• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Asia-Pacific celebrates 1 year anniversary of Xbox One with Fan Festival

ZhugeEX

Banned
seUR350.jpg

Microsoft is celebrating the one year anniversary of Xbox One in Asian markets this month. To mark the occasion Microsoft have been holding fan festivals in key markets starting with South Korea on September 2nd, Taiwan on September 5th, Hong Kong on September 7th and ending with Singapore on September 9th. In China there will be promotions for the one year anniversary coming soon.

Starting September 2nd the Korean event saw over 100 dedicated fans turn up to try out brand new Xbox games on more than 40 demo consoles.The company showcased new much-hyped video games including exclusive Xbox One titles Halo 5: Guardians and Forza Motorsport 6 which are scheduled to be launched later this year and will be fully localised for the Korean market. There was applause when the full Korean localisations were announced.

Also shown was the Forza and Halo limited edition consoles that will launch later this year in the country, the Xbox One elite controller and Elite 1TB console will also make its way to South Korea later this year.

Please take a look at this video for highlights from the event- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN8JrBU65Sk

"This is an unprecedented occasion to introduce this many new blockbuster titles for the Xbox console," Microsoft Korea Consumer Channel Group Director Yoo Woo-jong said during a media event in Seoul, Wednesday. "Titles like Halo and Forza Motorsport series have many dedicated fans here. We expect the launch of new titles will positively affect sales of the Xbox One consoles."

The Taiwan event was attended by more than 400 people and all the same announcements as the Korean event. One unique announcement was that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be localised with Chinese voice for fans to enjoy. Something that Chinese gamers do not normally see from foreign owned games. Also backwards compatibility will be coming to Xbox One across Asia in November allowing them to play their current 360 library. EA Access is also coming exclusively to Xbox One in Asia.

In Hong Kong around 100 people attended including Frank O'Conner from 343 Industries, the same announcements as above were made including the confirmation that Halo world championship is launching soon! Also of note was Microsoft's mention that new games were coming to the console in 2016, they specifically mentioned a list of games that would launch before the new year including Dark Souls 3. From this we can ascertain that Dark Souls 3 will launch before February 8th 2016.

One lucky winner from each event was given an Xbox One for free!

The final event will take place in Singapore on the 9th and is expected to be attended by over 100 fans who have already signed up.

Microsoft Asia-Pacific remains dedicated to bringing the Xbox One and related games to Asian markets. The install base of Xbox One is fairly small in Asia but it's good to see Microsoft supporting smaller communities like this.

Bonus video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IApK90xt6pQ
Bonus Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6joXLQz-s (Tomb Raider off screen)

Best reaction to localisation announcement:
V0ecXD.gif

(I made this because Dualshockers coverage of the event has been lazy)

Frog-fu

Banned
inb4 people give MS shit for still giving a fuck.

It's great they keep trying in Asia, even without huge successes or gains. There are still gamers there that love their platform so good for them.

I was in the one in Hong Kong. It's pretty nice that they dedicated to do some localization for the Asia region. A lot of people here are for sony, but hopefully will gain some traction.

Tried out the elite controller, it felt really nice, especially the analog stick.

Good on them for still holding events and trying to localize some games for the market with MCC and Tomb Raider.

Thanks for the thread, it was an informative and interesting read.

Where in Taiwan was the event? I'm assuming it was here in Taipei?

It's strange because I'm part of a rather large gaming community here and nobody seemed to know about it/mention it. I have no intention of getting an Xbox One anytime soon but would have loved to check out the event and try out Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Sorry I missed out.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Where in Taiwan was the event? I'm assuming it was here in Taipei?

It's strange because I'm part of a rather large gaming community here and nobody seemed to know about it/mention it. I have no intention of getting an Xbox One anytime soon but would have loved to check out the event and try out Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Sorry I missed out.

It was in Songshan.

There wasn't much advert to be honest and only limited number of people could register, up to 400 external.

Nice to see them still holding events in Asia. Since Japan will basically never support a foreign console I would really like to see MS open Korean and Chinese AAA studios if that is even possible.

Nice to see them still holding events in Asia. Since Japan will basically never support a foreign console I would really like to see MS open Korean and Chinese AAA studios if that is even possible.

Chinese would be tricky, but I'd be very interested in seeing what a Korean AAA studio would put out; all I'm familiar with in terms of their game exports are a slew of fairly terrible f2p mmos. Gotta imagine there's more out there.

t26

Chinese would be tricky, but I'd be very interested in seeing what a Korean AAA studio would put out; all I'm familiar with in terms of their game exports are a slew of fairly terrible f2p mmos. Gotta imagine there's more out there.

There are some good RPGs, check out Magna Carta and Crimson Gem Saga

Does China have the same protectionist economic rules as Japan when it comes to foreign companies starting studios or something?

Hazaku

It was in Songshan.

There wasn't much advert to be honest and only limited number of people could register, up to 400 external.

Sounds like the Xbox fan event being held at the end of the month here in New Zealand.
First 400 people who RSVP'd to the Facebook event basically get invites.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Out here on this tour (currently in my hotel room in Hong Kong) for Halo 5 and the fans have been incredible. They're decked out in their badass rare Asia-only Halo gear, and are super passionate. Very humbling experience.

Also I finally got to play Mighty No. 9 and Cuphead. Day 1 for both.

airborn

Glad they took the time to localize for tier 2 European countries. It was totally worth the wait and their current 1 year celebration is amazing.
Absolutely!

Meanwhile my activity feed is still being filled with French achievements, because why would we fix that.

I don't think any of the Tier 2 countries will ever have marketing for Xbox One.
In Finland we got mail with link to page where we got to see our game time of past year, achievements and how stak against others. But nothing more I think, though I now live in Norway so I'm not sure is there nothing here to celebrate.

Caayn

Absolutely!

Meanwhile my activity feed is still being filled with French achievements, because why would we fix that.
French? PPpfffttt try Japanese. In terms of language and locales the Xbox dashboard and its apps are still a mess. And haven't improved much since launch.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sounds like the Xbox fan event being held at the end of the month here in New Zealand.
First 400 people who RSVP'd to the Facebook event basically get invites.

Ah cool, it looks to be the exact same thing but re-branded name.

Guess Fan Fest is just an Asian thing haha

Out here on this tour (currently in my hotel room in Hong Kong) for Halo 5 and the fans have been incredible. They're decked out in their badass rare Asia-only Halo gear, and are super passionate. Very humbling experience.

Also I finally got to play Mighty No. 9 and Cuphead. Day 1 for both.

Sounds awesome.

Would you be able to expand on what you've heard from gamers over there and what thoughts they have on the Xbox brand and perhaps what they like/requesting most?

French? PPpfffttt try Japanese. In terms of language and locales the Xbox dashboard and its apps are still a mess. And haven't improved much since launch.
Why can't they just do it like Playstation does? It's so annoying (with all due respect to my fellow brazillian) seeing Brazillian portuguese on my achievements instead of portuguese from Portugal. It's not that hard Microsoft, it really isn't.

Yes, it's different.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
man you guys went there but no one showed up at Xbox Fanfest in Toronto last month :(

You guys no love Canada?

Wanted to see Halo 5 SP yoo

We are trying to support as many events around the world as possible while finishing the game. Apologies if we can't send a full crew to each event.

I left early, have to work tomorrow.

Event is nice but I was expecting something more if it was meant to end the fanfest in Asia. The chance to win E3 ticket is great lol.

Fan reaction is mild since I guess the announcements should be old news for most in the loop.
. Sorry I stayed silent when I was called out, preferred my anonymity =p

Top Bottom