• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden 2 (Koei Tecmo, PS4/PS3/Vita) announced, open world

PranooY

UkEkwuG.png

Toukiden 2 Revealed at SCEJA Conference
Details: Open world. For PS3/PS4/Vita

Lock, if old.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Still cross gen...but i'll take it! feck. Toukiden was my favorite game this year

Ogawa-san

I couldn't wait for the inevitable sequel. Way to deflate my hype with the open world crap...

Stupid goddamn fad, ugh.

Dinda

Open World? I like that, hope it will be more of a "real" RPG that way instead of a typical instanced Hunting Game.

I couldn't wait for the inevitable sequel. Way to deflate my hype with the open world crap...

Stupid goddamn fad, ugh.

Yeah, I hope that part isn't true. The best thing about Toukiden was that it was missing most of the padding that Monster Hunter has (carrying large items, item collection missions, etc.). If that's gone, I'm not sure what else there is to be excited about.

I need to see this trailer first, but open world gameplay might actually be a good thing for Toukiden. I remember from my experience with Toukiden Kiwami that the game doesn't use it's Monster Hunter-style segmented areas very well at all.

MH uses the segmented areas in combat by making the majority of monsters jump between different areas, and letting you escape to different areas when you're fighting said monster to heal and rebuff, allowing you to control the pacing of the battle. And when you're gathering, every area has its own particular geography, visual landmarks and easily identifiable collectables, so they're always different and you can always get an idea of where you're heading.

Nearly every area in a Toukiden Age blends together. Apart from the shape of an area in an Age and maybe some houses, they're all flat and samey. Especially because items you pick up in Toukiden are little flashing stars.

The boss Oni in Toukiden never leave their encounter area and your always locked in that area until you beat it or get KOed. Arena battles are okay, but it gets way too repetitive when all of them are the same thing. Especially because the Oni behaviour is much simpler than MH monster behaviour.

I'm optimistic that an open world area, hopefully with some interesting geography, might give Toukiden's style of hunting a kick in the pants.

impact

Banned
PS3 and Vita holding the game back. Oh well more Toukiden is always good I guess, even though it should be 60fps.

That's an interesting way to evolve the series.

The first game was great, so I'm definitely hyped for this.

KT doing some amazing stuff lately.

Dueck

Banned

Stupid goddamn fad, ugh.

Not my favorite setting, but let's take a breath and see how it plays. I didn't even like Toukiden at first, then I loved it.

Redhood

Openworld Goodness! So more like an action huting RPG! Yas!

I was waiting for hunting games to start doing this.

Kamina777

Banned
Looming forward to this after getting to the end of the story of Kiwami. Still waiting for gameplay and info on the open world.

Isomac

I would be fine if open world just means, that they took out the loading times from area 1 to 2 and so on.

Although large open world hunting game sounds interesting too!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Stupid goddamn fad, ugh.

Isn't monster hunter open world? i mean the world is divided in small maps but you are free to go where you want right?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
>< I'm so excited to see how they have upgraded things and added things gameplay wise to the original

autoduelist

I think people are overreacting to 'open world' and jumping to ubisoft style conclusions.

Many older jrpgs like DQ8 or Skies of Arcadia could almost be called 'open world' in that you can essentially travel whereever, whenever.

Or, even Dark Souls had the term 'open world' used for it, because it was more interconnected that Demon's.

No need for pitchforks yet... and heck, even if they did something more standard 'open world', it's still possible they can still get it right.

Ogawa-san

It depends on how they're making it. The developers of Attack on Titan said that the PS4 is the lead platform for it.
If it's cross-play like Kiwami, it probably means everyone's getting the same framerate again. PS4 Kiwami had no other reasons to be locked at 30fps, so I take that was it.
Isn't monster hunter open world? i mean the world is divided in small maps but you are free to go where you want right?
I haven't played a lot of MH4 but in Toukiden it was the same, zones divided in small numbered maps you could roam around. If they're going open world now, I take it means throwing you in a huge open space giving you the freedom to get lost.

redcrayon

Not really- the different hunting locations are divided into up to a dozen zones with load times between them, it's more of a set of linked arenas, although the verticality of some areas in MH4 did a lot to make it feel more like hunting grounds with cliffs and canopies rather than flat arenas.

It could just mean that the locations are single large areas, allowing flowing battles with large numbers of Oni, rather than just battling in whichever small area it appears in.

I don't think it's necessarily a good thing- the different zones work to allow hunters to retreat, and to provide different challenges next to each other- cliffs next to a plain next to a forest, for example, with only a two second gap between them. Open world is much harder to have such a variety immediately next to each other and looking coherent, the goal should be to make interesting battles for hunter teams, not a beautiful landscape that is less interesting to fight on for twenty minutes.

However, it could be really cool and set Toukiden apart as a hunting game if they get it right, the combat is already good, and Toukiden's arenas lacked both the difference in terrain features that MH had, and the way that monsters would use them. Toukiden's Oni are supposed to be an intelligent, invading army rather than alpha predators, maybe they can use that to expand on it.

kagamin

I'm really most concerned about what they actually mean by"open world" like what? Do they mean seamless transition between town and fields? Will wait for more information.

eizarus

Banned
Looking forward to this. Toukiden was one of my favourite hunter games last year. Hope the combat is slightly more fast paced. Other than that I didn't have many complaints about the original.

Let's see if they manage to do the open world right.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it's cross-play like Kiwami, it probably means everyone's getting the same framerate again. PS4 Kiwami had no other reasons to be locked at 30fps, so I take that was it.

I haven't played a lot of MH4 but in Toukiden it was the same, zones divided in small numbered maps you could roam around. If they're going open world now, I take it means throwing you in a huge open space giving you the freedom to get lost.

Not really- the different hunting locations are divided into up to a dozen zones with load times between them, it's more of a set of linked arenas, although the verticality of some areas in MH4 did a lot to make it feel more like hunting grounds with cliffs and canopies rather than flat arenas.

It could just mean that the locations are single large areas, allowing flowing battles with large numbers of Oni, rather than just battling in whichever small area it appears in.

I don't think it's necessarily a good thing- the different zones work to allow hunters to retreat, and to provide different challenges next to each other- cliffs next to a plain next to a forest, for example, with only a two second gap between them. Open world is much harder to have such a variety immediately next to each other and looking coherent, the goal should be to make interesting battles for hunter teams, not a beautiful landscape that is less interesting to fight on for twenty minutes.

However, it could be really cool and set Toukiden apart as a hunting game if they get it right, the combat is already good, and Toukiden's arenas lacked both the difference in terrain features that MH had, and the way that monsters would use them. Toukiden's Oni are supposed to be an intelligent, invading army rather than alpha predators, maybe they can use that to expand on it.

I only tried the psp MH games so i don't know if with newer games things changed, but the presence of loading times between areas doesn't mean that MH isn't open world, in my favorite rpg ever Might & Magic VI you can go wherever you want, even where monster have dozen levels more than you, but the world is divided into smaller maps with loadings between one and the other, does that mean it's not open world? I don't think so.

redcrayon

I only tried the psp MH games so i don't know if with newer games things changed, but the presence of loading times between areas doesn't mean that MH isn't open world, in my favorite rpg ever Might & Magic VI you can go wherever you want, even where monster have dozen levels more than you, but the world is divided into smaller maps with loadings between one and the other, does that mean it's not open world? I don't think so.
Well, OK, but the total map size of a MH location is pretty small for the description 'open world'. Sure, there's nothing stopping you going anywhere in it, but when you can circle the entire hunting ground in under two minutes, 'linked arenas' seems more accurate than 'open world' to me. I see what you're saying though.

Stupid goddamn fad, ugh.

I think you're letting the words open world get you way too much here

Hunting Games, would definitely benefit, unless you enjoy loading screens

Hey, if open world means a more cohesive world design than the original's then I'm all for it. An open world hunting game is really easy to screw up so I can see it going badly, but if they get it right it could be pretty rad. I'm cautiously excited. I do like Koei games more than a man probably should though so I'm biased.

co1onel

I don't really see how hunting games would benefit from an open world. The original concept for MH4 started out with an open world, but it didn't suit the gameplay. Running around in a big map doesn't enhance the gameplay, it just forces you to spend more time chasing the monster.

redcrayon

Not necessarily. The multiple areas force confrontation more easily, make it easier to reach the other side of the entire map very quickly, offer different, interesting terrain sets right next to each other and allow hunters to retreat more easily, all good things for an online multiplayer game. It's not just about load screens, there are gameplay implications too.

I don't really see how making the party run for an increased length of time to start a fight when that's the reason the players are there helps online multiplayer, see Evolve.

Still, we don't have anything to go on with what they mean by 'open world' outside of it being a popular buzzword. It could mean no load screens, it could mean a complete shakeup of how Toukiden plays.

Top Bottom