• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden 2 (Koei Tecmo, PS4/PS3/Vita) announced, open world

Ogawa-san

People are surprised they're not going PS4 exclusive considering how bad Kiwami bombed?
Bombed where? In Japan, where it was released a whole nine months after the Vita version with zero improvements other than obviously better graphics? Or the west, where most people saw it as a overpriced Vita port?

It did bomb, but surely they weren't expecting much else.

Santar

Nice!
I quite enjoyed what I played of the first game.
Hopefully the Pc version sold enough to convince them to release this one on PC as well.

eastx

I'm excited for this. Toukiden: Kiwami was so good. Wish they'd make the sequel cross-buy, but Japanese publishers...

nikos

Really looking forward to seeing more of this. Open world should be nice. I'm not really a fan of the traditional Hunter game map layout.

Ridley327

DAT Teaser , glad that they go full sequel , instead of making endless expansions like the "others"

What series does that? All hunting action games have followed the pattern of releasing a base game, an expanded re-release, and then a sequel, just like Toukiden has.

Are KT trying to fill up genre gaps that Capcom are leaving wide open? People want a new Onimusha, an Open world Monster Hunter and Sengoku Basara games overseas.

Between Ni-Oh, Toukiden 2 and their Samurai Warriors localisations, KT are doing historical Japanese games proud. Doing really well at establishing a niche. I hope Toukiden 2's combat packs a bit more of a punch. I enjoyed the gameplay, based off of the demo, but I wanted that kick you get with every hit in Monster Hunter as well.

In order to make Toukiden into a new “poster title” for Koei Tecmo, they felt that it would be best to make a sequel sooner than later.

With the thought of having more immersion in the game, they decided to make it into an open-world title.

Toukiden 2 takes place in the same world and era of the first game.

You’ll get to play comfortably online, and also increase the multiplayer population, but there will be some sort of requirements.

Cross-play and cross-save will be available.

Koei Tecmo want to be able to get feedback on the game through demos as they’ve done in the past with the series.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/1...-in-the-same-world-and-era-as-the-first-game/

Briarios

Gamefly is selling the first one for $19.99 today ... Couldn't resist picking it up. I loved the demo. Looking forward to it being open world, it seems like a perfect fit for the fiction of the world they created.

People wanting Toukiden to be an RPG instead of a MonHun miss the point of Toukiden.

It's like wishing Witcher 3 was a FPS instead of an RPG.

PantsuJo

I love the strong japanese theme of Toukiden, so different from other hunting games but it seems easy compared to the Others. Is Kiwami more complex and hard than vanilla version?

impact

Banned
Holding it back from being canned, you mean?

lol maybe if you're delusional.

People said the same shit about the POSP version last time around and they were wrong. All the PSP version did was hold the game back and hardly added any sales.

Honestly they have to just not fuck up the multiplayer this time. If you're a hunting game, DO NOT FORCE PEOPLE TO PLAY SOLO/WITH AI INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE GAME WITH THEIR FUCKING FRIENDS. THIS IS A MULTIPLAYER GENRE. THANKS.

nynt9

People wanting Toukiden to be an RPG instead of a MonHun miss the point of Toukiden.

It's like wishing Witcher 3 was a FPS instead of an RPG.

Honestly, Toukiden wasn't a great MonHun clone, the elements it did differently from MH were the best things about it so further divergence is fine by me.

Did you know that Witcher 3 is the first open-world Witcher game?

Game. Set. Match.

lol good one

Ridley327

I love the strong japanese theme of Toukiden, so different from other hunting games but it seems easy compared to the Others. Is Kiwami more complex and hard than vanilla version?

It's meant to be all inclusive for new players and returning ones.

Honestly, Toukiden wasn't a great MonHun clone, the elements it did differently from MH were the best things about it so further divergence is fine by me.

Only if you believe that in order to be a hunting game you have to do everything MonHun does. But then if Toukiden was a carbon clone this thread would be about how dumb the game is because it's just a clone. And that Toukiden players should just play Monster Hunter. KT really can't win. Make it too much like MonHun, people bitch. Make it stand out from MonHun...people bitch that it's not MonHun enough.

Toukiden is fine, people who want a carbon copy of Monster Hunter should be playing....Monster Hunter. People who want to hunt monsters in a game that does things it's own way should play Toukiden.

People who want Toukiden to be an entirely different genre should be looking at other games.

As I said it's like going into a Witcher 4 announcement thread and hoping/wishing it was a FPS like Skyrim.

rhandino

Banned
lol maybe if you're delusional.

People said the same shit about the POSP version last time around and they were wrong. All the PSP version did was hold the game back and hardly added any sales.
I think that you are confusing Toukiden Kiwami sales numbers with those of Toukiden vanilla...

Launch of Toukiden: Age of Demons
[PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 122.794 / NEW
[PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 66.016 / NEW

Toukiden Sales during 2014 {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28}
045. [PSV] Toukiden: Kiwami # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 151.638 / 151.638 (79.384 <60,45%>)
245. [PSP] Toukiden: Kiwami # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥5.184) - 28.417 / 28.417 (11.026 <37,13%>)

585. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 5.277 / 238.541 (122.794 <82,18%>)
754. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.05} (¥3.758) - 3.258 / 3.258 (402 <11,81%>)
771. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 3.088 / 163.270 (66.016 <80,13%>)

I remember because the jokes on that thread about Toukiden PSV + PSP numbers "beating" Soul Sacrifice which was Vita only...

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think that you are confusing Toukiden Kiwami sales numbers with those of Toukiden vanilla...

Launch of Toukiden: Age of Demons
[PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 122.794 / NEW
[PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 66.016 / NEW

Toukiden Sales during 2014 {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28}
045. [PSV] Toukiden: Kiwami # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 151.638 / 151.638 (79.384 <60,45%>)
245. [PSP] Toukiden: Kiwami # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥5.184) - 28.417 / 28.417 (11.026 <37,13%>)

585. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 5.277 / 238.541 (122.794 <82,18%>)
754. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.05} (¥3.758) - 3.258 / 3.258 (402 <11,81%>)
771. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 3.088 / 163.270 (66.016 <80,13%>)

I remember because the jokes on that thread about Toukiden PSV + PSP numbers "beating" Soul Sacrifice which was Vita only...

The original Toukiden sold over 550,000 units worldwide where as the expansion is estimated to be over 250,000 at this point.

eastx

People who want Toukiden to be an entirely different genre should be looking at other games.

As I said it's like going into a Witcher 4 announcement thread and hoping/wishing it was a FPS like Skyrim.

It sounds like you're the one who wants Toukiden 2 to be something it's not going to be. The reception here mostly seems positive.

It sounds like you're the one who wants Toukiden 2 to be something it's not going to be. The reception here mostly seems positive.

Yes by wanting Toukiden 2 to be Toukiden 2 I totes want it to be something different. Toukiden had very little RPG elements and you have people who want to be an RPG (specifically because it's going open world, complete with the usual doom and gloom that comes from a game saying they're going to be open world) moreso than what it current is which is KT's approach to Hunting. Or alternatively you have people saying how open world is bad because Monster Hunter doesn't have it thus it shouldn't be done (ignoring the fact Toukiden isn't fucking Monster Hunter so who cares that MH isn't "open world"?).

Toukiden is a solid foundation, let KT do what they want to do with the franchise instead of hoping it's a complete MH clone or a different genre altogether.

Alternatively write KT and ask them to do a side project RPG set in the Toukiden world.

judging by the trailer, it seems pretty unlikely it'll stray from it's boss-focused action game background (avoiding usage of the term 'hunting' since it's needlessly confined). Honestly the game could easily be open world if instead of have a town instance and a field instance, you had a town in the middle of a field and you picked a bounty which spawned a monster in the field.

It's more worrying that the game could end up with even less visual variety due to the open world nature, than the game might be a totally different genre.

Also people berating others for wanting a sequel to be similar to its predecessor are clearly not the most reasonable bunch, do not mind.

Kysen

This time i'm not missing the JP launch. Online will be long gone dead by the time the US version is out.

Open world doesn't mean "The Witcher 3". Somehow, open world games have been lumped together. You have your MMO styled ones like Xenoblade, focused on mob fights. You have your city-based arcade ones like Saints Row. Realistic, more grounded games like GTA. Your emergent, environment-as-a-weapon types like MGS.

Hell, The Witcher is far more quest-based than any of those games.

It's quite possible for an open world game to not follow the line, just like all of those games have. A fighting game isn't just a Street Fighter ripoff, it can be a 3D one like Tekken or an anime fighter like Blazblue.

Walpurgis

Banned
Open world hunts?
leo7.gif

JJP12

Man Koei Tecmo is killing it. I'm probably excited for more of their games than any other publisher right now. I absolutely loved vanilla Toukiden and Kiwami as well. Can't say for sure if having an open world will make it better or worse but it certainly has me intrigued. I'll be there day 1, can't wait!

Can't say I had tons of fun with the first one, but really interested about opening the boundaries. It's about time for someone to shake the structure of hunting games. Not really surprising that Capcom will not be the first one to do that with the mainline Monster Hunter, so nice move here from KT.

CamHostage

I need to see this trailer first, but open world gameplay might actually be a good thing for Toukiden. I remember from my experience with Toukiden Kiwami that the game doesn't use it's Monster Hunter-style segmented areas very well at all...

Nearly every area in a Toukiden Age blends together. Apart from the shape of an area in an Age and maybe some houses, they're all flat and samey. Especially because items you pick up in Toukiden are little flashing stars.

I only played the demo of Toukiden (the PSP demo, no less), but it did seem like a map-watcher's game rather than one where each stage had definition for orientation and combat. It wasn't something that I minded, but your comment that Monster Hunter uses its zones (which were and probably still are a technical limitation) in a tactical manner makes me realize that hating the zone-loading for it being an old-school obstruction made me miss the possible advantages it offered in the hands of smart game designers.

That said, I do look forward to hunting games without so much zoning and feel this is a potentially a positive step forward for Toukiden to ditch the old engine roots and push the series to the next generation.

(Curious, would anybody be able to explain the deflation of excitement in knowing it's open? Sure, there are ways it could go wrong, but there are also ways it could go much better for the franchise with a larger world too, with a good map/arrow and some smart-but-not-too-smart enemy locating features. Is there something specifically that the doubters are reacting to that turns them off to the idea of this series going open-world?)

nynt9

Only if you believe that in order to be a hunting game you have to do everything MonHun does. But then if Toukiden was a carbon clone this thread would be about how dumb the game is because it's just a clone. And that Toukiden players should just play Monster Hunter. KT really can't win. Make it too much like MonHun, people bitch. Make it stand out from MonHun...people bitch that it's not MonHun enough.

Toukiden is fine, people who want a carbon copy of Monster Hunter should be playing....Monster Hunter. People who want to hunt monsters in a game that does things it's own way should play Toukiden.

People don't want Toukiden to be entirely different. But people are welcoming an increase in scope.

Again, your comparison to The Witcher is hilarious because those games were not open world until 3. And Toukiden -> Open world Toukiden is not as nonsensical as Witcher -> FPS Witcher. It's more like Witcher 2 -> Open World Witcher 3, which is exactly what happened.

I liked Toukiden but the environments were terribly bland and it felt arbitrarily limited, it was as if they had levels like that simply because MonHun has levels like that, and if the developers feel they can better realize their games by not having that pointless restriction, more power to them.

FWIW, I think MH would benefit from being more open as well, it would be a more authentic "monster hunting" experience, but I understand that they have a very specific formula that works for them so that's none of my business.

Lain

Nice!
I quite enjoyed what I played of the first game.
Hopefully the Pc version sold enough to convince them to release this one on PC as well.

I hope so too, also because Kiwami was one of their better port jobs on PC, though I'm sure the price probably kinda killed the possible sales of that version.

eastx

I hope so too, also because Kiwami was one of their better port jobs on PC, though I'm sure the price probably kinda killed the possible sales of that version.

Heck no it wasn't. Kiwami had horrendous graphical glitches and performance issues. My system has the specs for it but I can't run it without crashing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So instead of improving it by adding vertical element like in MH4, they made it open world. Lol

Hope its 60fps

Less than 7,000 copies sold so far according to steamspy, hopefully that's enough.

Call me when KT makes decent PC ports. The Toukiden one was better than their other efforts but, still not something I would call "good" I hear the fixes people have done work though.

Freeman76

I really enjoyed the first game but their art style and enemy design were sub-par for me. The gameplay mechanics were really good, if a little 'un-explained', but the fact that monster parts glowed up was really off-putting. Maybe they will address this in the sequel but I expect not many others felt this way.

Lain

Heck no it wasn't. Kiwami had horrendous graphical glitches and performance issues. My system has the specs for it but I can't run it without crashing.

I encountered no graphical glitches and no performance issues, nor crashes of any kind but I played it on Windows 7. I remember reading the game had crashes for Win 8 users but I thought they fixed that in some patch?
Still, given the quality of the other KT ports, Kiwami is probably one of the few that was comparable to the new gen counterparts.

Top Bottom