's a furry community thread on NeoGAF right?

I did not, but I also didn't want to be too much of an asshole. That's why I tried to avoid Con photos for my joke pic, and instead went for a ridiculous deviant art pic.

They're as welcome as anyone else to participate in this challenge.

Cowlick

Banned
I'm 12 and what is this.

PS: I sent Mike a PM with the in-progress tally for the last thread to post overnight, but seems it wasn't needed what with such a clear flowery-Britishy winner. Congrats FiB and thank you to everyone for putting up with this cow's attempt at running a challenge thread.

Furry stories? Yeah, sure, I can d that, let me just link my Sofurry account and-

Oh, wait... you want not-smut.

Nevermind then. XD

Izuna

Banned
When I get home today, I'm going to submit a 2000 word story without checking it. My plan? Make it less about Furry as possible while being about Furry.

Ashes

Banned
I was going to write about untrustworthy politicians who make a 180 on their pledges after we elect them, but I won't do that.

Its a shame we concentrate so much on the sexual aspect of Furry subculture.

I'd say some of the best examples of anthropomorphism in literature are great literature in of themselves.

Watership Down is one my favourite novels.

I read that as 'plasticians' for some reason and it made total sense to me.

But I'm interpreting it in the broad scope, in particular because I already had a small draft that completely circumvents having to deal with it. :p
Unfortunately, aside from the setup, I don't know what to do with it storywise.

btw, just thinking about this made me realise even more how silly the 'maladjusted dinosaur' plot in Jurassic World was, because that applies mostly to mammals (and modern birds, yes, but 'no feathers' kind of destroys that). Eh.
The link here - that I didn't mention - is the 'furry pole' test done with baby chimps on which this maladjustment result is based.

Gnome

The fur was thick and matted. The sticky residue filled the room with the pungent aroma of...

Not doing this.

I've decided this is a good excuse to write a little bit for that setting I've been working on. Alas the word count will be the end of me. Already about a quarter used up for just the introduction. :p

belmonkey

Oooh, sounds like a fun topic :3

Can't say I'm familiar with writing clean stuff though :/

I'm sure it would be a fun thing to try.

Cyan

Banned
Oh yeah, usually I give more explanation but I've gotten sort of used to the hangout at this point so I sometimes forget. The idea is to hang out and write (with peer pressure!). We chat for ten minutes then write for thirty with mics muted, and repeat this three times.

For the person who just popped in and out: no webcam or even mic is required, it's ok to hang out and talk in the text chat if you like, or not talk at all and just write along with us when the writing periods are going. :)

KC Denton

Oh yeah, usually I give more explanation but I've gotten sort of used to the hangout at this point so I sometimes forget. The idea is to hang out and write (with peer pressure!). We chat for ten minutes then write for thirty with mics muted, and repeat this three times.

For the person who just popped in and out: no webcam or even mic is required, it's ok to hang out and talk in the text chat if you like, or not talk at all and just write along with us when the writing periods are going. :)

Ah, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can join for a future challenge!

Ashes

Banned
So I'm talking to somebody and they think they're all that. World's best writer. etc. And I said but you have lots of problems with pov. And they were like, what? whatchu talking about mother fucker? yeah. you move from Third Person Omniscient to Third Person Limited far too many times without rhyme nor reason. And they were like dude. I was like what. They were like dude. I was like what? what's third person limited?

pov.

Go get learnt about it. Cause I ain't got a clue. and I'm not your teacher. like.

Not sure about this one, but... yeah.

#hobocoat (1996 words)

New formatting, password protected. And you can quote me on that.

quickly read it, because ain't got nothin' better to do. And saves me the time of doing it later.

"The smell. Red paint. And Gloria..."

that 'and' needs to go. It's annoying the shit out of me. Other than that I'm fine with it. Neat completion, even if a tad forced (
Killing characters for quick drama is kind of a cliché, but with stories this length that is bound to come up. That why I didn't mention in the previous two threads
). There is some other slightly awkward prose in there ("...a notorious space for.." space? Location seems more apt given the context. Hotspot would be too trendy for an ancient person though.), but you could just fix that tomorrow. Or choose not to.

I dread posting anything in these threads of my own at this point.

Keleesto

Neo Member
Just realized it's Friday, not Saturday so I still have time to edit!

The previous Thursday deadline has thrown off my days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom