• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Bioshock remasters?

mindsale

I feel like the ship has sailed... Here's hoping for 360 backwards compatibility though

I hope it's not too late. Also what's going on with that procedural-narrative iOS game Levine's working on? If I've completely butchered the concept in my description of it I apologize.

EBE

A remake of Bioshock could work, I think. something that plays on your expectations by changing things up in the game, adds new environments and maybe enemies... kinda like resident evil.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
The three games would deserve a UE4 remake.

BibiMaghoo

I'm not sure they need them to be honest. Infinite does not at all, and the previous two games have an art style that allows them to look good anyway. I'm not sure there would be any point beyond 'moar trophies for same games' thing that happens.

RowdyReverb

Your toaster plays bioshock 1 and 2 @ 60fps

I don't think they need remastering, they looked good on the old systems.

not needed
Those textures tho
I went back to it recently, and even at 1080p60, the visuals have aged disproportionately worse than the story or gameplay. That makes it a perfect candidate for a remaster, and not just a lazy up-res and framerate boost for XB1/PS4, but a true retouch of the game's assets.
It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least a hi-res texture mod by now, but no such luck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Eh, I don't get into semantics on these things, but I'll take your word for it. Just make them look good and use current levels of system power.

Take Two dont own System Shock and thank god they can fuck around with those games.

BasilZero

Been wanting at least a GOTY edition for Infinite but got the complete collection on PC and been playing it - enjoying it!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel like the quality of remasters is going downhill, as some publishers are using it as cheap vehicle to nab more sales while doing as little as possible.

If such a remaster were to materialize I'd bet anything they'd be sitting at 30fps, with slightly better graphics quality.

jeemer

i've had all 3 of these on pc for ages. played the first a few years back and just couldn't get into it. played infinite briefly at a friends house and wasn't really feeling it either, did receive it in a trade eventually but never installed it.

someone say something that will make me want to play them! can i just play infinite on its own? or is it not as good as the others?

I would be interested in these if they got the Metro Redux treatment and all ran at 1080p 60fps. I think Infinite in particular would look gorgeous.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
i've had all 3 of these on pc for ages. played the first a few years back and just couldn't get into it. played infinite briefly at a friends house and wasn't really feeling it either, did receive it in a trade eventually but never installed it.

someone say something that will make me want to play them! can i just play infinite on its own? or is it not as good as the others?

Bioshock has one of the best stories and atmosphere in the history of FPS. It just brilliant.
Infinite can be played alone, but you will miss a whole lot of references.

xrnzaaas

It's 2K so you should all expect the Bioshock Rapture Collection and Bioshock Columbia Edition to be sold separately. ;p

dan2026

I'd love a remastered collection of Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite.

60fps, 1080p would be great. What is the downside to this?

belmonkey

If they weren't remastered like Gears of War and simply end up quick ports like Dishonored at a higher resolution, I dunno if I'd be surprised if at least Bioshock Infinite was only 30 fps.

mindsale

The idea of Bioshock Infinite already needing a "remaster" is quite insane.

This is truly the remaster gen.

Eh, I understand the oversaturation when it comes to middling titles, but these are some of the most critically-acclaimed of last gen. They had exposure in circles beyond gaming. Preserving them is almost like a Criterion Collection for the medium, and I personally welcome any chance to replay them better-optimized for my current couch setup.

Eh, I understand the oversaturation when it comes to middling titles, but these are some of the most critically-acclaimed of last gen. They had exposure in circles beyond gaming. Preserving them is almost like a Criterion Collection for the medium, and I personally welcome any chance to replay them better-optimized for my current couch setup.

You know, I wonder if there could ever be a company that is great at remasters in the way that Criterion is great with Blu Rays. That company could freelance for Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Activision, etc. and simply do amazing remasters. Include things like behind the scenes info, interviews with creators, etc.

That might be kind of cool.

Alebrije

Just BS 1 deserves a remaster but even it should include new story levels. Just playing the game with better textures and lighting its not enough.

The BioShock games get DEEPLY discounted with every Steam sale, can't imagine the demand is there. The game would need a control overhaul as well at this point, at least bringing BioShock 1 up to 2's control scheme, which was infinitely better.

Loxley

Bioshock will have it's 10 year anniversary in 2017, which really isn't all that far away. It strikes me as a perfect time to release a "Bioshock Anniversary Collection" - or at the very least a remaster of the first game. By that point I'd like to think that 2K would have also announced a new entry in the franchise, so it would be a good way to get some hype going.

Also, would people really be shocked if this happened? They're three of the most critically-acclaimed games of the previous generation (not to mention they sold really well), if anything that makes them the most prime candidates for remasters.

I'm with you, OP. I would bite. I was just shopping eBay and Amazon for the BS 1&2 package on PS3. I am selling my 360 and looking to migrate a few games I loved into my PS3 library. And I never played 2.

Morts

I loved those games but for some reason the idea of playing any of them again seems like a chore. Especially the first.

Falchion

I'd buy it because I only played the first one and briefly started Infinite. If it came with the Burial DLC I'd be a happy camper.

Top Bottom