• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Bioshock remasters?

mindsale

2K is really missing out on the whole remaster craze by not offering a higher framerate, higher resolution console version of Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite that couples DLC.

It's not like 2K's oblivious to the property; they packaged all three games in a last-gen console release. And they've done remasters before with Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. This is not untrodden territory.

Bioshock Infinite at the very least would seem a natural fit; it was released 6 months prior to the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One. You'd think they'd want to keep brand awareness high for any future entries they make in the series (sans Levine, unfortunately [pours out forty]).

Are they holding off for a more opportune time, financially? Perhaps a lull? With their coffers poised to rake in money from Doom, Battleborn, and XCOM 2 is there simply no room or staff for Bioshock remasters?

Sethista

All 3 games remastered with all DLC for 60 would be an opportunity too good to pass up.

But if they do this, it will be like gears probably, launch each one for 40 dollars and we have to wait until the used bins get full.

First post nails it tho, if it does happen, only to helo launch Bioshock 4:
Ryan Returns!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No more remasters.

No more posts like this.

I do agree that in this specific case, Bioshock isn't the greatest candidate for the series remaster treatment.

As far as arguments in favor, Infinite would look great on PS4/X1, and they probably would love to squeeze some more revenue out of it considering its budget.

wiibomb

I'm sad there are no new.. even more sad that Ken Levine will not be there for a new either...

in any case, a remaster of the first 2 would be really nice.. even better if they include infinite

Reckoner

Do we really need this? The game is still pretty good looking and I think it should run decently on most laptops sold right now.

MUnited83

For you.
Sure, why not? All current platforms getting what used to be PS3 exclusive content would be nice. (Bioshock 1)

I'd totally buy a BioShock + Infinite collection. I don't really care about BioShock 2 though, they can leave that one.

It's the best one in the series by itself. And even if you don't agree, it has the Minerva's DLC, which is factually superior to everything else Bioshock ever made.

salromano

I'd totally buy a BioShock + Infinite collection. I don't really care about BioShock 2 though, they can leave that one.

Tsukumo

2K is really missing out on the whole remaster craze by not offering a higher framerate, higher resolution console version of Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite that couples DLC.

It's not like 2K's oblivious to the property; they packaged all three games in a last-gen console release. And they've done remasters before with Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. This is not untrodden territory.

Bioshock Infinite at the very least would seem a natural fit; it was released 6 months prior to the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One. You'd think they'd want to keep brand awareness high for any future entries they make in the series (sans Levine, unfortunately [pours out forty]).

Are they holding off for a more opportune time, financially? Perhaps a lull? With their coffers poised to rake in money from Doom, Battleborn, and XCOM 2 is there simply no room or staff for Bioshock remasters?

I don't think we are going to see anything until 2K decides what to do with the Bioshock brand.
They ripped apart Infinite and X-Com to offer more streamlined products (BioInf and "the Bureau" looked very different when production started) thinking it would get them to sell more copies, instead they were left with the same numbers, if not even less.
I'd be surprised if there is even a Bioshock game in pre-production to be honest.

PFD

Already came out last year
on iOS

Little-Sister-and-Big-Daddy.jpg

:p

In all seriousness though, the game can be played on pretty much any PC nowadays. I'd rather they focus on a new game

mindsale

You may want to revisit it. It's a deeply personal tale of fatherhood and free will and I like its narrative and pacing more than the first Bioshock, but overall it doesn't inspire the wonder that first jaunt through Rapture did.

baconcow

No more remasters.

Your toaster plays bioshock 1 and 2 @ 60fps

not needed

Can we not remaster super old games that can run on TI-84s and weren't even platform exclusive?

Really? A large portion of the current thread ruined by these great contributions.

A BioShock 1, 2, and Infinite remaster collection would be great. The games were fairly taxing on last gen consoles (to run 60 fps) and many missed out in the DLC. They all had great art direction and atmosphere and could each benefit from new engines, like Unreal 4, that have better lighting and other graphic capabilities.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Absolutely -- I would buy a Bioshock remaster with either all 3 games or just Bioshock infinite at 1080/60 in a second.

That, and Skyrim. My god that game needs it, it's just too good to be crippled by last gen tech.

Playing an upgraded version of Bioshock would actually be really awesome. That said, Bioshock is still really playable as it is, so it's not really necessary.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would bet they might be trying to make another one under a new team since Irrational Games broke up.

It might be like how most remasters come while the company has already started to work on the next entry. I'd say they want a solid team before doing any of the work or handing out the game to a port studio. I could be wrong, but it seems logical.

Or they don't want to spend the money doing it when a new BioShock would cost them quite a bit. 2k hasn't said anything new in a while. Infinite could definitely be on next gen consoles. The game(s) look great to this day.

TheMoon

Probably not until they announce the next Bioshock and want to hype its release.

That's what I've been thinking. Take-Two is doing a slightly different dance than the others sometimes but by general industry trends, BS remasters are overdue. Not that I'd have any desire or use for them.

not needed

Couldn't disagree more. Not everyone has or wants a gaming PC, and Bioshock Infinite was a great game that was technically dreadful on the consoles they were released on. Not everything exists in a bubble. I'm personally waiting on this to play Infinite again especially as I missed out on the DLC.

mindsale

I remember when the first Bioshock came out; I had just gotten a new iMac and I could only run the game in jilts and stutters.

I bought an Xbox 360 just to play it and Rapture absolutely blew my mind. The plot was gripping, the textures seethed life and blood. The game was dark, both literally and the undercurrent (pun intended) of class unrest.It was the first game I milked for achievements and I luxuriated in additional replays when I eventually bought a PS3. I absolutely devoured both of its sequels. One canonical, the other not. Both riveting, even the one with the rivet gun.

I'd love to re-experience all of those games with a fresh gloss of paint. They represent some of my absolute favorite memories in gaming, and their taut, philosophical writing could challenge audiences anew.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As much as I love Bioshock, I would much rather see a remake using say UE4.

That said, I'm biased because I play Bioshock at 5k downsampled to 4K.

It would be cool if they remade the original Bioshock using UE4, but like Dictator93 said, you can run Bioshock 1 and 2 at 60fps on just about any modern computer.

mindsale

I'm sure High Voltage will get to them when they get a free slot in their schedule.

Hahahaha. We replaced the water in the Atlantic ocean with a green fog. We felt it would better construe the oppressive nature of Rapture. Also, Tim fucked up on RGB.

system11

Yeah I'd play these again remastered with reliable 60fps on consoles.

Metro Redux is still the masterclass in remasters.

Top Bottom