• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom full game download breakdown: 40% PC, 30% PSN, 20% XBL, 10% NN; <10% JP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This was technically revealed a month ago, but no one seemed to notice because they upload their Q&A a week or two after their conference call.

Capcom said:
Q. Please provide information about full game download sales volume for each platform.

A. The share of sales is about 40% for PC, 30% for the PlayStation Network, 20% for Xbox Live Arcade and 10% for Nintendo platforms. Japan accounts for less than 10% of these sales.
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2015/1st/explanation_2015_1st_02.pdf

Given that the numbers add up to 100%, I'm assuming they mean 40% of Capcom's total digital full game sales are on PC, not that 40% of Capcom's full game PC sales are digital.

Warxard

Banned
So...you know, Capcom since PC is doing really well for you cats...and you do have quite a bit of Legacy titles that released on PC...like Super Turbo...

67dc0f20fc63e4811fc1f19f2b5a3147.320x240x121.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Figured PC would have a bigger share considering theres basically no retail there. But then they really havent put out a ton of retail games lately anyway.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's... actually a bit higher for PC than I would have expected, since Capcom doesn't really have any PC-focused franchises in its stable. It's all console ports, though I guess they tend to bring out pretty good ports nowadays.

Momentary

Banned
That's... actually a bit higher for PC than I would have expected, since Capcom doesn't really have any PC-focused franchises in its stable. It's all console ports, though I guess they tend to bring out pretty good ports nowadays.

I think the last utterly crap port from them was the original RE4 or DMC3.

Deep down inside... I wouldn't mind seeing a rerelease of Chaos Legion with proper controller support. That port was atrocious.

4Tran

The number that jumps out is the tiny amount of Japanese buyers who have an interest in digital. It really speaks to how different that market is from the rest of the world.

It'd be interesting to also know the relative percentages considering the amount of games on each platform. On the eShop there are way less games than the other platforms.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Figured PC would have a bigger share considering theres basically no retail there. But then they really havent put out a ton of retail games lately anyway.

Capcom has been going pretty aggressively digital in the West with things like RE and DMC that have good appeal on consoles.

It'd be interesting to also know the relative percentages considering the amount of games on each platform. On the eShop there are way less games than the other platforms.
I think these are the relative percentages, unless you mean physical versus digital for each platform.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Does "eshop" count 3DS, and Wii VC?

Anyways I'm not too surprised since digital is by far the dominant format on PC, while physical is more dominant on consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since DD sales make up less than 20% on consoles I thought PC would have a bigger share in digital.

They release a lot of digital only and digital first games like RE:R2, RE:HD, and DmC/DMC4SE.

~20% is the average for publisher games that are also at retail.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So we actually know the PC sales for the games they released in the 12 months prior to this call if we want to be speculative about console sales for the titles.

RE:R2: Owners: 150,448 ± 9,212
RE:HD: Owners: 161,247 ± 9,537
DMC4:SE: Owners: 49,262 ± 5,272

Of course a confounding issue is also catalog sales and distribution between titles.

Arulan

Between this, Konami's recent platform evaluation, Sega's statements about PC, and other smaller developers with niche titles being released on Steam showing very favorable results, it seems a lot of Japanese developers are finally embracing the platform.

In before dismissive comments about the state of the PC.

Dinda

If PC sells so good than finally release Dragon's Dogma on PC Capcom!

Is what i have written countless times when such news was posted........and then...it happpened!

Warxard

Banned
So we actually know the PC sales for the games they released in the 12 months prior to this call if we want to be speculative about console sales for the titles.

Of course a confounding issue is also catalog sales and distribution between titles.

Wow RE: Rev 2 did really good!

Foffy

Banned

It kind of helps that their PC ports have been the definitive editions for games for quite a while.

RE6 on PC is still the only version that runs at 60fps, no?

Jakten

What is Japan's reluctance to go digital? I thought they had blazing fast internet.

I think people in Japan are generally more interested in mobile stuff instead of consoles or PC now-a-days. Japan also has a much smaller market compared to NA (and I think this probably includes Europe also).

thelastword

Banned
This was technically revealed a month ago, but no one seemed to notice because they upload their Q&A a week or two after their conference call.

Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2015/1st/explanation_2015_1st_02.pdf

Given that the numbers add up to 100%, I'm assuming they mean 40% of Capcom's total digital full game sales are on PC, not that 40% of Capcom's full game PC sales are digital.
What exactly would a "full game" qualify as?

I think these are the relative percentages, unless you mean physical versus digital for each platform.

This are shares over total digital sales; e.g. Capcom sold 100 digital copies and 40 of them come from PC, 30 from PSN and so on.

I was asking for a breakdown considering the total amount of games released on each platform. 10% on NN seems low but there are relatively fewer games on Nintendo platforms wrt PSN, PC, XBL.

kadotsu

Banned
It's volume, not revenue (unless I read it wrong). Of course it's going to be high on the race to the bottom platform in terms of pricing. That said I'm glad that yet another company is aggressively putting their legacy titles on Steam.

Unai

It kind of helps that their PC ports have been the definitive editions for games for quite a while.

RE6 on PC is still the only version that runs at 60fps, no?

Not only 6 but all the others too. I don't think there's a resident evil that run at 60 on consoles (other than that dreamcast port).

Sesha

If we round out the numbers:

RE Rev 2 = 1,400,000 - 151,000 = 1,249,000
RE HD = 1,000,000 - 161,000 = 839,000

What is Japan's reluctance to go digital? I thought they had blazing fast internet.

An inherent preference for physical over digital, among other things.

thelastword

Banned
Digital sales that are a full game (either full priced or budget priced) as opposed to DLC, subscription fees, or microtransactions.
Ahh.... fair enough......it seems psn sales are in line with reports which indicate that digital sales are in the 25-30% range for that platform. Not surprising that PC is ahead there, since that's a primarily digital platform, thought it would be higher on pc though, with such quick discounts on that platform and the many pc sales that occur.......Looks like PSN sales are not far off at all, when you consider it's heavy retail influence.

animus82

Banned
I just don't get Japan.

Less than 10% of downloads coming from Japan. With the Internet they have?

What a waste.... I wonder how well Netflix will do there.

BigDug13

I had 100mb connection when I lived there. Then it got shut off and I had to find a translator on base to help me out with the phone call. Apparently there was a 30GB per week cap that I didn't know about.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Really? That is smaller than I thought since the pc depends almost entirely on the digital market.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I just don't get Japan.

Less than 10% of downloads coming from Japan. With the Internet they have?

What a waste.... I wonder how well Netflix will do there.

It is cheaper to buy the physical copy then resell it than to buy digital.

Top Bottom